Where is Sauron's wiliness in the conversation with Dáin?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Where is Sauron's wiliness in the conversation with Dáin?

Postby Aragorn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:08 am

In the council of Elrond, Glóin tells about a messenger of Mordor that came to the Lonely Mountain and spoke with Dáin. The messenger told him that Sauron offers the dwarves a deal in which he would give them rings, in exchange of information about hobbits, in order to get to Bilbo and the One Ring. Following Glóin's description of the meeting, it seems that an open and common suspicion lay between the two. I can't see a reason for Sauron to believe that the dwarves would actually accept the terms of his offer and extradite Bilbo naively. Then Glóin says that he has been sent to warn Bilbo in the house of Elrond. And at that point, I think that Sauron has done a huge mistake, by not sending a spy alongside Glóin, whom heading to Bilbo. Of course, it doesn't have to be a visible one: Sauron has plenty of spy animals, according to Gandalf's words in the same chapter. It is unlikely to Sauron, the master of tricks, to miss such an opportunity. What do you think?
Aragorn
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Where is Sauron's wiliness in the conversation with Dáin

Postby Denethor » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:26 am

My guess is that Sauron was trying to appeal to Dwarven greed (help me, and you will get the Dwarven Rings back!). Or at least trying to stir up enough internal division among the Dwarves (*some* of them might consider it a good deal) - it is implied that at least some Dwarves fought with Sauron during the Last Alliance.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Sauron seems to have rather expected others to think the way he did. Tempt them as they were tempted before- with the power of the rings. Who wouldn't fall for that? This is why sending Hobbits to destroy the Ring worked. Sauron could not imagine the heir of Isildur NOT taking the ring; he could not imagine anyone destroying it. He sure wouldn't. He'd take the power.

I expect his thinking was similar with the Dwarves. He wasn't stupid- he knew they might turn him down. But he also thought there was a chance they'd take the bait. Why would they care about a Hobbit, anyway? You know how Dwarves are.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby ngaur » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:56 am

I suspect any spies that Sauron set on Gloin and Gimli, and their party, lost the track, along with their lives, at the Carrock crossing, where the Beornings roam.

Also I do not have the time table clear, but at this time Sauron and his ring-wraiths may already have shifted their interest towards the Shire and the name Baggins.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby TheGreenWizard » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Sauron seems to be seeking only information at this point, it would seem. The Gaffer's interaction with the Nazgul at Bag End would seem to support this assumption as well.
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Return to The Books (Tolkien)