Could Sauron foreseen the destruction of the ring?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Could Sauron foreseen the destruction of the ring?

Postby Aragorn » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:38 pm

During the books, the great flaw of Sauron is depicted: his incapability to assume that anyone would prefer to destroy the ring rather than use it once it fell to his hands. To my opinion, there are some reasons to believe that he actually could foreseen it.
The first reason is that, as Elrond maintains, Sauron wasn't evil in the beginning. If so, it may be that even during his ascending in the end of the third age, a trace of good was still remained at him, slight though it be. I think that this trace was enough for him to feel some identifying with the desire of the people of the west to overthrow him, and to assume, due to their lesser numbers, that they would do anything to assure that.
Second reason: Gandalf himself told Frodo at Bag End that Sauron believed that the elves destroyed the ring. Only at his rise he learned that it is not true, so he probably believed in this for most of the third age, long enough for the false belief to be indeliable from his memory. If so, doesn't it likely that his first thought after his rising would be, "Ok, they didn't destroy the ring, but perhaps it's better for me to fortify Mount Doom and prevent them to do so, just in case"?
Third reason: The revealation of Aragron in the Palantír and the results of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. In the chapter "The Land of Shadow" in book six, it is said that Sauron was pondering at the appearance of Aragorn and his sword Andúril, and "the Dark Power was deep in thought". Let's try to suggest what are these deep thoughts. I don't think that he was actually worried about Aragorn's number of soldiers, but it is possible that he saw his unexpected default as a first sign that he gets what he deserves due to his being evil. This thought could lead him to search for other ways to ensure his winning and survival, in addition to his military force, like a greek king consulting with the Oracle before his riding to war. Also, the realization that he has underestimated the numbers of the armies of Gondor and Rohan in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, could make him realize that perhaps he underestimated their moral compass too, and that maybe they are interested in the destruction of the ring and not in the use of it.
I will be glad to read your comments.
Aragorn
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Could Sauron foreseen the destruction of the ring?

Postby Aragorn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:16 am

unexpected *fall
Aragorn
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Billobob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:03 am

My best guess is that since Sauron thought that the ring was in control of man he assumed the ring would easily corrupt it's user (since men a the most susceptible to the ring.) So I guess he didn't count on the actions of a pure person.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:22 pm

In all likelyhood, even if Sauron would have suspected them of intending to destroy the ring, he would still have expected them to come attempting it with force, and not with stealth. In that way the whole of Mordor can be seen as a fortification and guard of Mount Doom.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby TheGreenWizard » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 pm

This is an interesting question. The books, in fact, mention several times that Sauron would immediately assume that the possessor would wish to use the Ring as a weapon. Why is this so? Sauron's power is mighty, both mentally and physically. So why would such a great power overlook an obvious option of the enemy? The go to answer here would be that lust for the Ring clouds one's judgement. But should we accept that seemlingly too simple of a notion?
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Actually I was recently thinking about this, (yes I hypothesize about LOTR all the time I'm a nerd) and my best guess is that Sauron just can't comprehend anyone acting altruistically since it's totally foreign to his nature. Essentially Sauron couldn't imagine anyone destroying it because he couldn't imagine anyone being that altruistic.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby TheGreenWizard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 am

I understand that, and that is the justification throughout the book as well. Is this laziness on Tolkien's part? Sauron was of the Maiar, the most powerful beings in Middle Earth. Should we so easily accept that Sauron did not give the choice of destruction the slightest thought? Just a couple things to think about.
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am

Yeah I see what your saying. Honestly it would've been nice if Tolkien had just given us a smudge more of Sauron's perspective. Though of course it would also be nice if I had half the literary talent of Tolkien :wink:.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)