At what chapter of The Hobbit is the ring first mentioned?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

At what chapter of The Hobbit is the ring first mentioned?

Postby tolringer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:37 am

I've read the book a long time ago and don't have it in possession right now, and I'd like to know at what chapter do we first learn about the One Ring, or when it is first mentioned?
I'd read it again, but it's just that I need to know soon :)

Thanks!
tolringer
Petitioner to the Council

Re: At what chapter of The Hobbit is the ring first mentione

Postby Denethor » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:45 pm

The Ring shows up on the first page of Riddles in the Dark. Note that it isn't the One Ring at that point - it's just *a* Ring, that turns out to cause invisibility.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 am

Gollum's ring didn't become The Ring until Tolkien had started work on the sequel. (In The Hobbit, even Sauron (the Necromancer) was only stuck in as a gimmick to get Gandalf away from the Dwarves and let Thorin & Co. blunder along without a guide).
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby tolringer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 am

Thank you for the quick answer 8)
I thought I'd call it The One Ring since I already know the sequel :P
I've also read (if I remember correctly) that he didn't even plan to write the sequal and come up with The One Ring idea only after the success of The Hobbit
What a great connection he did between the ring in The Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings story!
tolringer
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Denethor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:58 pm

tolringer wrote:Thank you for the quick answer 8)
I thought I'd call it The One Ring since I already know the sequel :P
I've also read (if I remember correctly) that he didn't even plan to write the sequal and come up with The One Ring idea only after the success of The Hobbit
What a great connection he did between the ring in The Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings story!

Correct, he didn't intend to write a sequel. But his publisher insisted. So he toyed with ideas about what to do with Bilbo (e.g. he runs out of money, he gets married(!), before deciding on Bilbo's nephew, Bingo Bolger-Baggins, being the protagonist. Then the Black Rider turned up, and Tolkien made the connection between the Ring and the Necromancer...
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Galin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:49 am

tolringer wrote: I thought I'd call it The One Ring since I already know the sequel :P

And you were quite correct to do so of course (I doubt Denethor's note was meant as a correction).

And Bilbo himself didn't know it was the One Ring until later. And it could be argued that the One had already begun its work on Bilbo before he recorded his first account of the Ring Finding, as that version didn't come out as truthful as it might have, although both versions remained part of the legendarium from Middle-earth.
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am

More than "could be suggested".

From "Of the Finding of the Ring" in the Prologue to the Second Edition of LOTR:

Gandalf, however, disbelieved Bilbo’s first story, as soon as he heard it, and he continued to be very curious about the ring. Eventually he got the true tale out of Bilbo after much questioning, which for a while strained their friendship; but the wizard seemed to think the truth important. Though he did not say so to Bilbo, he also thought it important, and disturbing, to find that the good hobbit had not told the truth from the first: quite contrary to his habit. The idea of a ‘present’ was not mere hobbitlike invention, all the same. It was suggested to Bilbo, as he confessed, by Gollum’s talk that he overheard; for Gollum did, in fact, call the ring his ‘birthday present’, many times. That also Gandalf thought strange and suspicious; but he did not discover the truth in this point for many more years, as will be seen in this book

And from "The Shadow of the Past":

‘Let me see – it was in the year that the White Council drove the dark power from Mirkwood, just before the Battle of Five Armies, that Bilbo found his ring. A shadow fell on my heart then, though I did not know yet what I feared. I wondered often how Gollum came by a Great Ring, as plainly it was – that at least was clear from the first. Then I heard Bilbo’s strange story of how he had “won” it, and I could not believe it. When I at last got the truth out of him, I saw at once that he had been trying to put his claim to the ring beyond doubt. Much like Gollum with his “birthday present”. The lies were too much alike for my comfort. Clearly the ring had an unwholesome power that set to work on its keeper at once.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Galin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 am

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:More than "could be suggested".

It "could be argued"... and yep, as you did :)
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Return to The Books (Tolkien)