Price-gouging on the posthumous works

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Price-gouging on the posthumous works

Postby Denethor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 am

Please excuse my rant, but I need to vent.

Today, at my local bookshop, I saw the new posthumous work, The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, on sale for $NZ 45 (that's $US 31.94 at today's exchange rate). Now, the book in question features a mere one hundred pages, with the work itself taking up only 508 lines.

Sorry, but that is blatant price-gouging. I realise that we're talking a very niche market here, but if you're going to charge that sort of price, it'd make more sense to lump this work in with some of the other stuff that has been released over the past few years (Sigrid and Gudrun, The Fall of Arthur, The Beowulf translation, The retelling of Kullervo). That way the reader would actually be getting some value for their money. As it is, either the Estate or the publisher (or both) is treating us fans as a cash-cow, and I am not amused.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Re: Price-gouging on the posthumous works

Postby solicitr » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 am

Blame HarperCollins, or the whole publishing industry: thirty bucks US is the going rate for a hardcover book, even a slender one. Add to that the fact that this particular book will only be of interest to a small niche market, so it's not like the publishers can cover their costs on volume.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)