Does “Vingilótë” mean “Tiarella”?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Does “Vingilótë” mean “Tiarella”?

Postby l1201669 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 am

According to the Tolkien Gateway and other sources, name of Eärendil’s ship Vingilótë (or Vingilot) means foam-flower. On the other hand, according to Wikipedia, foamflower is equivalent to tiarella, a genius of wildflower. Is the first related to the second? Can Vingilótë be translated as Tiarella into English, like it was translated as Rothinzil into Adûnaic? Maybe the answer is obvious to native English speakers, but I am not.
l1201669
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Does “Vingilótë” mean “Tiarella”?

Postby heliona » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am

I would suggest that the "foam-flower" for the ship refers to the sea foam that a ship creates when it sails, and any resemblence in name to the actual flower is coincidental. It appears that the actual flower, foamflower, is native to the US, and thus possibly not well-known to Tolkien.
Image<-- Are you looking for me? It's Squirrel Month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Re: Does “Vingilótë” mean “Tiarella”?

Postby scirocco » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 pm

I had also unconsciously thought of the "flower" part of "foam-flower" as a verb rather than a noun - the image being of the foam welling up around the prow of a boat rather than a comparison with a botanical plant. And yet the "lote" part of Vingilote is the same root as the "loth" part of Lothlorien, which I thought of as a noun (Dreamflower) rather than an activity "the place where dreams arise and get turned into reality".
But maybe that is wrong and Tolkien was using the "flower" part of both words in an active sense of "welling up, forming out of nothing."
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)