A question about Elves.

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

A question about Elves.

Postby Miguelon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Hey, I'm sorry if this question is misplaced or repeated but i couldn't find an answer anywhere.
So I read somewhere sometime ago (don't remember the source) that the elves in Middle Earth were not too keen in destroying the On Ring. The reason was somewhat along the lines of their rings of power being linked to the One Ring, meaning: no One Ring = no power for Narya, Nenya and Vilya (simplified).
Is this true or blasphemy?
Miguelon
Petitioner to the Council

Re: A question about Elves.

Postby Galin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 am

For consideration, from the Council of Elrond...

"We know not for certain," answered Elrond sadly. "Some hope that the Three Rings, which Sauron has never touched, would then become free, and their rulers might heal the hurts of the world that he has wrought. But maybe when the One has gone, the Three will fail, and many fair things will fade and be forgotten. That is my belief."

"Yet all the Elves are willing to endure this chance," said Glorfindel "if by it the power of Sauron may be broken, and the fear of his dominion be taken away for ever."

I note also Galadriel's words to Frodo in The Mirror of Galadriel: "The love of the Elves for their land and their works is deeper than the deeps of the Sea, and their regret is undying and cannot ever wholly be assuaged. Yet they will cast all away rather than submit to Sauron: for they know him now."

A post with Glorfindel and Galadriel both... it must be my birthday :)
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Galin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 am

And it almost was my 500th post too!

Though now... this one is... drat.
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, Elrond (Half-Elven but still) and Cirdan tried to get Isildur to destroy the Ruling Ring when he had a chance.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Miguelon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Well thanks a lot both of you, really helpful.
Miguelon
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Tolkien)