Beren and Luthien book

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Beren and Luthien book

Postby Billobob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello I know this isn't the place to post this topic but as that forum seems to be dead (and I can post in there) I have to share this news here. This year there's going to be a middle earth spinoff movie based around the adventures of Beren and Luthien.
Here's a link for more information:http://ew.com/article/2016/10/19/jrr-tolkien-beren-and-luthien-2017/

So what do you think?
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Re: Beren and Luthien movie

Postby heliona » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:44 pm

Billobob, that link is referring to the new Beren and Luthien book that is being published this year. I'm not sure whether there is already a thread about it in the Books (Tolkien) forum, so I shall move this there so people can discuss it there. :)

There certainly won't be an official Beren and Luthien film as the rights to content outside of LotR and The Hobbit are still owned by the Tolkien Estate. There may of course be a fan-made film at some point. :)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Re: Beren and Luthien book

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:06 pm

An argument could be made -- though it would be a weak one -- that a film about Luthien and Beren could be made based on the brief song Aragorn sings in LOTR. However, if any details that were not included in that song but are in the longer version written by Tolkien and published by Christopher were included, I have no doubt that the Estate would challenge it. So any movie would likely deviate greatly from the story as written by Tolkien.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Re: Beren and Luthien movie

Postby Billobob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:01 pm

heliona wrote:Billobob, that link is referring to the new Beren and Luthien book that is being published this year. I'm not sure whether there is already a thread about it in the Books (Tolkien) forum, so I shall move this there so people can discuss it there. :)

There certainly won't be an official Beren and Luthien film as the rights to content outside of LotR and The Hobbit are still owned by the Tolkien Estate. There may of course be a fan-made film at some point. :)

Ok, guess I goofed up :)
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon May 01, 2017 1:51 pm

No worries. The story would make a good film, but I think it's unlikely. :)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Morwenna » Thu May 11, 2017 5:35 pm

So there really is going to be a Beren and Luthien book? I wondered if such a thing would ever happen.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sat May 13, 2017 4:52 pm

The original release date that was announced was May 4, 2017, but that has been pushed back to June 1 in the UK, but there is no current release date listed in the U.S. :(
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Here is John Garth's review of the new book in the New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/boo ... lost-tales
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Tue May 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Thank you for that review. Now I have to go book-hunting. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Linden » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for the link to the book review Voronwe
Linden
Ranger of the North

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm

By the way, it was released in the U.S. on June1 after all. Amazon.com had faulty info.
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 am

My review of this book was published yesterday at the online Journal of Tolkien Research, which is edited by Doug Anderson. If anyone is interested, it can be accessed at: http://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolki ... l4/iss2/5/
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby Elmtree » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

I've certainly been out of the loop here. I was unaware of this book. Just finished the fantastic audio of Children of Hurin, read by Christopher Lee (I wish he had been recorded reading everything Tolkien). I cant' find an audio version of Beren and Luthien (yet). Yes, I could just read it but travelling to see some of my distant children listening to Tolkien on audio in the car has become a 'thing'.

My youngest son, who was a toddler when I began posting on TORC, grew up to be a Tolkien fanatic (I wonder how that happened) whose favorite "book" is the Silmarillion. He is the one who got me listening to Children of Hurin. I'm wondering if he knows about this (he probably does).

Beren and Luthien would indeed make a good movie in the right hands. But I don't think we'll see that happening any time soon.

edit--- Okay, as I typed this my youngest daughter (in her twenties) walked in and said "um, mom. You know i have this book upstairs."

I really AM out of the loop.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby scirocco » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Elmtree wrote:I cant' find an audio version of Beren and Luthien (yet).

The Beren and Luthien book is an amalgam of the prose and verse versions of the story. The prose version (the Silmarillion version at least) has been read aloud by Martin Shaw in the Silmarillion audiobook and by CT himself as part of the Tolkien Audio Collection. Both are very fine pieces of work and quite moving.
I haven't come across an audio version of the Lay of Leithian, though. It would be great if a recording of a really good professional actor reading it was released. Maybe the publication of the book will trigger someone off to do it.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)