Did Aragorn make the right choice at the Falls of Rauros?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Did Aragorn make the right choice at the Falls of Rauros?

Postby TheGreenWizard » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Aragorn, at least in his own mind, was beset by ill choices during his time as leader of the Fellowship. Yet he states in Parth Galen that he finally comes to a decision that he knows is right, that of pursuing Merry and Pippen instead of Frodo and Sam.

But is this actually the correct choice?

Frodo and Sam were at least a couple hours in front of them by Aragorn's reckoning. Even if it were several hours, this would seem to make little difference in their ability to find Frodo and Sam. Aragorn is perhaps the best tracker in all Middle Earth, I would think he could make up a couple days head start. That being sad, was it foolish to foresake any further help to Frodo and Sam, and let them wander the wild with the Ring in their possession?
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Did Aragorn make the right choice at the Falls of Rauros

Postby Billobob » Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 pm

I think if I was in the same circumstance as Aragorn I would have followed Frodo but honestly Aragorn and his companions were put to much greater use than they would've with the ring. Also I feel the ring would've corrupted Aragorn and Gimli and eventually maybe even Legolas.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu May 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Also, Aragorn figured that Frodo, being older than the other hobbits, and Sam, with his practical sense, would find a way, and the way of stealth is better served by few than by many; and when last known of they were acting under their own power. Merry and Pippin, however, were the youngest in the company, and were actually being carried off by enemies; Aragorn could not abandon them to torment and possible death.

As it turned out, the hobbits were better off than anyone would have expected; but the Three Hunters were needed where they ended up going anyway.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby TheGreenWizard » Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 am

Yes, I realize the decision worked out in the end, clearly, I've just always wondered if at that point in time it was the right choice. Surely, stealth and secrecy were Frodo's greatest allies, a point made as to why Aragorn was better off letting them be. However, even if you make the point that Aragorn would not have helped once at the Black Gates, it is undeniable that he could have been if assistance during the variety of dangers Frodo narrowly escaped after his departure from the Fellowship. It seems callous to let Merry and Pippen go to certain torture, but we're talking the fate of the entire Middle Earth here. Unfortunately their lives were secondary to Frodo's in my opinion.
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

Yeah I understand why your saying. In the end I think Aragorn could've helped but it most likley would've destroyed him. The main reason it wasn't really able to corrupt Sam is because of his lack of ambition. While if Aragorn was with the ring for such a long time then he might be able to resist it but it would've seriously damaged him. Especially since men seem to be much more susceptible to the ring than any other race. So in the end Aragorn might've been able to help but the cost would've been to high since he would've been in no shape to usher in the dominion of men.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Gadget2 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I think this is a crucial point to the underlying meaning and morality of the tale. Clearly, Tolkien wanted to make the point that right was not to be sacrificed for expediency. Frodo had made his own decision, and the Ring was no longer Aragorn's responsibility, if it ever really was. Merry & Pippin were his friends and companions, in dreadful danger. It would not be right to abandon them to their fate and his heart spoke clearly at last.

Now, if Frodo & Sam were captured by another group of orcs heading in a different direction, that indeed would be a dilemma!
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Gadget2 wrote:I think this is a crucial point to the underlying meaning and morality of the tale. Clearly, Tolkien wanted to make the point that right was not to be sacrificed for expediency. Frodo had made his own decision, and the Ring was no longer Aragorn's responsibility, if it ever really was. Merry & Pippin were his friends and companions, in dreadful danger. It would not be right to abandon them to their fate and his heart spoke clearly at last.

Now, if Frodo & Sam were captured by another group of orcs heading in a different direction, that indeed would be a dilemma!

Yeah in that case I believe Aragorn would've probably sent Legolas for Pippin and Merry and would've taken Gimli with him to get Frodo and Sam. Because though Aragorn would realize Frodo was more important than Pippin and Merry I doubt he would be willing to abandon them entirely. So most likley he would've dispatched Legolas to get them.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)