Tolkien's Journey to Switzerland: Inspiration for the Hobbit

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Tolkien's Journey to Switzerland: Inspiration for the Hobbit

Postby UnderStarSheWandered » Wed May 31, 2017 3:09 am

“The hobbit's journey from Rivendell to the other side of the Misty Mountains, including the glissade down the slithering stones into the pine woods, is based on my adventures in 1911.”

In 1911, Tolkien undertook a hiking tour of about 10 days in Switzerland, a journey that heavily inspired his later works (if you’re interested, this article might be for you: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10 ... mountains/). The itinerary can be largely reconstructed with the help of his letters.
For my Master’s thesis, I am working on the possibility of developing a long distance walking trail to experience the Swiss Alps in Tolkien’s footsteps. Therefore, it would be of great help to me if you could take a few minutes (it takes less than five, promised!) to answer the following questionnaire – it doesn’t matter whether you have heard of Tolkien’s trip before or not.

Link: https://www.umfrageonline.com/s/TolkienHike (Questionnaire in English despite the URL :lol: )

This is a project very dear to my heart and I am excited about any ideas or constructive criticism that goes beyond this questionnaire. Feel free to comment - your help is much appreciated :)
UnderStarSheWandered
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Tolkien's Journey to Switzerland: Inspiration for the Ho

Postby Billobob » Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am

So just out of curiosity ; are you doing this just as a theoretical trail that you would submit for your masters or are you planning to actually make this trail a reality?
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby UnderStarSheWandered » Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 pm

I actually did the hike myself last year from what I could recontruct from Tolkien's letters. I'll post some pics below (once I've figured out how to do that :shock: )... a real gem of a trail.
The plan is indeed to get that thing going. I have contacted the hotels/hostels etc. along the way to estimate their interest and capacity and the next step is now to bring all of these results forward to the local tourist associations and convince them that it would be worth the while.

I believe that this can definitely be done - but the more support I get, the better :lol:
UnderStarSheWandered

Postby Billobob » Wed May 31, 2017 3:09 pm

UnderStarSheWandered wrote:I actually did the hike myself last year from what I could recontruct from Tolkien's letters. I'll post some pics below (once I've figured out how to do that :shock: )... a real gem of a trail.
The plan is indeed to get that thing going. I have contacted the hotels/hostels etc. along the way to estimate their interest and capacity and the next step is now to bring all of these results forward to the local tourist associations and convince them that it would be worth the while.

I believe that this can definitely be done - but the more support I get, the better :lol:

In order to post images just press the image tab above your message then paste the URL of the pictures in the middle of it (assuming your pictures are online). This idea for a hiking trail is pretty intriguing, well I hope you succeed with your idea.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby UnderStarSheWandered » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:22 am

Some pics from my hike through Switzerland in 2016, following Tolkien's footsteps as described in his letters.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p52xwy70m2d3crj/AACyv7tbb8BNGlk8f7gKS7xDa?dl=0
UnderStarSheWandered

Return to The Books (Tolkien)