Ungoliant's power is what?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Ungoliant's power is what?

Postby Xlranet » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 am

Can someone help explain what Ungoliant's power is? The only way I can describe it is light-draining but if thats an explanation then thats fine I just want to get the term "light-draining" out of my head forever.
Xlranet
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Ungoliant's power is what?

Postby Denethor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 am

Creator of tangible gloom? Devour light and excrete darkness?

It's treated in very mythological terms, so one can't be more precise than that.
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Morgoth Bauglir » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 pm

I think she is a creature of the Darkness about Arda that came from outside Middle-Earth
She wasn't made there, she was an evil spirit in spider form
Morgoth Bauglir
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 am

Morgoth Bauglir wrote:I think she is a creature of the Darkness about Arda that came from outside Middle-Earth
She wasn't made there, she was an evil spirit in spider form

Ungoliant might have been a Maia, as were Sauron, the Istari (Wizards), the Balrogs, and possibly Tom Bombadil. This isn't to be taken as reliable canon, but the supplement Valar and Maiar - The Immortal Powers (1993) for the Middle-earth Role Playing (MERP) game attributed the following special powers to Ungoliant:
  • Smell: Ungoliant can smell perfectly, regardless of condition, as far as the horizon. She can sense every detail of every scent, as if she were at the point at which it was made.
  • Web of Unlight: When Ungoliant spins a cloud or Web of Unlight, no light of any kind can penetrate its bounds... Within its confines, everything is utterly dark, although Ungoliant can sense the number and basic nature of the presences whenever she concentrates.
  • Dark-weaving: Ungoliant has absolute over all darkness (absence of light)... She can use these weavings as pathways to swing upon or walk across (like the threads of a spider's silk).
  • Black Beak: Ungoliant can drain the Fire of Life from any spirit she touches.
  • Strength of Form: Ungoliant's shadowy spider-like fana (form) gives her inherent plate armor.
Take it for what it's worth. :)
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Return to The Books (Tolkien)