The earliest Britons resembled Dunlendings?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

The earliest Britons resembled Dunlendings?

Postby Otaku-sempai » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I wasn't sure just where to post this, but this forum seemed more appropriate than most. From AOL: Ancient Briton had dark skin and blue eyes, scientists find

The article starts:
LONDON (Reuters) - "Cheddar Man", Britain's oldest, nearly complete human skeleton, had dark skin, blue eyes and dark curly hair when he lived in what is now southwest England 10,000 years ago, scientists who read his DNA have discovered.

The finding suggests that the lighter skin pigmentation now seen as typical of northern Europeans is far more recent than previously thought, according to researchers from University College London (UCL) who took part in the project.

Cheddar Man's skin color was described as "dark to black" by the scientific team which also included researchers from London's Natural History Museum, where the skeleton is on display in the Human Evolution gallery.

From LotR Appendix F (The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age):
Of their language nothing appears in this book, save the name Forgoil which they gave to the Rohirrim (meaning Strawheads, it is said). Dunland and Dunlending are the names that the Rohirrim gave to them, because they were swarthy and dark-haired; there is thus no connexion between the word dunn in these names and the Grey-elven word Dûn 'west'.

Granted, Cheddar Man might be a bit more dark-skinned than the forebears of the Dunlendings. A better comparison might be between Cheddar Man and the Haradrim.

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Re: The earliest Britons resembled Dunlendings?

Postby basil » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

basil
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 am

Yes, I've been long aware of the 'hobbits' of Indonesia. I've even seen the low-budget Hobbit rip-off movie 'inspired' by their discovery.
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 am

This is probably best in the Books forum - this Alliances forum is specific to the various "alliances" created on this board. :)

You'll probably get more people discussing this if it is in Books, so I shall move it there. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby Otaku-sempai » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:26 pm

White Shadow wrote:This is probably best in the Books forum - this Alliances forum is specific to the various "alliances" created on this board. :)

You'll probably get more people discussing this if it is in Books, so I shall move it there. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator

Sure, as long as there isn't a separate Tolkien 'General Interest' forum. Thanks. :)
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:41 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:Sure, as long as there isn't a separate Tolkien 'General Interest' forum. Thanks. :)

No, there isn't, otherwise it would have been moved there.

Since this most fits in to what might have inspired Tolkien to write the Dunlendings as he did, this is best place for it. :)
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby Krypton_Son » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am

Well, back before Homo Sapiens evolved into modern man, there were lots of different species of what we call human, I'd say that the world probably looked very much like Middle Earth back then.
Krypton_Son
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Tolkien)