Tolkien Letters

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Tolkien Letters

Postby Witchwench » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 am

Here is a link to Tolkien Letters in PDF form https://hakavvelipro.com/files/theletters.pdf

I have read excerpts from these letters over the years, but this is the first time I have sat down and read them..the insight in so many thing, both in the shaping of his books...and the life events that influenced his books.

Tolkien's humanity shines through, both good and head scratching...it shows him to be a very rounded character and as he ages, I notice subtle changes, fascinating.

Feel free to pipe in on your own experience regarding these letters..I'll write more later.

Image <Purple Witchy
Last edited by Witchwench on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Tolkien Letters

Postby Witchwench » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Well, I'm going to chat by myself and if anyone wishes to join in..welcome!! :D

What is super striking, when Tolkien was younger, the myriad of excuses he comes up with as to why parts of the manuscript were not submitted, he's sick, she's sick, the kids are sick, papers need grading..this goes on, quite literally for years, I imagine Allen and Unwin were pulling their collective hair out.

As Tolkien ages and tempers, the excuses are much more succinct and honest, as in difficulty approaching the work, getting into etc..

To be fair, it is clear that the writing of LOTR was not in Tolkien's wheelhouse (so to speak) when he penned the Hobbit, at least not in a way that resulted in publication, and the Hobbit stood on it's own as far as a book goes, so the clamor for a sequel, while still there, was smaller, and didn't even come close to leaving a reading audience with a unfinished story...unlike some recent authors.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Tolkien Letters

Postby scirocco » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:34 am

They sure are a marvellous insight into his motivations.

I first read the M-E books back in the 70s in my teens, and it was a life-changing experience. But for me personally that was nothing compared to rediscovering them in the 2000s when this forum was at its peak.

And much of that rediscovery was through the lens of understanding we all got and shared on this board thanks to Letters.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Return to The Books (Tolkien)