David Day - The Hobbits of Tolkien

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

David Day - The Hobbits of Tolkien

Postby scirocco » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:39 am

I was in the bookshop at my local mall the other day and was surprised to see that David Day has just published another book, "The Hobbits of Tolkien". I didn't have time for more than a quick look.

I had assumed that Day was long gone but obviously not. Has anyone read it? Within the Tolkien community back in the day his "Tolkien Companion" from the 80's / 90's was a byword for inaccuracies, unsubstantiated speculation and so on. I wonder if this new one is any better.

Any feedback from anyone?
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Re: David Day - The Hobbits of Tolkien

Postby Witchwench » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:13 pm

I haven't read anything by David Day, but it seems he hasn't been idle..many Middle Earth derived books.

Image<Merry Witchy
Last edited by Witchwench on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 pm

scirocco.. I just watched a series that is available on Amazon prime 'Looking for The Hobbit' .. David Day was in one of the segments and listed him as an 'Lotr expert' (which really irritated Voronwë the Faithful). Alatar told me it wasn't available in Ireland so I don't know if it's available where you are. It is a few years old but it was the first I'd heard of it. There are 5 segments and it follows John Howe and his search for the inspiration for the Hobbits found in Tolkien's work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... c_unkc_1_7

I did not know about nor have I read David Day's new book. I wonder if the series was an inspiration for him.

The first episode has clips from New Zealand, which was cool for me as we were fortunate enough to visit there earlier this year .. Hobbiton is amazing!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby scirocco » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks for that Rose, yes as you say perhaps his appearance on that series triggered off Day's new book.

(...lols at the thought of V's irritation at Day being described as an "expert"...)

I suppose I could just buy the book and read it, but while I have pretty much every other Tolkien review / criticism / analysis book on my bookshelf I religiously refused to get Day's Tolkien Companion on principle, so it would be a shame to break my duck so to speak.

I'll be back in NZ next month btw; I grew up with the Southern Alps on my doorstep. You could tell the time of year by how much snow was on the tops.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 am

I have one David Day book (purchased before I was aware of his slip-shod ways!) Perhaps wait to see if it shows up at the public library??

I didn't know you had grown up in NZ!

We loved our trip but it was far too short (19 days). We tried to make the most of it beginning with a few days in the Queenstown. We took a trip to Milford sound, then up the West coast to Franz Josef. We left there 10 days or so before the bridge washed out. We continued up the coast to Hokitikita and Greymouth, took the Trans-Alpine over the Alps to Christchurch (we were there days after the horrible shooting). Then up the coast on the train to Picton. Took the ferry on stormy seas :ew: to Wellington, spent a few days there, of course going to WETA. We tramped about Mount Victoria park to find 'The Hobbit' shooting sites. Visited Te Papa. We flew to Auckland & took a 3 day tour up to Paihia, Cape Reinga, 90 mile beach. Then back to Auckland we went to Waitomo caves and on to Rotorua where we spent a few days. We enjoyed the Redwoods, the Polynesian spa, Te Puia feast. On one of our last days we went to Hobbiton for the evening feast. It was amazing and the highlight of the trip for me. Knowing what I know now, I would have planned things differently, but.. eh.. that's the way things go on a trip to a place one has never been. It's a shame it's such a long flight or we'd probably go back.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm glad I could amuse you, scirocco! :)

In addition to making stuff up that has no real basis in anything that Tolkien actually wrote, Day has a long history of repackaging the same material in different books. I don't know for sure, but I would guess this new book is more of the same. Just looking at the Table of Contents, it looks like it is mostly a repackaging of his previous book "The Hobbit Companion
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Don't mind me, just dropping in to *piletacklehug* Voronwe!!! :hug:

MISS YOU, don't be a stranger!!!

:D
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Voronwe_the_Faithful » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi rwhen! :hug:

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Voronwe_the_Faithful
Mariner

Return to The Books (Tolkien)