Tolkien Pianos

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:01 pm

J B Tolkien Piano circa 1890 <BR>Author: Martin Richards (---.dialup.lineone.co.uk)<BR>Date: 03-31-01 22:04<BR><BR>We acquired a J B Tolkien piano a while ago to save it being sent for firewood. It needs a little restoration work which is now under way. Does anyone have any background/history of this make of piano? <BR><BR>Two of the ebony keys are missing. We would be grateful for any information on where we could get some from.<BR> <BR> <BR>Reply To This Message <BR> RE: J B Tolkien Piano circa 1890 <BR>Author: Jerry Aurand(Fillan) (131.187.124.---)<BR>Date: 06-23-01 17:33<BR><BR>Hello! <BR><BR>I sorry that I can't help you with information about your piano. I found you enquiry when I was searching for such information. However, I did wonder whether you were aware that this instrument is connected with the author, J.R.R.Tolkien of "Lord of the Rings" fame? His grandfather was John Benjamin Tolkien, and according to the JRRT biography by Humphrey Carter, this was his business. It may be one of the last pianos made by JBT, since by the time of the marriage of JRRT's parents in 1891, his grandfather was bankrupt. Either that or whoever the business was sold to still used the imprint. According to the book, at least one model had "Irresistible Piano-Forte: Manufactured Expressly for Extreme Climates" inscribed on its lid. <BR><BR>If you find any other info on Tolkien Pianos, please send it to me. I would that some Tolkien enthusiasts might be interested in it. If I had the money, or could play the piano, I certainly would be! <BR><BR>Thanks for your time and attention. <BR><BR>GLAF
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Vercelestarrioler » Mon Jul 02, 2001 3:04 pm

So, It was made by Tolkien?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Lord V.
Vercelestarrioler
Mariner

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:58 pm

A bump for becoming a Ranger!
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lotesse » Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:19 pm

Oh, what I would give to get my hands on a Tolkien piano! Does anyone have any information on the number currently in circulation, prices, et alia? To own a piano made by JRRT's ancestors... *sighs*<BR>
lotesse
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:25 pm

When I originally posted this thread it was in the hope that among those who come here that someone would know more about this subject than I did, more than what appeared in the biography. I even hoped that I'd get a reply to the info I sent the Richards. Either no one knows or no one cares. I personally would find it exciting to have such a concrete link to JRRT's family history. In a world of Collectibles and collectors, I'd think that there'd be more interest.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Master-Samwise » Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:47 pm

*steals paino*
Master-Samwise
Shield Bearer

Postby Lissuin » Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:59 pm

.......i can only dream........*sigh*<BR>
Lissuin
Ranger of the North

Postby ElveSong » Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:33 pm

oooh...cool, I wish I did know more, or had one of those pianos. I can't play but what a thing to own eh? I bet it could be sold for a fortune now though considering the current fame of Tolkien though eh? *Sigh* oh well, I may be rich someday !!
ElveSong
Shield Bearer

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:39 pm

I'm still diappointed that nobody out there seems to any more about this topic! Groan!
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElveSong » Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:14 pm

is there nothing on the internet? *is currently too lazy to look for herself unless no one else does*
ElveSong
Shield Bearer

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:33 am

That's how I found the stuff in the original post. And I rechecked it a short while ago. Nothing new.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElveSong » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:10 am

annoying...oh well, maybe we will never know.
ElveSong
Shield Bearer

Postby Gilvala » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:43 am

Hey, are there any other Tolkien pianos out there? I want one!
Gilvala
Ranger of the North

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:59 am

Maybe I should cross-link this thread to one in Choirs. Musicians may know more about this topic, or at least know best where to seek more knowledge. Opinions? The inquiry thread that I found on the Web no longer appears in a Search. So except for mention in JRRT bios (derived from HC's book), all mention of Tolkien pianos has disappeared from the Web.<BR><BR>Gilvala-one of the questions to which we'd all like an answer.<BR><BR>Pianos seem to be a personal headache of mine: a family in France with the same surname as mine were the propietors of a piano manufactury. I'm having difficulties finding out more about them as well.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lord_Cie » Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:07 pm

Short comment, but I can't believe that somebody would try to throw out a piano made by "Tolkien". Obviously whoever had it on their hands before the Tolkien fan got it (is the piano now yours, Almacundo?) is practically illiterate for not knowing the significance of a "Tolkien" piano. I'm quite shocked ...
Lord_Cie
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:30 am

I wish! Martin Richards (of which there are many with phones and/or e-mail in the UK--none matching the partial address in the original post) owns the piano and I merely sent him a comment informing him of the JRRT connection, in case he was unaware of it. Maybe he knew, already (though nothing in his message indicates one way or another), maybe he didn't. I wish he had replied to my e-mail.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:32 am

In recognition of my 2000th post, I am bumping some of the threads that I intiated that are neglected or perhaps of interest to novices.<BR><BR>Thanks for a being such great people on a wonderful MB.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:33 pm

Found this info on inventions and patents for stringed keyboard instrument (a historical list):<BR><BR>May 13, 1857. H TOLKIEN and J. MIDDLETON Hard wedge or wedges," inserted in the bracings for strength.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Agoston » Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:12 pm

Would H. Tolkien be Tolkien's grandfather? I haven't found his full name, unless his full name was John Benjamin Tolkien, and that hardly explains the 'H'.<BR><BR>Does anyone know if these patented wedges are still used in piano design?
Agoston
Rider of the Mark

Postby Almacundo/*Auirandos » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:14 pm

No. He might be an great-uncle or great-great-uncle, however. He's the last entry on the first post in this thread:<BR><BR><a target=new href="http://www.tolkienonline.com/thewhitecouncil/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=57409">http://www.tolkienonline.com/thewhitecouncil/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=57409</a><BR><BR>Don't know about the use of the patented device.
Almacundo/*Auirandos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Almatolmen » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:05 am

A qudrimillenial bump.<BR><BR>Just found this:<BR><BR>Circa 1865? <BR>Piano made by Henry Tolkien, King William Street, London Bridge, "By His Majesty's Royal Letters Patent Manufactured expressly for Extreme Climate". <BR>
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Prince_of_the_Halflings » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:37 pm

There is a mention of Tolkien pianos on this site:<BR><BR><A TARGET="_blank" HREF="http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/genealogy-and-the-piano-makers.html">http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/genealogy-and-the-piano-makers.html</A><BR><BR>
Prince_of_the_Halflings
Shield Bearer

Postby Elmtree » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:30 pm

The information one finds on TORC! This is one thing I'd never thought to be reading.<BR><BR>Quite interesting, though
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby wilko185 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:51 pm

<a href='http://www.uk-piano.org/guest02.html' target=_blank>This page</a>, on the same site Prince_of_the_Halflings <BR>mentioned, includes the following two entries in their guest book which may be worth an email:<BR><BR>on Monday, December 16, 2002 at 06:14:29<BR>email: <A HREF="mailto:JTSchuck@aol.com">JTSchuck@aol.com</A><BR>name: Joe Schuck<BR>city: Wilmington, Delaware<BR>country: USA<BR>Where did you find us: Search Engine<BR>Why did you use this site: Education.<BR>Did you find the site easy to get a round: Yes<BR>How do you rate the site: 8<BR>Which describes you best: Parent<BR>have you a piano: Yes<BR>make: Henry Tolkien<BR>age: over 100 Years<BR>Type: Upright<BR>tuned: 25 Years<BR>comment: Have had this beautiful rosewood/inlaid Henry Tolkien Piano for about 20-25 years. Has beautiful brass candleabria and only 85 keys. Many handwritten notes on the inside giving various tuning dates going back to 1890 (earlier entries are written in the European style of day/month/year). Would appreciate any information on either the piano or the company that you might have. Thanks You, Joe S<BR><BR>on Sunday, September 15, 2002 at 16:31:39 <BR>email: <A HREF="mailto:chris.burrows@virgin.net">chris.burrows@virgin.net</A><BR>name: Chris Burrows<BR>city: Malvern<BR>country: UK<BR>Where did you find us: Search Engine<BR>Why did you use this site: Piano history.<BR>Did you find the site easy to get a round: Yes<BR>How do you rate the site: 10<BR>Which describes you best: Beginner<BR>have you a piano: Yes<BR>make: J B Tolkien<BR>age: Do Not know<BR>Type: Upright<BR>tuned: Do not know<BR>comment: I aquired the above piano from a local pub and I wondered if Tolkien was a well know make or whether it was considered to be of any quality or not. I've established that JB Tolkien was a manufacturer in Birmingham UK and was the grandfather of JRR Tolkien. The name Henry Riley is embossed on the piano as well.The piano is in reasonable condition but would it be worth restoring it properly. In the interim how much should I expect to pay for having it tuned. (most of the notes sound properley. Many thanks for your time.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Prince_of_the_Halflings » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:13 am

Yes, even though the information on that site is already on TORC, so to speak, at least these people have actually seen Tolkien pianos. Certainly one of the owners definitely understands the connection between Tolkien Pianos and JRRT.<BR><BR>There's so little info available that anything at all is useful!<BR>
Prince_of_the_Halflings
Shield Bearer

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:13 am

Thanks, guys! Some interesting results. Has anyone e-mailed our inquirers? <BR><BR>Wwhen I get my own e-mail cut down to size (even after eliminating all duplications, I'm left with about 410 to plow through), I'll try to rremember to give'em a try.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Re: Tolkien Pianos

Postby middleearth » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:36 am

I know this is an old thread but these pianos do exist

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301990173429? ... 1555.l2649
middleearth
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Tolkien)