What Tolkien Character Would You Want to Interview?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Postby basil » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Edmund the Scholar wrote:Okay... what about interviewing somebody like Nobb or Butterbur? Somebody who wasn't directly involved with the War, but lived through it.

Now that would be fun! Butterbur the BarKeep! He would probably have an endless supply of stories to tell indeed.

..::..
basil
Mariner

Postby Compa_Mighty » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:13 pm

Without having read the whole thread, I'd have to go with th einitial thought. Elrond could really tell you things about anything, any time, in a perspective that would interest you more.

Treebeard and Tom Bombadil are older, but could only tell you of more ethereal matters...
Compa_Mighty
Shield Bearer

Postby Hirgon_the_Messenger » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:01 am

Prince Imrahil from Dol Amroth. I've always wanted to know more about the city and its place in Gondor.
Hirgon_the_Messenger
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Ingold » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:11 am

I would interview Faramir because he is my favourite character of all time :D
Ingold
Shield Bearer

Postby Turin Turambar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:31 pm

(if possible)I would interview Denethor. He was one of the most well informed men during the WOTR
Turin Turambar
Shield Bearer

Location: Somewhere in Beleriand, refusing to believe that Fingolfin is dead

Postby MithLuin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:45 am

I have determined there is no way to have an interview while remaining unaffected. Interviews are a dialogue, and so you give and take...and even if you think everything the other person says is a lie, you are still thinking about it, and there's that kernal of doubt and "what if...?"

I keep thinking of scenes in movies, where good guys interview someone behind bars....Clarisse and Hannibal Lector, or the detective looking for the Green River Killer and Ted Bundy, or even the 'confession' in Amadeus. All fictional, but based on the idea that it is not one way.

So, I am not going to interview any of the truly bad characters. I will not make Turin's mistake, and think I can look in Glaurung's eye without harm. Especially someone like Saruman, who has such a bewitching voice, or Morgoth, who can influence people long after he is gone. <shudder> So, no. I'll leave the villains to their own private misery, and trust someone stronger than myself to help them out.

I am also sure I cannot talk to the Valar without it having some sort of effect. The sound of the sea echoed forever in Tuor's heart. But, here, I think the effect unlikely to be 'bad' (in the sense of corrupting), but perhaps too heavy a price none-the-less. So, I'm going to hesitate there.

If it's just a simple interview, to figure out what life was like and what people thought of things (like the War), then maybe I'd interview one of the Rohirrim, who fought at Helm's Deep and rode to Mundburg. His experience would probably be rather different from Merry's!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Mablung » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Perhaps Finarfin. He could provide an update on what happened with him and his kin through all the long years after his brothers departed for Middle Earth.

And perhaps Beleg the Ageless, who could tell of his life prior to being referred to in the Silmarillion.
Mablung
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Those are definately untold stories! ;)

On a sillier note, if anyone would like to spend some time 'exploring' a particular character (and yes, interviewing him!), I suggest checking out MoME 2007

:D
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:27 pm

You're asking good questions, Edmund! :)

I'd go for Gollum, and get the story from his side. :)
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby laureanna » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 pm

The Ring, my Precious. Give me an hour with the Ring. :D
laureanna
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:05 pm

Yes, laureanna, that's what Boromir said, too. :P

I want to know about those grim hillmen without a Captain. Why so grim? How few was a few? I realize Angbor was busy elsewhere, but didn't anyone lead these hillmen?
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Mingbearer » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:10 pm

For an hour?

Shagrat's your man!

Saying which - it might just take an hour to get him to explain the origin of his name!
Mingbearer
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Birch_Tree » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:22 pm

I know this thread is a year or two old but I still want to reply.

I would like to interview either of the Blue Wizards. They would hopefully be able to provide information about a area of middle earth which is only briefly covered in the books.
Birch_Tree
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Birch_Tree wrote:I know this thread is a year or two old but I still want to reply.

I would like to interview either of the Blue Wizards. They would hopefully be able to provide information about a area of middle earth which is only briefly covered in the books.
Hello Birch Tree! Welcome!

It matters not how old the thread is if the question is still relevant. And this one is. The Blue Wizards would be a great choice!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Zidanie5 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 am

Great bump, it seems an interesting thread. I try to answer.

Aragorn - No. I've got a feeling it would be hard to make him talk cheerfully to you, I don't think he'd say many things to a funny stranger who makes lots of questions.
Frodo - No. I'd start making too many questions about the Ring and how it feels, and he would think I'm trying to take it from him. I don't want to fight with Frodo.
Sam Merry Pippin - No. I'd rather drink for a hour with them than talk. :D
Legolas - No. Being too close to a male elf would make me wonder about my heterosexuality 8)
Sauron - No. Various ethic reasons.
Gimli - No. I'd be prone to laugh about something he does/says, and I'm not very fond of axes blows.
Gandalf - Yes. I'd enjoy every second of a discussion with him, he's almost all-knowing, and he'd be also entertaining as a conversation partner.
Galadriel - Yes. It does not matter what she would say, I'd be there staring at her, adoringly drinking every word.
Zidanie5

Postby Morwenna » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:13 am

More than two years after my last reply, I still want to talk with the three hobbits and hear all their viewpoints about the Great Year. (I wouldn't have the heart to interview them when Frodo, worn and damaged as he was, was still around to be subjected to more pain). They grew a great deal during their absence, and even though they were young and had the hobbit irrepressibility, they still had gained a great deal of knowledge of the world and wisdom. Then we could all go out for a drink! :D

Gandalf would be great to interview, especially after the War. By then he would have no need to be cautious, and would speak freely of everything he knew. Notice how free he is with past information in Unfinished Tales when he tells the hobbits about how he came to pick Bilbo to go on the Erebor quest.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lothdhor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:45 pm

il choose illuvatar...
Lothdhor

Postby Aragorn's Daughter » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 pm

I would interview Gandalf! I want to learn some of his wisdom... :lol:
Aragorn's Daughter

Postby MithLuin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Finrod. He does not seem opposed to debates with bitter mortal women who are in love with elves they can't have ;).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Elmtree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Lothdhor wrote:il choose illuvatar...

Best answer. :)
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Birch_Tree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

illuvatars presence could be to overwhelming or conversation to cryptic to be of much benefit. Would still be interesting but might not be the wealth of knowledge one initially might expect.
Birch_Tree
Ranger of the North

Postby oldslow&stupid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:07 am

Turgon, to find out why he did not heed the call foretold to him.
oldslow&stupid
Shield Bearer

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:41 pm

I'd like to talk with Beorn and find out more about him and his people. I would also like to know more about what forced him to leave his home. (Yes I know it was orcs and goblins, but more detail). I would also like to know more about what his home was like before the goblins ruined it and forced him to leave. In addition I would talk with him about any plans to destroy the goblins and orcs currently there. Then I would offer to help him eradicate the goblins.

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby lugiahua » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:31 pm

I assumed that an hour means very different to Valars than to mortals...
so I probably pick one of them.
lugiahua

Postby Son of Gondor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 am

Gothmog (Lord of Balrogs)
Son of Gondor

Postby RAY » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 am

It would have to be Tom Bombadil for me. Even Gandalf wanted to talk to him and perhaps reflect on times before the turmoil of the last year or two. Or even the last thousand or two years.
RAY
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 am

Wouldn't I love to be a fly on the wall at that conversation! :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 pm

If I was interviewing Finrod I'd don't think I'd be able to ask many questions. :D

But I'm with Birch_Tree. As soon as I saw the question, I thought of the Blue Wizards. I'd love to find out what they'd been up to!
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Lhein » Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 am

I think of Elrond, for the reasons told before. He remembers all the Second and the Third Age and he has seen all the crucial events of them (wars with Sauron, the history of Numenor, the War of the Last Alliance and the history of the Dunedain).

I think he was in the middle of all these and is well informed; after all he was the vice-regent of Gil-Galad. Also, probably he has learned a lot of things from his books and his relations with other Elves (Galadriel etc), Men and wizards (especially Gandalf).

I thought for a while Galadriel, who of course has lived some thousands of years more, but I think she wasn't so involved in the history of the Second and the Third Age (especially the wars I like so much). I also thought of Cirdan (it's great to talk with the oldest Elf in Middle-earth), but he stayed at the background too much.
Lhein

Postby Noldorianknight » Fri May 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Hmm..tough question,no doubt. Lhein allow me to disagree with you. You are right that Elrond would be able to recount most of Middle-earth's crucial events and give an impression of glory and wisdom of the past ages, but i believe that a mortal man wouldn't be wise enough to internalize and express the grandeur of the elves and the accumulated knowledge of the past. I would be content to Aragorn whose feats are well-known and try to get a glimpse of his glory . Learn from him about the history of Middle-earth and the poems that were written for that glorious days of the past. A man would be able to understand.
Noldorianknight

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Tolkien)