What Tolkien Character Would You Want to Interview?

Discuss Tolkien's masterpieces within the walls of this forum.

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 am

I'd love to interview Galadriel for she is wise, knowing and also my favourite character. :)

I would readily interview Glorfindel (of the Third Age) as well to find out if he is the noble Elf of Gondolin who fell in battle during the First Age, and to get more details and informations about his life and what happened to him.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lhein » Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 am

Gladhaniel wrote:I would readily interview Glorfindel (of the Third Age) as well to find out if he is the noble Elf of Gondolin who fell in battle during the First Age, and to get more details and informations about his life and what happened to him.

You don't have to do this, because it is already known :wink: . Glorfindel is indeed the same Elf who slew the Balrog and fell in that battle. He returned to Middle-earth from Valinor during the Third Age.
Lhein
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gladhaniel » Sat May 14, 2011 6:27 am

Lhein wrote:
Gladhaniel wrote:I would readily interview Glorfindel (of the Third Age) as well to find out if he is the noble Elf of Gondolin who fell in battle during the First Age, and to get more details and informations about his life and what happened to him.

You don't have to do this, because it is already known :wink: . Glorfindel is indeed the same Elf who slew the Balrog and fell in that battle. He returned to Middle-earth from Valinor during the Third Age.

Oh really? :O Thanks very much for telling me! :D I had read about the issue on several websites, and it seemed to be still a debate without any definitive answer - but it's awesome to have the confirmation. :) Is it known why he returned to Middle-earth in the Third Age?
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lhein » Sun May 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I think he returned to help fight Sauron and his minions, as the Istari did. He fought against the Witch-king along with Earnur and probably did a lot of things too.
Lhein

Postby Gladhaniel » Tue May 17, 2011 7:00 am

Oh great, thanks again for the info! :D
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Linwe Anwarunya » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to the boards and this was a really fun thread to read.
It's really hard to pick just one character who I'd want to interview, so here's my top handful...

Celebrian - no one knows much about her, and I've always been really curious about what happened to her during those two years of being held prisoner by orcs.
Legolas - I've always thought he was cool (okay, and hot..lol) and I think he'd be fun to talk to to get to know better.
Aragorn - I think it would be neat to find out who he is as a person, when he's not busy doing overly serious things like being King of Gondor or navigating the Ring quest. What are his interests, pet peeves etc?
Eowyn - I can identify with her, as she's the dynamic female of LoTR. Not sure what I'd interview her specifically about, though. I think it'd be cool to just hang out.
Pippin/Merry - they'd be awesome drinking buddies!
Linwe Anwarunya

Postby Noetje » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:27 am

Turgon... I would love to know why he didn’t listen to Tuor when he had the chance. Not the smartest decision he ever made...
Noetje

Hurin the father of Turin..

Postby Bellandora » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:14 am

For the sake of his son Turin whose life was filled with tragedy and triumph.

Why did he have to sacrifice his family for war games. We see him going off to the Battle Of Unnumbered Tears, and never return home. :cry2:
Bellandora
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Bellandora » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 am

I would want to interview Turin first as a child, there was so much in him that needed to be released that he often sought out Sador(Labadal) to talk to.
Bellandora
Citizen of Imladris

Gandalf

Postby Nicodemus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I would like most to interview Gandalf. Imagine the wisdom! And, the wonderful stories he might be persueded to tell would be worth listening to. His deeper insights would be invaluable. I would have to choose Gandalf.

N.
Nicodemus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sassyfriend » Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I would choose Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir, Faramir, Gandalf, Elrond and Pippin cause they would all have interesting things to talk about.
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby AlatarielNerwende » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:28 pm

I would talk to Galadriel, then I would know how exactly she left Valinor, why she stayed in ME, if she had a ban and how she felt about returning to Valinor, if she was nervous to face her father or the Valar (although I can not imagine Galadriel ever being nervous). She´s just so unbelieveble great.
AlatarielNerwende

Postby Dk_Strider » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Duh Galadriel, mainly because everyone knows she is super hot
Dk_Strider
Ranger of the North

Postby Danica-Moonshade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 pm

That is a tuff one I would probably say Estel he has lived longer than most men but not nearly as long as those of the Firstborn. I would like to know of his child hood in Rivendell, his lessons with Legolas to use a bow and so one and so forth but I doubt it would only take an hour.
Danica-Moonshade

Postby Goldberry88 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

I'd want to interview the Watcher in the Water. He must have some interesting, if perhaps garbled and sputtering, anecdotes to tell. :)
Goldberry88
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elmtree » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:26 pm

LOL Goldberry! :)

I can't remember what I said years ago (if I said anything) on this, but I think probably Gandalf. Then again, his answers might at times be a bit cryptic.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby purpleparadox » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I'd love to interview Gandalf. What with his being so wise, I'm sure anyone could learn a lot from him. 

But in the end I know I'd have to pick Sam. He's my favourite character. I couldn't pass up on an opportunity to speak with him! I'd ask him questions about his views on good and evil, on friendship, on loyalty, on love. Almost all of the scenes from LOTR that moved me the most (emotionally) involved Samwise Gamgee. To interview him would complete my life.
purpleparadox
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Treagol » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 am

Lhein wrote:You don't have to do this, because it is already known :wink: . Glorfindel is indeed the same Elf who slew the Balrog and fell in that battle. He returned to Middle-earth from Valinor during the Third Age.

Where does this information come from? I have never read anything like this in Tolkien. This debate has raged for years so when did it finally get put to rest? :o :)

I would really like to interview Tolkien himself. But since I have to name a character. I guess I would interview the Balrog of Moria. I would ask his opinions on wings. Ask his thoughts on what it was like to wake up with strangers running around in your house who throw you down bottomless pits. :rofl:
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby Gladhaniel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:10 am

Treagol wrote:I would really like to interview Tolkien himself. But since I have to name a character. I guess I would interview the Balrog of Moria. I would ask his opinions on wings. Ask his thoughts on what it was like to wake up with strangers running around in your house who throw you down bottomless pits. :rofl:

Can Balrogs talk, actually? :shock:

I would also like to interview Beleg Cúthalion, just because I find him great and would like him to tell me about Túrin and what they went through together. I find their story so beautiful, and yet heartbreaking.
Gladhaniel
Rider of the Mark

Postby Treagol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:45 am

Gladhaniel wrote:Can Balrogs talk, actually? :shock:

I would also like to interview Beleg Cúthalion, just because I find him great and would like him to tell me about Túrin and what they went through together. I find their story so beautiful, and yet heartbreaking.

I am not sure. It seems like they just roar a lot. But maybe they are just frustrated because no one ever strikes up a conversation with them. :rofl: :wink:
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby Treagol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 am

PS Beleg is a great choice. He has always been one of my favorite characters.
Treagol
Ranger of the North

Postby TheDean » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Namo/Mandos - not sure why. Even though he is an extremely minor minor character, I've always liked him. Him and/or Nienna.
TheDean
Rider of the Mark

Re: What Tolkien Character Would You Want to Interview?

Postby Frodome » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:51 am

Frodo: Among all the Hobbits, he's the only one we don't "get" completely. Also being the most complex character in the trilogy.

Tom Bombadil: Why on Earth the Ring didn't make him invisible? Why didn't he take all the Ring stuff seriously? And so on...

Sam Gamgee: How was his life after his Mr Frodo left the Shire?

Glorfindel: He's my Elf. :)

Gandalf: His wisdom.

Merry & Pip: For being my favorite Hobbits.

Gollum: Yup! Him too. He intrigues me.

Aragorn: Why he doesn't exist in real life?
Can't think much now.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby fatty*lumpkin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 pm

bombadil, i wanna find out where he comes from etc, etc
those women ents, i wanna find out where they are hidin
fatty*lumpkin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Eucatastrophe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 am

Frodome wrote:Merry & Pip: For being my favorite Hobbits.

And I thought it was Frodo. :!: :wink:
Eucatastrophe
Shield Bearer

Postby Frodome » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 am

Yes,Eucatastrophe, Frodo is my favorite. But, is somewhere written that I cannot say others are my favorites? I don't think you should wonder when I use "favorite" word for other characters-especially- when I'm talking about LotR characters.
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby Eucatastrophe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 am

Oh come on. That was just me teasing you. Don't be so serious. ;)
Eucatastrophe
Shield Bearer

Postby Frodome » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:55 am

Eucatastrophe wrote:Oh come on. That was just me teasing you. Don't be so serious. ;)

Oh yes, preciouss! We knew it was teasing us. We was teasing it too. We forgot to put a smileyss, preciousssss! :D
Hope you got my point. ;)
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:27 am

I would want to interview Eru and if possible learn the complete history of middle earth.
If that wasn't possible I would interview Morgoth and ask why he continues to persecute middle earth even though if he destroys it it won't give him true happiness?
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Well, Galadriel is my go-to, but I would just love to talk to her; to interview, I suppose I would choose either Boromir, get the full story, the real deal…or Ioreth. She could ramble on forever, and I could finally learn some of the really important little details about life in Gondor, what the mood of the people was like during the War, stuff like that.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Tolkien)