New Board...

Got an idea, or did we do something that you really find disturbing? Come here and tell us about it and we'll respond.

Re: New Board...

Postby Morwenna » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 am

I was reading some old posts and it looks like separate lines done intentionally have been rammed together as one paragraph with some code in between former lines. Just the old stuff, not the new stuff, right?

Would there have been a way to keep the lines as they were?

(This is all so confoozling...)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Jonathan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 am

Can you post some links to those topics with that issue? I'll see what I can do.
Hi! I created this site in 1999. I was 23, unmarried, and didn't have kids. That's all changed. I'm working on getting this back to normal again... Welcome. :)

And if you want to help out with the site in any way, EMAIL ME or get a hold of me on FACEBOOK
Jonathan
Servant of the Secret Fire

Postby Almatolmen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 pm

I noticed the same thing on some of my old posts, too.

The problem with that is when you recommend that someone look at an older post it's confusing and hard to read. Not something conducive to checking out such posts. And really, some of those posts have stuff that's irreplaceable and informative. Easier to say check out such-and-such than to repeat the information.

Thanks for all the hard work and great results.
Almatolmen
Mariner

Postby Jonathan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

elora wrote:I seem to be having trouble getting the user control panel to open of late. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using Google Chrome, but tried Safari and Firefox with the same result.

Can't say I've encountered this probem, Elora. I'll see what I can figure out...
Hi! I created this site in 1999. I was 23, unmarried, and didn't have kids. That's all changed. I'm working on getting this back to normal again... Welcome. :)

And if you want to help out with the site in any way, EMAIL ME or get a hold of me on FACEBOOK
Jonathan

Postby earendil81 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:02 pm

elora wrote:
Daefaroth wrote:
elora wrote:One question/concern on some missing posts. The Prancing Pony had the threads indexed in the sticky thread "Old Grey Mare's Reading Room'. It seems most of the posts with the thread indexing have disappeared, with the threads starting with 'U' being the first. That means the ones with the A through to T have gone missing. If there any chance of recovery?

Jonathan has recovered the text from a backup.

I will be re-instating the missing information soon.

Thanks for this Jonathan and Daefaroth. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was quite a nice archive to have. Much appreciated! :)

I seem to be having trouble getting the user control panel to open of late. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using Google Chrome, but tried Safari and Firefox with the same result.

There seems to be a few of us with that issue... I mentioned it a while back so did Isildime and Sylthian.
It seems to be happening with a small number of us.
At first I thought it might be tied to the type of username (I have numbers and Isildime has the lovely umlaut) but you, sylthian and Rholarowyn don't (I can't say for sure that she has this issue but she is one of the people whose information I can't access when I click on her username same as you or me ;))...

And I have no issue with my RP alter ego...
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby heliona » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm

I've been noticing a problem with refreshing forums.

I generally just leave my browser open when I leave my computer, so when I return to TORC, I refresh the forum that I've been browsing previously to see if there are any new posts. Previously this hasn't been a problem, but on the new board it is.

I've discovered that if I'm in say, the Talk forum, to get to it from the board index, the URL is "http://forums.theonering.com/viewforum.php?f=24" However, when I'm finished reading a thread in the Talk forum, and use the drop-down menu at the bottom to return to the main thread list (I don't use the back button, as then the "new post" symbols still appear when I've already read a thread), the URL in the browser address bar is now "http://forums.theonering.com/viewforum" so of course when it refreshes it doesn't know to look.

I'm just wondering about this reverting to plain old "viewforum" without any reference to which one it is. It's not really a problem for me - I just need to remember to not refresh the page, but it doesn't strike me as quite right.

Did that make sense?
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Calma » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for the Quoter of the Day's return!!

Celebrating the return of TORC!
There's a party in the TVM!!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 30 :D

LOSSES: 30 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Jonathan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 pm

:) Your welcome!

Jonathan

Postby holbytla » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for the upgrade. I am most certain it is greatly appreciated.
The timing was perfect too. You get a chance to iron out all of the kinks before Teh (sic) Hobbit is released.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to experience the new set-up so I can't honestly critique it, not that it needs critiquing anyway, but I do miss the forum drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Thanks again for the upgrade, sure is a long winding road from the 1999 upgrade, and the best of luck for the future.
holbytla
Ranger of the North

Postby Jonathan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Alrighty... I've spruced up a few things on the boards... fonts... colors (though I'm not sold on the default color scheme--I may still change it (if anybody's got any color schemes they wanna float my way, feel free!).

Also, if you're a premiere member, you can now choose from Default, Red, or Black color themes. I'll be adding more color themes in the future!

Jonathan

Postby Calma » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Something new everyday. :D
Love the "Post a Reply" button.
Not to impressed with the blue color though.

I went into my profile and changed the color to black.
The blue of the Titles and the black of the rest seems not so overwhelming.

Have a good Thanksgiving, Jon.
My best to the family.

ETA...
Ok, just noticed the darker blue.
Better, but not the best.
I sorta liked the red. (shrug)
But I'll take whatever you decide.

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Jonathan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 am

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the blue either... I'll be playing with better colors. I think you're right though--the red felt better.

Made a few more changes so that the top area is cleaner--less text, more clear buttons. Lemme know whatcha think!

Jonathan

Postby Calma » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:17 am

I like the darker brown across the top and bottom.
It took me a minute to find the 'User Control Panel'
But it looks good now.

Ok, being that my PM is good until the 16th of December is that part of the board up and running again?
I confess, I haven't looked
But I'm generally a lazy broad so I ask other people to do the work for me. :wink:
If it isn't up and running yet,
I hope it will be by the time I need to re-up.
The 16th of December is a special date for me
So I'd like to keep that day as my PM day.

All in all, I'm really liking the new board.
Keep doing what you're doing, son.

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby GwenElf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

Sorry if someone has asked this already.. the search function on my dad's laptop is doing weird things.

Anyhow... How do I log back out? I can't find the button anywhere. :?
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:59 pm

GwenElf wrote:Anyhow... How do I log back out? I can't find the button anywhere. :?

The "button" is near the top right hand side of the window - it should say "Logout" followed by your User name enclosed in square brackets.

If not, try clearing your cache and temporary files and re-load the browser.

:D :D :D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Huh, it's here in Firefox on my own laptop. The fact that IE/my dad's laptop has problems with it is actually not surprising at all... :P Thanks, Scribbles!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Jonathan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:08 pm

IE!!!!! How I hate thee! :)

I decide I won't be supporting any version of IE earlier than 8--though if I had my druthers I wouldn't support anything earlier than IE9...

Jonathan

Postby FrodoTook » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:07 pm

IE!!!!! How I hate thee!

When I first read your post I thought you were referring to Innocent Evil.

:rofl:

And wondered why???

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 pm

One question. Will we have private messages again soon? And I just love all the updates.

And I also notice when I open a thread, it doesn't direct me to the newest post anymore. I have to scroll down. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about. And I agree about IE. I ditched it long ago in favor of Firefox.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1320/1 ... 474091.jpg

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby earendil81 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:24 am

I hate to be a whiner but I still cannot access the User Control Panel under my earendil81 log in. It will load for up to half an hour and then time out.

I miss having a picture in my sig and I don't understand why it does not work as it does under my alter egos... I have also tried removing board cookies, tried under 3 different browsers (firefox, safari and chrome) but to no avail.

Please... thanks
Last edited by earendil81 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby heliona » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:43 am

Yes, CR, I've noticed that too. When you click on the "view last post" icon (the tiny one after the name of the last poster) it takes you to the top of the page instead of the bottom. Which then means a potentially long scroll down to the bottom. I'm guessing there's just something missing in the url code?

I can't decide whether or not I don't like the newer colour scheme or whether it's just that it's different. :) I think I like it. I don't mind the background colour, but I'm not sure about the blue - which you've already said you're thinking about changing. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 am

Hmmmm, I have my post-sort-order preference set to show the most recent posts in any thread on top (ascending, I think) and when I open a thread, it shows the most recent post just fine.

I just tried the little icon next to the "last poster" on the Hellooo thread in talk and it also worked just fine.

Odd, strange and bizarre to be sure . . .

:?

Eari, have you tried writing to Jonathan his own self? I know he's really busy . . . though I doubt he'd mind a gentle reminder . . . maybe include some cyber-chocolate and red wine. ;)

:D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:13 am

Logging out.

It is odd. I found the "log in" at the bottom of the main index page and logged in. I am never "automatically log me in" sort of person. I always do it manually. So I logged in and then couldn't log out. I read that if I cleared my cookies cache that could fix it...so I did, here on the boards, but all from Google/IE and Firefox. I then closed down all open windows, sortware and Outlook and rebooted the computer.

I logged in and again couldn't see the "log out" in the upper right. So I came here to The One Ring forum to see if there was something else to do and when I opened the forum...BAM there it was. Okay problem solved? I opened this thread and BAM gone again from the upper right.

So I spent the time to open each forum from Welcome to here and I can't log out. Also, I am being automatically logged in, even though I didn't check "remember me". This is after rebooting the computer.

What do I need to do?

Thanks
rwhen

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Jonathan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 am

rwhen wrote:What do I need to do?

Thanks
rwhen

Woah, weird... can you take screenshots of what you're seeing and email it to me (jonathan@theonering.com)? Also let me know what browser/OS you're using--it maybe a CSS issue that isn't working for the browser you're using...

Jonathan

Postby Dave_LF » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 am

Hi. I prefer to use Firefox and when I do everything is fine, but when I am forced to use IE9, I constantly get the "do you want to resend your postdata" alert when I refresh, and "webpage expired" when I try to go back. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about that...
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby Jonathan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

Dave_LF wrote:Hi. I prefer to use Firefox and when I do everything is fine, but when I am forced to use IE9, I constantly get the "do you want to resend your postdata" alert when I refresh, and "webpage expired" when I try to go back. Not sure if there's anything that can be done about that...

Yeah, that's IE -- nothing we can do about it on the code.

If anyone here is still using IE, allow me to encourage you to use Chrome/Firefox/Safari to browse the web. You'll have a merrier Christmas... :wink:

Jonathan

Postby basil » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Jonathan wrote:If anyone here is still using IE, allow me to encourage you to use Chrome

I'll second that.

I'm using Chrome and absolutely no problemos at all.

So should I be worried?

b
basil
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:57 am

I FINALLY convinced my coworker to switch to Firefox on her machine. First thing she said was, "Wow, it's a lot faster!"

:roll:

That's what I've been saying! :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby heliona » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Scribbles, it's been working fine for me this week, so I've no idea what happened. Perhaps Jonathan fixed it. :)

heliona

Postby enchantress » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Everyone :-D

Popped in this evening after years away and got back in to the new board after some tweaking, board looks great, but, like rhwen (Hi rhwen!) and some of the others I'm having the "can't log out" issue. The LOG OUT button does not appear for me anywhere. :(
Cleared my cache, clicked on the "remove all board cookies" thing and restarted the browser - it got me to LOG IN again (although I was still listed in the currently logged in users :? ), and again, no option to log out anywhere in the top right corner...
Unfortunately I'm running IE.

Help?

It all figures... it must be a ploy to keep wayward members from ever leaving again :wink: :P
Good to see so many familiar faces!!! *huggles for rhewn and SilverScribe*
enchantress
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to The One Ring