Facebook likes for posts?

Got an idea, or did we do something that you really find disturbing? Come here and tell us about it and we'll respond.

Facebook likes for posts?

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I've just noticed the new option to Facebook like an individual's posts. What's that about?

I'm on Facebook, but I have to say I'm rather cautious about it. Firstly, it sticks out like a sore thumb above the post and secondly I rather liked being in a place on the internet that wasn't anything to do with Facebook. (Also, I don't want what I post on TORC to necessarily be shown on Facebook, and I'm sure that there are others like me.) So how does this Facebook like thing work?
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Re: Facebook likes for posts?

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Unless you click on it, it does absolutely nothing. Maybe I can put it in a less conspicuous spot... where do you think it would look better?

Consider it a test for now to see if folks use it, and to see if we get some new folks here because of users liking posts

Social media has removed the need for fans to look for fan sites for the things they love--they'll just follow Peter Jackson instead of finding other fans... so maybe we can find some new fans this way!
Hi! I created this site in 1999. I was 23, unmarried, and didn't have kids. That's all changed. I'm working on getting this back to normal again... Welcome. :)

And if you want to help out with the site in any way, EMAIL ME or get a hold of me on FACEBOOK
Jonathan
Servant of the Secret Fire

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I would think that perhaps next to the "Quote" / "Edit" buttons on the top right? And if there's a way to make it look a little more like the rest of the buttons (I know that the Facebook symbol would still have to be there, but could it be surrounded by the TORC button?).

I understand the reasons behind it (that was me on Facebook talking about it), I'm just a bit wary about individual posts being liked and therefore posted to Facebook profiles. Whenever I find a thread that I think other people (who aren't on TORC) should read, I merely post a link to that thread. If this "Like" a post doesn't work, perhaps a way to do that (link an entire thread) would be better? :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby basil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I like the FB option.

But I promise not to use it on you, heliona.

Cross My Heart. :)

b
basil
Mariner

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:06 pm

:D Thanks.

Saying that, I doubt any of my posts are worthy of liking, anyway. :P

heliona

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 am

I love it! I've caught myself looking for the "Like" button, then remembering that I was on the boards not FB. When that happens, I usually want to make some kind of acknowledgement to the poster, but don't feel that I have enough to say to merit a full reply.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:31 am

PatriotBlade wrote:I love it! I've caught myself looking for the "Like" button, then remembering that I was on the boards not FB. When that happens, I usually want to make some kind of acknowledgement to the poster, but don't feel that I have enough to say to merit a full reply.

I understand that, but this doesn't really work like that. If you like my post, for instance, all I see is that I have a "Like", I don't know that it's you that has "liked". Also, really it's more of a share button, as clicking on it takes you to Facebook to share it. Really, what would better for what you want would be a TORC "like" button.

But one thing I like about TORC is the fact that people have to post, as opposed to just clicking a button to pass on their appreciation - it forces people to interact with each other and therefore get to know one another and become a community.

heliona

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:54 am

Have you tried hovering your mouse over the number of likes? That usually (on other sites that have the like button) gives you a list of the people who liked it. Also, you can "like" something without actually making a big post on FB, just hit the close button on the window that drops down. You still liked it, but didn't have to share it all over the place.

That said, I understand where you're coming from and I will try to remember to respect your concerns and not like your posts.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:11 am

PatriotBlade wrote:Have you tried hovering your mouse over the number of likes? That usually (on other sites that have the like button) gives you a list of the people who liked it. Also, you can "like" something without actually making a big post on FB, just hit the close button on the window that drops down. You still liked it, but didn't have to share it all over the place.

I've got an add-on on FIrefox that blocks the buttons, so I actually can't see anything anyway. :D (I found that the blue Facebook button was distracting.) But I would think that perhaps if there is a drop-down list so that you can see who has "liked" it then that would be better. Also, not being forced to share the post is also good. One other thing though is that a lot of people who post here aren't on Facebook and therefore can't like a post should they wish to. [Edited to add: I've just tried to hover over the number of likes on a post that had been liked and nothing came up at all - no indication of who had "liked" it.]

I don't mind other people liking my posts as long as it's not the ones where I'm complaining about my relatives or non-TORC friends! :D (Knowing Facebook, I'm sure it'd get back to them somehow!)

I think that's the one thing that worries me. On Facebook you can mostly control who sees what you post. Obviously here you can't control who sees anything, since anyone on the internet can see it, but here there is some form of anonymity and also most people don't just wander along to TORC and start reading chatty threads. Also, obviously people can share whatever you post, but you used to have to copy the link or the post and then physically go to another page. But with this "Like" button, everything you post is in the hands of someone else, who can now very easily share it with lots of people. I'm just slightly uncomfortable with the idea in general (although I can see the reasons behind it).

heliona

Postby Calma » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:20 am

Just my 2 cents, I don't like it one bit.

I don't care for facebook and I don't think it has any place here on TORC.
I understand your wanting to try to draw more fans here and all,
But if I wanted anything to do with Facebook, I'd have joined a long time ago.

I don't expect my opinion will count for much and I'll not gripe any more about it
I just wanted you to know what I felt is all.

Celebrating the return of TORC!
There's a party in the TVM!!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 30 :D

LOSSES: 30 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby rowanberry » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 pm

I guess what liking a post here does is that, one's Facebook page shows that e.g. "Rowanberry likes a post by Heliona on TORC" with a link to that post. Still, I'm not very fond of the idea; I'm on Facebook to keep in touch with some friends and buddies most of whom don't post here, and I'd like to keep the two places as separate as possible.

At least, what Heliona said; please make the Facebook button less conspicuous.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Frelga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:21 pm

While I realize that anything I post in public can be copied and shared by anyone, I'm not fond of this idea, either. I'm not on Facebook, so I can't "like" a post, and I am not that thrilled about people linking my posts to Facebook. They always can, of course, but I don't want to encourage them.

It could also end up being counter productive if conversations become fragmented and split to Facebook, diverting traffic from TORC.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby FrodoTook » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 pm

PatriotBlade wrote:Have you tried hovering your mouse over the number of likes? That usually (on other sites that have the like button) gives you a list of the people who liked it. Also, you can "like" something without actually making a big post on FB, just hit the close button on the window that drops down. You still liked it, but didn't have to share it all over the place.

That said, I understand where you're coming from and I will try to remember to respect your concerns and not like your posts.

Irony?

:)

I think you might still like some of them. :wink:

Hey PB.

Please know that I "know" what you mean.

I copied and pasted your entire message and underlined what caught my personal distorted sick eye. A excerpt, which could be taken out of context if just that part was copied / pasted.

I am just being literal and playing. :)

And thought it funny.

Absolutely no offense meant. As I say, just funny.

Hey, at least, I am reading and thinking. :)

I will try to remember to respect your concerns and not like your posts

Still..I think that is funny and hope you don't mind my saying so.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 pm

I'll weigh in here on the side of the "I do NOT like the Facebook like or link thing."

The Scribe has no Facebook, the Scribe needs no Facebook. ;) :P

In fact, I'm not crazy about Facebook (or it's equally annoying cousin Twitter) and have no plans whatsoever to join up, sign up . . . whatever . . . either in the near or far future.

I also do not like the idea that something I might post here will suddenly show up as a link on a buncha Facebook accounts. If I wanted my opinions up on Facebook, I'd have an account . . . but I don't. Will that matter a hill o' beans to anyone who loves Facebook, doesn't know of my aversion to it, and may happen to "like" one of my posts? Probably not. *sigh*

One one hand, I know it's just a "keeping up with the next evolution in the social media" thing. On the other hand, it makes me very uncomfortable because I have no way of knowing whether anything I've posted *here* ends up linked somewhere *else* (other than TORC).

I do understand that I am among the minority here and most important - I do not own this site. I also understand the logic behind staying with current trends and finding ways to bring new folks to TORC. However, I also don't have to "like" it . . . yes, pun intended.

:P :D :D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Good pun.

8)

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:24 am

In the past, I often felt like it would be nice to have a "like" button so that I can tell someone that I like or approve what he/she posted without annoying everyone with a full post telling it. Like on FB. But I agree with many others that I would have prefered this button to be part of TORC entirely, and not related to FB, so that everybody (even having no FB account) could like posts, and their username would appear as liking it.

However, I don't even know if that is possible to do, and if there is a demand for it. I would indeed use it, while I'm not sure I will use the FB Like link... even if I have a special "Isildilmë" account... will it appear on my FB wall, so that if I "like" 10 posts a day, my wall will be drown under these ? There are many points like this that make me unsure I want to try.
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 am

I really don't get what everyone's problem with this is. If you don't have Facebook, it won't effect you one bit (except cosmetically on TORC... which I can understand the aversion to).

If I e-mailed a friend a link to one of your posts, would it bother you? If so, why on earth are you putting such sensitive information on a public website in the first place?

If it wouldn't bother you, all this button does is makes it easier for me to share that link.

It's handy for those who might want to use it (though I can't imagine it being used very often anyway) and doesn't impact on those who don't.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 am

I see no objection if people "like" my posts and share them, of course. What I think is sad is that this option is available to FB users only. And I don't know if it will pollute my FB wall with constent mentions of "Isildilmë likes a post on TORC".

If no, I'm not that concerned, because my FB is made for Elvish and public usages.

But as not everyone will use this like button (by choice because it's linked with FB or by obligation if they are not on FB), I wonder how usefull will be that button.

If that was possible, I would vote for a "TORC like button", but we could also have a "share" button that would allow us to share a post wherever we want (on FB or elsewhere).

That is only an opinion and it doesn't ask anyone to change how he/she's doing things. I will still use TORC like before whatever happens with the button :) And I will always see as nice if people "like" my posts ;)
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 am

My comments weren't directly aimed at you Isildilmë, I agree that perhaps a TORC-centric 'like' option could work. Although maybe that would inadvertently stifle conversation (people 'liking' rather than replying?). Not sure about that.

I was more replying to the people saying, "I don't use Facebook, why are you trying to make me use Facebook?" which simply isn't the case.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:39 am

Hobbituk wrote:My comments weren't directly aimed at you Isildilmë, I agree that perhaps a TORC-centric 'like' option could work. Although maybe that would inadvertently stifle conversation (people 'liking' rather than replying?). Not sure about that.

I was more replying to the people saying, "I don't use Facebook, why are you trying to make me use Facebook?" which simply isn't the case.

I didn't feel directly aimed, don't worry... but I understand people saying that, because if you want to be able to use this TORC feature and so to "like" posts, than you have to open a FB account. Sad thing. As I already have a FB, I'm not concerned, but I understand how others can feel appart ;). But from there to feel offended, it would be a bit to much ! I didn't read every post of this thread, and I hope nobody felt that way :)

And I know what you mean with stifle conversation, but I like to compare it to real-life conversation : when somebody says something I agree with, sometimes I just smile or say "yes" with the head... sadly in a forum this is unseen, but with the "like" button it's solved. If I want to comment or to emphasis my appreciation, then I would indeed comment, but actually if I feel I have nothing to say I often just don't do nothing and the person doesn't know I liked what he/she said. Same thing if I'm late reading a post and I don,t want to open the subject again as people moved to other themes, so I just say nothing, when I could now use the button at least. However, this is a minor problem, of course ! It's just a thought.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 am

The way the "like" works, is the same as if you'd "like" something on FB, at the end of the day there's a thing that says "You have liked _____ (whatever the last thing it was you liked) and x# of pages." It will only show up majorly if you comment to FB every time you like it. Hit the like button and you get a window with the option to add a comment. Just hit close and it's like an easily overlooked ticker on one side of your FB page.

I don't drown in "You liked this post" posts on my FB time line, and in fact, even though I like (ha-ha) the feature, I've been using it sparingly for several reasons:
1. I'm afraid that I will get in the habit of over using it and thus the number and quality of my posts here will diminish.
2. Since a number of people on this board are uncomfortable with this new feature, out of respect for them, I am being extremely careful about what posts I "like".
3. I'm still not completely used to the fact that it's there, and so, sometimes I even forget about it.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Isildilmë » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the information :)
I'm using FB for a while, but I'm still not completely familiar with some points, and I thought that it could post a ton of "Isildilmë likes ___".

I liked your post just to make a test. Does it tell who liked it ? I cannot know as I'm the one who liked.

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 am

Unfortunately it doesn't show who "liked", and that's another sore spot for some of the "like" haters.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm a Facebook user putting her vote solidly in the "no" column. See, if one of my friends sees on my wall that "IrisBrandybuck likes a comment made by Heliona on TORC" I'm pretty sure they're going to think, "What the heck is TORC?" and then totally ignore it. I can't see it drawing people to the site, for one thing (even if it says "The One Ring" instead of TORC). Maybe TORC needs it's own presence on Facebook for that.

As it is, I'm aware that anyone can copy and paste a link to a post from here to FB, but again, why? It wouldn't mean much to anyone outside of TORC anyhow. I would much prefer, as others have suggested, having in-site like buttons.

But WHY is the rum always gone?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:10 pm

But I guess my point is, if you're not planning to use it... how will it have any impact on you whatsoever?

I do agree it's unlikely to have a huge uptake though.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am

Hobbituk wrote:If I e-mailed a friend a link to one of your posts, would it bother you?
If it wouldn't bother you, all this button does is makes it easier for me to share that link.

Hmmm. Very good point Hobbituk . . . I didn't quite think of it that way. And while I don't post 'sensitive' information on TORC, I have been known to have a strong opinion . . . or two. ;) )

I suppose this "like" thing just another facet of internet usage. Since nothing put on a public facing messageboard s private anyway, I could see it being more about the over-saturation of Facebook in every nook and cranny of our life (as heliona mentions) than anything else . . .

But all that aside, it still won't make me "like" Facebook . . . ;) :P ;)

:D :D :D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby oldtoby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 am

I'd like to lodge a request, If it is at all possible, to allow members to disable the whole FB thing here. for 2 reasons:

1st- I doubt i'll ever use it, heck i rarrely "like" things I see on FB itself.

2nd- (and more importantly) with having to load the little linky widget in every post it now takes for-ev-er to load the pages here.

thanks,

da Toby
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Return to The One Ring