Html problem on old posts

Got an idea, or did we do something that you really find disturbing? Come here and tell us about it and we'll respond.

Html problem on old posts

Postby wilko185 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 am

I honestly can't remember if this was the case before the current incarnation of TORC, but as I mentioned in the New Board... thread, there is a problem with all the posts on the board that are older than May 2004 (the date of a previous major board move). All the old posts display as raw html. Long posts are particularly hard to read, as paragraph breaks just appear as <BR> tags within a wall of text.

Some of us do still refer to and link to those posts, and it would be a shame if the board's history remained in its current less-than-ideal state. This obviously affects a lot of posts, perhaps about half the total ever posted to TORC.

I don't know if this can be easily fixed?
(I guess that phpBB probably doesn't allow html to just be 'turned on' en masse, for sensible security reasons).

[The links to the old set of smilies are also broken, such as http://www.tolkienonline.com/mb/i/expressions/face-icon-small-rolleyes.gif .. but that is probably a less annoying problem.]
wilko185
Mariner

Re: Html problem on old posts

Postby wilko185 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

I've had a look at "fixing" this from the client side with javascript, i.e. a bookmarklet or greasemonkey script. But I don't really know what I'm doing. The following replacements do not have the desired outcome, e.g. applied to this thread, where the display error appear on the first 14 posts (pre May 2004):

Code: Select all
function a (){document.body.innerHTML=document.body.innerHTML.replace(/&lt;/g, "<" );return;}; a();
function b (){document.body.innerHTML=document.body.innerHTML.replace(/&gt;/g, ">" );return;}; b();

Maybe it's to do with applying the change when firefox has already rendered the page?

If anyone can say what's wrong with the above approach, please let me know :).
wilko185
Mariner

Postby FrodoTook » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Hey Wilco.

I can't be of any help on this but do want to say I, too, enjoy reading the effected threads / posts and would love to read them easily..without having to sift through the "raw Html". I have not shared "reference links" to many of those threads because they are a bit of a chore to read. Which, as you said, is a shame because there are "many gems" in those threads...
perhaps about half the total ever posted to TORC

I really do hope this can be "fixed" for all of us and I thank you for your efforts. They are appreciated.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby wilko185 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks FT. I'm a bit stumped on this, but will try to come back to it.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm

I am at this too. I've seen the list of topics and I agree all of them are very in-depth discussions. I don't want to re-start these much debated topics and would be glad to read them all over.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to The One Ring