Differences between servers?

Got an idea, or did we do something that you really find disturbing? Come here and tell us about it and we'll respond.

Differences between servers?

Postby Morwenna » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm not sure if it's because it's a different server, but I noticed a difference between the board at home and at work. At home we use Google Chrome and at work it's Explorer.

But I have features (which were always standard) at home on Chrome and not at work on Explorer, and I don't know if it's because of the server or because of something about the computers at work going through an interoffice network. (For one thing, the office blocks all sites like Facebook and eBay.) To wit: the four white boxes above "User Control Panel" don't appear at work, and I've yet to find them blindly with the mouse, so the only way I can log in is by trying to post, and of course that means I can't quote anybody if I haven't logged in before trying. :( And there's a color difference as well; where the page titles are in red at home, at work they're brown; and whereas the premier members' names are in red and a different font here, there they're in a different font only and the same color.

So is this a server issue or a function of my office network?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Re: Differences between servers?

Postby rowanberry » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:47 am

I think it has to do with a) the office network, b) using a different browser, and c) different display.

It could be that, if sites like Facebook are blocked at your workplace, the same block "loses" the buttons on this site, although the site itself is available. Also, I don't know which version of IE you use at work; especially if it is some older version, it can mess up some features.

And, different displays can show colours in a bit different shades. I noticed it a few years ago on another site, where the colours looked different depending on if I got there on my work computer, home desktop, or laptop.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Return to The One Ring