The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:09 pm

Welcome to the Lucky Fortune Inn. It might not look like it right now but you have wandered into the Oldest Established Permanent Newbie-Friendly Role Play On TORC

If you have never tried Role Play here on TORC this is the place for you. No need to know any more than you do right now to join the fun. Try out a character or be yourself, come on in order a drink and pretend you are in your favorite pub. Don’t just sit in a corner join in the fun. Tell us of your adventures, ask about ours, or burst out in song, or dance on a table top. Do whatever you please with only two exceptions,

Don’t try and touch Agarak, we won’t be responsible for damages. Agarak is a dragonharp and just a little anti-social, but he’ll warm up

Never, Never, Ever, mention, hum or sing Meloncholy Baby,( Shhhh ya don’t want ta know)

Only one thing to remember, this is a Bard’s Bar and……..

IT’S GOOD LUCK TO BUY A BARD A BEER!!!
erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby erinhue » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:11 pm

The smell of new wood, fresh paint and polish came as perfume when Erinhue opened the doors of the newly rebuilt Lucky Fortune Inn. With all of their travels and adventures it had taken longer than expected to get the Bards’ Guild’s favorite tavern back in opening condition.

It was as close to the original as memory could make it. There was a triangular stage set off in one corner of the main taproom. There were rooms upstairs to accommodate road weary travelers. While no one could ever get an accurate account of their number there was always one more room available if there came a bard in need.

The long bar was made of dark mahogany with not one but two highly polished brass rails, the better to accommodate customers of varying stature. There were stools along the bar, tables and chairs in the center of the seating area and more secluded booths along the side and back wall. The kitchen, accessed from behind the bar, was as completely equipped as any hobbit chef could desire.

Above and behind the bar, exactly opposite the swinging doors of the main entrance, was a small velvet lined alcove with a brass nameplate beneath it. The plate read AGARAK and the dragonharp instantly appeared inside it color rippling across its green gold scales as it settled comfortably in. Any place where the dragonharp spent any length of time became slightly enchanted. The Lucky Fortune was a second home to the little dragonharp and as it settled in, a degree of magic also settled into the Lucky Fortune Inn.

Erinhue stepped behind the well stocked bar and looked it over. Everything was almost exactly where it had been the last time he’d set foot inside the Inn. Everything had been restored down to the long step running the back length of the bar so that Hobbituk did not have to stretch when he relieved the master bard and took a turn at tending bar.

Erinhue looked around. The remote image of the tapestry inside the Splintered ChamberPot that reflected the life and activity of the message board community known as TORC, slowly began to appear in its place along the far wall thanks to Agarak’s magic. The bard smiled as he put on his apron and began to set the bar in order to welcome patrons and friends old and new.

A bard must always answer
When he hears the road song call
But the road that leads him homeward
Is the best road of them all.

The bard sang the little ditty as he wiped imaginary stains from the bars polished surface. He stopped to think about Hobbie and all the others who had worked there from time to time, and wondered where they all were now and if any of them would come back to work now the Inn had been restored.

There was always someone, bard or not, looking for a job that didn't call for too much special skill or training. Just as customers would come so would those who would serve them. Erinhue did not worry much about it, worry was not a part of his natural disposition. He turned around to look up at the tiny alcove that held the dragon harp.

“Well Agarak, what do you think? Ain’t it good ta be home again?”
erinhue

Postby Robin_Greenleaf » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:25 pm

The door to the Lucky Fortune Inn swung open and in walked a handsome young Dwarf. "Hue. I heard over in the "Pot" you were looking for some help." Said Borin Silversmith, dwarf extrodinaire, " I'm here to lend you a hand or two to get this place a going."

"I'm a dwarf of many talents . I can even cook a reasonably good meal in a pinch. I've even been known to sing a tale or recite a poem. So draw me a cold one and let me know what's needed."said Borin

OOC: I forgot to log out my daughter before I posted. I'm trying to talk her into joining.We'll see. Borin
Robin_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Mellaurelom » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:16 pm

Black haired and green eyed, a half-elf smiled as she stepped up to the door of the Lucky Fortune. She was tired of playing scout in Rivendell and decided a bit of a change was needed. Stepping through the door, ahe smiled to see Borin, a friend of some recent acquaintence, and Erinhue, Master of the Bards' Guild. Sweeping off her cloak in a grand gesture, she strode over to the bar, propped afoot on the lower rail, and grinned at Hue. "So, now that the Inn's up and running, need any help?" She reached into an outside pocket on her pack and held out a yellowed poster 'Help Wanted. See proprietor of Lucky Fortune Inn' it read. "So, you still need help handsome?" and she winked at Hue.

Hue looked her over with a discerning eye, "Can you cook?" he asked. "Nope! Sorry, I burn water!" she replied, grinning. "Hmmm," he pondered, a smile growing on his face too, "Too small to be a bouncer, can't cook, what about serving?" She smiled at him, "Well, I've heard tell that I did a snap job over in the 'Pot for a bit, so let's try it!" They shook hands, both grinning like idiots. "I'll just drop my stuff in a room, and then I'll be back to learn my way around!" Prancing away, she smiled at Borin, and stuck her tongue out at the Dragonharp in his niche, he twanged at her. She bounced up the stairs, and Hue looked at Borin, "Well, she will be interesting, anyway."
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Erinhue smiled at the dwarf and the young woman standing in the Inn's tap room.

"This is a right auspicious start to things. We got a bartender and a cook and some one to serve the tables. I'd say that we are just about ready to be open for business.
erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:35 pm

"This is a right auspicious start to things. We got a bartender and a cook and some one to serve the tables. I'd say that we are just about ready to be open for business.
erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:36 pm

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:44 pm

erinhue

Postby Aerin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:15 pm

(OOC - Nice quadruple post, Hue! ;))

Aerin dances through the door, clicking her tongue cheerfully at Agarak and waving to her fellow Bards before darting down a side hall to the small suite she shares with her husband, Erinhue.

She soon returns, having brushed out her long raven hair and changing out of her travel-stained clothing. The elf now wears a simple white peasant blouse and a long, very full, dark red plaid skirt. A green stone flecked with gold hangs on a chain around her neck and a red rose is tucked behind her ear. On her feet are comfortable, well-worn black leather slippers.

Aerin slips behind the counter, blowing a kiss to Erinhue, and begins rearranging the bottles to a more sensible pattern.
Aerin
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:54 pm

Heather arrived at the Lucky Fortune Inn, riding her white elvin mare. In front of her in the saddle was a small child with wide green eyes. A smaller bay horse of ordinary origins followed on a lead rope, bearing the healer's luggage and that of her daughter. A young man ran out of the stables to asist her. She greeted him warmly and dismounted. Beryl reached for her mother and the halfelven woman took the child down and plopped her on her hip. she payed the lad for his troubles and stepped into the inn.
"Hallo, friends! Beryl will run around here while I work most of the time; just don't spoil her."
She winked at her fellow bards and turned to the kitchen, knowing full well that her little angel would be spoiled rotten in a few hours. She spent the next few hours investigating the cubbords and taking stock of some things she would be needing soon. For now she would work with what she had, but these herbs and a few staple supplies would have to be sent for as soon as possible.
She tied on an apron and tied her long curls back into a braid, then started a stew in the pot over the already hot fire. That done, she stepped out and leanedon the bar to await the first order.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Hidden_Ring » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Following not far behind the lovely Aerin is Orion, prefering to be much less flashy in his entrance. His grey Lorien cloak is tossed back over his shoulders, leaving exposed the sleeves of the silvery-steel of the chainmail shirt he always wears under the blacksih-green vest. Slipping through the door, the white-blond Elf gives a brief wave to Erinhue and to the dragonharp before stepping to the cellar door and heading down to a small pair of rooms squirreled away under the side hall.

Bouncing back up the stairs, Orion appears having changed clothes. The travelworn pants and vest are gone and, in their stead, are a pair of close-fitting slacks, tucked into smooth grain leather boots, polished to look like cordovan mirrors. A fine unbleached muslin shirt graces his torso, with a vest matching the boots that doesn't quite hide the lean wiry muscled body of the Elf.

Walking over to the Master Bard, Orion greets him with a hug and a deep smile.
I've missed coming in here. Glad to see ya reopened it, 'Hue. I was hoping you might need a bouncer, particularly the next time you get an pish-drunk gnome singing "the unmentionable".
Hidden_Ring
Ranger of the North

Postby Mellaurelom » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:25 pm

"Well, luvs!" Smiled Mell as she looked around at her friends, "This is a grand group to start things out!" She reached behind the bar to find a clean, white apron to tie about her waist, smoothing the pleats over the deep green skirt and off-white blouse. Her hair was already braided, then wrapped about her head to form a crown of deepest midnight. She gave each of her friends a hug, and thanked Hue again for the job. She grabbed a tray full of mugs, and saucily presented one to each of the others before taking one for herself, "To the Lucky Fortune!"
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby Faith_Hawking » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:11 am

Faith glanced down at the finely penned parchment and grinned.
If her Atar knew where she was, he’d probably tie her to a mast-head.

But for the moment she didn’t’ care. It was time she tasted of independence and learned what laid beyond the boundaries of Hawk’s Lair. What good was an education if one never got the chance to put it in practice? It use to be called, recruitment… now the scribes gave it a fancy name …
“Public relations”. Well, she’d soon see how well this new idea would go over.

Rumor had it that the Lucky Fortune Inn had been renovated and was about to reopen.
If her timing was right, she’d get in on the ground floor… that is if she could sell the owners on letting her act as their representative and promote the place to new arrivals to Middle-Earth.

Faith paused on the doorstep, pinched her cheeks, fluffed out her hair, reached for the latch and opened the door.

Though she tried not to gawd, she couldn’t help it.

It’s all I imagined it to be!

Removing her cloak, Faith hung it on one of the pegs lining the wall, and squared her shoulders before entering the common room. There was no mistaking the renown Bard and owner, looking dignified wearing a bar apron. Faith cleared her throat, approached, handed him her credentials and curtsied.

“I’m at your service, Sir.”
Faith_Hawking
Shield Bearer

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:31 am

Well, Borin thought (,as more and more friends from the Pot joined in) this is going to be interesting. There were several people he didn't know but soon would judging by their friendliness.

Borin took a mug off the tray that Mell offered and Toasted the others "Cheers. Here's to old aquaintances and many new friendships."

Just then Borin felt a tugging on his leg and looked down. There was the little one that belonged to Heather. She stood there looking at Borin with those big green eyes and holding her arms up. Borin had no experience with youngsters, most seemed afraid of him. Oh well nothing ventured. Borin knelt down and the little girl put her arms around his neck so he picked her up, feeling totally inadequate. Heather looked over, smiled and said "looks like she's made another conquest. Don't worry Borin she doesn't bite."

Borin stood there drinking his ale and talking with the others while he held the child. Soon he noticed a shifting in her weight so he looked down---she was snuggled into his shoulder sound asleep. Borin got Heather's attention and the mother came and got her child to put down for a nap.
Borin stood there lost in thought..this was going to be some kind of learning experience for the young dwarf. These people made him feel like he fit in.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:49 am

"You know Hue" said Borin " We really need to get some customers in here. We have a full house of workers and now we need some visitors"

"What do you all think?" Borin asked the others "How can we get this place going?"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Dubatuluk » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:44 pm

More beer? offered Dubatuluk from the corner. Free beer? or a party maybe?
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Nicolette_StormChaser » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:05 pm

When the door opened everyone turned around and they saw a hobbit walk in......
"hey is this place open, I am new around here and I have been travleing for a wile and need some food and some good ale, My name is Penelope Brandybuck"
Nicolette_StormChaser
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:42 pm

" WELCOME to the Lucky Fortune.My name is Borin Silversmith,resident dwarf. Step up to the bar and the Inn master Hue will draw you a pint." Borin said.to the newcomer in the corner as he extended a hand.May I ask your name .

Borin then walked over to the Hobbit lass. "Welcome Miss Brandybuck. May we call you Penny? If you'd like some food I'm sure our cook will have something ready in a moment. Perhaps you'd rather have a seat at one of our tables and our server will get you what you need. Just ask anyone and they will be glad to help in any way." As Borin was talking to the Hobbit lass he walked her over to a low table and pulled out a chair for her to sit down.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:54 pm

"I could draw the young lady a pint of our finest but I also have some herbal tea that weary travelers just swear by." Erinhue moved behind the bar so that he was standing closer to Penelope. He leaned his tall frame over the bar to get nearer her perspective "Would ya prefer that with a bit of honey? If ya don't mind my saying that looks more like ya than a pint eh, darlin'"
erinhue

Postby Mellaurelom » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 pm

Mell watched and Erinhue deftly greeted the newcomer and put her at ease. She bustled into the kitchen, and grabbed a platter filled with veggies, including some fresh-picked mushrooms. Coming back out of thekitchen, she placedthe platter on one of the hobbit-sized tables. "Milady Penny, here are some munchies to get you started, While we wait for Hue to get the water boiled for your tea. Welcome to the Lucky Fortune!" She smiled at the hobbit, again welcoming her.
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:04 am

Cam stood at the doors of the new Lucky Fortune Inn with some trepidation. He had called for the make over and was uncertain of what he would find within. But one thing he did know and that was the larder was almost bare.

He shifted the weighty hamper to his other shoulder with a grimace. His muscles gave their usual out cry from over use. He was not a young man. His grey main was cropped short and was presently covered by a woollen hat, the colour of which had long faded to a mangy brown. He wore fine leather breaches, dark in colour and boots to the knee. His shirt was once white but now sported a well-laundered yellow tinge. His waste coat and jacket were of dark green wool felt with sliver brocade that had half come out. He straightened his coat, took a deep breath and swung the door wide.

Heads turned his way as he entered. Cam stood for a second in the foyer, whipping off his hat and letting his eyes adjust to the light. He grinned broadly and headed to the bar.
“Good evening sir” he said nodding to the barman “I’m Camden. Thankyou for responding to my call, the place looks right. A pint of your best if you’d be so kind, I've just brought a few things for the larder”

Before Hue could respond with more than a “Greetings to you sir”, Camden was heading toward the kitchens.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:56 am

Erinhue watched Cam go off towards the kitchens with hiw burden. In moment there were such smells coming from that direction that the bartending bard just stood still for a moment and breathed them all in. After the delightfully savory sniff, he went to put the kettle on. the evening was just beginning and there might be more travelers who would enjoy a warm brew of a different kind.
erinhue

Postby Aislinn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:22 am

This new day had found her straying far from her usual road. The familiar scent of once trod woods overcomes her and memories rush back in a flood of tidal waves. Her heart is beating a mile a minute.

Aislinn realizes how much time has passed since she's forged this path and secretly wonders if she'll still be welcome at the inn. The auburn haired woman so missed the companionship and the fellowship she once found here. Perhaps enough time has passed now and all was well. All of her wanderings and weariness had finally won the day. She needed to rest and find sustenance. She lifted her head towards the endless sky, a fierce determined chin and haunted eyes of emerald green beseeching and pleading. Peace soon settled over her. With one last look behind Aislinn gripped the door and entered. She loosened the hood of her cloak and to let it rest across her shoulders. A refreshing goblet of wine was her first priority. She would worry about forgiveness later.

Her eyes lit warmly upon the jovial barkeep, "I beg you sir. Might I have a glass of your finest wine?"
Aislinn
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mellaurelom » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:44 pm

As the beautiful woman stepped through the door, Mell straightened up from leaning against the doorframe to the kitchen, where she had been chatting with Borin. Whe the lady asked for a glass of wine, Erinhue gallantly pulled a beautiful crystal goblet from beneath the bar and poured a glass of deep ruby wine. "For you, milady." He presented her with the glass and a deep bow, smiling the whole time. Mell stepped over to him and elbowed him in the ribs as he starightened up, "You flirt," she acccused him. With a twinkle in his eye he replied, "But of course! Can you blame me?" Mell sighed, and shook her head, before asking the young lady, "May I fetch you something from the kitchen to go with your wine?"
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:58 pm

"Welcome my lady may I introduce myself, I'm Borin Silversmith as you can tell I'm a dwarf, I'd be glad to help in anyway needed. All you need is to ask" said Borin as he extended his hand to the young lady. " and if I may be so bold may I ask your name?"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Doggins » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:38 pm

The sun is gone down. This moon is casting a dim light through the windows of the not-so-busy inn. A slim figure dressed in a simple black cape slinks through the door. She makes her way over to the beer stained counter sits down, and, when asked "what'll it be?" Thinks a moments then says, "Ale. And a piece of lembas." The pale-faced innkeeper looks shocked, he's wored all day and it having trouble concentraiting. "Lembus? Uh. Leembus" The figure slips down the hood of her cape, revealing an half-elvish woman. With the distinguishing ears and lovely face. But set in this face was a pair of peircing eyes. Which were staring at him underneather a perfactly even raised eyebrow. "Yes, lembas." "Oh, that kind o'lembas!" The inn-keeper turn away to get what she ordered as the half-elf adds, "And I'll be staying the night." She get up and walks over to a deserted table in the corner.
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mellaurelom » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:51 pm

Borin called bakc to the kitchen, "Hey, we got any lembas?" When he got an affirmative reply, he turned back and drew a pint for the lady. Mell grabbed a serving platter and got the plate of lembas from the kitchen, then collected the ale. She strode over to the lady's table and plaqced the food and ale in front of her. Witha smile at the other half-elf, she said, "If you're staying the night, you'll want to speak with Erinhue, there. He's the proprietor of this place." She nodded her head in the human's direction, "And don't mind the dragonharp, he can get testy sometimes." At which Agarak let out a jangling chord. "I'll let you eat, and be back shortlt to see if you need anything else." She smiled again, then walked back to the bar, sticking her tongue out at the harp as she passed.
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby Nicolette_StormChaser » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:31 pm

As Mell brought over Penny her food Penny asked

"It is getting late do you have any hobbit sized rooms avalible, It has been a while sence I have slept in a bed, because of my travels."
Nicolette_StormChaser
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mellaurelom » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:56 pm

"But of course my dear!" Mell smiled at the lovely young hobbit, "You mosst likely don't know, but the co-owner of this place is a hobbit! And I believe that he made sure there were some comfortable hobbity rooms here!" She pointed across the bar to Hue, who was leaning against the bar, chatting with Borin. "That's the gentleman to speak with, he'll know where you need to go. Just speak with him when you'reready to retire. Or, if you'd like to drop your pack in your room and come back to join us here for music and maybe some dancing later, you can do that oo. No need to worry about things being taken here! The Inn protects it's customers." With a wave, she scooted off tothe kitchen, hungry for some food herself.
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:51 pm

As Cam returned from the kitchens, stretching his back, he noted a few extras had come into the Inn. He noded amicably at the Elven maiden seated at the table in the corner and then smiled broadly at the handsome, auburn haired woman drinking wine. A dwarf stood next to her and seemed somewhat mesmerized.
“Greetings and good evening” he said lifting his ale in salute. He then drank down half the tankard before turning to make a formal introduction.

“I am Camden son of Keldír, though most call me Cam.” He gave a short bow to them both and did the same to the Inn keeper and the woman who had been waiting tables.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Welcome!