The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

Postby Lebasi » Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Lunt left the lady and padded into the room, a smile breaking out on his healing face as he saw his brother in the bed. He clambered up and sat watching him, waiting for him to speak. The older boy thanked the lady and tunrned to him.

"Are you OK? The lady said they looked after you, what did they...?" Lunt understood and opened his mouth for his brother to see inside, watched his eyes widen as they took in the healing that had happened there, then looked pointedly at Borimod's stomach. He lifted the shirt that he was wearing to show his own wound. "It's OK. They are very kind here. they haven't asked us to pay for what they have done but... mother said not to accept charity unless I needed to. Unless the only option was to have done with pride, at least for a time. We have little to give. I am sorry my brother but would you help me to pay?" his voice choked as he spoke of his mother and did not right itsself, yet in answer, Lunt nodded, understanding the ambiguos request, smiled as well as he could through both his wounds and his brother's fear, and wound his small arms around Borimod's neck, where he remained.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm

When the dinner rush had died down, Heather put some more soup, bread, and milk onto a tray to take up to the boys.

"May I go with you, Mamma?" Beryl asked.

"No, dear. Why don't you take Dori to meet Willum and show her around that stables and the gardens before it gets too dark? I'll be back shortly." The healer made her way carefully up the stairs and listened carefully at the door before knocking.

"Come!" came a youthful, but tired sounding voice.

Heather entered and set down the tray. "You boys ready for some supper?"

They nodded.

"Let me look you both over real quick first. She sat in a chair and beconed to them.

Lunt hopped down first and came to her. This was the nice lady that had healed him and his brother. She was nice, and besides, she smelled of herbs and other good things, even when the room had been overpoweredwith the smaell of his brother's blood. He let her look in his mouth. She seemed pleased with what she saw because she nodded and smiled right into his eyes.

"Now, little one, you may hop up to the table and eat."

He grinned at her, then hurried to do just that.

"Now, young man, we need to have a chat." she said, rising and steppping twards the bed.

The older boy froze, his expression unreadable.

She realised she was being too abrupt. "I'd like to first introduce myself. My name is Heather." She held out her hand for him to shake.

He hesitantly clasped her hand. "The healer lady?"

"Yes. Let me see that wound for a moment?"

He lifted his shirt so she could inspect its progress.

She frowned when she saw he'd removed the bandaging. "I'll medicate that and bandage it back up after you've eaten," she left unsaid that she intended for it to stay in place this time, then continued, "Now, I'd like to know your name, your brother's name, how old you both are, and how you came to be so badly hurt." She said, bringing the tray over. and settling it over his lap.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Lebasi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:00 am

The boy looked to Heather, apology for the youthful curiosity and hope that had caused him to take off the bandage in his eyes. "My name is Borimod and my brother is Lunt," he looked to the boy and saw him hungrily drinking the soup and milk that he had been given and chewing carefully around the bread, unable to navigate his mouth with the stump of his tongue. "We..." he cursed himself for his weaknesses as his voice choked with the memories and started again "it is difficult to tell. I- I don't know everything..."

"Tell me your ages," Heather spoke softly "and how long you have been alone,"

Borimod began again "Lunt turns seven this year," he paused "So I have been fifteen these two months. We have been alone since Lunt was five."

The healer spoke again "Eat, before it gets cold. Then tell me, if you can why this is,"

"We..." he paused again and began to eat "it is a long tale, and complicated. Surely you are not concerned by our history,"

"I want to help you and it will be easier if I know. You are safe here. Please, tell me and start as early in the tale as you need,"
“We travelled in a land south of here. We had a wagon and a horse with our mother and father and we moved for a most of most days. When Lunt was very little my mother and I looked after him and led the horse, then Lunt started to help when he was bigger, because my father needed to rest mostly. He... he left every night when we stopped. My mother told me it was... shady,” he paused wondering if he had understated his father’s work, then continued, he didn’t know about it himself and he needed these people to respect him. “But Lunt and I didn’t know this. We knew only that it was dangerous, so passed many sleepless nights wishing he would come back. While my mother passed many wishing he wouldn’t, or so she told me,” the conversation was interrupted by a loud yawn from the younger boy, who had eaten quickly and was nearly half asleep. Heather went to him and the older boy stopped, tired from the part of the tale that he had told. He finished his own food, yet his wound twinged and he was forced to lie back.
Heather, from her position helping his brother, looked to him “thank you for telling me what you have. You need to rest your wound now, but I must ask you to tell me more later,”
The boy realised now how bad his wound had been and watched the healer swing his brother, now more than half asleep, into her arms “Please. Can he stay here? In this room?” Borimod knew that the women could look after Lunt better than he could, especially with his wound, yet still he wanted to be able to make sure his brother was safe himself.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:40 pm

The healer's soft look of understanding accompanied by a small smile told Borimod that his request would be granted. She gently tucked Lunt in beside him, then collected the dishes and plates.

"Good night, lads. call for me if you need anything."
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 am

The inn up ahead was a welcome site.
Having been travelling for many days she was tired of roadside camps and decided that her limited funds would stretch to a decent meal and the use of a stable.
She hoped that her late arrival and her travel stained appearance would not cause any offense.There was also the matter of her companions.
'Well lads, shall we give this place a try?'
Three enquiring pairs of eyes watched her and two tails wagged.
She loosened the horses girth and tied it to the fence.
She then turned her attention to the two dogs.
'You'd best sit out here while i make some enquiries. Stay. And gaurd my gear.'
She shrugged back here hood and entered the inn.

The inn seemed quite but there was a woman busy clearing tables.
The woman didn't seem to have heard the new arrival over the sound of clattering crockery.

The new arrival coughed to announce her presence.
'Good evening. I hope that i have not arrived too late to purchase a meal, and the use of one of your stables for the night.'
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Dori was busy in the kitchen. Beryl had taken her to the stables where she met Willum .. He reminded her of the young man who had taken her away from the bad man. He even smiled at her. The stables were a wonderful place ... the smell of the hay freshly put down for the horses ... the warm musky smell of the horses themselves ... there was even a cow with her calf, Willum let her help milk the cow . we used to have a cow on the farm before everyone got sick and I had to trade her for medicine.

After spending time in the stable Dori and Beryl went back in the Inn. The young girl went off to find her mother and Dori saw a pile of dishes waiting to be washed. Picking up the kettle with both hands I hope I don't spill. this kettle is heavy Dori poured the hot water in the dishpan. After filling the kettle and putting it on to heat again, Dori started in on the dishes. Vana stood in the doorway with hands full of dirty dishes and had to laugh to herself. There was no way she would say anything to this broken girl but watching her trying to reach the dish tub and getting more water on herself and the floor than on the dishes was a joy to watch. Walking over with the dishes Vana said " Thank you so much for the help, Dori, Heather is busy with the boys so I had to wait on the folks in the dining room. Would a step help you reach better?"

"Yes Thank you Mis ..Vana. I used to have one my Da made me when I was little." Dori answered with a brief flash of pain in her eyes.

"Well I believe we have one around here that we use to help reach things."Vana said as she found the step under the work table. "Are you alright here I still have more tables to clean then I'll come help you alright."

"I'm fine now thanks" Dori said giving Vana one of her rare smiles as she turned back to the dish pan.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Vana then returned to the tap room where she was listening to the many stories from the men gathered there. She would chuckle to herself as she heard some of the wild tales that they were giving to try and best each other. When Vana suddenly heard someone clear their throat and she knew instinctively that it was not another of the male patrons so she turned.

'Good evening. I hope that i have not arrived too late to purchase a meal, and the use of one of your stables for the night.'

Vana smiled at the woman standing there. Though it was tough to tell how young the woman was or how old for that matter. She was a bit road weary and covered with the dust of several days travel.

"Of course you are not too late!!! Come let me find you a seat where you can rest while I get you some of our famous Hobby Stew!" Vana lead her over to a corner table where she would not be too bothered by the normal crowd. "Would you care to freshen up before your meal? We have a place where you can wash up if you like?"

"I don't think I have enough to pay for the luxury at this time. But the meal would be muchly appreciated." The visitor stated with her eyes cast down a bit.

"None sense! I wont charge you to wash up. Come with me!" Vana lead her to the back room where they normally did the laundry and there the young woman found a huge sink where water could be placed that would give her almost enough room to bath should she desire it. "Let me get you some hot water and then I will let you clean up as you wish."

Before Vana could leave the woman turned to her and smiled. "Your generosity is very kind!"

Vana smiled back, "I will be right back!" Soon Vana returned with several pots of water steaming but not so hot as to burn anyone. She poured them into the sink and also handed the woman a towel and pointing out the soap beside the sink.

"Come back in when you are ready and I will have your stew ready. You also said that you needed some room in the stable, do you have a horse that the stable hand can brush down for you? I know he would take great care of your horse while you eat."

"I will get my horse settled when I finish, thank you."

"Okay that is fine." With that Vana headed out and shut the door behind her.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby tarathiel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:23 am

I thank you again for your kindness. She said as the woman closed the door. It was many days since she had enjoyed the luxury of a wash in warm water but she was well aware that her companions were still outside awaiting her return. She quickly removed her travel cloak and set about removing the worst of the dust and dirt that the last week of travel had left. She stepped out of the back room and approached the bar. 'would you be so kind as to show me to your stables so that i can tend my travel companions' she turned towards the door. 'i'm so sorry. I didn't introduce myself. I am called storm'
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm

"Mae govannen, Storm. My name is Vana!" She smiled her usual warm friendly smile. "Yes we do, let me get someone to show you out and get you settled, then when you come back in just let me know and the food will be at your table."

Vana raised her hand and waved it at a young lad, a hobbit from the looks of him to Storm and he came right over. Vana leaned down and spoke directly to him, "This is Storm. Will you please take her and her horse to the stables and help get her settled in? Then tell ole Bill who the horse belongs to and bring her back so that I can then feed her."

"Yes Miss Vana!" The boy smiled. "This way Storm!" He motioned for Storm to follow him.

"Go ahead Storm and they will take good care of you." Vana smiled

"Thank you!" Storm responded then followed the young lad out the front door.

"So what is your name?" Storm asked the lad as they walked up to her horse and dogs.

"WOW! Are these your dogs?" The lad asked in amazement. "I don't think I have ever seen a dog this big before!" His grey eyes were wide with wonder. "Oh, my name is Rugo!"
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lebasi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Through the shadows, Aeona had been watching the newcomer with interest, during the brief snatches of time that she had been in the room. Something about her caught her eye, airs that she would learn many who entered this inn posessed. There had been a fair few newcomers of late, of whom she herself was one, and each snagged her interest, though each was different and she had comunicated little with any.

Thinking about this woman sparked her interest in the others, and she wondered if Dori was OK and the young boys also.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:30 pm

'I am pleased to meet you Rugo, and yes they are my dogs. The large one is called Wolf and the smaller one is called Fox. They are my travel companions and friends. Let me introduce you.'
The hobbit approached quietly.
'Will they bite?'
'Not unless i tell them to. Boys Here! Meet your new friend.'
She squatted down on her heels and beconed the hobbit lad to her side.
'Hold out your hands to let them get a sniff of you.' She instructed.
Rugo did as she suggested and, despite his nerves, stood still as he was subjected to a gentle sniffing from two wet noses.
Storm smiled as she watched the hobbit lad. Although he was initially nervous he quickly realised that he was in no danger, despite the fact that Wolf was nearly as tall as he was. He was soon patting both dogs as though they were old friends.
'Now where can i settle my horse?'
Rugo disentangled himself from the two dogs and led the way towards the stables.

Rugo introduced Storm to Bill, the head lad and then watched as she quickly and quietly untacked the large bay gelding. He stamped his hoof and snorted impatiently as she rubbed him down and fed him some hay from the bales stacked in the corner.
'He's a handsome beast alright.' Bill said as he watched Storm at work.
'He is that.'
'From Rohan i'd guess.'
'Yes. A gift from a friend. His name is Moroc.'

Rugo was watching Storm and Bill tend to the horse when he remembered Miss Vanas instructions.
'Erm, Storm? If your horse is settled now will you follow me back to the inn.
Miss Vana will have your supper ready by now.'
'Ok Rugo. He's happy now. Lead on.'
They walked towards the inn.
'Rugo, do you think Miss Vana will allow my two friends here into the inn? They promise to be quiet and well behaved.'
'I'm not sure, i'll go ask.'
He hurried into the inn leaving Storm, Wolf and Fox outside.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Rugo came almost running in in excitement to find Vana.

"Miss Vana?" he asked leading into his question. He was out of breath and very excited which almost put Vana into a panic.

"What is it Rugo? Is everything alright?" She asked in dismay.

"Yes ma'am but Miss Storm has a couple of friends that she travels with and wanted to know if they could come in as well? They are very friendly!"

"Well of course everyone is welcome here, you know that!" Vana almost scolded when Rugo interrupted her.

"No they are not people Miss Vana...... they are..." he swallowed before going on. "They are dogs and one is HUGE!!"

Vana frowned at first then stood straight and wiped her hands on her skirts. "Well that does change things a bit. But I suppose they are hungry as well."

"They really are nice dogs!" Rugo went on.

"I am sure they are hon but.... let me think a minute. Hm....... I suppose we could bring them in the back door and then get them into the laundry room where they can eat and have a place to lay down and rest while Storm is here. That is until we get her settled into a room. Then if they remain quiet I suppose we can let them into her room if she will be responsible for them?" Vana went on thinking out loud.

"Rugo lead me to Storm and the dogs please!" With that Rugo headed out of the kitchen and out the front door with Vana in tow.

Vana stepped outside and was struck with just how BIG the HUGE dog really was. "My!" She exclaimed.

"These are my traveling companions, Wolf and Fox!" Stormed introduced the dogs to Vana. But Vana could not help but flinch back at first.
"You will be okay! They will not challenge anyone unless I tell them to."

"That is good to know!" Vana half giggled with fear and relief. "They are beautiful dogs. Is Wolf part wolf? He is an amazing animal and so big!"
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby tarathiel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:40 am

Storm heard Rugos exited return even before the door opened. She made certain both dogs were sitting down and motioned to them to stay quiet.
She knew well that Wolfs size and shape could be offputting to some people and she wanted them to make a good impression.

Vana and Rugo appeared and, as most people did when they first met Wolf, Vana put here hand to her mouth and took a step back.
"Oh My!" She exclaimed.

Storm handled the introductions and tried to reasure Vana that Both Wolf and Fox were under complete control and perfectly safe.
She noticed that, as usual, it was Wolf who held her attention. Little did people realise that should Storm be threatened it was always Fox who got the first bite in. With his happy face and wagging tail he was usually underestimated.

Vana seemed to be relieved to here Storms reasurances. "They are beautiful dogs. Is Wolf part wolf? He is an amazing animal and so big!"
"I'm afraid i know little of his ancestry but it is reasonable to assume that his name reflects his breeding. I took him from a cruel merchant who kept him chained up with no shelter and used to beat him."
She called the dog to her side where he sat, alternating his gaze between Storm and Vana.
"I can assure you that they will cause no trouble. And i would be greatfull if i could purchase some meat for them. They are as hungry as i and it would be unfair of me to see to my own needs without first looking out for them. I understand if your other customers will be disturbed by them and we will be perfectly comfortable in the stables for the night."
She stood and looked calmly into Vanas eyes, all the while resting one hand on Wolfs head.

Vana tore her gaze away from the large dog and turned her attention to the woman who stood before her. She was surprised to realise how tall and broad shouldered that she was. Her grey green eyes and straight dark hair spoke of Numenorean descent but her braids and the type of bow she carried suggested an elvish conection.
But the thing that struck her most was that, quiet and humble as she appeared to be, this was one woman who could hold her own.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 pm

"Considering the size of the dogs and the situation that you described yourself in, I believe we can find you a room off the tack room where the dogs can remain with you. That is if the accommodations will work for you?" Vana smiled. "Unfortunately I don't think many of the guests in the Inn would be too excited to have the dogs inside the Inn. I am sorry!"

Vana apologized profusely and felt terrible about not allowing the animals inside but she hoped that Storm would understand. She lead Storm into the stables and to the room she was thinking of off the tack room. As she opened the door the light from the one window in the room brightly lit the walls which were made of wooden planks much as the stable itself was but tighter fit together. The bed was simple but adequate for someone who might need merely a place to rest off the road. It had a small table next to the bed with a tallow candle in a holder and a small pot belly stove in the corner. The room was clean even in its simplest setting.

Storm was smiling and Vana hoped that it meant that she liked the room and how it would work for her and the dogs to hold up in while they were guests of the Inn.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Dori had finished up the dishes for now and was going to take some leftover pie out to her new friend Willum in the Stable. He said to call him Bill but she like the name Willum. Just as Dori got to the Stable Miss Vana was bringing a lady over. Dori was not so interested in the grownups but the lady had two dogs. Dori remembered the dog Da kept on the farm. He was supposed to help with the stock but when he wasn't working he was her constant companion.

Dori took the pie in and put it on Willums work table then went back outside. She slowly walked over to where Miss Vana and the lady were standing and talking. The lady noticed Dori when the largest dog gave a low rumble in his throut. The little one gave an excited Yip. Dori knew better than to go close to a strange dog so she just knelt down where she was and watched them.

Storm looked at this child and thought to herself ... Smart child she knows enough to stay away...

Vana saw Dori looking at the dogs. Turning to Storm she said. This young one showed up here the other night practically starved. She has had a rough time from what we can figure. We know she's scared to death of most men especially the ones in the Tavern. She also told us her family died of some sickness but like others who have showed up here low of funds we have taken her in and she does what she can. She's a great helper in the kitchen but she's had no formal education. So we tend them and heal them and send them out better then they came in. We have a couple of young men who have been terribly abused in a room now trying to heal.

Storm knelt next to the dogs " Wolf , Fox I believe this young one would like to meet you. Behave yourselves." Looking to Dori she said "Vana says your name is Dori. My name is Storm. These are my friends Wolf and Fox. Would you like to meet them? They won't bite if I tell them not to."

Dori did not say a word she just shook her head and slowly walked over to the dogs and sat down. "Hi Wolf... Hi Fox ... my names Dori ... I miss my dog ... I had to leave him when I left... " Storm stood between the dogs listening to this child pour her heart out to the animals. Suddenly they did something she had not seen them do before. Fox climbed into Dori's arms and started licking the tears on her face and Wolf laid his head in her lap comforting the girl as only an animal can.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:33 am

Storm watched the dogs as they made friends with the child.
They were both well travelled and, although Fox had come to her as a young pup and had only known one mistress, Wolf knew well what it was to suffer at the hands of others.
She was sure that they sensed the sorrow that their new friend carried.
But she should probably warn Vana that, having been accepted as a friend, the child would be considered to be under their protection. That might give any of the taverns visitors who worried the child something to think about.

The room that she had been shown was ideal. It meant that she would be able to keep her friends close. And make sure that the often badley behaved Moroc didn't get into any more trouble. He was a fantastic horse to ride but had, in truth, been gifted to her because he was totally unsuited to life as a war horse of Rohan. He also had a nasty habit of opening stable doors and frightening stable hands.
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 am

Heather returned the dishes to kitchen where she quickly washed and put them away before banking the fire down for the night. It would keep the soup warm enough for any hungry late comers, but was less of a fire hazard to the inn. She quickly and with practiced ease prepaired the dough for the morning sweet rolls and left them on a baking tray to rise through the night, covered with a thin cloth. Once she was satisfied that the kitchen would be ready for the breakfast rush, she stepped out into the taproom.

Vana and Dori were talking with a new arival and a pair of dogs. The half elven haler smiled as she watched her new charge playing with the animals, though she was surprised when she didn't see Beryl there as well.

"Dori, it's late. You should head to bed soon."

The girl looked up, smiling. "Yes, Miss Heather," she said, then started to bit her new, furry friends good night.

"Vana, sorry to interupt, but have you seen Beryl?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Scélian » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Things hadn’t gone exactly as planned. Come to think of it, nothing in Scélian’s life had gone as planned. First there had been the old drunk her mother had sold her to that smelled of mold that had to pass for a husband. Then came the puppeteer who loved his whip more than his puppets. Not having the will or the patience to stick that out she had left his company one day at nightfall, leaving the city of Gondor. She had wandered through many towns and holdings renting herself for many an odd job. Far from any real town she had come across this nice enough inn. Its stables had been a very warm welcome from the pouring rain storm that darkened the land the past few days. She had been caught sleeping in the stables by the Innkeeper. Just the luck. He had had no intention to listen to her most honest pleads of innocence. Not even the batting of a lash or two or generous compliment about his large and oh so warm stables would make him budge. Instead he had offered her a deal. She would pitch in and in turn she would get a bed in the servants quarters. If she wouldn’t , she could leave. Rain or no rain. Hard man to bargain with. The rain was of a kind that soaked man, horse and hound to the bone. She knew when to count her losses. She took the deal.

That was how Scélian came to find herself in a stained yellow apron with a rag thrown over her shoulder, leaning lazily against the far end of the bar near one of the banked down fires. Heather, one of the inn’s workers, had done a thorough job clearing the inn of most clutter and had even prepared fresh dough for next morrow’s breakfast. She was a responsible one Scélian gathered. Little left for her to do but eye the few customers left around the room. Fine by her. She had a room for this night anyway. The customers came from all over Middle Earth she observed. She saw travellers with a dog or two, some more sedy looking keeping well to themselves. A couple of elves who, despite their travelling attire, looked well adorned with a couple of expensive looking broaches. Squinting a bit she could see the closing mechanism. A pin had to be bend to open the broach. The pin was small but not too small for her hands. If she could just... But no, might not be the greatest idea to try get your hands , however nimbly, on a customer’s belongings as a hired help. Shame. They did not look like they’d miss it. It would mean three meals a day and a warm bed for the next two weeks for her at least. With great difficulty she broke her gaze away from the golden and jewel encrusted ornament. Trying hard to look uninterested she met the cool blue eyes of the wearer. The fair haired elf matched her stare. Scélian frowned slightly. She never did like elves much. No one who thought they were better than her, especially because they we ages older than her. And this particular one looked like he had had tea with Eru himself judging by his haughty look. Scélian snorted disdainfully and broke away first, running one of her slender hands through her thick reddish brown curls.

“Would you mind?”one of the maids dumped a tray of freshly washed mugs on the counter. “Quit staring and make yourself useful. Use that rag instead of wearing it.” As the woman turned her back , not looking back twice Scélian poked out her tong at her back but whipped out the rug and starting drying off the brown and grey mugs while moving a bit closer to the fire as the door of the inn had opened, letting in a draft of cold night air.
Scélian
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Bréhon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:35 pm

It had been years. Or so it felt to the rider when he slowly dismounted his horse near the Lucky Fortune Inn. Before he turned his attention fully to his horse, his dark eyes glanced over the Inn, briefly but long enough to notice that not much had changed in his absence.

The main building and the stables lay in darkness, apart from the inside light shining through the windows and the sparsely hung candle lanterns throwing eerie shadows around the Inn’s perimeters, making it less likely to break your neck while moving around. The moon playing hide and seek behind clouds helped their cause a great deal as well.

Bréhon was relieved the Inn’s lights weren’t off yet. It was evidence of activity and since their hour to arrive was late, at least their chances to still find a place to rest were not yet destroyed before they had set foot inside.

Even though he was thirsty and beat, a rider’s horse held priority. The dark bay’s coat of fur was shiny with sweat while Bréhon, as was the rider’s name, was covered in dust. He patted his stallion’s neck and spoke soft words while he led the horse to the stable. Right before he entered he stopped and looked over his shoulder. Ignoring the woman who was already moving past him, he called out to his young companion.

“Heldred!”

The young rider, who still was gazing at the Inn, startled and turned a wide eyed look at him. “Yes, Captain?”

Bréhon grumbled something unclear under his breath. The youth kept calling him Captain even though they were not on official business. Truth was, he had not been riding under the official banner of his homeland since a while.

His mission of now was a private one. A folly one too, perhaps. One does not easily find those who wish to stay hidden. In any case, private did not mean it had been a lonely journey. Of this, Heldred was responsible.

“Hurry up, lad. I’m not getting any younger here.”

“Obviously not,” he heard Heldred mutter while he reined his own horse, a dapple grey, closer. “Sorry,” Heldred whispered next, his eyes cast to the ground, when he passed by Bréhon.

“We’re all tired, lad,” Bréhon said, following him in. “A good stew and brew will work miracles.”

“If they still serve us, and have still rooms available. I’d really like to sleep in a bed for once.”

Bréhon sighed. He knew Heldred was tired, more than tired even, and that the longing for adventure that once had driven the boy to follow into Bréhon’s footsteps – literally – had since long deserted him. “We’ll find out soon enough,” Bréhon said. He ruffled Heldred’s blond mop and then they both set to unsaddling their horses.

“Shall I go inside and make sure they keep open a little longer?” The woman had helped her horse to food and water and now was rubbing its coat dry. Her brown hair was tussled and her grey eyes, despite showing the signs of tiredness they all bore, were still alert.

“Yes. Sure.” Bréhon held out his hand. “I’ll finish that for you.”

She nodded in thanks, and handed him the cloth before she picked up her few belongings: a rucksack, a rolled up cloak and a quiver and bow. She glanced up at the rafters while she walked and turned out of sight once she was outside.

Heldred and Bréhon finished soon after, quick and handy as they were in the business of caretaking when it came to horses. Both carrying their packs and weapons, they headed for the Inn’s door.

Many moons had passed since Bréhon had seen a little fortune. Maybe a visit to the Inn with its promising name could bring a change to that.

“You ready to step into a place laden with history?” Bréhon asked Heldred jokingly right before he pushed the door open. The boy looked unsure now, but still he nodded. “Alright, let’s go then.”

They quickly moved inside and closed the door behind them, shutting out the cold.

Bréhon looked around, warily at first. It had been so long and there were memories attached to this Inn he was not sure of if he was ready to face them.

His eyes quickly found Kaya, who stood near the fire, warming her hands while talking to a woman with thick curls, wearing an apron. The woman, Bréhon guessed she was a servant to the place, shook her head with an uncertain expression, then pointed towards another woman who emerged from a back room at that moment.

Bréhon nudged Heldred in front of him. They moved over to the women who, during the past weeks, had guided them through Eriador. He leaned in close to Kaya and asked in a hushed tone, “So, is it back to the stables for us, or are there still rooms to spare and food to share?” Raising his brows in question, he meanwhile glanced around at the other visitors to the Inn, and the ones who seemed to run the place.
Last edited by Bréhon on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bréhon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Scélian » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Whilst wiping the mugs the maid had given her Scélian felt a chill run down her spine as the door of the inn opened. A woman, a ranger dressed in a dust covered cloak made a beeline for the counter, and for her. ‘They think I work here.’ That thought suddenly dawned on her. Scélian had stopped wiping the mugs and watched the ranger come near.

“Good evening. I wanted to ask if you still have some rooms available and something warm to eat? “

Scélian looked round to see if Heather was anywhere around. She wasn’t, or at least she couldn’t find her. Maybe another made knew. As she tried to pick her brain for the name of one of the sullen looking girls that she had seen mopping the floor and plucking the chickens for the stew earlier this would be so much easier. She hadn’t expected to need any of them tonight. “I... I will ask. I am not the right person to make such reservations.” Suddenly she caught sight of another apron coming out of the pantry. A young freckled girl with two loose braids carrying a large sack of wheat. “Ah there’s the person you need to talk to. Margeret...oh Margaret!”

”The name’s Ellie –“

She ignored the scowl and gave her a charming smile in return “Ellie, of course. Just slipped my mind. Be a doll and see to this lady. “

“But I have dough waiting in the kitchen..Heather surely...”

“Ah yes, of course but Heather is as you are obviously aware not available at the moment. She surely wouldn’t object to you taking responsibility and make sure the lady gets what she asks for.”

For a second time the door opened and a tall, evenly dusty looking rider strode in, followed by something less of a tall rider, more a helper boy and joined the ranger near the fire. “So, is it back to the stables for us, or are there still rooms to spare and food to share?” Alright, he was rather dusty and muddy but with a thorough rinsing he’d be as good as new and not looking all too shabby. The young one looked more like a peasant’s son if not for the small rider insignia on his cloak. A wash would not be all he needed. Scélian let out a small chuckle. “I wouldn’t advise it. If they catch you they’ll make you work for it.”

Ellie threw her a disapproving look “Of course we don’t let our guests work.”

“That’s what you say.” Scélian muttered under her breath. “While the lovely Ellie sees to your accommodation milady and gentlemen, please have a seat. Anywhere you like. I will see to something hardy to warm you right up.” And she threw a wink at the exhausted looking boy before she turned , remembering her way to the kitchen and leaving her mug wiping task behind, the rag thrown over her shoulder once again.
Scélian
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Bréhon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:39 am

Hearing those words of rescue, Heldred looked around the Inn with curiosity for the first time. The people, few in numbers as they were, didn’t look like a threat, and the Inn itself looked pleasant enough.

Bréhon laid a hand on his shoulder. “Everything alright?”

Heldred nodded. “Sure. Where shall we sit?”

“Just pick a free boot and sit down, before you crash to the floor.” Turning Heldred around by the shoulder Bréhon nudged him towards a couple of boots that were available. Heldred shuffled to the closest one and sank onto one of the benches. He slid towards the wall when Bréhon indicated he’d sit next to him. Kaya, who had followed them, took a seat across of them.

Bréhon and Heldred sat in silence - Heldred with his head down and his hands on his lap, and the older rider quietly looking around. Kaya was digging in her rucksack and took out a pouch from which she retrieved various herbs she had picked underway. She held them up between her fingers and sniffed at them while eyeing them like they were precious stones.

It had been sheer luck they had walked into her, over a month ago now, when they had found themselves lost in the Hills of Evendim. She had agreed to guide them back towards civilization, weary of their appearance at first – he agreed Heldred and he might pass for fugitives on first glance – but still she had brought them safely past Lake Nenuial, across the River Brandywine, past the Hills of Scary until they met the river again and entered Buckland briefly before they continued to Bree, where they finally parted.

Bréhon and Heldred had stayed at the Prancing Pony for only one night, and after restocking in the morning were all set to continue their journey. They had taken the Great East Road but had hardly left Bree-land behind them when they had encountered with their affable guide once again. She was standing still, her eyes on the sky ahead, her horse grazing close by.

“Leaving already?” she had asked.

“The journey is still long,” Bréhon had answered.

“What is your destination?”

“Home, eventually." The words had sounded meaningless even to his own ears. "But for now we’re heading towards the Misty Mountains.”

“I could accompany you,” she had offered, and it had taken him by surprise.

“That’s very kind of you, Miss, but there is a road leading there and despite how it might have looked like when we first met, we don’t have the habit of getting lost.” He had ended with a chuckle but then had caught sight of Heldred’s gloomy stare.

Bréhon was convinced that, would he have told they’d be heading home instead, the boy would have been ecstatic. But Bréhon wasn’t ready to return to Rohan, not yet. Not until there wasn’t a stone in Middle-earth left unturned. Bréhon also had understood during the previous days that the young rider adored the company of the ranger, who was easy on the eye and on most days likely more enjoyable company than Bréhon was. Bréhon had not made any progress after such a long time on the road, which was not what he had expected when he had set off many moons ago, and had to admit he could be grumpy at times over this. And Heldred, he was only a child. A child of 15 that in their society was seen as a boy capable of defending his country, but from Bréhon’s experiences with him a child nonetheless. It was something he would never tell Heldred though, and he made sure not to show him either. The boy would have been too offended and pouty for days on end. No one would benefit from that.
Truth was, at times Heldred reminded him of his younger self. So Bréhon made a split second decision.

“On the other hand, if the lady wouldn’t mind keeping us company for a little longer, who are we to refuse such a gallant offer?” Heldred’s spirits had noticeably risen, hearing those words.

They hadn’t continued their journey right away, though. They had to wait for Kaya’s kestrel to return, first. Meanwhile she had picked some berries and herbs, and Bréhon had stalked around nervously, not happy with this delay so close to a road.

But they had set off eventually and now, days later, they were sitting here, in the Lucky Fortune Inn. Mead had been brought to them, and he could smell the cooking taking place in the kitchen from where they were sitting.
He glanced aside, to Heldred, who was all but nodding. He wondered if maybe it had been enough.
There always came a time when one had to face his own limits, and when one had tried everything without result, he might better draw his conclusions. Maybe this was such a time.
Who was to say that he was still alive, even? It was madness to continue like this.

“What would you say,” he started quietly, drawing both Kaya and Heldred’s attention even though he looked at the boy in particular, “if we headed home?”

At that point, plates with steamy food were placed before their noses. Bréhon smiled in appreciation at the woman who served them, by this missing the look of panic on Heldred’s face. By the time he looked back at Heldred, the boy had composed himself again, and was focussed solely on his food.

Bréhon glanced at Kaya who, with a slight frown marring her brow, took up her cutlery. He mumbled an “enjoy” and dug into his food as well.

After two bites the ordeals of the past days were already pushed to the background. Meanwhile, the idea that their homelands would become their next destination became more than just a few words uttered in tiredness. And for the first time, it didn’t feel like he’d have given up easily, should they head out southwards tomorrow morning.
Bréhon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Rhowaín » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 am

Rhowain’s sleep was deep and dreamless. Exhaustion filled every limb which were slowly going cold by the hard ground and the occasional rock bedded in his back. But at least here the ground was dry. Which was a first since weeks. It had been a tiring search through the woods to find a place where it was dry to set up camp and light a fire for the night without attracting any predators. The chosen spot was dry but the soil riddled with hard pointy rocks partly sticking out of the ground. It hardly made a comfortable bed but that wasn’t the point. Not the point at all.

Suddenly his sleep was disturbed by something sharp hitting him on the cheek. With one swift motion Rhowain pulled his knife and sat up, ready to strike at once. Instead he got hit again by the same sharp object, on his elbow this time. Bewildered and his eyes full of sleep he looked sideways to find a grinning Helthan looking back at him from across the fire as he continued to throw little sharp pebbles at Rhowain.

“Morning sunshine.”

“Watch where you’re throwing these rocks will you!”

“ That’s the whole point. I tried calling you three times but you were far away my friend. Had to result to more drastic measures. Was either the rocks or the horse droppings.”

“Glad you choice the rocks then.” Rhowain mumbled. It was bad enough he smelled of horse, wood and damp soil for three days now and the thought of adding manure to that fragrance was far from appealing. “Why did you wake me?”

“Your shift. You’ve been sleeping like a baby for a good 4 hours now. My turn. If I can ever block out mister Bigmouth over here.” Helthan stiffly got to his feet and drew his blanket a bit tighter around himself. In the process he prodded a loud snoring Halmund in the ribs who did not seem to notice. “Incredible how that man sleeps anywhere.”

Rhowain, reluctant to let go of the fuzzy state his brain was in rubbed his eyes. “4 hours? Felt closer to 4 seconds if you ask me. ”Slowly he scrambled to his feet so Helthan could take his place. “I feel for his wife.”Rhowain chuckled as he passed Halmund who was blissfully unaware of the switch. Helthan let out a short laugh “His wife? His whole village! I was afraid he’d wake whatever is out there in those woods and would lead them straight here.” Have a good watch whelp.”

With a long branch Rhowain was prodding the fire back to life, “Have a good sleep.” Watch usually was his favourite task. The silence and enough time to think without one of the older riders there to make fun of him. He often was the subject of their pranks as he was the whelp. The youngest. One hand held the prodding branch, the other loosely rested on his blade. The woods were restless lately. A howl rose from the shadow of the woods even drowning Halmud’s snoring. Too restless.

In an instant Rhowain had risen to his feet, the prodding branch tossed aside. His hand fingered the hilt of his blade, the cool steel felt reassuring but the sound had made the hairs rise on his arms. Sleep no longer clouded his mind. The sleep had made way for a state of alertness as he stared at the dark woods before him. That evening the three of them had made camp at the boarder of the woods. After a long day’s ride in pursuit of the target of their miniature quest. The leads they had gotten earlier in the week had disappeared , either by bad weather or by sheer cunningness of the two men they were set out to follow.

Another howl echoed between the tall trees. “Wolves?” Helthan said softly , eyes scanning the woodland boarders as he got up from the ground unsheathing his sword. Rhowain shook his head. “That’s no wolf. Unless it’s an incredible big one.” Halmund had woken up and walked a few steps towards the trees where the sound had come from. Branches snapped and a trotting sound like a low rumble was coming from the trees. The rumble was speeding up. Something was approaching them and was doing so fast. Halmund let out a yell from surprise as he spotting the first beast coming from the low vegetation. “Wargs! Impossible!”
It jumped for Halmund, mouth open, teeth gleaming with saliva, an impatient howl escaping its throat. But the rider did not stand helpless. He drove his sword forward and entered the tough hide of the foul beast’s shoulder. It yelped and jumped sideways, just as three others reached the clearing. “I thought they had all been pushed back during patrols earlier this year.” Rhowain breathed. “Guess they came back.” Helthan mumbled. A great black warg had begon to break away from the two others and tried approach Rhowain from the side who had been busy enough keeping an eye on those great teeth of the other two. “Whelp cover your left!” Halmund yelled who had just swung his sword of his warg again but missed. The warg saw his chance and leaped forward but the older rider had seen enough warg antics to be prepared. “Think you can outsmart me outgrown hound!”He roared as he swung his sword down on the warg’s neck, exposing its main artery to the cold air. The blood looked black in the moonlight as it covered its coarse pelt.

Rhowain however almost did get outsmarted by the black beast. It had run forward driving the young rider backwards with brutal force. His boot caught on one of the stones in the clearing and he fell back, the beast pinning him down with incredible force. Rhowain wrestled with all his might to get his knife out that hung strapped to his side. With beady eyes the Warg looked down on him, black tongue licking its muzzle, already anticipating the meal to come. Finally his fingers got a good enough grip on the hilt and Rhowain struck the beast in its right paw. With a howl it pulled its leg up. Rhowain tried to strike him again , this time in its side. But the Warg caught his arm before the blade could fully reach him and bit down. A cry was forced out of the rider as the razor sharp teeth went through his skin and muscles. He tried to manoeuvre his blade again but the Warg began to lock its jaws around arm. Another painful cry escaped his lips.

“Rhowain! Hang on!” Helthan screamed as he tried to finish one of the remaining two Wargs . His eyes darted back and forth between the brown spotted beast in front of him and his wounded friend. Not the best strategy getting distracted.

Halmund got hold of the horses after he had slain his Warg. “Get on the horse” he roared at Helthan “we must get out of here. Who knows how many more there are hidden in these woods. We cannot win this with just three of us. Helthan nodded silently and began to walk backwards towards his horse. Halmund lowered the reigns and got two throwing knives out of his pack and aimed them carefully at the black Warg’s back. Both knives hit home, just a bit left of the spine but close enough to make the Warg rear on its two hind legs. Rhowain only needed one chance and scrambled away from the Warg holding his arm close to his chest. A searing pain began to spread through his lower arm. “Can you ride?” Helthan asked as Rhowain ran towards them. “We’ll find out. Pull me up.” He panted. With one hand he reigned in his mount and all three horses jumped forwards galloping at full speed, leaving behind the clearing and the three Wargs. The Wargs did not seem to pursue. But neither of men were willing to find out. Rhowain wasn’t sure how much time has past since their hasty departure but it felt like hours. Their horses had slowed down to a trot. The pain in his arm had dulled to a warm throbbing pain and lay useless in his lap. He stared down at the hole in his sleeve and the dark colouring of his blood around it. He felt foolish for not keeping his guard up well enough. “Don’t worry about it lad. Could have happened to any of us.”Helthan mused quietly beside him as he moved his horse alongside his. Rhowain nodded, not willing to answer.

“Boys I think we may be in luck after all.” Halmund pointed at a shadow not far from the road. A building with soft light shining through its windows and smoke coming from the stone chimney. “Let’s get inside, have a few ales, something warm and see to that arm of yours.” The three men stirred their horses off the road and towards the inn.
Rhowaín
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 am

"LADY HEATHER!"

The half elven healer was up to her elbows in dough that she was trying to kneed into submission for tomorrow's bread when one of the new serving girls shrieked for her from the front room.

Imagining any number of scenarios, from a spider, to marauders or even worse, She rushed into the tap room, covered in flour, her hair wild, and ready for anything.

Three men stood in the doorway, one obviously injured. All the patrons were assessing the danger to themselves from the new comers, while all the silly maids stood and stared.

Heather frowned. There were going to be a few less maids when this was over and done with. In the meanwhile...

"Dori, Beryl?"

Two little girls appeared from the side-room where they'd been studying. "Yes, Momma?" the smallest one asked, then she saw the injured man. "I'll get your medicine bag!"

"I'll get you a clean apron and ready the sick room!" the older said, and both were gone.

Heather sighed and wished to herself that the new maids (that someone other than her had insisted on hiring) had half the sense that her daughter and the other children in her charge did.

Two little boys poked their heads out of the room now, the oldest asking if he could help.

"Thank you, Borimod. Could you and Lunt show theses gentlemen to the sick room, while I try to get cleaned up?" Then turning on the maids, she snapped. "Alright, you girls need to stop gawking and start working, or I'll have fewer of you to bother me very shortly!"

Two scampered off to the kitchen and the one behind the bar started wiping already clean glasses to look busy as the healer stalked off to her room to clean up and re-tame her long hair out of the way before seeing to the man's injuries.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

**** The Lucky Fortune Inn sat boarded up and seemingly abandoned for many many months while its founder and proprietor travveled the land pursuing his other occupations, Bard by trade, Warrior by chance.

Long undisturbed dust clung to the sheets that covered the furneture. Cobwebs hung in every corner and no light peeked through the shuttered windows. A tiny spot of colored light appeared in the lined and cushioned niche in the wall behind and above the bar. The little alcove was soon glowing with sparkling light and the sound of lightly strummed harp strings reverberated in the long unbroken silence inside the Inn.****
erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Tariel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 am

...Many strangers had wandered past, hoping, wishing for it to reopen. Each time, the sight of it's once bright windows, now enshrouded in cobwebs, dirty and musty, brought sighs to weary travellers who remembered it as a safe haven to stay, or had it recommended to them as a place to recuperate in cheer. Old regulars still passed time and again, thinking perhaps it had reopened in their absence. Each time, hopeful faces would fall, and the saddest of thoughts would be directed at the absent owner, thinking that maybe, Eru willing, s/he too would think of it, and return...

Then!

The Inn reopened. But the news had not yet spread through the lands. It would soon be receiving it's first visitor, this one not a re visitor, but one who had come to the inn having heard tales of it's justly earned fame, one who had first to think of what alias s/he would go under. Things were looking up for the Inn again.

S/he wondered if she had done a sufficient job of re-advertising the Inn, for s/he knew that her name carried but little weight in the community as of yet. And quietly she vowed to change that little fact.
Tariel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby celebalqua » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Cel approached the inn cautiously. It had been many years since he had last passed this way and it was with some dismay he found the Inn boarded up and deserted. Peering through the a crack in the shutters, all seemed dark and forlorn, with a shrug he turned to go

‘Suppose I will have to find an ale elsewhere’ he muttered to himself.

As he took a step away from the window a chord, from a harp drifted to his ear. With a rye smile he spun back a round.

‘Very well, if you need get something done, best do it yourself’

Cel retreated from the front porch and headed to the stables at the back. He knew Hue had once left the old key to the cellar behind the straps and gear in the back of the stables. By chance it would still be there.

‘Success’ Cel exclaimed as his fingers finally made out the shape of the old key. He was at full stretch, armed plunged among rusted bridles, and mildewy leather, he sneezed as he disturbed another cloud of dust, but he held firm to his prize, the cellar door spare key.

‘May Ilúvatar watch over you Hue, you are truly blessed to those with a thirst’.

Cel headed out of the stables and made his way to the back of the Inn, the silence of the kitchens saddened Cel, he had many times appreciated the hot stew and warm bread that Heather prepared in that cramped space. Beyond the back entrance to the kitchens were the cellar doors, firmly bolted and locked. Cel drew out the key and inserted it into the lock. Though starting to rust, the decay had not progressed so far that the key did not turn after some effort. A satisfying click and Cel through the doors open wide.

The cellar did not look at all neglected; in fact it seemed heartily stocked with several dozen barrels of fine ale and several more of varied spirits. Cel lowered himself down into the space.

‘So not a permanent situation then, more like tiding things over until the custom improves’. Cel used his flint to light the lantern next to the door and carefully closed the doors behind him. He moved swiftly through the main part of the cellar and quickly found the stairs that led back to the kitchen. To his relief the door into the kitchen was not bolted from above. Entering the kitchen he noted how all the utensils and pots had been carefully stored, checking the pantry, he was again relieved to see that the stores here were also well stocked.

Cel unbolted the kitchens back door and returned to the cellar doors, bolting and locking them firmly.

‘Last thing I need is thieves getting into all this, Hue would have my skin’

Next Cel went cack to the stable and returned the key to its hiding spot. That done he went back, straight through the kitchen and into the main bar. Agarak hung silently above, a rainbow shimmer dancing across its spine. Cel moved along the bar and into the main room. He whipped sheets and dust covers from tables and bundled them roughly into a pile in the corner. Next he turned the shuttered windows, swinging them wide to let the last rays of the day’s sun into the room. A low and mellow chord chimed from Agarak

‘I agree friend, the light is good, but we are in dear need of fire and some fresh meat for the pot’

Cel busied himself and soon had a decent fire going in the hearth. He turned and looked back at the room, it was good place, this inn, many friendships had been forged here and many stories retold.

‘Lets hope that some of those friends return, hey Agarak’ Cel said stepping up to open the front doors, he stepped out onto the front porch and surveyed his surroundings. A grey mare lifted her head toward Cel and with a short snort expressed her displeasure at being abandoned.

‘There, there dear Gwaew, I did not desert you’ Cel moved to the mare and gently ran a hand through her main, ‘there is dry straw and a bag of wheat in the stable, lets get you sorted as I am still in need of a drink!’

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 am

High up in the rafters of the Inn, in the darkest corner hovering closest to the hearth, the long worn cloak of silence was softly broken by the subtle hum of buzzing wings coming from the large hive snuggled beneath the roofboards.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Heather had the children in one corner doing their studies during a quiet moment. Shortly, the girls would be helping her in the kitchen, getting ready for the dinner crowd, while the boys helped Willum in the stables.

As she glanced around the table, watching their young faces intent upon their reading assignments, she was struck at the sudden influx of children. She who could have none of her own, was being blessed to take care of four. She smiled and leaned back in her chair a bit. All was well in the world. Or was it?

A droning buzz caught her attention and her eyes drifted upward, to the long dormant, enchanted ceiling. The ships' sails fluttered as usual, but were they billowing and had the ships moved? The buzz was coming from the hive of the Ju-Ju Bees. In fact, she thought she could see a few of the colorful candy bees flying around outside of their hive. This could only mean one thing.

She sat up straight and turned to stare at the door of the inn, her eyes sparkling. Her day was about to get better!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Cel sat quietly in the corner. It was good to see the Inn back to life. Heather had been quick to get things back to normal and it had only taken a month before the Inn was once again the common haunt for locals and visitors. Cel too had noticed the buzz from the ceiling and like Heather turned to the door.......

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Aislinn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Aislinn remembered being draped in shadow the last time she strode into this well-patroned and thoroughly buzzing Inn. It was a time long since gone, but from time to time she wandered from the wood just to see if the window boards had been removed or the candlelight glow was returned. Or, if laughter and song could be heard again among the illustrious echo of silence for miles around.

Once bustling and packed full of the most amazing voices she had ever heard in her lifetime, it had fallen onto hard times through no fault of the proprietor, of course. It was just that times had changed so much since the heyday of a lively haven.

It was with great pride that she strode though the doors today. No longer fearful of what she might find on the other side to greet her. Today was a new day.

Her thoughts returned to that long ago day when there was a purpose here...

Today, Aislinn strode in with a new found confidence, she had a few questions that needed to be answered, and they were important.

What had happened here? When once flora and fauna were so very fruitful in this amazing place... when so many had flocked to these doors? Strangers seeking family...to belong and to sing for what they loved most of all...for this world! The very reason this place was created into existence.

Why had it been so silent?

These were the giants!! They inspired awe amongst previous visitors and guests.
Aislinn knew that she would need to be on her guard for there were dark forces alive in the Wood...But she really wanted to understand the puzzle of the Lucky Fortune Inn for it had evaded her for many years. What would she find today? A welcome...or perhaps another heartbreak...

"Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills...into shadow. How did it come to this?" - Théoden

((((OOC)))) Ruh-Roh, could be trouble :wink:
Aislinn
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!