The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

Postby erinhue » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:40 pm

"Well I for one am right happy ya came by Camden son of Keldír and right welcome you are. I'm Erinhue, you can call me 'Hue if you've a mind just be sure to do it before last call"

With a warm chuckle, Erinhue reached over the bar to shake the man's hand. "Tell me just want is it that smells so good back in the kitchens? What did ya bring in that huge heavy pack you dropped back there?
erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Faith_Hawking » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:11 am

When Faith returned to the Inn she opted to run through the kitchen and scoot up the back stairs to her room. The long morning ride over hill and dale settled a layer of road dust upon her and being a fastidious maiden, wished to present herself in fine order when she joined the others in the common room. From the sounds rising through the floor boards, she was sure some guests had arrived, and hope her friend was among them. Bathed and dressed in an apron covered skirt of forest green, snowy white but plain shift and laced leather bodice, Faith made haste. She ran a brush through her long chestnut locks, tied it back then took a critical look at herself in the mirror, and grabbed up the bundle of Longbottom leaf.

Perfect! Who’d suspect.

With a ready smile she tripped down the staircase, through the hall and into the common room, pausing at the bar only long enough to set the bundle where it was sure to get Hue’s attention, blow a kiss at the handsome young dwarf Borin and grab up a tray. Aerin clucked her tongue at Hue and mumbled about men lacking a sense of order, but it was plain to see the playfulness of her scolding. Faith had not of yet made the acquaintance of the one Hue called Cam, but she was not about to interrupt their conversation. There’d be time for introductions later.

The delicious aromas wharfing from the kitchen meant Heather was busy at work and Faith hoped her favorites, buttery turnips and fresh strawberries would be on the menu. As she turned toward the common room she couldn’t help but take note of the Elf leaning against the door frame with tankard in hand. He was an impressive figure, more muscled than most elves of her acquaintance, a warrior to be sure, if she guessed correctly. When he glanced her way, Faith averted her eyes not wishing to appear rude in her curiosity and moved toward the nearest occupied table.

Mell was busy with one of the new patrons, a pretty young hobbit. In passing Faith heard her name, Penelope, which brought to mind the petunias which grew along the paddock. She smiled at the hobbit and gave a nod to Mell then made the rounds of the tables. Warm welcomes she gave to each patron in turn and checked to make sure none were in need. With all the delicious smells coming from the kitchen, she couldn’t help but wonder why the solitary figure seated in the shadowy corner opted to nibble a trail food such as lembas. Mind your business, to each their own preference, she thought, but paused long enough to lay one of the new menus upon the woman’s table in hopes of piquing her interest in something tastier.

When she came to the table where Aislinn sat Faith quickly saw the implements of a Bard lying atop the open bag by her chair. The woman looked familiar, but she couldn’t be sure, so rather than make a blunder, Faith approached with a question.

“I see you have parchment and quill, are you by chance a bard or poetess?
Faith_Hawking
Shield Bearer

Postby Aislinn » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:05 am

Aislinn thanked the handsome barkeep for the wine and started to skitter off for a table when a friendly half-elf approached.

"May I fetch you something from the kitchen to go with your wine?"

“No Milady. I thank you but this will suit perfectly fine. It’s delicious.” She smiled warmly and started to turn when a new voice sounded from below.

"Welcome my lady may I introduce myself, I'm Borin Silversmith as you can tell I'm a dwarf, I'd be glad to help in anyway needed. All you need is to ask"

“Pleased to meet you Master dwarf. I’m simply Aislinn. I have no after name that I know of and I’ll keep that in mind if I’m in need of protection good sir. I’m just seeking respite, so a corner table out of the way would be just fine."

Borin Silversmith graciously offered her a burly arm and led her to the perfect table. She only needed to bend over a little to walk comfortably beside him. Aislinn was not a tall woman in fact she was somewhat petite for a human. She settled herself comfortably in the chair that Borin had offered to her and thanked him. The dwarf bowed and went about his way.

Aislinn rummaged through her sack for her writing implements and deposited them upon the table. She was deep in thought when a kindly voice rang out, “I see you have parchment and quill, are you by chance a bard or poetess?”

The woman was rather beautiful and she looked familiar but Aislinn couldn’t place her

With a soft, reflective smile Aislinn responded. “Perhaps long ago, in some other life. I’m only recently re-discovering myself.” A dreamy look overcame her as she asked, “Are you are bard Milady? I’m Aislinn by the way, and merry met to you.”

She extended her hand to the lady. It was warm to the touch and there was color flooding her cheeks.
Aislinn
Citizen of Imladris

Lorien Delight

Postby Doggins » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:07 pm

The silent half-elf was brought her lembas, which she acepted with a nod of apreciation. As she was nibbling the bread-like elvish food a serving girl paused by her table in the corner to lay down an interesting looking menu. She though about saying something but the serving girl hurried on as she glanced down at the menu.
Dragon Wing Soup
Hobbit Plate
Dwarf Dumplins
Gondorian Soup
Lorien Delight
Rivendale Pudding

The half-elfs dark green eyes lit up as she read the deserts. She had come from quite a long journey without sweets, and was not exactly un-hungery when it came to deserts. Especialy one so good as Lorien Delight. She motioned the serving girl back over and pointed out the desert. The girl nodded and smiled, "Of course Milady." She started to go then hesitated, "Would you be staying the night?" The elven lady nodded and the girl continued sheepishly, "Lorien Delight takes about 2 1/2 houres to cook, if you wanted I could show you your room and it could be ready for you by late-dinner. The elven lady's eyes looked a little disipointed for a moment, then nodded thankfully "That would be wonderful." The girl smiled and nodded, "If you'll follow me." She led her past the dinning room down a hallway and showed her an empty room then told her that her saddle bags would be brought in. Then left. The elven lady looked around her in saticfaction. The room was clean, the window gave her an excelent view of the road, and the bed was not hard. Which was an enormouse advantage over the past few week. She slipped out of her long dark cape and sank down. She though about what had happened over the past few week and sighed. She could have done worse. At least she knew she was on the right path. Within moments she has sunk into a deep sleep.
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Lorien Delight

Postby Doggins » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:08 pm

The silent half-elf was brought her lembas, which she acepted with a nod of apreciation. As she was nibbling the bread-like elvish food a serving girl paused by her table in the corner to lay down an interesting looking menu. She though about saying something but the serving girl hurried on as she glanced down at the menu.
Dragon Wing Soup
Hobbit Plate
Dwarf Dumplins
Gondorian Soup
Lorien Delight
Rivendale Pudding

The half-elfs dark green eyes lit up as she read the deserts. She had come from quite a long journey without sweets, and was not exactly un-hungery when it came to deserts. Especialy one so good as Lorien Delight. She motioned the serving girl back over and pointed out the desert. The girl nodded and smiled, "Of course Milady." She started to go then hesitated, "Would you be staying the night?" The elven lady nodded and the girl continued sheepishly, "Lorien Delight takes about 2 1/2 houres to cook, if you wanted I could show you your room and it could be ready for you by late-dinner. The elven lady's eyes looked a little disipointed for a moment, then nodded thankfully "That would be wonderful." The girl smiled and nodded, "If you'll follow me." She led her past the dinning room down a hallway and showed her an empty room then told her that her saddle bags would be brought in. Then left. The elven lady looked around her in saticfaction. The room was clean, the window gave her an excelent view of the road, and the bed was not hard. Which was an enormouse advantage over the past few week. She slipped out of her long dark cape and sank down. She though about what had happened over the past few week and sighed. She could have done worse. At least she knew she was on the right path. Within moments she has sunk into a deep sleep.
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Heather returned from putting Beryl to bed to see someone taking a large hamper into the kitchen. She hurried in after him.
"Thank you so much for bringing this in so quickly! I'm Heather." She offered her hand to shake.
He hesitantly clasped and shook it.
"Cam." He then turned and went out to the tap room.
Once she had restocked the larder and started some things cooking, she slipped out and whispered to Hue to give Cam a free drink for his trouble.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:32 pm

"Hue..Why don't you get some rest? I'll take over the bar for awhile.With this ledge I'll have no trouble serving. " Borin said as he walked behind the bar.

"That's an idea" Hue said as he went and sat down. Mell walked over and sat next to Hue . "what can I get you to eat." she said.

"Some hot stew would be good. with some fresh baked bread and butter" Hue said as Mell got up to go into the kitchen.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Lorien Delight

Postby Doggins » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:43 pm

Dragon Wing Soup
Hobbit Plate
Dwarf Dumplins
Gondorian Soup
Lorien Delight
Rivendale Pudding

The half-elfs dark green eyes lit up as she read the deserts. She had come from quite a long journey without sweets, and was not exactly un-hungery when it came to deserts. Especialy one so good as Lorien Delight. She motioned the serving girl back over and pointed out the desert. The girl nodded and smiled, "Of course Milady." She started to go then hesitated, "Would you be staying the night?" The elven lady nodded and the girl continued sheepishly, "Lorien Delight takes about 2 1/2 houres to cook, if you wanted I could show you your room and it could be ready for you by late-dinner. The elven lady's eyes looked a little disipointed for a moment, then nodded thankfully "That would be wonderful." The girl smiled and nodded, "If you'll follow me." She led her past the dinning room down a hallway and showed her an empty room then told her that her saddle bags would be brought in. Then left. The elven lady looked around her in saticfaction. The room was clean, the window gave her an excelent view of the road, and the bed was not hard. Which was an enormouse advantage over the past few week. She slipped out of her long dark cape and sank down. She though about what had happened over the past few week and sighed. She could have done worse. At least she knew she was on the right path. Within moments she has sunken into a deep sleep.
Doggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:19 pm

OOC: Doggins you might want to check your post and edit . You seem to have the same post up as yesterday. If you have any questions come over to the Lucky Fortune OOC..

Borin.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Adaminth_Blue » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:01 am

Hey People!
Prosit to all of you!!!
... waves with his beer-"krug"

Cheers
Adaminth_Blue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mellaurelom » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:44 pm

Mell came back out of the kitchen with fresh stew, bread, and sweet cream butter. Laying it out as Hue's table, she leaned over her Guildmaster and whispered to him, "I'm glaqd you're back, we've missed you." She gave him a kiss on the top of his head, then ruffled his hair as she turned to the common room. There, sitting at a table, was a new patron. A tankard was hoisted in a cheery salute and a voice cried out "Hey people, Prosit to all of you!" Mell smiled. Wandering over to the newcomer she placed a menu on the table. "Welcome to the Lucky Fortune. My name is Mell, and I don't believe we've met." She smiled, "tell me a bit about yourself."
Mellaurelom
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Cam drained the rest of his ale and signalled to Borin for another.
"Borin, I wouldn't mind a dash of something stronger in that if you've got something" he winked at the dwarf in the hope he would get his drift.

"Let me see what I can find" Borin replied as he disappeared below the counter.
"Ah this should do the trick" he said reappearing with a dusty bottle. The cork gave a cry as Borin twisted it and then sniffed the open bottle.
"Oh yes, this is definitely the stuff" he grinned broadly and gave a liberal splash to Cam's ale.

Cam gave him a salute as he tried his drink. A warmth spread through him from his throat to his stomach as he took his first gulp. Placing the tankard back on the bar, Cam looked up and gave a quiet belch.
"Just what I needed" he said "Many thanks good sir, but I might find myself a comfortable corner as I fear a few more swigs and I wont be able to walk at all". Passing Hue he gave a nod. "I am glad to see that the provisions are being well used", he commented looking at Hues steaming meal. "Might see if there is any left for an old codger like me". Cam laughed and headed for a booth near the fire.

The waitress Mell approached him with a menu.
"Something warming and hearty, the choice is yours. I do like the look of what your cook has done with the side of pork I delivered earlier." Cam said nodding toward Hues dinner.
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 pm

"Moma! Moma!"
Heather dashed from the kitchen and was calling to Mell over her shoulder, "Mell, Dear could you stir the soup to keep it from burning? I'll be right back!" She was halfway up the stairs before she could hear Mell's answer. No more than five minutes later, she returned, carrying a wide eyed little girl.
"Hungie."
"Alright, Beryl. Sit here like a big girl and Moma will bring you some bread." Heather sat her at a table and hurried into the kitchen. She returned a minute or two later with a cup of milk and a plate of kid friendly finger food. "Now you sit here and eat your supper, Baby. Moma's right over there in the kitchen."
Beryl looked at her mother with understanding green eyes framed by dark curls.
Heather turned and went back to work, thanking Mell many times over for the help.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Thanx, Mell

Postby Adaminth_Blue » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:51 am

Dear Lady Mell - I am very glad to meet you...

he looks at her and the light of her pretty elvish being is glaring at him... then he thinks to himself how warm and pleased he suddenly feels...

The light and grace of Luthien Tinuviel and Arwen Undomiel are reincarnated in your emergence!
Adaminth_Blue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Adaminth_Blue » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 am

walks to the bar, lolls there fluffily

Dear Master of the Inn, I'd like to pay for a round for the merry people here!!
Adaminth_Blue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:58 am

"Hello, sir my name is Borin Silversmith, may I ask yours?I shall be glad to take your money,for as many wish a drink. As you may have heard 'tis lucky to buy a bard a beer and there are a few of us here. May I ask what brings you to our fair Inn?"

Borin spoke as he waved Mell over."Mell would you be so kind as to check with the others our guest here would like to buy all a drink, Thank you,mistress."
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Adaminth_Blue » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:57 am

bows before Borin...

Dear Master Borin, I am Adaminth, and fortunately re-appeared in Middle-Earth after some years...
I must state that not many changes happened, but, unfortunately, some things disappeared. Originally I was comming from the lineage of Maias, but then Orks slained me some years ago. At that time I was in the charge as Curator of the Bibliothecary of Magic... But then.... anyway.

Now I see that I obtained a mortal body - I am something like a strider, but mainly living in Gondor.

Enjoy the drink, Borin! May I hear something about your histiry?
Adaminth_Blue
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:28 am

"Welcome Master Adaminth, To begin my name is Borin Silversmith, son of Oin . You may have heard of my cousin Gimli, he is quite well known. Growing up I loved to listen to the tales of travel and adventure so after I finished my apprentiseship and became a Master Craftsman in Metal, I decided to travel. I also wanted to investigate my true love of being a bard. I met up with Master Hue over there at the table and as the saying goes the rest is history." Borin said.

"So tell me of your travels" Borin said as he poured drinks for several of the patrons." Would you care for something to eat while you tell your adventures? "
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby bellmaker4 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:29 pm

Okay, Riders, I'm here. A little help?
bellmaker4
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:34 pm

OOC--- Bell sorry I had to fix supper for my grandgirls and get them settled before I could get back in...If you're still around got to the OOC site in this same area

Borin
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby bellmaker4 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:52 pm

What does OOC mean, anyway?
bellmaker4
Ranger of the North

Postby Spirit_of_the_Willow » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:03 pm

OOC means Out of Contex, or Out of Character Bell, there is another thread in this forum which we are using for Out of Character talk. :) In here what you do is create a character, and write yourself in here as though you are writing a story. Then other characters interact with yours. If you have more questions about role play, ask them here. Don't feel bad for not knowing that. The best way to learn is to ask :)
Spirit_of_the_Willow
Ranger of the North

Postby bellmaker4 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:11 pm

Oh, okay. I'm sort of already doing that with the Riders of Rohan, though.
bellmaker4
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Bell this site is designed to help you get used to interacting with other characters it's alot different than just writing a story

Borin
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

A hopeful job applicant

Postby Leofwine » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:25 pm

The door of the Lucky Fortune swung open and a tall youth stepped inside. Hesitating, he looked around, taking in the other occupants, guaging whether they were likely customers or employees. Deciding his best bet was to go straight to the bar, for certainly anyone standing behind it must work there, he strode over, noticing with wonder the fantastical dragon harp which glittered in its nook.

He stood there for a moment, nervously drumming his fingers on the well polished bar. Hoping his somewhat travelworn appearance was not too offputting, he cleared his throat and addressed the rather short individual who was pouring drinks and chatting with a few of the customers.

"Excuse me, sir. I understand your inn has just reopened and I'm wondering if you would have need of a stableman, or perhaps a handyman to keep it looking as good as it does tonight. I have quite a bit of experience with horses, although I've made my way here on foot." The boy looked rather woeful at this last confession. "My name is Leofwine. I don't eat much, well, I'd try not to. And I'm pretty handy with a hammer. I was hoping perhaps I could work here for a bit in exchange for room and board."

Leofwine ran his hand through his tangled hair and waited politely for an answer.
Leofwine
Shield Bearer

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:46 pm

"Welcome, Welcome come right in.Well Leofwine my name is Borin Silversmith and as you can tell I'm the resident Dwarf here. At least that's what I tell everyone. Would you care for a drink? or perhaps something to eat? "

"As for the job I suppose you'll have to stick around and get the final word from Master erinhue he is the proprieter here. As far as I know we have no stable lad at this moment."Borin said noticing the lad's well traveled look.

"Mistress Mell, could we have something to eat for this lad here. He appears to be a mite hungry." Borin said to the lovely waitress at the other end of the bar. " Right away " came the reply as she headed for the kitchen.

Borin looked at the lad who, looked as if he was about to protest and said " Don't worry about it lad If you haven't the cash we'll work something out. Now how about a cup of cider?"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby Leofwine » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:35 am

Borin_Silversmith wrote:"Borin looked at the lad who, looked as if he was about to protest and said " Don't worry about it lad If you haven't the cash we'll work something out. Now how about a cup of cider?"

Leofwine was indeed about to tell the dwarf that he had not a coin in his pocket. The last few days had been lean ones and the lone rabbit he had managed to snare had not filled his belly for long. Things would have been quite different if he still had his bow, . . .and if Yffi hadn't been stolen . . . and if Alric hadn't gotten them all lost . . .

The dwarf was still regarding him with a friendly, expectant air, and Leofwine realized he was standing there, lost in thought, while the dwarf was awaiting some sort of response.

"Many thanks, Master Silversmith. I do have quite a thirst, and anything would suit me well. Cider would be wonderful." He stole at a glance at the retreating back of the waitress. He lowered his voice and confided, "I am very hungry, but I don't have any money. I'd be more than happy to work in excahnge for a meal, though."
Leofwine
Shield Bearer

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:56 am

" The name is Borin lad I'm not a mister to anyone.Don't worry about the food we'll work something out..besides we've all been there a time or two." said Borin.

Just then Mell brought the lad a plate with fresh bread, cheese, meat and fruit. Leofwine started to say something when Mell said" if you need anything else just call.my name is Mell" she said as she held out a hand to the young man.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby bellmaker4 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:02 pm

Celegal walked in, looking around the bar.

He smiled, then sat down next to Leofwine and ordered a glass of lemonade and a PB and J on rye.

An old hobbit , sitting to the other side, wrinkled his nose.

"What kind of devilish drink is that?"he asked the Rohirrim scout curiosly?

"It's called lemonade. It comes from lemons, which grow in Khand."

"Khand? Wot's a Khand?"

"It's a mysterious kingdom in the southeast of Middle-Earth."

"Huh."

(They sit there, Leofwine with his cider, Celegal with his lemonade, and the hobbit drinking a whiskey sour.)

"Now,"he said to the hobbit,"don't tell me you would rather have that vile drink than this tasty, exotic lemonade?"

"Well........"

"Lemonade all around!" Celegal shouted gleefully.

Borin protested."But sir, we haven't any more lemons!"

'Don't worry, my good lad. Send Miss Mell out to my horse. There she will find a basket of lemons. I travel undercover to Khand every year. I have a basket of lemons out there. And since lemons are scarce around here, perhaps I might be able to supply you for a while?"

And so, everyone in the bar had lemonade, courtesy of Celegal, adnd Borin had a new business deal.
bellmaker4
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:37 pm

"Hello Sir, I'm Borin Silversmith, and it is a pleasure to meet you .I appreciate your lemons , but if you had been here a bit earlier you would have heard me tell the lad here that I'm only the bartender, you'll have to wait until Master erinhue comes to make any business deals." Borin said.

"If you would be so kind it would be a pleasure to learn your name. The lad here is Leofwine , and the elderly chapat the end of the bar is Cam" Borin said as he extended his hand to shake Celegal's. "We would like to hear of your travels as it appears you have traveled far "
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!