The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 pm

"Mistress Vana , Mistress Aerin..." a voice spoke out startling Vana and Aerin till they turned and recognized the dwarf standing in the doorway of the kitchen. Both ladies smiled as he spoke on....

"Borin!!" Aerin called out as both ladies started for the dwarf.

"It has been so long since we have seen you friend!" Vana remarked as she move to hug the dusty sweaty figure.

"Of course you can use the room you have used in the past. I know that Erinhue will not be upset at all to have you back. Let me get you a hot bath set up for you." Aerin stated then dashed off to call her aide to get the tub to the room that the dwarf would be using.

"So Borin you have been gone a very long time, I am so very glad you found your way home. We are preparing for our spring celebration. Will you be able to stay and celebrate with us. I know that many would love to hear your tales of your adventures!"

Borin blushed then smiled. "I will see if I can stay that long but there are many who have better tales then I!"

"You are too humble sir!" Vana jested with her friend.

Suddenly a voice was heard in the tap room. An excited child seeing the decorations for the first time.

"Wow! Look-it, Momma! It's all green! And it glitters!"

Vana smiled and moved to see the wonder in the young ones eyes.

"Good morning Heather and Beryl!" Vana called up the stairs to them as they slowly descended the steps.

About that time Aerin called down to Borin that his bath was being prepared and soon would be ready. Borin cleared his throat and excused himself to go back to the tap room to finish his drink before heading up the stairs to his room.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Heather distracted Beryl with some breakfast so their dwarf friend could go to his bath. The healer then began helping the ladies of the inn wherever they needed her, while the raven curled four year old found her box of toys behind the bar and kept herself occupied. For the time being.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:44 pm

Thr bath was just what Borin needed.. feeling much more presentable after his bath he searched through his pack. Out came his pipe and tobacco, the small package he carried and his parchments, pen and ink. Descending the stairs he could hear the laughter from his young friend in the bar and the sound of her mother, Vana, and Aerin busy in the kitchen...

After thanking Aerin for arranging the bath and helping himself to an apple from the basket in the kitchen he headed into the bar area.... After greeting Heather, Borin walked over to where Beryl was palaying with her toys. "Hello my little Mistress, how are you today?"

Beryl looked at her mother who smiled and nodded her head. "Hello" she said shyly.

"Not remembering your old friend Bor'n are ye. Well, I guess it has been awhile it has since I bounced ye on my knee and sang ye songs" with that Borin sat in a chair at the table next to her and started to sing one of the nonsense songs he sang to her when he used to keep her occupied so her mother could get things done....

Suddenly a smile lit up the small face... " I know you " she said " You used to pick apples with us and make up songs and games for me." with that she threw her arms around the dwarf's neck and gave him a big hug..

The dwarf's eyes sparkled with laughter as he hugged her back.... setting her back on the floor he said" well Missy, have you been a good girl for your mother since I saw you last?"

Beryl held her hands behind her back and lowered her eyes..." aaaaa yes mostly I been good."

Boring smiled and handed her a small package ... "Well in that case this is for you"

Looking to her mother who was giving the dwarf a quizzical look she waited until her mother nodded before she opened the gift. Inside was a beautiful silver bracelet.... It was made to look like a vine that wrapped around the wrist twice and could be bent gently to make it larger as the girl's wrist grew..it had 2 small flowers each with a small Beryl stone as the center...
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Heather gasped when she recognised the stones.

Beryl glanced up from the bracelet she had been shaking on her wrist, watching the light play over the finely worked silver.
"What's wrong, Momma?"

Heather shook hear head and embraced the dwarf. "Thank you, my friend! This is quite a treasure!" she wispered in his ear before stepping back and kneeling infront of her four year old daughter. "Nothing is wrong, Dear One. It's just that this bracelet is more than pretty. It is very special."

Beryl looked at her quizically. "Why?"

"Do you see these gems in the flowers?"

"The green ones?"

"Yes, my dear. These gems are called Elf Stone, or..." the half elven healer had to pause a moment to maintain control of her emotions. "The common name for them is 'Beryl'."

The little girl's green eyes grew wide and her mouth formed a little 'O' of wonder. "Like my name..." she whispered.

There were tears in Heathers eyes. "Yes, like your name. And they are very rare, very valuable, very special. Like you."

"Should I put it in my treasure box and only wear it for special occasions, Momma?"

"I think that would be very wise, but perhaps you could wear it for today and put it away tonight."

Beryl nodded her head vigorously, her black curls bouncing. Then she turned and embraced Borin again with all her strength. "Thank you, Borin for making me something so pretty and so special! I will be verry careful with it!"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:36 am

"I know ye will young Miss" Borin said quickly before anyone could see his eyes misting.." now do your ol' uncle Bor'n a favor and let me talk with your mother here alone for a moment"

"Borin, you ..." was all Heather could get out before Borin held up his hand.

" I know ye think 'tis an extravagant gift to give the young Miss. I found the stones while mining with me young nephew. He were quite young for it but we dwarves start young. I spent the time telling him of my many adventures and he especially liked hearing of my times here at the Inn and the fun I had with that wee lass. He were taken in a cave-in but the last thing he asked me was to make that wee lass a bracelet and use the stones and some day maybe someone will tell her about the young dwarf who learned to love her through the stories of his uncle."

With tears in her eyes Heather gave him a big hug . Breaking the hug finally Borin acted like nothing happened and said " I think I'll be getting me a pint and settin' by the fire to write... bein' around ye all is makin' me inspired." with that Borin went to the bar where Heather poured him a mug of ale and he took it to the table by the fireplace.....

Lighting his pipe he leaned back in the chair. Listening very carefully he could hear Ararak playing an old dravian song lulling him to close his eyes and dream of places far away.
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Beryl's Birthday Bash (a sort-of Bards' gathering, year 5)

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Three days. It had been some time since anyone but Willum had tended to the up keep of the inn and Heather had three days to get it party ready.

In three days, her little girl would be five. If she didn't have so much to do, she probably would have sunk into a dusty chair to lament how quickly time seemed to be passing, but other, more pressing matters were at hand. Like sweeping all the cobwebs from the cieling.

With grim determination, she lifted her broom and began attacking them, while the hobbit lad, Willum started taking the boards off the windows to let fresh air and sunshine into the tap room.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:55 am

A birthday party for the young Miss. Heather was busy getting the Inn ready for the party as Borin left the Inn early that morning. Five years old ... a momentous occasion. No longer a toddler pulling his beard and riding piggy back. She was turning into a young lady.... helping her mother around the Inn. A special gift was Borin was off to find that bright crisp day...
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Once the cobwebs had been swept away, Heather went into the kitchen to set things right. Willum had done better here, than in the rest of the inn, but the larder was in dire need of though scrubbing and a restock. She made her list, started a simple soup and a loaf of herbed bread for supper, then stepped into the tap room.

Willum and Beryl had dusted everything and the hobbit lad was giving the floors a though scrubbing.

"Willum, I'll finish here if you and Beryl can take this list and a couple market baskets to the market for me?"

Both youngsters jumped at the opportunity to get out of doors. By the time they returned, Heather had finished scrubbing and mopping the floor.

The three of them restocked the larder, sat down in the kitchen to a light supper, than started wibing down the furniture and returning it to the taproom.

Heather was truely starting to feel that the old place would be party ready sooner than she'd hoped.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:26 am

Borin returned to the Inn just as Heather and the youngsters were finishing up. "Mistress Heather" he inquired," Would ye be having any of that delicious soup left over for a tired old Dwarf?"

"Why yes Master Dwarf" she replied with a smile on her face " I do believe there might be a drop or two left. If these two have not eaten it all." saying this Heather returned with a brimming full bowl of soup and some warm bread and butter for Borin along with a tankard of ale that she knew he was fond of.

"The Inn 'tis starting to look like it's old self. Mistress Heather." Borin said " Ye three be doing a fine job with the scrubbing. While I was out today I was reminded of a lovely day spent here at the Inn a few years back when I took a wee lass and several fine young ladies to the orchard and we spent a lovely day picking apples. I was inquiring at the market today and the apples are a ripening so I was wondering if there were a wee lass, along with her mother if you so desire, and a young lad who would like to join me in a bit of apple picking on the morrow?"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Heather laughed and winked at Borin.

"I think we can afford to spend a few hours frolicking tomorrow. But you must promise to help me decorate for Beryl's party afterwards."

The dwarf hartilly agreed and the friends soon made their way bed. Once breakfast was eaten and the leftovers put away, the four of them set out. The sun was shining and the breezes were crisp and cool. Their laughter echoed through the Autumn morning. They enjoyed a picknic lunch before returning to the inn.

Willum and Beryl lugged a very full bushel basket between them and Borin carried another himself, while Heather carried the picknic basket.

"Well, darling, what theme would you like this year?" Heather asked as the foursome worked to put their delicious treasure away.

The little girl pondered a minute. "Orange, brown and red, like the colors of the leaves."

"Hm... Alright, If Master Borin would be willing to take you out in the morning to get the most colorful branches you can find, perhaps there's some colorful crepe' paper in the storage closet."

"I'll look!" Willum offered. He soon returned with yellow, orange and read paper streamers.

Beryl laughed and clapped her hands together. "Thank you, Willum! How pretty!"

The four friends soon had the the streamers hung, ate supper and turned in early again.

The next morning, as soon as the breakfast dishes were washed and put away, Borin and Beryl went out in search of colorful branches while Willum and Heather started cooking. Heather made the cake while Willum baked a couple large chickens, made really cheezy scaloped potatos, and started peeling and corring apples for an apple tart.

Heather had put the cake in to bake, then the two of them started peeling carrots and stringing green beans.

When the cake came out, Heather left it to cool a while, then decorated it with a creamy icing base, then carefully drew fall leaves all over it with colored icing, and topped it with raisins and tiny pieces of chocolate.

The advenurers soon returned and once the colorful, leafy branches had been put around the tap room, Heather took Beryl to get dressed.

While the ladies were up stairs, Borin and Willum moved a table to one side for Beryl's presents, before running off to get themselves ready.

When the ladies returned, Heather was dressed in a simple but elegant dark blue gown, and Beryl started skipping about in a dark green dress, trimmed in light green and blue. A green silk scarf that had been gived to her by Facade was tied around her black curls, and glinting on her wrist was her last present from Borin; a beryl stone bracelet.

"I hope our friends won't forget."

"Me too, dear one."
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 am

Vana walked briskly as she neared the meadow that sits back behind the Lucky Fortune inn. She hoped that she would find some late blooming summer flowers to make an arrangement to present to Heather, the mother of the birthday girl, Beryl. A friend for many years now.

As she walked along the stream that flowed through the valley and down beside the meadow Vana spotted what she was looking for. There blooming in the late summer afternoon were buttercups and wild irises. So with a gentle hand she starts to pick a bouquet of irises in several colors, blues and purples as well as a salmon color and then surrounded them with several stems of buttercups.

"There! I like how that looks! I do hope that she likes these." She dusted off her skirt then stood and headed through the meadow stopping only briefly to listen to the waterfall as the late summer sun shone down upon her blond hair and face. It felt so good! The meadow smelled like fall was soon to arrive.

Vana checked the small gift in her pocket to make sure she had not dropped it on her task of gathering flowers. It was safely there. Vana smiled to herself.

Then she picked up the pace to arrive at the Inn without any further delays.

The trail to the back of the Inn was very evident when she got to the end of the meadow so she followed it right to the back door.

There she turned the bolt and slipped into the kitchen. The smell of the fresh baked cake was almost more then Vana could resist. She dared not get too close to it for fear she might just have to stick her finger in it just for the sake of doing it. But she resisted the urge and moved towards the door to the tap room.

Slowly she peered into the room through a crack in the door and she could hear voices in the tap room. Excited children's voices as well as a dwarves voice that she knew in an instant and Heather's as well. She could spy out a few of the colors from the decorations and then decided she could not hold back any further. She threw the door open and stepped into the room.

Her green gown beaded in the bodice like tiny stars shimmering in the light. A slender silver belt hung at her waist and the mid length sleeves slender and laced to fit her arms. The waist cinched and laced in the back. The gentle curved neckline simple but elegantly stitched with a leaf pattern along with the beading. Her hair pulled up loosely so that it was clipped in the back but hung in ringlets upon her shoulders yet kept back from her face. A smile spread on her face as she stepped in and watched the faces of the children as they suddenly recognized the first arrival for the party.

"Do I hear a party starting?" She stated.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 am

"Vana!" Heather moved to greet her old friend. "Oh what lovely flowers! I'll just put them in a vase. Beryl, look who's here!"

The litle girl looked up from trying to teach Borin a clapping game. "Mistress Vana!" She hurried to hug the bard that she had known heer whole life. Then she remembered her manners and stepped back. She performed an awkward curtsey and said in her most 'grown-up' voice, "Thank you for coming to my party."
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:50 am

Vana smiled and curtsied back. The gesture from the young girl definitely showing the manners her mother was instilling her with.

"Happy Birthday! I am pleased to be able to join you for your party Beryl!" Vana stated.

Beryl grabbed Vana's hand and started leading her into the room to the table where Borin sat.

"Come see who else is here for the party!" her excited little voice so infectious.

Borin stood and bowed low to Vana.

"Welcome Lady Vana it is good to see you once more!"

"Thank you and it is great to see you again as well Borin. It has been far too long since our paths have crossed." She smiled as she stepped up and hugged his broad form.

"Would you like sumthin to drink?" Beryl politely asked of Vana.

"What do you have dear? I would love something not too sweet."

"You bet mom has all kinds of stuff for us to drink today." She scurried off to get her mom to help her with a drink for Vana. Soon she was back with a half full glass of apple cider.

"Here you go. I didn't even spill a drop." She gloated proudly of herself and her accomplishment to get it to the table in the glass.

"Thank you dear Beryl! You are so grown up now and doing so very well as a hostess!"

"Thanks!" She said then rushed off to play again.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 am

"Lady Vana It is such a pleasure to see ye again." Borin said as he held out a chair for Lady Vana to sit. " I'd love to talk to ye but 'twill have ta wait as I be in the middle of a lesson at the moment" with that the dwarf went back to Beryl and Willum.

"Mistress Heather" Borin called" don't forget to let me know when ye need me help"
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 am

"Thanks, Borin!" Heather called from the kitchen. She came out with the flowers in a vase. "But there's really nothing to do till more folks come. Help yourselves to the food Willum and I already brought out!"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Wisteria1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Wiste steps into the Lucky Fortune, her cloak travel-stained and torn. She's been away too long...so long she couldn't remember the magic words to bring her to this place. After several frustrating attempts to find her way home, she finally changed her name (nominally) and started again.

As always, she stops in at the Lucky Fortune, the first place she found here so many years ago. She looks about and sees a familar face or two...and a whole lot she doesn't know. Unsure of her welcome, she slides into a corner booth and watches a while...
Wisteria1
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Vana comes out of the kitchen wiping her hands and flotsom and jetsom let her know there was a new arrival in the corner so she quickly picks up a menu and a glass of water and heads over to the table.

"Hello would you like to see a menu?" Vana smiled and the weary traveler raised her head and Vana's jaw about dropped.

"Hello Vana!" Wisteria almost whispered.

"Oh my! It's.... it's Wisteria?" Vana asked in total unbelief.

"Yes I have been traveling in distant lands for far too long!" She smiled at Vana.

Vana screamed almost as she turned and shouted to the rest of the folks at the Inn.

"Wisteria!!" Vana was almost beside herself. "Where have you been. Oh hon you have been gone way too long!!"

Wisteria stood to accept the hug that Vana gave to her. Almost dancing with the Moonlight dancer as they hugged like long lost friends.

Sudden commotion from the kitchen meant that others were stirring to check out Vana's excitement in the Taproom.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Wisteria1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Wiste couldn't stop grinning. Vana's welcome erased all doubts that she would have been forgotten. Life had taken her down many roads that went on and on, as the old song went...but how could she ever have doubted they would all lead her back to her beginnings?

"Oh, Vana...it's so good to be home! You'll have to catch me up on so much. I saw the Weaver's Guild house is shuttered and padlocked...oh, so many changes!" Wiste looked around the pub and realized it gave the lie to her words.

"All right...so some things never change -- and for that, I'm so incredibly grateful."

Unable to bear the emotion of coming home, Wiste sank back into her seat, her eyes tearing up at the wonderful memories that warmed and welcomed her.
Wisteria1
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Oh sweetie so much is still the same as well. Old friends are always welcome and a wandering one come home is always a reason for celebration!! :clap: :hug: :drink:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Matrim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 am

A tall Easterling walks into the Inn, his cloak wrapped around him. He smiles, looking over the Inn, it all seeming famailar to him though he had not been here in years.

He leaned his spear against the wall near the door, and took a seat at the bar, throwing his hood back and letting the cloak fall down along his back.

"I hope it's still good luck to buy a bard a drink! This one is parched and hasn't been here for a very long time. I heard there might be need for the old bouncer to come back."
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby sandra » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 pm

The Elven warrior woman dismounted and tied her steed to the garden boundary fence. Sandra had noticed the Easterling going into the Inn and thought she recognized him but many years had passed since she herself had been here that she couldn't be absolutely certain.

Here she worked before her travels and the place still held such fond memories. Little had changed within and many old faces it appears still frequent this quaint public house. She smiled to herself as she took sight of a familiar member of staff, her friend Vana, who was busily making the customers feel welcome.

A few members around the bar Sandra knew by sight but not by name. The lady befriended by Vana was someone that she could recollect though. Wisteria had obviously been travelling too. The baggage at her feet had yet to be taken to her room.

The Easterling had now settled at the far end of the bar. He was searching around the room looking at its occupants with hope that someone would step forward and buy the bard a beer. It wasn't really that he thought it was lucky but more of a fact that he was penniless and needed a job more than a drink. She had been correct in her first thoughts of this figure, it was indeed another former resident, Matrim.

Feeling extravagant, Sandra ordered two Kegs of the Inn's finest ale and a glass for all within. :)
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Beryl comes out of the kitchen, holding the swinging door wide for her mother.

Heather carries out a tray, laden with platters of fresh bread and slices of roast. She sets the tray on the bar, then heads back into the kitchen. A minute later, mother and daughter come out again, Heather bearing a large pot of soup, and Beryl a carefully ballenced stack of bowls.

"Who's hungry?" the little girl called out.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:21 am

As Vana and Wisteria got caught up with each other another figure appeared and moved to the bar. Vana saw him out of the corner of her eye but did not take notice at the moment because of her excitement over Wisteria's return. But as she turned to go get something for Wisteria to drink she got a better look as the hood dropped off his head.

"Matrim?" Vana choked back a scream. "Oh my it is you!!!"

They hugged as she looked him up and down and smiled.

"Flotsom, I need a drink for Miss Wisteria and give this rascal of an Easterling anything he wants!!"

Matrim bowed and held onto Vana's hand a moment longer then leaned in and kiss the back of her hand. Vana blushed as she always did when one of the guys would do that.

"How the heck you been hon? Where have you been keeping yourself and why did it take so long for you to get back here?" Vana went on.

"Wooo let me speak!" He interrupted her smiling.

"Sorry I am so excited to see you friend!" She went on.

As Matrim gave her a bit of a run down as to where his travels had taken him another patron entered the Inn.

Vana listened to Matrim but could not help noticing this time who else entered. Her mouth dropped open. Was this the return of the old days? Had she fallen asleep and woken in a dream that all of the old patrons would return? There stood Sandra the first waitress of the Inn who helped train Vana on her duties and the Inn etiquette.

After a moment Vana excused herself from Matrim and moved to greet Sandra.

"Mae Govannen Sandra!!" Vana smiled and offered her a drink. The two then hugged as old friends. "You know your apron is still hanging by the back door. We did not have the heart to remove it." ;)

Sandra then ordered drinks all around.

Suddenly the kitchen doors opened and out came Heather with Beryl beside her balancing bowls and announcing that there was food for everyone. It was definitely starting to feel like home again!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby noldorking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm

then suddenly the bar doors opened and a man who looked like he'd been traveling for ages came in from the cold scary night the bar master asked him if he would like a drink o beer he agreed.
"whats your name " the bar tender asked
"halgrind" the traveler answered
"halgrind huh welll welcome to the inn"
then halgrind went and sat in the corner of the bar while the whole populace of the bar stared and asked questions like
"who is that man"
"i dont know but he seems pretty travel worn to me"
"i wonder what his story is"
andhalgrind left them all to wonder while he slowly drank his beer
noldorking
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lanastus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 am

The doors of the inn once again creak open as a large heavily muscled man with a dour look on his face surveys the room. The clothes he is wearing look as though they were well made, but now worn with time and travel. His hands stand readily by the two long handled smith hammers slung at his waist, while jutting above his shoulder is the handle of a Maul with an oversized head on it that bears the black stains of blood.

His eyes linger momentarily on each person who bears weapons, as though weighing and measuring how fit each weapon is to each person. Undoubtedly in a roadside inn, such as this, there will surely be those whose weapons are merely for show and whose bearers know not their proper use.

As the door settles back on its frame behind him the large man moves carefully through the common room, so as not to jostle anyone. Standing infront of the bar lays his well worn leather travel pack at his feet and orders a drink. After finishing his pint he smiles grimly at the barkeep and orders another and food, then as cautiously as he made his way to the bar he works to a vacant table near the door smiling as he passes those in the room.

Before seating himself his large hands reach up and grasp his maul unsling it and rest it head on the floor haft resting against the tables edge. After finding a comfortable position with his back to a wall he settles in and in a deep gravelly voice begins reciting to himself, so as not to disrupt the conversation at tables around him, his lament.

As the road grows long and shadows lengthen
A weary travler ponders his fortunes
For good or ill he doth have them

A wife whose beauty did surpass
Elven maidens fairest countenance
Her life blood spilled upon his forge

A son who in his cradle cried
His mothers screams his lullaby
His life is lost, I know not where

A daughter whose smile brought the sun
Whose grave now restes 'neath the trees
Her gentle laugh I hear in the wind

My tears will not stop
I will avenge them
When at weary roads end
I will lay down my tools, and rest with them
My family I am coming home.

As he finishes his recital to himself, he feels a lone tear streak down his worry worn face. He wonders, will it ever be done?
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm

As the large stranger watched, a pretty, brown haired woman with ancient green eyes came out of the kitchen and set a tray on the bar.

A little girl who looked to be about followed on the woman's heels. The child had darker skin and hair than the woman who was apparently her mother, but her eyes too were green. Seeing the two new people in the room, the little girl went from bouncy to very shy. She grabbed the back of her mother's skirt with one hand and hid a medallion under the collar of her dress with the other, while the woman was speaking with the Dwarf that was acting barkeep.

The woman finally turned with the grace and agility of one with elvin blood and crouched before her daughter. They whispered together for a moment, forehead to forehead, untill the little girl nodded and drew herself up tall as the woman vanished back into the kitchen.

The girl carefully took the tray in her small but strong hands and started toward the large stranger. "Your order, Sir." she said politely as she set the tray on the table and slid it in front of him. "Is there anything else you'll be needing?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Lanastus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 am

Smiling at the little girls impishness when she first came in he replied, "I will give you a silver mark if you will show me that smile I saw on your face when you first entered dear one. And if you would please tell the innkeeper I will be requiring a room for the night?" Handing the girl a siver mark and wathing her scamper away his smile again became grim at the thought of his lost daughter, Lark.

Recovering himself he smiled and turned his attention to his meal.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:10 am

Beryl came dancing back into the kitchen.

"Mummy the big man wants a room for the night and he says that I has a nice smile!" She spoke up.

Vana turned to Heather and nodded with a smile, "I will get him registered while you finish with getting the patrons their lunch." She grabbed a towel off the counter to wipe the flour off her hands from the kneading she had been doing of the next batch of rolls.

Vana walks out of the kitchen with Beryl on her heels to the door. Beryl watched as Vana walked up to the strangers table. Wiping the last of the flour off her hands she folds the towel and tucks it in her apron string.

"Hello and welcome to the Lucky Fortune Inn. I understand that you would like to get a room for the night?" She placed her hands on her hips and smiled.

"Yes mame I would." he looked up at Vana and noticed her lithe figure but he could tell though smaller in stature she would not be one to give a hard time too. He figured she probably had handled many a situation over time with patrons who had drank too much and wanted to be too friendly. But her smile was warm and genuine.

"When you are finished with your meal we can get you registered and I will show you to your room. Would you like a bath at the same time?" She asked.

"That would be a welcome thing indeed!" He smiled back

"Well then I will have it drawn for you and ready when you are." She turned and walked back to the kitchen stopping at the bar and speaking with the barkeep and his assistant. The assistant immediately headed out from behind the bar and proceeded up the stairs at the right of the room. Vana went back into the kitchen and spoke with another of the kitchen aides about getting water up to the room as quickly as possible.

Water was drawn into several pots and placed upon two of the stoves. The fires stoked to higher heat once more.

"Leave the other stove and do not stoke it because it is just where I need it for the next batch of rolls which are almost ready to put in."

Heather went on with her lunch preparations as Vana got the rolls into their pans and stuck them into the stove to bake. Then she headed back out of the kitchen and went upstairs to get towels and prepare the strangers room.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lanastus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:52 am

After finishing what was probably the best meal he had eaten in months, lan himself was a terrible cook, he headed over to the the barkeep. "Pardon me sir, but the innkeep wanted to get me registered for the night after I had finished my meal. If you could send your assistant their to run and fetch her I would rightly appreciate it."

The barkeep nodded and sent his assistant off to the find her, a few moments later the gracefull woman came from the down the stairs from preparing the room. "Allright sir, I'll need your name and it will be a silver for the room for night night." Returning her smile he paid the fair and motioned for her to show him his room.

Upon reaching the room in the back of the inn on the second story he turned to the woman and asked. "Pardon ma'am but not being from around here, could you tell me what the people are like? And if you know of any place that might need a hand at a forge, if not that I can always entertain people with some of my poetry." Shrugging uncomfortably, "Wife always said I was good at that." Hae sat and waited to see what she had to say.
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Before Vana could speak a little voice piped up behind her, "If you know anything 'bout horses, Willum -- I mean the stable master has a horse that needs shod."

Both adults looked to see the little girl standing in the doorway, looking sheepish. She had followed unbeknownst to them and had spoken out of turn. She knew it had been wrong to startle the grown ups like that, but she hadn't been able to resist answering a question she knew the answer to.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!