The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

A place for folks visiting The One Ring, from the newest visitor to the most grizzled veteran, to learn about the site and ask questions about this messageboard and site.

Postby erinhue » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm

The painted sea on the ceiling of the Lucky Fortune Inn began to come to life. Soon the waves, some with frothy white caps, lifted the tiny ships in their docks. The rise and fall of the waves shifted to gradual forward motion as the Dark Fleet and the Swan Ships glided out from their opposite shores to troll the open waters

Behind the brass railed, mahogany bar the tapestry depicting TORC began to shed its dull, dusty veneer. The colors brightened and the illustration became more vibrant. A the light of a candle flickered to steady life in the tall, ivy covered tower of Manwee and light beamed from the windows of Books. The Welcome sign in the lower corner snapped on.

Tiny bells rang, summoning the Servants of the Secret Fire or members of the Tolkien Study Group, and waking the people that called TORC their home.

Newcomers wandered about and found their way to Adoptions while long time denizens followed well-worn paths to the various Archives. Costumed characters acted out their stories in two large plazas called The Pony and The Dragon.

Office hours were in effect at The One Ring and the matinee previews were now showing in Movies. A three part comedy was playing in Tom’s House. Writers scribbled away in The Scriptorium. People strolled through Art admiring the paintings and sketches or danced in the street outside of Music. Even more people were enjoying each other’s company in the many small taverns and cafes scattered throughout Talk and Alliances & Guilds.

Wisteria’s long ago gift, an enchanted tapestry depicting a place called TORC, had come to life after a long sleep.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Heather was watching the door and didn't notice some of the changes around the inn, until the boys drew her attention to the ceiling. The waves were starting to move in earnest, the sails of the ships flapping audibly.

A gasp from Beryl made her snap her attention to her daughter. The little girl was staring and pointing at the tapestry. It had become more vibrant and the pictures moved. The girl turned her green eyes to meet Heather's. "Momma! Something's happening!"

"I see." the half elven healer said with a smile.

"A festival?" Dori, the older girl asked, eagerly.

"Perhaps. I at least expect to see Master Hue any time now."

The boys gaped at her. "You mean, real live bards?!" Borimod exclaimed.

Heather laughed. "Yes, that's exactly what I mean. But you already know three."

"We do?" Borimod and Dori asked together.

"Lady Vana, Beryl, and I are bards." She laughed again at the children's shocked faces.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Re: The Lucky Fortune Inn - Grand Re Opening.

Postby Matrim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

The door opened slowly. A hooded figure walked in slowly, making his way to the bar. Not an imposing figure, a sense of danger followed him in. He had a spear strapped across his back, the shaft worn, nicked, and polished with much use. The head of the spear was black metal but showed no sign of damage, the raven mockingly gleaming on each side.

The man was middle aged but moved as though he was advanced in age. If he had lowered the hood, you would have seen a a close cropped brown mop, two earrings in each ear, and a well maintained goatee. A light scar ran along his jaw line and another along the crown of his head.

He stopped and looked around, smiling to himself, it had been a long time since he had been here. He made his way to a corner near the bar, shrugging his pack off in the corner. He then turned around facing the Inn and leaned against the wall, his spear resting in the crook of his arm and lowered his hood, a faint smile playing across his lips as he looked around.
Last edited by Matrim on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm

One of the few remaining maids (after Heather put her foot down firmly and sent most of them packing), nervously asked the new comer if there was anything she could get for him.

Across the room, surrounded by children studying their books, Heather watched carefully to be sure the young woman treated the guest with all due respect, and to see to it that he, being a rough looking character, didn't start trouble that see would have to clean up. She usually had a sense for those types of things because of her father's elf blood in her veins, but this time she was unsure.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Matrim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Mat smiled as the maid had approached. Not much had changed, the Lucky Fortune was still a welcome place that had been the first home to him since he had left his homeland.

"I'll take an ale please." He said as he tossed her a few coins. "The rest you can keep."

"Tell me is Master Hue around? The last time I was here I left a few things."
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 pm

"Thank you, Sir, for the coins. That's quite a bit, are you sure you don't want the change?"

When he shook his head and waved her away. "Thank you for your honesty, but no. I told you to keep the rest."

The maid nodded and pocketed all but two of the coins.

"Tell me is Master Hue around? The last time I was here I left a few things."

She shook her head again. "Sorry, Sir. He isn't, but Lady Heather over there has been managing things for the most part here lately. I could send her over if you'd like."

"Please."

The maid first hurried over to the woman surrounded by children, spoke quietly with her, then went to the bar. The coins she'd saved out went into the box down behind. She then proceeded to pull a large mug of ale to take to the man.

Heather left the two oldest kids (in their early teens) overseeing the two youngest (around eight or nine) at their lessons and walked over to greet their newest guest. "Hail and well met. I am Lady Heather. I understand you're looking for Lord Hue. I'm afraid that we haven't seen him in some time. I've been keeping things running, more or less. Is there anything I could help you with?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Matrim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

He took the mug of ale from the girl and thanked her as she scurried away.

Then the lady she had pointed out approached him. He smiled as she introduced herself. He had recognized the name but it had been years since he had been here and he was a little disappointed that Hue wasn't around though. Still he quickly buried the disappointment and introduced himself to her.

"Well met mi'lady. My name is Matrim Calhoun, I used to be a bouncer here in the wilder days. I maintained a room here to keep an eye on the Inn. Quite a few years ago I left in a hurry. I was hoping to talk to Master Hue and see if he had retained any of my possessions. In particular my hat and the few books and journals I left." he said, not expecting her to remember him. "I don't expect much, I left without telling anyone what happened or where I was going. I just was hoping Hue or Leoba might have held onto a few things for me."
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm

"There's actually a good chance that it's all still here." She grinned and her green eyes danced as she remembered the 'wilder days'. "When I returned and got this place fixed up, I tried to maintain any rooms that looked to be kept by regulars." She gestured toward the stairs and the back hall that had a very few rooms set up, a large set of keys in one hand. "Shall we find out?
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Matrim » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 pm

Mat picked up his gear and followed Heather back to his old room. As she opened the door an odd sense of loss passed over him. It was many years since he had been here. Still the pain of leaving everyone and everything behind still stung in his heart. Sometimes life was completely unfair and he knew it as well as most. He stepped in the door when she gestured him in.

“This is it right?” She asked.

He nodded, not daring to speak. Tears welled up in his eyes. He knew it was a bit rude but he just waved Heather away. He would apologize later, now the emotions were too much. It would never do to let anyone see him blubbering like a baby.

As she departed he shut the door and rested his head upon it. He had to build up the courage to turn around and face his past. His emotions were already raw and ragged from his journey back home and the resulting chaos that ensued. As he sat there with his head against the door he wondered if he had the courage to face another painful part of his past.

Eventually he opened his eyes and turned around taking in his former home. It was very much like he left it. He shrugged off pack and dropped it on the chair next to the dresser. He then leaned his spear against the wall next to the door, always close at hand. He started unloading his daggers on his dresser and took off his cloak dropping it on top of his pack. His eyes traveled down the dresser to his small collection of books at the end. he ran his hands along them until he found the one of drawings that had been given to him by a friend. He held this in his hand as he turned around to take in the rest of the room.

His black hat was resting on top of a bed post at the foot of the bed. Below it was his chest of personal items; he would open that wound later. On the wall next to the window was a painting of his adopted sister Leoba. On the desk were the yellowed letters he had received or never sent. The journal holding his thoughts sat closed in the middle of the desk, another thing for another time. He looked down at the book in his hands and opened it. The picture of a special scribe was first in the book. His eyes took her in and then it fell from his hands as he collapsed onto the bed. Tears flowed from his eyes uncontrolled, his emotions finally overwhelming him. He laid there crying until his eyes were red and bloodshot. Exhausted and emotional spent he fell asleep, his dreams troubled by the past.
Matrim
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Heather nodded and got out of his way. She was no stranger to facing one's past. She could see it in his eyes and her healer's gift could sense his inner turmoil. She also remembered him now. It had been a long time. She left word with the maids that he was not to be disturbed, then checked on the kids.

Lessons were completed, so she sent the boys out to help Willum in the stables, and the girls followed her into the kitchen to get things ready for the breakfast regulars and to clean up. The coals in the oven and under the stew were banked for the night and a fresh pan of rolls were left on the top rack to keep warm. The pot of stew was set on the coals of the fire in case any late stragglers came to the inn. When the dishes had all been scoured, dried, and put away, Heather sent the girls to get ready for bed while she stopped to leave some instructions for the two girls who manned the inn at night.

When the boys and the hobbit stable-master, Willum, she bid everyone good night.

A tub was ready and waiting for the boys (Willum also had one waiting) when they got to their room.

Heather bid them good night then stepped to the next room. The girls were sitting on the floor, already in their night gowns, taking turns brushing out and braiding eachother's hair for the night. With a smile, the half elven healer quickly readied herself for bed and as soon as the girls were ready, blew out the candle.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm

The morning progressed normally.

The boys got up and helped Willum in the stable while the girls got up and helped Heather in the kitchen. When breakfast was ready, Dori rand a tray of food out to the stables while Beryl served the regulars and heather got a start on lunch.

Dori returned and made three breakfast plates and carried them out. Heather and Beryl joined her shortly and the three of them enjoyed their meal together.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 am

Out there came a sudden sound of hooves.
The sound approached nearer and nearer to the Inn until it stopped just in front of the rickety door.

There in front of that door stood a beautiful black horse. It's skin was as black as a night sky without a moon. It's black mane flew around it's neck and over the forehead, where there was a white patch.

"Adh i eryn!!" came a whisper from a dark figure saddled upon the horse. " The thought never passed me, that the Inn would be such big."

The figure was cloaked in lincoln green, such that not even his face was visible. A scabbard hung across his waist in which was hidden a blade. A bow and a quiver too hung around his shoulders. The stranger patted the horse on it's shoulders and spoke something in it's ears.

Just then a very odd looking boy came out of the stables. But he was not a boy. He had hair on his feet and pointy ears. He first glanced the horse and then looked at him with curious eyes. The stranger too was curious.

What is he? I have never seen such a being before my eyes yet!

The boy continued to stare at the stranger, as if trying to make out his face. The stranger now felt awkward. He wanted to say something but the boy's eyes glared at him, ready to eat him up!

Speak to him! Gather your wits Sid! He's a boy only!

"I err... is this the Lucky Fortune Inn?"

By the woods!! What are you saying! Don't you see what's written on the sign-board over there? The boy's bound to laugh!

A smile appeared on the boy's face.
"Yes sir. Do you wish to stay at the Inn?"

"Yes I do" The stranger at last found his voice.

He didn't scoffed at me, at least

" I will go and inform them. I wonder why anyone has not turned up yet. Probably busy, they all are."

Perhaps encouraged by the boy's friendly tone the stranger got a little relaxed and finally asked what he had wanted to since his eyes met the boy's.

"My fine fellow. If I am not too bold to ask this, but can I know of what race you belong to? It is because I have seen a few countries and have never come across someone like you and hence my curiosity aroused."

"Me sir?" The boy asked looking at his back, checking if the stranger was speaking to him or someone else. He was rarely asked such questions since most visitors know a hobbit at a glance. " Why, I am a hobbit, sir. Halfling is also another name for it." The boy replied with a smile.

A holbytla!! Mother indeed told me tales about them, a lot! And I do remember the tale of Frodo the nine-fingered! So this is a halfling!!!

the strangers eyes beamed with curiosity. He wanted to befriend the holbytla. But it seemed he was fighting a certain hesitation. He opened his mouth twice to speak something, but couldn't.

In the end, it was the hobbit who spoke first.
"May I say, that you own a very beautiful horse! It has been a while since I've seen such a magnificent beast!" He gazed at the black beast in awe.

The stranger straightened. It seemed he had made up his mind. He pulled back his hood to reveal a beautiful face. It was a fair face. The pointy ears and braided hair signified that he was an elf. But he was not. There was something about him that was non-elvish. Perhaps his complexion, which was a little darker than the usual elf. Perhaps it was his accent which reminded often of the horse-masters of Eriador. Even if he was an elf, it seemed from his face that he was too young. No creases, no folds no cracks on his silky face. One would be reminded of a child on seeing him.He had dark eyes with a glance that could melt even the sternest of people, thick lips and his physique was impressive for his age. And the dark hair that fell on his shoulders gave him the appearance no lesser than a high Elf-Lord.

It was the hobbit's turn to wonder now.

The stranger moved nearer to the hobbit. "Why thank you, little holbytla." He tried his best to bring a smile on his face but failed. But his eyes suggested he meant that. "Now would you take me to the Master of this place?" He asked.

"Err.. Certainly sir. Follow me" The hobbit, a bit distracted by the holbytla replied and went through the door.

"Wait here Haefa! Don't worry! I will return soon to take you to the stables here!" With that the stranger went through the rickety door of the Lcuky Fortune Inn.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Willum hadn't seen many elves lately, and strangers had been few in the last couple of months, so the new comer's arrival did surprise him a bit. As he lead the stranger inside, he hollered over his shoulder into the stables.

A golden haired, human boy of about fifteen came out to take the horse into the stables. The large, black stallion resisted at first, but when the young man talked to him and smoothed his mane, the beast calmed down. In the Rohirrim tongue, he promised carrots, oats, and sweet hay. Finally, with a toss of his head, the large horse followed the boy into the stables.

Inside the inn, the morning crowd had thinned to a couple stragglers at the bar.

A woman with long dark hair, pulled back into a single braid was pulling pints when the hobbit stable master lead the new comer in. "Got a customer for you, Lady Heather!" he called.

She looked their way and Sid caught a glimpse of bright green eyes. "Thanks, Willum! Be right there." She finished filling the two mugs and delivered them to the guests at the bar before walking toward the stranger and hobbit, drying her hands on her apron. She smiled and tucked a wayward curl behind her human ear before offering her hand in greeting, her ageless, green (elvish) eyes danced cheerfuly. "Hello. I'm Heather. Are you passing through, or will you be needing a room?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Sid followed the hobbit into the Inn. At the bar he saw a lady handing over the pints to her customers.
The hobbit stood there and called out "Got a customer for you, Lady Heather!"
The lady at the bar looked up and eyed Sid. And then Sid saw an enchanting pair of green eyes looking towards him.
And yet again, an uneasiness grew in him.

So, she is the owner of this place?

"Thanks, Willum! Be right there." Replied the lady with green eyes.
She filled two mugs with ale and handed them over to two of her customers.
Then she walked towards them , looking towards Sid and drying her hands on apron.

She indeed has very beautiful eyes! But there is certainly more to them. Is she elf? But her ears aren't elvish at all. And there is a certain depth in that green. Those eyes have seen a lot more of what is to see, than what her young face can tell.

Indeed, Heather had seen a lot many people and met a lot many people at the Inn. She didn't ventured to far off places very often. And whatever knowledge she had, she had gained from her interactions with the customers she met here, at the Lucky Fortune. Not only elves, but hobbits, dwarves, half-elves and even easterlings.

She came near Sid and offered her hand in greeting."Hello. I'm Heather. Are you passing through, or will you be needing a room?"

Sid, by then had grown very uneasy. He was suffocating and needed some air. For he was not accustomed to making new friends, and he was very shy around women. He hesitated for a moment. But he was a royalty afterall. His father had a great influence on him and his foremost teaching was to always be a gentleman. And it was this streak which ultimately won. And then he became a little calm, if not relaxed.

He took the hand subtly and touched it with his brow. An ancient practice of the wood-elves to show respect. "Pleased to me..meet you m'lady!S...Sidhlarion Valenar at your service." He stammered.

Lady Heather was quite taken aback by the gesture of this stranger. Then perhaps she guessed exactly her new customer's nature and how he was feeling at the moment. She was good at that. She head met many interesting people in the Inn and had helped many.
She smiled and bowing a little replied back "Heather at yours!But you haven't answered my question, dear sir. Do you need a room to stay?"

there was something about this lady, perhaps her cheerfulness or those eyes, which made Sid bolder than before. He felt as if he had known her for ages, but the thought puzzled him even more.

"Yes, I would like to stay at the Inn. But first could you please give me a pint and a half of ale please, M'lady? And also if you please, would arrange to get my horse into the stable."
"It has already been" Replied the hobbit, who was watching the newcomer intently by then.
"Why thank you then. Errr. may I know your name?"
"Willum, sir." Smiled back the hobbit.
Sid was feeling more and more that he was at home. He felt a certain bond growing between him and this place and the inhabitants.
"A pint and a half?" inquired Heather.
Sid gave a nervous smile. "Yes. One pint never suffices me and two pints becomes two much for me! He he!"
Heather laughed loudly and turned to get the order ready.
Sid, at last was feeling relaxed.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

As she moved away to get his drink,Heather gestured to the mostly empty tap room. "Take a seat wherever you like." She called into the kitchen as she drew the ale, "Girls, we have a hungry traveler!"

To girls, one in her early teens with dark blonde hair and a smaller one about ten, with thick black curls, peeked through the swinging half doors for a moment, then vanished, giggling. A few minutes later, as Heather was setting the mugs before Sid, the eldest girl held the doors open for the younger to pass through with a tray.

"Here, Momma."

"Go ahead and serve, Beryl. I've got to clean these tables up and check on Milla."

The tip of the little girl's tongue stuck out at the corner of her mouth as she concentrated on not dropping the tray. "Here you are sir. It's not fancy, but my momma makes the best rolls and stews anywhere. I'm Beryl. If you need anything, you can just holler for me." She flashed him a grin. Her eyes were green like Heather's, but not so vivid or strange. This girl was all human. "You and the boys ready for lunch, Master Willum?"

The hobbit grinned and winked. "You mean Second Breakfast, don't you?"

With a cheerfull laugh, she skipped away to the kitchen. "Dori, Willum's hungry!"

"He's always hungry!" The older girl came out of the kitchen with a pick-nick basket. "But I expected as much. Here, Master Willum. Second breakfast for you and the boys."

The girls set about tidying up the tables that Heather had missed, then Dori took a dust rag and a chair and began to dust the shelves, ledges and window sills all around the room. Beryl followed after her with the broom.

The last two men at the bar called a farewell to the girls and were walking out the door as Heather returned.

"How's Milla feeling, Momma?" Beryl asked.

Heather frowned. "She's very sick and it serves her right for drinking so much ale last night."

"There goes the last of the maids," Dori stage whispered to Beryl, who burst out giggling.

"Now, girls, that is not kind." Heather turned to give them each a firm look. "This is the first time she has done anything like this and nothing happened, so she will get another chance. But remember, The kindness you give to others, is the kindness you shall receive. There will be no rude talk behind people's backs. That is not acceptable behavior from young ladies."

Properly chastised, the girls murmured an apology.

"Thank you. And thank you for cleaning up." She smiled and hugged them. "When you're done, get to your studies, please."

"Oh, DRAT!" The older girl fumed. "Today is sums!"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Sid took a seat at one of the tables and drank some of the ale. It was absolutely refreshing !!
Heather in the kitchen was giving off orders to someone.

A few moments later, a very young girl came up holding a tray containing a bowl of boiling stew and put it one the table.

"Here you are sir. It's not fancy, but my momma makes the best rolls and stews anywhere. I'm Beryl. If you need anything, you can just holler for me." The girl said and gave a very sweet smile.
Sid smiled back and tasted the boiling broth from the bowl.

It's delicious!!

He found it very refreshing and started to gobble the whole thing very fast. Though he had sufficient coins, he hadn't eaten a good meal for about three days. Indeed, he loved to roam in the wilderness and did not much liked to stay at the inns. But a good meal was rare for a traveler of the woods, more so because he did not liked to hunt and eat forest-denizens.

The stew was finished in no time. He called for Beryl, who stood a little far off.
"yes sir?"
"Can you please call Lady Heather, little miss?"
"Of course sir." Beryl grinned and went off into the kitchen to call on her mother.

"What else, may I do for you?" Heather asked as she arrived near Sid.
"Miss, your stew is superb, I must say. Indeed I haven't tasted such a delicious meal since, since ..." Sid stopped. his eyes floated back to some memories of old.
Pictures of a woodland, and a river and a kind woman's face flashed in quick succession in his mind which were followed by the images of a gathering. A huge gathering in a forest seeing a young rider atop a black horse. The rider looked longingly to two figures standing in front of the crowd. Then he took a long glance at all the trees around him. With his head bent, he on the black horse passed on into the horizon as the vison faded.

Sid had not realized that a few small teardrops had come out on the edge of his dark eyes.

Heather stared at Sid with a kind look. She was slowly guessing her way into who and from where this stranger came from.

Sid, suddenly realizing his position, shrugged his shoulders and smiled back at Heather.
"Pardon me, miss. My mind went blank. I was asking what is this particular stew made of."
"It's a hobbit-speciality. The key ingredient are mushrooms, which arrive here everyday from the Shire."
"Then I would have some more, please. And another pint of ale."
"Are you alright sir?" Heather asked concerned.
"Y..yes I am alright. I am weary at the moment and just might need a little more drink to freshen up. Thank you."
The nervousness was slowly taking the grip over Sid again.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

Heather quickly refilled Sid's bowl and tankard. "I have a lot of rooms open at the moment, so you can have your choice of first or second floor."
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm

"Uh ... Well, I would like the first floor, I think" Sid replied.
"Very well then."" Heather said. "Dori!". Heather called. The older girl came out, visibly relieved perhaps for a short break from the sums..
"Show our guest here to his room, my dear. The one in the left corner of the east wing."
"Yes momma. Sir please follow me." Dori replied.

"First I would like to see Haefa again. Um, my horse?"Sid requested.
"Follow me them." Dori said and went out through the Inn door.
Sid too followed her, while Heather saw him leave with pitiful eyes.

At the stables Haefa was all too excited to see Sid again.
He stroked her face and rubbed her nose, a gesture she always loved.
Then he spoke something to her in elvish and it appeared to Dori that the horse nodded!

(in Elvish) "All's alright, girlie? Yeah, they do know how to keep one at rest, don't they?"
Haefa nodded again and touched Sid's cheek tenderly.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Dori had seen some well trained horses, some that could even do tricks, but this did not look like a trick. While she was musing over the mare's odd behavior, she did not hear the light footfalls approaching her from behind.

Suddenly, a fist full of scratchy hay was shoved down the back of her dress. Only the fear of upsetting the horses kept her from screeching at the top of her lungs. She did let out a short squeal and started contorting herself into some odd positions as she tried to pull the out the offending straws. "Borimrod! Get it out, get it out! When I get it all out I'm gonna pound you! Eeee!"

The Rohirrim boy was laughing too hard at his own joke to help clean it up.

A smaller boy, a little younger than Beryl, and obviously the younger brother of the jokester, ran up and grabbed the girl's sleeve.

She stopped jumping and twisting, knelt down and let him pull the hay from her back.

He periodically glared over his shoulder at his brother while he worked.

"Thanks, Lunt." Dori sighed as the last piece was removed. "Heather's started lessons, you should probably go see if she has any for you too."

He nodded and with a grin, trotted out of the stables.

"When you are ready, Sir?"

Seeing that Haefa was being well looked after, Sid claimed his saddle bags and nodded.

Dori smiled sweetly at him, then turned to lead him back to the inn. She lashed out with her foot when as she passed her still laughing age mate. She connected with his shin, so solidly that he fell to the floor, his laughter changing to moans. "And I'm telling Heather," she hissed.

Willum the hobbit was laughing now. "I told you, lad! I told you not to mess with her! She's not so sweet and quiet as she used to be. Heather saw to that."

Sid smiled at the young woman's spunk and followed her to the clean, airy room he had let.

When Dori got back to the table and her books, Lunt had already told Heather through hand gestures, what his brother had done.

She smirked knowingly while Dori vented. "And anyway, he always seamed more mature than that. I never would have expected him to do something so horrid!" She wiggled her shoulders at the memory of the itchy straws in her dress.

"I'll have a talk with him," the woman said, trying to hide her smirk.
Last edited by PatriotBlade on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 am

While Sid was entering his room, he saw the Lady Heather scolding a teenager. Yes it was the same boy who played that trick on the girl. He did enjoyed that prank but was really surprised and quite amused by the girl's (was her name Dori?) behaviour. that was some punch!!!!

Anyway, he shifted his attention.
I should not interfere with the matters here. Now is a time for relaxation. I haven't slept since what? two days perhaps?

But first he must sing. Singing was a passion of his, without which he never could sleep peacefully.
He jumped on the cozy bed and reached out for his Golden harp, Anmaril, which lay inside the small bag that was earlier hidden under his cloak.
He positioned himself comfortably and started to play on his harp. But even before a few moments had passed he was disturbed by more noise from outside. Now the quarrel was much louder. He did not recognize the voice. It was not Heather's.

He came out, curious and found out another lady shouting at Heather. Heather herself was standing there, silent. Just listening. But the excited lady seemed drunk. Borimod, Dori, Lunt and Beryl all were standing at a far corner. Some smiling, some angry, some nervous.

It's really none of my concern. Go back Sid!!

Sid came back into his room and again tried to concentrate on his singing.
He breathed deeply and persistently chanted "Eryn Lasgalen! Eryn Lasgalen!", until it appeared he was now completely focused.
Then he began his music. His famous music.

Those who knew him well, in Mirkwood loved his songs and music. But they always retracted to get too close to him. Perhaps they considered him inferior because of his descent. Or perhaps they were too jealous of him because he was the best swordsman. Who knows?But today, those precious old memories came back to him.

Sid's heart soon entwined with them and his soul was ablaze with passion.
His voice came out of his lips. It was a grim tone, a sad one. Something in Elvish. The song echoed from all the walls of his room.

Outside, all the people were quite surprised. The argument had come to a halt. Heather however, had guessed that Sid could sing. She had already noticed his harp. At present she stood there with her eyes closed, grasping the melody with utmost pleasure. She had not been in a Bard's festival for so long now. Her heart's desire to sing had reached it's pinnacle now. She desperately wanted to. But this stranger's voice had left everyone, even the stupid Milla, intoxicated and numb.

After what seemed an age, Heather realized that Sid's song had ended!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Borimrod had tried to sneak in for lunch, but Heather caught him with one of her looks.

The half elf didn't have to say a word, she simply sat back in her chair, her arms folded over her chest, never breaking eye contact. She was sitting at a table a little bit away from the other children doing their studies. She always tried very hard to avoid raising her voice in anger and rarely shouted. She had few rules, but they were unbreakable and her "disappointment" with someone was usually more than enough chastisement. "I am shocked at you, and disappointed in your behavior in the stables earlier."

Borimod's head and shoulders drooped.

"I realize that you meant no harm, but did you consider Dori's feelings in the matter? Did you know that Dori is sometimes allergic to hay when it touches her skin?"

The boy's flushed cheeks paled. His head snapped up, his look -- panicked. "No, Ma'am, I didn't!"

"She's fine. A little miffed, but fine." The corners of Heather's mouth twitched with a smile she was trying to hide. "It was a cute prank, and I hear, she got you back."

"Yes, Ma'am." he unconsciously rubbed the bruised shin on the back of his other leg. "I should go apologize."

"Hm. You should, but I would like for you to sit down and talk with me first."

He obediently pulled out a chair and sat. "I am sorry for being disruptive in front of a guest."

"Thank you, but that is not what I wanted to discuss."

"What else did I do?" The young man was fidgeting. Heather had been so kind to him and his little brother, he didn't want to leave. they were safe here.

"Not a thing Borimod. I want to get to the bottom of why you did the trick in the first place. I have nothing against occasional pranks,"

The young Rohirim's head snapped up in surprise.

Heather winked at him as she continued, "So long as they don't hurt anyone. I may be ancient, but I enjoy a good prank or joke now and again. Everyone needs to laugh. You have always been so mature that it shocked me, and probably her too. That might be part of why she got so mad."

He nodded. "I understand. I--I..." He folded his arms on the table and buried his face in them. "I think I like her," he mumbled.

"I thought so."

His head snapped back up.

"It is common for young men, if they have not been properly taught, to prank or even be mean to girls that they like. Girls, show they like you by being nice, and when you do things to them, especially if they've been doing their nice things, they get really mad."

"Like sending out my favorite jam every day in Willum's second breakfast basket." It was a statement, not a question. The pieces were starting to click.

"Um-hm."

"Will you please teach me how to..."

"Yes, I will teach you to be a gentleman. In the meanwhile, just try to consider her feelings when you do things that affect her, and remember that she's had a pretty rough life too, and has been hurt a lot. That's why I taught her to fight, so she could defend herself. Think of it like this, if she was your sister, instead of your friend and someone pulled that prank on her, how would you feel?"

"I would want to hurt him." Borimrod replied, quickly.

"Yeah, so treat her the way you would want someone to treat your little sister, if you had one."

He nodded. "Yes, Ma'am. May I go apologize now?"

Heather smiled and nodded. She watched him as he slid his chair back into place before walking over to the study table and began to speak with Dori. She was smiling. He really was a good kid, just untaught. She was about to head into the kitchen to make sure the fresh batch of stew and the roasts for supper had been started when Milla stumbled into the tap room. Wait, she stumbled? She should be sober by now. The half elven healer met the maid and caught her just before she could fall into the fireplace. There was a bottle clutched in her hand. So she has a stash. Probably been drinking on the job this whole time but managed to keep it from me. "Milla, what are you doing up?"

"I had to tell you something" the maid slurred. "I want a raise. I work in here, alone, all night, just in case someone comes while everyone else is sleeping."

"Willum sleeps in the room off of the stables so he can get up at all odd hours if someone should come, and you so rarely have anything to do, you know I wouldn't mind if you dosed in a chair, or brought a book in here to read, and frankly, I'm not asking you to do anything I haven't done myself, more than once, with a child to look after."

Milla started shouting and cursing, gesturing wildly.

Heather stood still, her expression grim, waiting for the inebriated girl to wind herself down. As soon as she is sober, she is going to start packing, she thought. Then another sound pierced through the shouting. Music. Then words. In a language she had not heard in a long time. She closed her eyes and tuned Milla out, her body relaxing where she stood. A blissful smile was on her face.

She didn't know when Milla stopped shouting, when Beryl crossed the room and clasped her hand, or even exactly when the music stopped. She suddenly came to herself and feeling the little hand in hers, looked down into her daughter's eyes. She leaned down and kissed the girl's forehead, then sent her to stand by Borimod while she dealt with intoxicated maid. Thankfully, the music's effect on her had not worn off yet, allowing the healer to put her to bed and search the room for more alcohol without much fight.

"Milla will be leaving tomorrow morning," she announced as she set the confiscated bottles on a high shelf behind the bar. "Back to your studies, please, while I start supper."
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Sidhlarion woke up suddenly. It was the next day. The warm sunlight was already falling on his face. And he could listen to the chirping of many birds from the shades of the garden outside. Some he could identify and some he could not.

Last night, he had fallen asleep after singing. That was his habit. He was used to unconciously fall asleep while singing. So when he woke up this morning he was not much surprised.

Sid stretched himself up and yawned. he got up from his bed and went out of his room. Without taking notice of anything around him, he came straight to the stables and talked to Haefa for a little while. In Elvish.

Willum was there too, giving hay to the horses. He looked at the duo and smiled.
That elf sure loves the horse much. A bond like that is very uncommon nowadays.
He nodded and shifted his attention to his work.

Sid came back to the bar and sat down at one of the tables.

"We could provide your breakfast in your room too sir. If you wish." Beryl said.

"That would not be necessary. I generally dislike close stuffy rooms!" Sid replied and after a few moments he tried to explain in a hurry"No, I didn't mean your rooms are suffocating. I meant that the lives in rooms suffocating err.. me ... aargh!" Sid was too embarrassed by his jumbled words!

Beryl laughed out loud and went away after throwing out a "Okay sir" at Sid. Then a little later she returned and asked " So silly of me. I forgot to ask, what would you like to eat?"

"That hobbit-stew. And do you have some good meat-preparation? I haven't eaten meat in a while. That'll be all!"

"Okay sir" Beryl went away into the kitchen to pass on the orders to Heather.

Sid meanwhile sat at the tables, humming an outlandish tune when his eyes fixed on a boy and a girl talking to each other at a corner of the room.
yes! That's the same boy from last night! And that girl, Dori too!

Borimod was talking to Dori. It seemed he was stammering and his cheeks had a reddish hue to them. And Dori was smiling at him.

Sid saw all this and the realization dawned on him.

They like each other!!!

he was watching quite intently when Heather came out with his lunch. She took a sideways glance towards the pair, smiled a little and placed the tray of food on Sid's table.

"Here you go. The hobbit-stew and some chicken-soup." Heather said.
"Thank you Lady. It looks as delicious as last time."
"If you want anything else, just call Beryl and she will get it to you. I will be a little busy for now as I have some unpleasant business. And it might get a little nasty here, so you can eat in your room if you wish, Sir."

She went away into the kitchen and called Beryl.

"Beryl dear, would you please wake up Milla upstairs and say that I wish to see her?"
"Yes momma." Beryl went upstairs, perhaps a little afraid.

Sid hesitated.

What to do now? Go into the room or sit here?

Milla came down, now fully in her normal state of mind. Heather was already waiting for her .....
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Heather sighed and leaned against the counter as she stood behind the bar, organizing her thoughts carefully. This situation was just another reason she disliked hiring in extra people.

When Milla arrived, the healer's expression was steeled calm. "Are you finally sober?"

"Y--yes. Why?"

"Milla, when I was young I witnessed a violent crime, committed by a drunkard. When he was brought in to face justice, my guardian, who was also the judge, insisted that the man be sober before facing judgement. He said that a person who sins while drunk, must pay for it when sober. So, your behavior while drunk, is bringing you to the consequences at sobriety. Do you remember what has happened over the last couple days?"

The young woman actually did, and her cheeks flushed with shame at the things she had said to this kind, patient woman and in front of the children. She couldn't meet Heather's gaze as she nodded.

The half-elf kept her tone calm and even. "I am sorry that you were not informed from the beginning of your employment, but as you are aware, someone else hired you, not me. That said, I made it abundantly clear once I took over, that though occasional drinking was allowed, there was to be no inebriation while on shift, and no drunken behavior, ever. You have seen me put disorderly drunks twice my size out that door, on their behinds, in the mud. What possessed you to think that I would allow it from you?"

"I did not think at all, Lady Heather. And I know it's too late, but I am sorry. And I thank you for trying to help me yesterday morning."

Heather nodded. "I will give you one week to find other employment and living quarters. You may continue to work here for that week, however, if I catch you drinking at all, you will have to leave immediately."

"I understand, Lady Heather. Thank you."

"You are welcome, but the week is not over yet, and I will be watching you more closely than your parents did when dashing bandits were in the area."

"Yes, Ma'am." Milla was still flushing from shame, as she stood up. "I will go get cleaned up then go out and look for work until time to assist with the supper crowd."

Heather nodded her approval and once the young woman was out of the room, breathed out a sigh of relief. She rubbed her face and smoothed back her hair before going to check on the newest guest. "Anything else I could get you?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 am

Sid watched the whole episode with wonder.

He was most amused by Heather's behaviour. here was a lady who he thought was the most gentle beings he had met in Middle-Earth till now. But the sudden change in her stance towards Milla was certainly frightening.
Deep in his heart, he felt pity for Milla. But he knew her behaviour was wrong. What she said last night was wrong. More so because it was in front of the children.

Once it was over Heather walked up to him and asked in the same kind tone. "Anything else I could get you?"
" It's enough for now I think, miss. Thank you. I saw that there's an orchard out there. Am I allowed there?"
"Of course you are! Beryl will lead you there."
She called Beryl at once and asked her to show the guest the way around the gardens.

-------------------------------------------------

Sid was very happy at the hour. He had roamed in the orchard among the blossoms for two hours that morning and was enchanted by the scent of leaves and bushes and flowers. This was home. This was better than that room in the Inn.

I wonder if they will allow to sleep me here!

He felt he was back at Mirkwood, at his homeland. He was getting restless moment by moment there.
After sometime he finally asked Beryl if he could practice his aim here.

"Here? But you would destroy them. The trees sir. Sorry. It's not allowed."
"No, no! Not the trees. I would never harm them. Perhaps there are some wooden planks that I could use for practice?"
"I don't know mister. I will ask momma, if she agrees then I would try to find your wooden board."

With that she went away into the Inn. Sid laid back again in the grass. But soon he saw a pair of eyes noticing him. He saw a young boy, ythe younger brother of Borimod secretly watching him, from behind a tree. As soon he saw him, the eyes slid back into the bushes.

Soon Beryl returned with two wooden planks, she had got from Willum in the stable.

"Here ye are "
"Thank you little lady. Also give my thanks to the kind Lady."

With that Sid placed the plank about fifty meters from him and took out his black bow. Soon he started shooting arrows and Beryl stood there watching in admiration.
Sid didn't know but Lunt too was watching him intently from the bushes, as he continued shooting arrow after arrow almost at the same spot on the plank.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 am

Beryl watched the elf practice his archery. She only vaguely remembered seeing her mother shoot. It had been a long time since the stout bow and quiver of arrows had left the trunk at the foot of her mother's bed. She stood well behind him and off to the side as she watched silently, careful not to disturb him.

"Have you seen anyone at archery before?" he asked, walking back to his mark after collecting his arrows.

The little girl nodded. "Yes, Sir. But not for a long time." Her green eyes sparkled with pride as she continued, "Momma used to be a warrior before she adopted me. She could shoot and throw knives and sword fight." She frowned. "Now the sword and bow only come out for special occasions, or our rare journeys."

"She does not teach you?"

"Oh I can fight hand-to-hand and Momma says she'll start teaching me weapons soon." she assured him with a grin, then suddenly turned bashful, clasping her hands behind her back and toeing the dirt. "I just like to watch. Is that alright?"
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby |Smaug| » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm

I grimaced at the sight of all of the strangers. This was not exactly what I thought the pub would be like, but I suppose I shall stay, now that I am here. If you were curious, my name is Orna. Unfortunately, not everyone is that interested in who the cloaked woman sitting alone is, so I don't say it much.

Orna's eyes widened greatly as she walked into the pub. IT was packed, and I mean packed with outrageous people. Men, dwarves, elves, halflings and more. Orna, avoiding chatting with the man at the counter, quickly slipped past the chattering crowd. Every seat, stool, and table was taken, so Orna went and sat quietly in the corner. Curling up her knees to the chest, she felt at home. Not home in this bar, but home being alone in the corner. Orna watched the fire of the candle dancing in its little space, and blew it out. This is getting pathetic. Why am I even here? I doubt he showed up... He? Yes, he.
|Smaug|
Petitioner to the Council

Postby siddharth » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:59 pm

"I just like to watch. Is that alright?" Beryl asked.

"Yes of course. And if you want, I can teach you a little archery too." Sid winked.

Beryl became very excited but was hesitating if it would be good to learn without letting Heather know.

Sid shot another arrow at the plank and then he saw Lunt again in the bushes.

Adh i eryn!! What is the matter with him?

He called Beryl closer and spoke in a whisper.

"Beryl. Don't look there now, but I think that boy, who got the scolding yesterday, his brother is hiding there in that bush." Sid pointed there with his eyes. " No need to hurry up, but would you please try to ask him later why he is watching me secretly?"

Beryl though curious, knew Lunt meant no harm. he was a kind soul and was most probably intrigued by Sid's stature and his skills.

"yes sir. err..."

"And don't tell him that I saw him."

"Okay. And I thought it over sir. Would you still teach me a little bit of archery? Nothin' serious. Just the basics." beryl gave a very sweet smile.

Sid laughed and nodded.

Meanwhile, Lunt was still watching them from the bushes. He too desired to be an archer but was afraid to ask the stranger.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Travelers crossing the Last Bridge or making their way along the Great East Road could always find a hot meal, a cold beer and a warm welcome at the Lucky Fortune Inn. They might have mistaken it for any other lodging place one might come across when traveling and indeed for quite some time they would have been correct in that assumption. The proprietor had long been absent and the place had fallen asleep.

High up in the rafters a slight buzzing sound started up inside the rainbow colored hive of the Ju-Ju Bees. The sound grew and a few of the veteran customers looked up in the direction of the hive. Such things had been happening more frequently but they always ended quickly. This time the sound did not fade away in a few moments, it continued growing more and more insistant. This drew so much attention that no one noticed the lights in the windows of the tapistry town of TORC were blinking on one by one. Thin whisps of smoke rose from the chimney in several of the buildings. A closer inspection would have revealed signs of life on the tapestries streets.

The sound from the hive buzzed to silence for a long, foreboding moment and then picked up with a fury. The rainbow colored hive tucked up in the roof beams rocked back and forth, a colorful stream of buzzing Ju-Ju Bees flooding from its opening. The tiny, sugary bees swarmed about the hive in spiraling circles, moving downward towards the crowd in the main taproom.

The fruit colored swarm broke up with individuals and small groups of bees zooming around and about annoying one and all. Some folk flailed their arms in attempts to fend off the bees. Others remained calm, snatching a passing bee from the air and popping the sweet thing into their mouths.

As the bees became more adept at escaping capture, the efforts to catch them became more energetic. The Ju-Ju Bees were delicious and chewy and gave a delightful tickle as they went down. Soon everyone was bee chasing and laughing and devouring the seemingly endless supply that came pouring out of the hive.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm

As the usual supper crowd began trickling in, Heather noticed that there were a lot of strange faces as well. Milla returned as promised and the healer breathed a sigh of relief.

She had called in the two youngest children and all hands were busy. Beryl and Dori were running food trays and collecting dishes while Milla did her best to keep mugs full. Willum left his beloved stables to work the bar so Heather could keep cooking. Lunt stood on a stool to wash dishes, while Borimod kept the stables open and ready.

Every time the swinging doors opened, the half elven healer could hear the excited buzz of the patrons. Then the buzz changed.

"Lady Heather!"

She burst through the doors, covered in flour from the bread and rolls she'd been making. Dori and Milla were looking on in horror as Beryl laughed and danced in circles in the very center of the room with Ju-Ju Bees swirling around her. Most of the patrons were enjoying the surprise, and unorthodox treat. Her gaze wandered up to the ships, still hiding in the shadows, nearly invisible to all but those who knew where to look. She wondered to herself if the sails looked fuller than usual. A jeweled glint from a dark nook, high on the wall. Agarak was waking up, and that could only mean one thing. "Master Hue," she whispered.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm

It was a pleasant evening.
Sid was sitting at the bar, with a mug of ale. He was quite surprised to see so many people at the tables. The Inn was almost full. And all of them were excited.
But Sid couldn't find any cause of the commotion.
Heather was as busy as usual. But now, she looked happier than before. Was it because of Milla?

Sid wondered along, sitting quietly. All the noise was getting on his nerves.
He tried to listen to all the talks and babbles, but all of the mingled once, were unidentifiable!
He just discerned a few words. There was talk of some kind of a harp, and perhaps there were a few sailors there, talking about ships and all.

But Sid was so lost in his thoughts, he failed to notice all the jujubees flying around. He just thought of the mas flies of some kind.

Then suddenly, a man, fully drank started singing and dancing. Some of the folks around joined too. But it was becoming uncomfortable for Sid.
Irritated he got up and tried to push his way through the mob, when he collided with one of them and fell.

He muttered something in elvish. The man didn't even know, he had pushed off somebody.
Very angry now, Sid tried to get up but as soon as he oped his eyes, they became transfixed at the ceiling!

There were two ships. Big ones. Floating in the air.
Yes, there were ships floating, almost hidden in the corner!

A swarm of jujubees passed overhead. And then he noticed, all of them were brightly coloured! They looked like candies of some kind, come alive! Sid was astonished beyond his imagination.
The only magic he had seen till now was the magic of healing. He had learnt that himself from Radagast. In Mirkwood, elves don't know any magic. Elves don't need any magic.

Sid slowly controlled himself and tried to narrow down his eyes. He slowly got up and went back to where he was sitting.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!