The BLOODLINE HERO (comments and questions thread)

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Yes. Thank you.

I did realise my mistake too late.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 am

Sorry you feel that way, Ayslhyn.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm

It is not intended lightly. Your general style is not bad at all. In some passages you can write and write well but why settle on just being a Tolkien follower?

Why not write something original of your own? You have the means. Anything set in JRRT's world is just fanfiction. Fanfiction varies hugely in quality and ranges from the bloody awful to the very good (and I would place you in the latter category) but it is still derivative.

Use your talents on something else.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Whether one wants to use their talents to write their own novel or write fan-fic is choice one has to make on their own really. Not everybody who is a good writer wants to write novels, and too many not-so-good writers do write novels, and unfortunately some of these get published.

Keep up the good write Celebrimbor. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for your input, Ayslhyn. You said:

Why not write something original of your own? You have the means. Anything set in JRRT's world is just fanfiction. Fanfiction varies hugely in quality and ranges from the bloody awful to the very good (and I would place you in the latter category) but it is still derivative.

You sound like my wife here! :lol: She often tells me the same sort of thing. She doesn't understand why I spend so much time on a dead-end project... I suppose I actually agree with you here - up to a point. I am actually in the process of writing a historical fiction piece on the old Welsh legend of the twelfth century prince/explorer, Madoc ap Owain Gwynedd. He is reputed to have crossed the Atlantic twice and 'discovered' America over 300 yrs before Columbus. I decided to undertake this rewrite under the self-imposed condition that various parts of it must be interchangeable with my historical fiction story. In other words, certain sections of this Arnor tale will find their way into my Madoc story - which ultimately (some day) I hope to complete in manuscript form and find an agent or publisher to send it to for consideration.

That being said, I felt the need to see if I can actually complete a project as long as I intend this one to be. I consider this fan-fic to be a 'test run' for me. If I can't complete a long story set in the more familar world of Middle-earth what chance do I have of completing anything set in the middle-eages of real life?

Arassuil said:

Not everybody who is a good writer wants to write novels, and too many not-so-good writers do write novels, and unfortunately some of these get published.

Very true, alas. In fact, one of the reasons I decided to try and tackle the whole Madoc subject (besides my near-fantatical interest in it) was because of a novel called, Children of First man, by James Alexander Thom. It was primarily about the Madoc voyages, which certainly got my attention. But it turned out to be complete rubbish. I hated it, and thought that there ought to be a worthy novel written about this legend to offset Mr. Thom's lackluster effort. I might as well try and do it. :wink:

Keep up the good write Celebrimbor.

Thanks, Arassuil. Incidently, I have decided to continue this story of mine over in the Reading Room instead of the Scriptorium under the revised title of Grief of the North-Kingdom. I have slashed the prologue in half and rewrote sections of it and in the three completed chapters so far. Just waiting on the TORC sensors to publish it now.

I decided not to join the RP Land of the Serpents, btw. But let me know if you decide you want to collaborate on a new Arnor RP down the road.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris