The Arnor Chronicles

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

The Arnor Chronicles

Postby Arassuil » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Being the fan of the Northern Dunedain kingdom that I am, I think I've read all I could find that others have written of them (though I'm sure there is much I've missed). I've written a few stories/tales/fanfics myself in the setting ranging anywhere from the early Numenorean settlements to well beyond the war into the 4th age. Most of them are just bits and fragments and such, a few have a bit more substance, and a couple have been fleshed out rather extensively but alas remain incomplete. With one tale set during the Long Winter of third age 2758-59 and how frozen the north was, it has birthed a side project story set during the same time in Rohan. Another side project I started is a tale set during the kin-strife in Gondor.

Looking at all my notes and files and such, I realize I need to actually try and get one of these projects done. So I went through them and pulled a few that are farthest along, and will try and work on one of them to completion. I just don't know which one I should put my efforts into first. So I thought of posting the working titles and a short description of what its about here so you kind folks can help me make up my mind? Any commentary and critique is most welcome. Do note that my stories are written with a 'man on the scene' sort of viewpoint so grammar, sentence structure, and such will not be that of an English major.
  • Darkening of the Days - Set in Eriador, a young ranger is gripped by the reality of life in the shadows in the years before the War of the Ring. A bit dark and occasionally grim, it fills in on how life may have been for the Rangers. Book character Halbarad makes an appearance, and Aragorn is only mentioned as he was likely off south at the time. Elrond gets a mention as well. The rest of the characters are my made-up originals.
  • The Fracturing of Arnor - Set in the years just before and during the reign of King Earendur, its more of a dark social/political intrigue that focuses on the internal conflicts that led to the break-up of Arnor into Arthedain, Rhuadur, and Cardolan.
  • The Long Defeat - Set in the year 1940 of the Third age, the King Araphant of Arthedain tries to forge anew the bonds with the Kingdom of Gondor. The sub-setting is in two parts. That which takes place in Fornost, that which takes place in the Weather Hills.
  • The Winter of Winters - Set in Bree and the surrounding lands in the years 2758-59 of the third age. The books tell of the suffering that befell Rohan and Gondor during this time, but if it was that harsh of winter in the south, it was all the more colder in the north. The Rangers were hard pressed to keep the Shire and Breeland safe from the fell white wolves of the north.
  • Shadows of Rhuadur - set in the time just before the war that destroyed Amon Sul, its a story written by soldiers whose watch had them in the Weather Hills. One company of Arthedain, and one company of Rhuadur. A sort of bottom level tale, told from the 'grunts' viewpoint on both sides.
  • The King's Mercenaries - Set after the war and well into King Elessar's reign, times of battle would still flare up on the outskirts of the realm. The books mention in brief that King Eomer would always ride with King Elessar to war afar, so this tale is about a company of mercenaries that were hired by King Elessar to help man the far reaches of the realm. With a cadre of ten aging Dunedain veterans in command, the company is fleshed out with veteran soldiers from other armies of men from the War of the Ring (Dale, Dunland, Gondor, Rhun, Harad, Khand) and others trying to hide from their old lives or those eager to seek adventure. With the exception of the history and the make-up of the company, it is presented in a series of short tales of different campaigns and situations, with some personal bits of the characters coming out.
These are the six of the nearly two dozen stories that had the most work done on them. The last one is only slightly associated with Arnor in that I use some of the Dunedain Rangers that rode south to meet Aragorn in the creation of the company. So if you would like to see any of these done and dusted, let me know. I'm hoping that by posting them here, it will help me stay focused and organised and maybe I'll get them finished.

Another thought I had for this thread was to put links to the fine stories of Arnor that reside here in the Scriptorium. If you know of any I have missed, do post the link please. And if they're on other sites, post those links as well (subject to forum rules on posting links to other sites). These are ones I've found so far in the Scriptorium:

I was thinking of starting an Arnor-based thread in the Alliances forum that would serve as a hub with links to all the bits about Arnor that are here in the Scriptorium, Prancing Pony, and the Books forum. But the rulesposted at the top of the Alliance forum seemed vague on what the content can be (RP'ng, stories, etc. being in their respective forums, etc.) I'll check into that further.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:19 am

The Winter of Winters idea sounds interesting. The others sound like a history lesson.

Of course, I am a big fan of history and winters. But I'm also an English major and would very much like to see something "new" in a Tolkien fanfic. Some old Ezra Pound mandated freshness. For my part, I've tried. I don't have what it takes. I come off to verbose and too much like Tolkien. If I go too far the other way, throttling off exposition as it were, my skills are such that most of the readers are in a revolt against how I butcher the Tolkien brand. So I've retired from fan fics, but that doesn't mean I'm not game to read a good one. Arnor is an interesting facet of the mythos that I believe old JRR left deliberately mysterious. It's ripe for exploration.

I'm not certain what 'man on the scene' would entail (except for maybe something Hunter Thompson-like), but I'm confident you'll make it work ... just make it new.
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Arassuil! You've been holding out on us, it seems! I had no idea you were so prolific :) It looks like you have several really good ideas going on inside your head there. So have you made up your mind that you really want to finish some of your earlier projects? If so, I think any of the multiple choices you have offered us would work splendidly for a basis for a new Arnor tale. After reading through them I suppose, at least IMO, the most interesting choice of all would be either the "Fracturing of Arnor" or the "Shadows of Rhudaur", the latter of which I assume would be set in or around the year 1409, which I have always thought would be a fantastic setting for a new story. But I also like the idea of introducing a bit more of a political aspect to the tragic Sundering with the "Fracturing of Arnor" idea. That is something I intend to try and flesh out in my "Bloodline Hero" tale as well.

Furthermore, if you decide you would rather team up and turn one of the afore-mentioned plotlines into a new RP over in the Pony I might find it hard to say no to such a project, as it might offer me a temporary diversion from "Bloodline" every so often. :wink: But if not, that's fine too.

Also, I'm sure I speak on behalf of the other authors of the Arnor stories you listed when I say thanks for posting the links to our tales. I can always use another plug!

Simple_Poet, I would certainly echo your desire for newness and freshness in all Tolkien fan-fics. I am certainly trying to do so in my "Bloodline" story, though certainly not on the lines of Mr. Ezra Pounds! That is a tough act for anyone to follow! However, I also think that by attempting to emulate Tolkien's 'style' or rhetorical template one can hardly hope to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, when doing so. But perhaps that is no such a bad thing every once in a while. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! That being said, I, for one, wish that you would venture into the waters of fan-fic at least once more before you hang it up for good. I've seen some of the poems you have put up here on TORC before and can tell from them alone that you would be ideally suited for it. I hope you reconsider in the future :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Winter of Winters - I've made an attempt to organise all my notes, and I may have enough for Winter of Winters to be posted as a short. Just needs a final edit and a few bits of filler here and there.

Shadow of Rhuadur - This needs some work as I've got the beginning for both sides, the middle for the Rhuadurian company, and most the end of the Atrhedainian company with a little of the Rhuadurian company written, but need to merge it all into a coherent tale. I'll try and give that some effort and see how I go.

I may have enough to post Darkening of Days as it stands as well.

Simple Poet, I think I meant to say 'man on the street' view. Can't say if what I write will be new in your eyes, but I hope I'm not repeating others fan-fic. With the possible exception of maybe the years covered, It won't the same as anything I read. Mine tend to be darker and grittier than some I read here, and I don't worry about uber-proper grammar. A somewhat literate low-level soldier won't use perfect grammar. And for me, I think one of the draws to Arnor is the mystery the Professor left. That and the fact its one area that didn't get any play in, hense polluted, by the movies. ;)

Celebrimbor, I had considered using one or more of the less-finished outlines as a basis of an RP in the Pony. My only roadblock to that is being able to commit the time needed to successfully participate in it. I got into Mists of Eriador because of its time and place, which sort of is concurrent with some of my Darkening of Days. It seemed to have a dark edgieness to it, and writing all I committed to there is about all I can keep up with. But this too I will consider.

Thanks for your feedback! :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:08 am

Arassuil - Proper grammar is the bane of creative writing and the job security of editors. Go with your beloved grit!

Celebrimbor - I know that you understand I'm not advocating anyone to adopt Pound's style. It's a bit difficult to articulate what I mean by freshness. Maybe it's the freshness of avoiding stodgy, Tolkien, King James Bible type dialogue. I see it often in fanfics and it's done so badly. I even caught myself using it badly. But then I don't think contemporary street slang in a scene in the back alleys of Edoras is the way to go either. Heck, I don't know.

Another fan fic from me? Your words are kind, but I just don't have the patience and desire for the necessary research to make it believable. The one I tried is hopefully buried further down in the Scriptorium. Quite the hot mess, it turned out to be. But if I had to write a Tolkien fanfic, I would go with that same plotline.

And please, call me WILL ... Simple Poet is too long to write and too painful a reminder of my craft. :)
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Arassuil - Is the Mists of Eriador still going? I thought a couple of the participants had withdrawn from it. I guess I haven't checked the thread lately. But if you decide you want to get an Arnor RP up and running dealing with one of the plotlines you came up with just let me know. I could see us doing your Shadows of Rhudaur setting, with you writing for one of the low-level foot soldiers of Arthedain and myself writing for a soldier in the Rhudauran army (or vise versa). We could write seperate storylines for a while until the two plotlines gradually merge into one as our two characters meet up (in battle?). Heck, if we could persuade Simple_Poet or anyone esle you know that might be interested and is a capable writer we would then have all three of the sister-kingdoms covered! However, if you decide your time is too limited for that then that's fine as well. But I, too, find myself quite busy these days and would only participare in such a venture under the proviso that the RP be allowed to progress slowly - say about one two two posts a month or so. But you decide. Either way is fine with me.

Will - You started a fan-fic here in the Scriptorium? Dealing with Arnor? Hmm. You shouldn't have told me, for now I might have to dig down through the various pages until I find it. :wink: You mentioned that it turned out to be a 'mess', but somehow I doubt it. I'll see what I can find when I get a few spare moments.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:29 pm

Hmm... one or two posts a month or so could work for me I think, and your idea does have interesting possibilities. I'll take it under advisement for now. And Mists is progressing on its own speed. I think Hunter and I are the only ones writing to it right now. I have a post for it pretty much ready, but was waiting for Hunter to close some of the story-line and bring it all together before I posted again. So yeah, its still on.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Will - You started a fan-fic here in the Scriptorium? Dealing with Arnor? Hmm. You shouldn't have told me, for now I might have to dig down through the various pages until I find it. You mentioned that it turned out to be a 'mess', but somehow I doubt it. I'll see what I can find when I get a few spare moments

The Later Tales of Sebastian Dearaugar ... started under the Gypsy Scribe pseudonym. (Near the bottom of page 1 in the Scriptorium).

The thread is a bit of a mess and it's more about a werewolf with a conscience trying to save that mother of the two kids in the Two Towers film. If I mislead anyone into thinking it was a story about Arnor, it is not. The intention actually is to start it in west Rohan and to end up near to where the Beornings dwell. But all of that is in my noodle.
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Arassuil - Sure, think about it for a while and let me know. I'll start kicking around some ideas in my head if you think you're up for it. If you do decide to do it which sister-kingdom would you prefer to write for? Doesn't make any difference to me really.

Will - Sounds like a hoot :) I'll try and take a gander at it over the next week or so. I'm sure it is as least as good, if not better, than the TT film itself :roll:
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Celebrimbor, I'm thinking we give it a go in the Pony, but I'll have to wait until the new year before starting it. I'm going to try and get a couple finished tales up here before then, and I'll organise the outline and opening posts for the RP. I could write either side. I have a certain idea about how Rhuadur fell into darkness, but I'm thinking I'm curious on your take on that, so I'm thinking of writing the Arthedain soldiers. I suppose we could open an OOC thread in the Pony to take the discussion there. I'm open to suggestions for a name other than my working title.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 am

Sounds good, Arassuil. Actually, I was thinking about suggesting that we wait until after New Year's as well, as I have a lot going on in RL right now. Waiting a couple months gives us time to organize our thoughts and come up with a storyline. Also, if you can think of one more person who might be interested in joining (since there are three sister-kingdoms) that might be good, too. Your writing partner, Hunter, comes to mind, but even if it is just the two of us we could make it work out just fine. I only have one stipulation for it, and I assume you'll agree with me: NO CHARACTER BIO'S! I don't like them. All the information the reader needs to become acquainted with the characters in the canon should really be presented inside the narrative. But again, I'm sure you feel the same about that :) I thought we'd use this thread between you and I for the present to discuss matters, but if you want to open a new OOC thread that is fine. If we do that than I suppose we had better decide on the official title first. Just let me know.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

~

Arassuil, I've been keeping an eye on your journal, Bloodline Hero and a few other threads in the Scriptorium, but have not had the time to really comment before, so here goes.

Although I'm not familar with any of your others work, except of course our current work together in Mists, the descriptions you've posted are very intriguing and I do hope that someday I might be lucky enough to read what you have written so far.

Celebrimbor32, I noticed my name brought up when you broached the topic of a new Rp, and you have my humble thanks for even considering me. I've written Rp on this board for nearly 10 years now and so far have remained relatively unnoticed (I kinda like it that way), but to have someone who I have never posted with before think me worthy, well...that brought a smile to my face. Must mean I'm doing something right. :) Thank you.

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 am

Celebrimbor32, I noticed my name brought up when you broached the topic of a new Rp, and you have my humble thanks for even considering me. I've written Rp on this board for nearly 10 years now and so far have remained relatively unnoticed (I kinda like it that way), but to have someone who I have never posted with before think me worthy, well...that brought a smile to my face. Must mean I'm doing something right. Thank you

Sure, Hunter. You're welcome to join up with Arassuil and me in this new idea for an Arnor thread of you want to. One more person would mean that we would have all three sister-kingdoms covered. But I leave it up to you. :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah Hunter.... would be great. Probably get it rolling sometime in January and progress about the speed Mist does. I'm doing a read-up of the time and working on an intro/opening. I have a few craracters I'll likely write in, with one being a main and the others NCE of sorts. Any suggestions for the RP thread name?
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm

So you have already begun writing an intro, Arassuil? Wow, that was fast! I have barely begun to ponder on who my own protagonist is going to be yet, let alone begun any sort of actual writing. How many primary characters were you thinking of writing for? I had planned on only one but could handle two perhaps. Also, did you decide for sure you want to write on behalf of Arthedain? If so, I can write for Rhudaur (or Cardolan). It depends on whether or not Hunter wants to join in.

You were wondering about my take on how Rhudaur might have fallen into darkness. I pretty much assumed that it was a gradual assimilation by the increasingly ill-tempered Hillmen of the mountains, who were in turn clandestinely supported by the Witch-king (or at least that is the way I was going to handle it in my Bloodline tale!). With the Dunedain slowly 'dying out' in the east (for various reasons) the Rhudauran kings might have needed to supplement their courts and their garrisons with foreign mercenaries in order to maintain the necessary status quo in an Eriador that was becoming increasingly unstable. Tolkien's timeline says that by T.A. 1300 'evil things begin to multiply' in ME. It would hardly be surprising that Rhudaur would look at alternative possibilties so as to increase their numbers in order to compete with her neighbors. I suppose there could be other reasons as well for Rhudaur's demise. What ideas were you thinking of?

Also, before we begin we need to decide on the exact year our RP will take place. The year 1409 is certainly possible and would easily provide us with plenty of fodder for potential scenarios. War has a way of doing that! T.A. 1356 is another possibilty, as that is the year that King Argeleb (or is it Arveleg? I always get those two mixed up) is slain in battle with Rhudaur. Or would we choose another year?

As for the title of the thread, well I haven't thought too much about it yet, but I'll start mulling over some choices. It sort of depends on what kind of plotline or scenario we end up going with. Think about it and let me know :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Its the roughest of rough intros. Mainly I mined my draft writing and notes to piece together a workable intro. Its nowhere near ready to go.

I'll probably write ofr one main character, but may write any number of "supporting" NCEs with them. I could write Arthedain or Rhuadur. Suppose I could write Cardolan too if I gave it more thought. Haven't done so as yet.

Interesting take on Rhuadur. Similar to how I see it. The Dunedain of Rhuadur succumb to assimilation/intermingling, death in battle and disease, and a general departure of the Dunedain not wanting to mingle their blood with the hillmen back to Arthedain. I like your mercenary take. It makes sense.

I was thinking the year 1409 before hoistilities break out. Before the 'war' there would be skirmishes and such, which seemed possible considering the instability of the area especially in the years betweeh 1356 - 1409. We'll work it out....:)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:17 am

I'll probably write ofr one main character, but may write any number of "supporting" NCEs with them. I could write Arthedain or Rhuadur. Suppose I could write Cardolan too if I gave it more thought. Haven't done so as yet

I suppose you ought to go ahead and write on behalf of Arthedain while I write for Rhudaur for now. It also depends on Hunter and whether or not he has the time or interest in joining the RP. If he did he could tackle Rhudaur while I write for Cardolan, since I have become pretty familiar with the southern kingdom over the last few years :wink: But if he does not join us than I'll go with Rhudaur and we can mention Cardolan in passing for a while. Besides, I believe the brunt of the conflict around c.1409 lies primarily between Arthedain (perhaps aided by a deteriorating Cardolan state by then) versus Rhudaur (and of course, Angmar). I was going to say that the bloodline of Isildur fails altogether in Cardolan shortly after the war anyway. By then Cardolan is ruled by a Prince who is appointed by Arthedain, I think. I think that is something along the lines of how Tolkien describes it in the Appendices of RotK.

I guess we can assume that our story begins in the year T.A. 1407-08, if you want. I'll try and think of a few suggestions for a title after we sort of come up with a plotline.

Also, shall we write entirely independantly from one another for a while or shall we make our posts comply with each other. I assumed it would be the former for at least a while. Perhaps you might be able to contact Hunter to ask him what he wants to do? The sooner we know his decision the sooner we can come up with a few scenarios.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 am

Yeah, should post independently at first but maybe with a somewhat semi-concurrent timeline? that will be more of a critical thing when we get to interacting I think.

A plotline... Hmm... my writings don't really have much of one other than how life was for the "grunts" manning the Weather Hills through the seasons. Each side making raids on the other, and eventialy open war and heavy battle breaks out and some of the gruesome detalis of the fight are told. Trying to figure out a general plotline for this.. I guess it could be the political intrigue that went on before it all broke out? I'm open to suggestions here....≥÷÷÷÷AZZZZZZZZZZZZ (ok, I left that as the cat went walking across the keyboard and it looks kind of cool....

Oh yeah, I think Hunter is a she...
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh yeah, I think Hunter is a she...

Oh yeah? Oops. The male default avatar fooled me, I guess. Sorry to Hunter for that.

One thing I was thinking about in regards to a flexible scenario/plotline is perhaps having our two main characters be related but on opposing sides. My first thought was that our characters might be brothers. For example, say we were both born in Arthedain to Dunedain parents (or at least one parent should be). Then, for reasons TBA, we get seperated in our youths with my character growing up in Rhudaur while yours grows up in Arthedain. Then, due to increased hostilities between the two kingdoms, our two characters eventually meet again after many long years amidst all the turmoil (maybe even during battle?). That way we can both write independantly for a while and slowly work our two storylines towards each other later on. Reasons for our early seperation will have to be decided upon, of course. It might have been due to a Rhudauran raid into Arthedain and my character was taken prisoner or something like that. There are lots of possibilties with this idea, but it is only a suggestion. Feel free to expand on any of this. I am open to other alternatives as well. But I think something like this would be all the plotline we would need to create a new RP with this idea. Let me know what you think. In the meantime I will keep pondering :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:12 am

~

That's alright Celebrimbor, happens now and then. The blue wizard and I are old friends, I picked him when avatars first became available and have never changed. I never did understand why we needed a female wizard when no other avatar is used to signify M/F. :?

I would really like to join the Rp you both are planning and I may, especially if it moves alone nice and slow (like Mists), except I don't have much knowledge of the timeframe you've chosen nor the countries involved aside from the material each of you have written. Is there anything else I can read to get a better handle/feel for the setting?

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:21 am

Hunter - I'm sure I speak for Arassuil when I say that we'd be happy to have you join us in the new Arnor RP. That would give us three writers for three sister-kingdoms. I've seen your writing over in your Mists thread and know that you would fit in well. However, I would certainly suggest reading up a bit on Arnor and the sundering of the three sister-kingdoms in the Appendices A of RotK beforehand. T.A. 1409 is the year of the big Angmarean invasion of Eriador. At this time Rhudaur is firmly in the grips of the Witch-king and joins forces with them under the rogue leadership of a warlord Hillman ruler. Therefore, basically it is Arthedain and Cardolan versus Angmar and Rhudaur. In my last post here you will see that I suggested that I write for Rhudaur while Arassuil handles the Arthedain side of things. However, I wasn't sure at the time if you wanted to join up or not. But if you are, then you are welcome to write for either Cardolan or Rhudaur. Whichever. I can do either one. Both offer plenty of excitement :) Think about it and let us know. I doubt we'll start posting until well into January anyway.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Wow! January has come and is almost gone already, and I'm no closer to getting any of my writing projects done, let alone starting a new RP. Sorry about this. It may be awhile before I can get to that bit, as I want to get an overdue Mists post in, and get one of my short stories posted here. Thought I'd jump in quickly and let you know I haven't forgotten these things, just suffering from massive delays.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 am

That's fine. Things happen. I've got my Bloodline story to keep me busy until you and Hunter decide you are ready for the new RP; not to mention my wife and I are always busy with our house hunting lately :pull: That takes up way too much time! Just drop by here every so often and let me know. I won't ponder too much on this one for now until you and Hunter are ready.

Hunter, let me know which of the three sister kingdoms you want to represent in the thread when you can :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

I kind of got involved with a new RP in the Pony so I doubt I'll have time to develop a new RP anytime soon. I'll post my stories here eventually, meanwhile I'll be writing in Mists and Serpents.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Not a problem, Arassuil. We can shelve this project for now. I noticed the Serpents thread over in the Pony myself, though I haven't joined in yet or anything. If we are not going to begin a new Arnor thread perhaps I will jump into Serpents myself pretty soon. So far it looks good!
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:52 pm

I ended up dropping my participation in Serpants as well. Mainly because I couldn't commit the time needed to follow the story enough to work my character into it. I'll be working on my other projects instead of actively RP'ng... Mists aside. That is really more of a collaborative writing project more than an RP.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:36 am

I'll be working on my other projects instead of actively RP'ng... Mists aside. That is really more of a collaborative writing project more than an RP.

Good point. I guess there really is a distinction between the two. Upon reflection, I've come to realize that I am no longer interested in participating in RP's as opposed to 'collaborative writing', which is, IMO, far more rewarding. As a result I shall spend more time on my writing project over in the Reading Room. Yet, if you change your mind about a collaborative Arnor story in the future let me know :) ...

I think you should go ahead and work on one of those writing projects that you mentioned at the top of this thread. So which storyline did you end up deciding on?
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 pm

I have Winter of Winters pretty much done. It just needs a comb-through to smoothe it out, so that will be the first one I'll post. I'm considering putting it in the Reading Room as well.

The second most complete one is the Darkening of Days, followed by The King's Mercenaries. The others are pretty much framed in, but need some mroe content.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 am

Sounds good, Arassuil. Yes, I have always liked the Reading Room, it being the first place I posted my old Cardolan story of a few years back. The format over there just looks more polished and professional somehow. However, you do have to wait on the mods or whoever to approve it for publication, which can take several days sometimes. Also, there is no edit option, unlike here in the Scriptorium...I am revamping the beginning of my present story and will probably be posting it in the RR for a good while. I will keep an eye out for your new tales while I am over there, though! Your ideas sound interesting :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm

I've been editing my tales, and am hoping to have Winter iof Winters done and submitted to the Reading Room shortly. I thought I'd post an excerpt from the opening here.

Winter of Winters – an Excerpt

Leo Hopvine couldn’t remember it ever being so cold. He couldn’t even recall any of his gaffer’s tales about it being so cold either. There were tales of rainy winters, of warm winters, of snowy winters that started early or went late, but nothing like this. The previous summer was fine, and fairly normal as far as summers go in the hills and fields around Bree. Autumn began as they usually do, with wind and rain and chill nights followed by warm days, and all the sign spoke of a normal winter to come. But the chill winds from the north started to blow earlier than usual, turning the early morning showers into snow dustings, and those shaggy, shady men in grey rode in from the north telling of the snow and ice coming southward on their heels, some listened, but many still considered them common weather tales spoken over ales at the inns. These first morning snows would quickly melt in the afternoon sun making the roads muddy, and an exceedingly warm stretch of days came, reminding all of the summer past and causing many to forget the chill of the week before. Still, the mornings were exceedingly cold, and Leo bundled heavily to go to work.

Barry B. Butterbar, keeper of the Prancing Pony Inn, was one who didn’t take the words of the Rangers lightly. Right away he prepared. His order for extra kegs of beer arrived from the Shire, and his larder was over-full. Lance, Leo’s big-folk friend was hired and used the next few days to cut and store extra wood, stacking it outside when the covered stores was filled. Wherever he could Barry collected extra supply, and the place looked like it could withstand a siege. A few of the town locals would comment and make light of his preparations, but Barry would wave them off. One young man asked him why the extra stocks this year.,

“My knee has been a bit more rickety since that first cold morning a couple weeks ago. I don’t like what it is telling me, and to have those rangers themselves speak ill of the winter to come, I take notice!”

He answered as he served a table of hobbits some bread, cheese, and tankards. A few chuckles started to build when Barry cut them off…

“And you would be right in doing the same! It will be a cold one I’m a tellin’ ya. A Winter of Winters!”

Talk murmured off into discussions of the coming winter, of past winters, the latest warm days, the signs of the land, and what it all meant. But opinions remained divided, and some cared not to give it any more thought other than saying that winters come, but they always go.

Another snow covering greeted Bree as the morning sun came up. As it had the last week, the air warmed to a fine afternoon, and not unlike the citizens of Bree, even the trees seemed un-decided. Many had taken the first chill to drop their leaves, while others only showed colouring and loss at their extremities, their lesser leaves protected from the frosts, still a summer green. It was three hours past noon when the first clouds could be seen to the north and west. Thunder could be heard in the distance, and everyone took an extra step to finish their day’s business. By the time the highest of the thunderheads shadowed the town from the sun, a severe chill could be felt. The wind stirred, and then blew into a gale, and the rain and lightning closed around. Little did the people of Bree know that it would be the last they would see of the sun for many weeks…
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris