The Arnor Chronicles

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Looks great, Arassuil! I like the attention to the lesser details, especially when it comes to weather conditions. These sort of fine points are so important to painting a vivid picture in the reader's mind of what the world in question is to be seen as, etc. This excerpt looks more LotR-like as opposed to, say, the Silmarillion, which is obviously more in the form of an ancient legend. I highly encourage you to begin posting this tale over on the RR as soon as you can. No need to wait until you are completely finished. I'm gradually posting my revised North Kingdom tale over there now, and I am no where close to be done with that. The only thing about the RR that I don't like as much is the lack of control you have of the boards. There is no edit option over there. Once you submit each post for publication (which currently seems to take at least a wekk) that's it. It gets published errors and all. But you probably already know most of this, no doubt. We need more authors of worth in the RR in order to jump start it, as it seems to be pretty dead over there lately. Thus far I have been unable to generate any feedback on my Arnor tale, but that's okay. I'll keeep going regardless. At any rate, I'll be on the lookout for this story of yours, though! :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words there Celebrimbor!

Hoping to get these projects finished here soon. Work has been consuming all my time and the old ISP went pear shaped. Got that sorted now, and I may have some time to myself for a few weeks.

Winter of Winters - Excerpt #2

The door slammed on the shed out back of the stables as the wind gusted the dry leaves against it. A biting chill could be felt, but inside the shed all was warm. Kegging the ale was done, and the last batch was in the last stages of boil. Leo dumped the last of his hop flowers in, except for one small bag. He would toss that into one of the kegs before it was sealed.

"That looks like it will be all for the beer this winter."

he muttered to himself, hoping Barry doesn't get wise to his pinching of wood to make the brew. No matter, he will be welcoming of it later when stocks start to wither. And he said it would be a winter to be remembered. If the Autumn blizzard that started a week ago was any sign, it would be rough. The snow piled deep in drifts in the sub-freezing night, but quit before morning. The wind blew most of the powder away, only yo have more blown in with each storm front. Normally at this time of year, the rains would come and go with these fronts, but the incessant chill of north winds kept tit all frozen.

When Leo emerged from his brewing shed, fine flakes of snow blasted his face as the skies darkened toward evening. Several travelers who had managed to get to Bree were filling the inn and it would be a cold and windy night.

Far off, carried by the wind, faint howls could be heard....
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:19 pm

An interesting 'teaser' to your story, Arrasuil. I still think you ought to begin posting this or one of your other stories over in the Reading Room. Besides my North Kingdom tale and a couple of very well-written yarns by a certain Storm Lord there isn't a lot of activity going on over there these days, alas. We need more fan-fics from good writers to read.
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Re: The Arnor Chronicles

Postby Arassuil » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Alas, time slips away. Work has been full on and my off time has been spent on other writing projects. I do hope to pick this up again.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Arassuil » Wed May 06, 2015 11:12 pm

.... and 2+ years later... I will get back to this. :|
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:31 pm

.... and 2+ years later... I will get back to this

Seize that feathered quill in thy hand and make haste, my lord Arassuil! Your audience awaits thee! :P :wink:
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris