Once There Were Words (Comments Thread)

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Once There Were Words (Comments Thread)

Postby Rholarowyn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:42 pm

When the muses want to create and colaborate (especially when it has been many years) who can deny them. This is a story exploring relationships, the past, relationships to the past, letting go, and moving forward. Eari and Rholarowyn have been friends and warrior sisters since before the War of the Ring. Fate had brought them together for a time and then destiny drew them apart. Soon these sisters of warfare will meet again and sinces the muses wanted to play we decided here is where we will let them.

If you have any comments, please leave them here in this thread. We would like to keep the continuity going in our story thread.

Brief Bios:

Eari:

Eari is the daughter of a sylvan elf of Lorien and a Numenorean woman. She knows almost nothing of her parents except that she is considered family by the Lord of Lorien and that she was raised in Halbarad's household because her mother was kin. She always considered the Ranger an older brother.
Her father was killed by orcs in an errand with Elrond's son while his wife was pregnant. Eari was born in Arnor and upon her birth her mother - who had the foresight of her kin - declared
To the North she will never belong,
But whether to East or West no one will know
It will depend on if she is not enough strong
And she instead of hope, chooses sorrow
After that the Dunedain woman died.

Eari grew up in Arnor, a wild child always intent on learning new things until she was 7 years old. She would fight boys and learn with them the art of war no matter what anybody said: at first spying on them and repeating the movements by herself then with them. On her 7th birthday she learned of her elven heritage as well as of her father's death and she was brought to Lorien where she spent the next 3 years, learning the way of the elves.
She returned accompanied by Rine, an elf of Lorien, with the stubborn idea that she would ride with the Rangers to rid the North of the yrch scum. Driven by need and lack of numbers Aragorn and Halbarad allow her to do so but never on her own. When Rine is almost killed in a fight and decides to leave for Valinor, she rides away from the North, ravaged by guild and moves to the South. She reaches Ithilien where she stays by herself in the wild and does her best to kill as many orcs as she can.
When she meets the sons of Denethor, they take her for a boy who has lost his way and after witnessing her skills bring her to Minas Tirith where she stays for a while. This is where she meets Rholarowyn and becomes friend with her although not revealing who she really is. When it is discovered she is a woman, she is banned from the White City and spends a few seasons in Lothlorien. But she is drawn to Gondor where she has found a home, a family and a sense of belonging unknown to her before. Blessed with forgiveness from the brother and Rhoe, and strong in war she rises in honour in the city. She even falls in love with Boromir but both of them are too taken with their sense of duty to Gondor to allow themselves romance in the common sense.
Still, when he leaves for Imladris, she becomes reckless and takes more and more dangerous missions in Ithilien, until she is captured and brought to Nurnen to fill the number of slaves of Mordor. From this time, she is left with a nasty scar on her shoulder that prevents her from holding a bow properly. She is returned to the White City after the fall of the Dark Tower and spends almost 2 years in Lothlorien or Imladris trying to heal the wounds before returning to her duties in Gondor. While serving the king in different capacities, she becomes a bard and finally lets herself trust again... She thus meets new friends, new people that will change her life and make her the woman she is today.

Rholarowyn:

Rohan:

Rholarowyn was born in the land of Rohan. With her green eyes and long blonde hair, sShe was deeply loved by both her parents and remained their only child .Ryomer, her father, was a good and honest man who was well known through out the Riddermark for his skill with horses. Lawen, Rho’s mother, was the youngest daughter to Denethor of Gondor. The union between the two met with disapproval from the Steward’s family since Ryomer was not descended from kings or well known noble men. So when Lawen choose to marry him, she was rejected by the Steward’s house, and all ties between her and her family was cut off.

Growing up in Rohan provided the ideal childhood. When Rholaroywn wasn’t involved with chores or instruction, she could be found roaming the countryside, losing her self in nature’s splendor, or off galloping across the plains on one the family horses. And if the young girl had been born with any inclinations towards being a lady, they were quickly squelched by trying to keep up with her three older, male, cousins Rydan, Heldred, and Bryttar, who also lived in the ranch with their parents and Rholarowyn’s Grandmother.

In Rholarowyn’s thirteenth year, fate dealt the family an unexpected blow. It wasn’t the day that Rho’s father, and uncle, left on a short journey; it was the day when they were supposed to return and did not. The women and the young men had waited two years. Finally decisions were made and one month later, Rholarowyn and her mother were being led away from the only home known to the young girl. Seeking to make amends for their fifteen year separation, Denethor sent a message to his daughter in Rohan inviting her to return to the city. A house would be provided to her and her daughter until word of her husband or the man himself was found. It was with much difficulty that Lawen finally accepted his offer.

Minas Tirith

Adjusting to the city life of Minas Tirith was extremely difficult for the young woman of Rohan; yet it was more than the pain and sorrow of her father’s disappearance, separation from her Rohirrim family, and her mother’s continual withdrawal from life that left the young girl feeling isolated and alone. A new set of expectations had been placed upon her and a new role was being defined. No longer was she allowed to wander off by herself to explore the world around her, not that she wanted to. Her life of open fields and gentle breezes was now replaced with cold walls and Towers of stone. So at the age of thirteen, Rho’s pain turned inward and as she tried to comply with the desires of those around her, but slowly anger and resentment took hold in her heart, and the White City as it was affectionately known by so many, became her physical and emotional prison.

One year later, news of Ryomer and his brother’s death was brought to the Steward’s house. When this news finally reached the young woman something in her spirit was awakened. No longer was she willing to sit by while others continued to dictate the direction of her life. So in the darkness of a moonless night, Rholarowyn made a vow. She would avenge her father’s death, and to do this she would need to become a warrior. It was with this new focus, conviction in her heart, and a small amount of desperation that Rho sought out the Minas Tirith knight, whom she’d met only two weeks earlier.

Much to Rholarowyn's surprise Culanir had agreed to train her, and much to Culanir’s surprise, the fourteen year old was a determined student and willing pupil. The two trained together in the secrecy of night and went undiscovered for over a year. But when their secret was finally revealed, a new secret quickly replaced the old. Culanir would never be known as the young woman’s first mentor, and the deep friendship that had formed between the two, was completely severed.

If Culanir’s willingness to train her had been surprising to Rholarowyn, the next man who took over her training was a complete shock. But somehow, despite their tumultuous beginnings, her cousin Boromir had seen some of the same talent and determination that Culanir had seen. And so it was with a new mentor that Rholarowyn continued with a train with a sword. In return for this, she was to continue in her formal education until the age of eighteen.

Rholarowyn continued to grow and mature with her weapon of choice, and so did her love and loyalties to Gondor. Protecting the city she loved she would fight along side of men and for the victory of Minas Tirith. But as it was for all who lived in those days, along with the victory came losses. Losing her mother along with the death of Boromir hit the young woman hard. So in her search for finding a new place to belong, Rholarowyn found herself becoming a member of the Mithril Knights Warrior Guild. Once a member of this Guild the Mithril Knight participated on many missions, her last mission for the Guild came to her and her alone. Along with her unusual position to the Stewards house and her friendship with the Eastering Moujhadin, Rholarowyn embarked on her most dangerous journey of all, a journey to the East.

Narayan:

Rholarowyn's eight year old son whose past will be revealed in this story.

Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Hello readers of "Once There Were Words",

After two months of Internet problems Eari was againg able to post to our story last night. When I went in to read her latest addition, I was shocked and pleasently suprised to see our thread, our story, had over 2700 hits.

While I love to write I do not consider myself an expert. Even though English is my native language, grammer has always been a challenge for me. However, I enjoy creating stories and the colaborative process of writing a story with another, especially one set in Middle Earth, a world I have come to love even more throughout the years.

For Eari, English is not her first or native language, and I am always impressed with not only how well she writes but how she uses her imagination to bring the story to life.

We created this thread for comments and feedback and we both hope and welcome that from you all. With 2700 hits I know that people are reading our story and we would enjoy learning more about those of you who are and your thoughts about what you are reading. :)

Rholarowyn & Eari

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn

Postby Celebrimbor32 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm

I, for one, have remarked more than once that Eari writes as well in English as many others who call English their mother tongue. Better than many, actually.

I have only begun to peruse your tale so far. Interesting beginning. I'll keep reading and perhaps have a comment of two later :)
Celebrimbor32
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

:oops: :oops:
I thank you both warmly for your kind words...

It is both a pleasure and a challenge for me to write in English and it is absolutely thrilling to know that what you read makes sense and you enjoy it.
I most certainly enjoy writing and having someone to write with who can interact and inspire me while in turn I can do the same is very satisfying and fulfilling :) :)
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Arassuil » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I will add my 2¢ and say your writing is both interesting and inspiring! From reading this, i wouldn't of thought English was your second language. :)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Kaya » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm so sorry I still haven't started reading your story, Eari and Rho. :(

Life has been just too hectic with the construction work at home that is taking forever - I hope that'll change soon, so that I can finally enjoy the extra space instead of having headaches over it, and finally can concentrate again on more fun things.
But, enough of my whining... :oops:

I'll be back. ;)
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby prmiller » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Once There Were Words

Those who craft stories are wonders,
those weave tales hear, "Hurrah",
once there were words in the crafting,
gems are take their place, causing awe.
I may not notice the clichés,
blindly ignore jagged prose,
others may notice the plot-thorns,
I am transfixed by the rose.
Trust those who honestly praise you,
but cherish those friends who will see
ways to get rid of the shackles,
that legends within are set free.

Blessings,
Parm :)
The gift of rain for the glory of green. Ah, May!

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Rholarowyn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 am

Thank you Parm,

Your poem has more truth in it than you may know. :)

Kaya, I've seen the pictures on FB. Your little house is turning into a home. :heart:

For those of you wondering why the story has slowed, I have not heard from Eari in several weeks but I suspect she is once again having Internet problems. This was the reason we had a lull last time in the story. Hopefully all will be fixed soon as we want to get everyone out of the town and on to the road. That should happen in the next post or two!

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 am

This is indeed the reason along with the fact that my parents were here.

I should have an answer from my interviews within the next couple of days. When I do I'll be able to replug the net.

I apologize I miss this though :)

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Arassuil » Thu May 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Just dropping in here saying this is one of the four tales I've been following here. Thanks for sharing your writing!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Rholarowyn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Arassuil,

Thank you for you kind words. It is nice to know we have fans! :-)

I have taken a much needed break from writing but a post is coming very soon, hopefully tonight!

The story will continue...

Rholarowyn

Postby Arassuil » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Nice additions Earendil81 and Rholarowyn to the tale! Enjoying the read!
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby earendil81 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 am

Arassuil, you can call me Eari as many people do.
One day I should ask for my pseudo to be changed and yet it might feel wrong who knows??

Thank you for your words and glad to hear you are still enjoying this tale. I have to get back to work on it; I had promised myself never to write a male character anymore (except the sort of out of time elf that is Eilathen as he is easier to write in some ways) as they are always challenging for me. And here I brought one that seems pretty powerful in the mix and who is demanding my attention. I hope I won't betray him.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 am

Eari,

Can you send me an email? I currently do not have my email contacts and I don't have your addressed memorized.

Thanks!

Rholarowyn

Postby Parador~J » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:02 am

Wow, Rho and Eari! :) :hug:

I love this story...you two are such beautiful writers AND great storytellers :thumbsup:

I'm adding you to my favorites so I can keep up, lol:)

What an accomplishment it is to learn another language...I applaude you, Eari :clap:

:TORC:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby earendil81 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Rhoe you have mail ;)

Parador, what an amazing compliment coming from a highly talented writer :D. Thank you for your kind words :oops: :) :)

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Parador~J » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 pm

***blushing different shades of red*** oh my goodness, Eari...Thank-you for the compliement...my mouth dropped open when I read that :lol:

In fact I created a thread 'A Writer's Quest to become a better writer just so I can tap in to all of the Great TORC writers...get a better perspective of what it takes to even become a writer...I've never considered myself a writer...It's something I want to work on and seriously persue :)

You just made my confidence jump a little higher Eari! :lol: :) :hug:

It takes a lot of time and energy to write these stories...so I commend you two and the other writers on TORC :thumbsup:

I for one enjoy reading the stories...such talented people :):):)
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Rholarowyn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Parador,

It is always nice to know we have fans and those who appreciate our story and talents. Eari and I have written together on and off for the last 9 years and this is story is a result of many of the smaller stories we started and never finished. We both hope you will continue to enjoy it. :-)

I will keep my eye on your writing thread as I am always looking to improve my writing.

Your fellow Mithril Knight,

Rho

Rholarowyn

Postby Rholarowyn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 am

For those of you following the story and have noticed the long break, I am working to bring the Rholarowyn timeline up to the Eari timeline and it is proving to be a bit of a challenge for me and my muse. Perhaps it is due to the fact my shiedmaiden has never been comforted by the arms of a man (on the boards here at TORC) and is reluctant to leave anytime soon.

More will be coming in the near future.

Rholarowyn

Postby Parador~J » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:00 am

No problem our dear Rho :hug:

It's worth the wait! :) :)

It will give me a chance to catch-up...I've been goofing off this weekend :P :lol:

Rho...I've been meaning to tell you how much I love your poem by Parm ...just beautiful!!! And so you! :hug:

Parm is such a blessing to these boards :rose:

Of course as I say that...I can sure think of many more...it takes all of us to make TORC what it is today :thumbsup:
Mithril Knights Warriors Guild
~Mithril Knight of Lore
~Mithril Knight / Knight Marshall

~Bearer of the Sun Ring of ~Anar~ - The Spirit of Endurance ^~^'Fëavoronwie'^~^
A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby elora » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Fear not! Waiting with breath baited! :hihi:
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby Rholarowyn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 am

Alright, after writing 4 entirely different scenes for the Rholarowyn timeline and being disappointed with all of them, I am officially stuck. I will continue to work through this block but in the meantime I have picked up the Ryomer/Eari storyline again.

The Rholarowyn timeline is currently 2 1/2 days behind the Eari time line and my muse and I will find a creative way to make up he gap, hopefully soon!!

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:03 am

Ah... this is one of the posts I have that has the most dialog ever. I usually don't have much of it.
It's weird to read but that's how the writing came.
What's also interesting is that the first draft came from eari's point of view but then shifted. The peredhel is still struggling much with her feelings and she was not ready to face them so Anoriel became the focus of that one.

Writing is curious sometimes :P :P

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 am

I am in constant awe of the creative process both when it is blocked and when it flows. After what feels like pulling teeth for the last month my muse has spoken and it was not at all what I expected.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Bard Festival of Lurea and Hobbituk’s wedding (which was written here on the boards nearly 10 years ago) will find in my latest post, Rholarowyn relieving a personal event from that story. The details of her memory come from a complilation of two specific posts. The first was written by me on December 22, 2002 and the second was written by Bardhwyn (using the user name of Moujhadin) on December 24, 2002. Both can be found on page 18 of that thread.

Rholarowyn

Postby Rholarowyn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:33 pm

In the post that I mentioned above I wrote at the end that Rholarowyn had gone East for Moujhadin. Writing today I realized that she did not go East for him but South.

All of the posts are now in sync to reflect this detail. :-)

Rholarowyn

Re: Once There Were Words (Comments Thread)

Postby earendil81 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 am

My apologies to our readers for the silence and to my partner ;)

The muse has returned although I cannot yet pick up eari and rho's storyline as she is not in a "nurturing" mood. I am hoping that being with my family for Xmas will take care of that :)

Thanks for your patience and all the kind words that I read in this thread :D :D :)

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby rwhen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:31 pm

Time for me to crawl out of the woodwork and say that I am a fan.

Eari. I miss you on the boards my friend. I hope that the transition back to France is going to go smoothly and you can get back with us as soon as possible. :hug:

Rho...I think that the "Hunt" thread is going to be coming back to life. I never had a story that was tied up with it, but certainly followed the storyline.

Can't wait for more on...Once There Were Words!!

:clap:

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Rholarowyn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi rwhen, it is always nice to hear from fans. :-) Currently I am battling a nasty flu bug but once I am better and I have energy to share with the muse our story will get moving again.

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 am

Hi Rwhen... I am actually back in Canada. The trip to France was just for Xmas. At this time we can't really go back but it was a much needed break from work (downside was my husband could not be with us).
I am nowhere near sick but work has been exhausting over the past few days (11 hour day will do that to you) so the muse is napping but hopefully this weekend will give me the opportunity to rest and write a little :D
Thank you so much for your kind words :) :)
Rhoe get better my friend :D

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby earendil81 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I added a little something... I am not sure it conveys what I wanted. At least not as strongly as I would have wanted.
You know these moments of silence with a loved ones that are so comforting and needed when you are so sad you can't even articulate it or so deep in despair that you just need to know you are not alone.
I hoped to give that but I don't know if it works as well as I imagined it. :P :P

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light