Once There Were Words

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Rholarowyn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 am

The small beady eyes from high in the trees followed the warriors through the shadows of night. Once past, his wings stretched out, caught the invisible breeze and the wise bird flew off towards the deeper part of the woods. The screech of warning could be heard by all.

The group had left the village just before sundown. Each rider upon their own horse and Nayaran willing rode double with Ryomer who led the small group single file. If it had not been for the orders of silence from the Rohirrim the young boy would have peppered the rider with questions of Rohan with his insatiable thirst for knowledge of the Horse Lands. Rholarowyn followed on a large black mare that had been recently purchased for the journey. Earendil was next and Lienoril brought up the rear on his chestnut gelding.

Prior to there departure the men and Eari had discussed the best location for their first stop before dawn. Maps had been brought out and various routes were considered. Rholarowyn was surprised to see how the lands had changed over the last 10 years. Some towns appeared to have endured while others abandoned. Some towns and even been newly built and were thriving, towns the shieldmadien had never heard of.

It was finally decided that Eari knew the best place for their first stop. Even Joham had agreed. Now all they had to do was ride safely through the night and reach their destination. While silence had been ordered, there was no stopping the shieldmaiden’s thoughts and how she was preparing to face the future that awaited them all.

Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Postby earendil81 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am

The group was riding in silence, but there was no real silence in the world. She was listening to every sound; the riders' breathing and how it revealed some of the thoughts unraveling in their minds, the horse's hooves on the dried leaves or branches on the road and farther amongst the trees the sounds of nature at night: an owl taking flight not too far from them, a badger peacefully walking through the hidden ways of the forest. A hare was hopping around oblivious yet to the fox closing in on it. Soon a race for life would happen. And then of course there were her own thoughts. Not at all peaceful to be true and very loud to say the least.

They had decided she would know best where to stop; it may be true, but she still had to stop in Tharbad and traveling with Rhoe and her son, that might prove a difficult endeavor. She had to find a way to go to the city by herself; the night's ride would also prove tiring for Nayaran who, unlike his mother, had not slept past midday. He would probably soon doze in and out against Ryomer. They were a few days away from Tharbad but wherever they took their rest, it would require discretion. And there were only a few places like this between Fornost and Tharbad; not all of them fit for a kid.

The one she was thinking of for their first stop was going to be the trickiest. They would have to keep Nayaran away from the common room; and they would have to arrive in two groups. First she and Ryomer to prepare for Lienoril, Rhoe and Nayaran... With the tension between her friend and the man, it would be complicated, but there was no other way to do it. Daenora would help but the price would be high. What had the King been thinking of?
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:22 pm

The company rode through the night with only an occasional stop for food or other necessities. At one point Nayaran was put in front of Ryomer so the young boy could sleep, braced by the strong arms of the Rohirrim man whom Rholarowyn was trusting more and more. An hour before sunrise they reached a fork in the road and again they small group stopped and dismounted. Nearby a gently flowing creek provided water for the horses and a freshly downed tree with roots protruding from the ground offered a dry place for Nayaran to sit while the others stood close by. Eari then began to explain her plan to the others…

“NO!” the shieldmaiden protested half way through. “I don’t care what the reasoning is, I am willing to wait, I am willing to enter with Lienoril if I must, but I WILL not go along with the rest!”

Though the night was still dark, Rholarowyn could see or rather sense the look in their eyes. She held their gaze.

"Mom…” the young voice started, “…it is all right, I can do this, it is just for pretend.”

The warrior woman’s heart ripped as she momentarily looked away into the darkness of the forest and caught herself before the inner rage of injustice took over.

“Mom?”

She felt the young hand slip into hers. Slowly Rholarowyn turned towards her son and then knelt down. Eye to eye she looked into his and both spoke to each other the silent words of their bond. After several moments she gently brushed a few strands of his shoulder length black hair away from the left side of his face. Besides his father, Nayaran was the only other one who could disarm her so quickly. From anger and rage to gentleness and compassion. A weakness perhaps, or not, as it had worked both for her and against her in the past.

“I can do it.” The boy’s determined voice finally broke the silence.

The kneeling woman inhaled deeply and took a considerable amount of time to weigh all her options. Finally she hugged her son and then rose; her left hand still holding the hand of her son. “Alright,” she started hesitantly, “Lienoril will pose as Nayaran’s father.”

Turning towards her warrior sister Rholarowyn’s mind shifted back for a moment in frustration. In the current culture it was more acceptable for a man of the West to have produced a son from an Easterling woman, even if it was against her wishes, than it was for a woman of the West to give birth to a son from any type of arrangement, especially marriage, to a man of the East. So for this situation she would not be acknowledged as the boy's mother. Only Rholarowyn, Shieldmaiden of Gondor, returned from the dead.

“Eari,” Rholarowyn’s voice was stern, but committed. “What else do we need to know?”

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 pm

She understood Rhoe's reaction; she could only imagine how hurt the woman would be; already bereft of all, she was now requested not to claim her son for her own. What was left? But she could not acknowledge it. Not here, not now. There could be no weakness if her friend and her son were to be safe. And they would be safe under her watch; she would not risk anything that could jeopardize them.

Still the shieldmaiden coming back from the dead might already raise questions but with a son in tow, there would be no end to the questioning; not here though. That place had not existed when her sister was sent to Rhûn. People would not have heard of the shieldmaiden of the White Tower; Minas Tirith was too far and its citizens far above the conditions of the ones passing by the inn she was having them stop by. So at least she would not have to ask Rhoe not to use her name, which might happen before the end of their journey.

There would be no consolation for Rholarowyn in the rest of the situation anyway. Her friend might resent her for what she was to ask; at least Joham had helped with that part. She had confided in him that this could happen and he had provided her with what was needed.

“Eari,” Rholarowyn’s voice was stern, but committed. “What else do we need to know?”
"You will not like the rest much either my friend. This place is of little reputation. Well in its own way it has a great reputation, but the point is to keep you and Nayaran safe."

She turned to her friend's son for a moment.
"Nayaran, you know how you say it is just for pretend?" The child agreed in a hush. "Well what your mother will do is also for pretend, alright?"
Again the boy agreed; she had to be impressed. She could not be sure her son would be so strong in the same situation. But her own had apparently had an easy life compared to this child. And she could not say that she would have played that kind of charade if her kids were with her.

She turned to her horse and grabbed what she needed. She gave a pack to her friend, kept one under her arm.
"Lienoril?"
"Yes." She tossed him a small leather purse, then the same to Ryomer.
"You are the men; you'll handle the money. I trust you'll be convincing in your handling of the women there. Also make sure to remove any sign of wealth. No allegiance whatsoever either. Don't look too neat. We must blend in."

She paused and sighed. "This is not the kind of place I would usually bring a child, but Daenora is nothing if not discrete. And the only other safe place is two days away; you'll all need sleep. What you have in the purse will be enough to make her helpful; and she'll know me."

She explained the rest; they would need to arrive separately. She gave specific instructions to Lienoril who did not look too happy about it; he would have been a difficult man to serve with. But she made certain he was very aware that his first duty would be to protect Nayaran in there. To Rhoe she gave a name to tell Daenora while Lienoril was paying; the woman would make sure that their rooms would be next to each other. Once she was done, she looked at them.

"Let's change and be on our way."

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 am

“You got these from Joham!?!” Rholarowyn protested as she made her third attempt to lace up the stiff, flowered corset without suffocating herself. Meanwhile Eari was having her own battle with a skirt that wouldn’t stay up.

“Here, try this.” The shieldmaiden handed an old leather strap over to her friend who managed to weave it into a makeshift belt.

“You need to lift up the left side of your skirt a little more and tie it up with those straps.” Eari directed, “It shows off a little more leg.”

“I think I am showing off more than enough especially now that I know these sleeves are not supposed to cover my shoulders or much of my chest for that matter.”

Finally the two warrior women emerged from the dense brush transformed into common tavern wenches. The two men and the boy who were sitting on the dry truck and engaged in conversation looked up to see Rholarowyn and Eari wearing skirts pulled up on one side, dropped shoulder blouses, and tight, front lacing corsets. While their outfits were slightly revealing they were not too risqué and both women carried the bundles which now held their traveling clothes.

Nayaran’s eyes were wide, “Mom, you look, well pretty.”

The two men beside him broke out in laughter and Rholarowyn finally cracked a soft smile. “Well none of you better get to used to this look as I don’t intend to wear this any longer than I have too!”

“You need to put up your hair,” Lienoril stated as he looked at the two. “It will be more convincing,” he went on, “everyone knows that once a man finds a women he likes there is a certain reward in loosening her curls.” He maintained with sly grin until he looked at the others. “I am just trying to be helpful!”

Eari dug a little deeper into the one pack and found two bone hairpins. A few minutes later both had their hair somewhat arranged off their shoulders and Lienoril’s approval.

Once the group was remounted they ventured through the forest until Earendil motioned everyone to stop. The sun was just starting to peak over the distance mountains illuminating the day. The two women dismounted and went over the plan one last time. Eari and Rholarowyn would enter first and establish contact with Daenora who would then help them blend in with the crowd of other women. Ryomer would enter just before midday and “purchase” his time with Eari. Lienoril, who would enter through the discrete entrance, would follow a few hours later with Nayaran and request a private “transaction” with Rholarowyn. This would be verified when the shieldmaiden confirmed with Daenora the secret name Eari had given her. The two “couples” would then be placed in two adjacent rooms for their protection.

After giving Nayaran a hug and kiss, Rholarowyn shot Lienoril a look. The man actually acknowledged her with a polite nod of his head. The boy would be safe, his eyes confirmed that.

The sun continued to rise the two women began walking down the trail leaving the men behind. The path winded through a lush green meadow and then crossed a large dirt road where the women turned right. Once they arrived at Danora’s establishment they climbed the solid wooden steps and entered through the employee’s entrance. It took only a moment for Danora, who was talking to a young, blonde haired women, to recognize Eari.

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm

She had not been too happy about Lienoril's comment but she knew him to be right. It was however a plague to have her hair higher up without revealing what she was. It was one thing to appear a wench but no one would believe an elf - a peredhel really but few were capable of making the difference - could be found at Daenora's. So she'd been extremely cautious to keep her ears hidden.

Hiding them also caused reminiscence of a past long gone; none in the White City had ever seen her ears before the end of the war. Not the Stewart or his sons, nor Rholarowyn; that secret she had kept for as long as she could. But it had also been something that fascinated Herger; the memory brought a smile on her face. She had tried to cut his hand that first time he tried to caress the tip of her ear. But she could not let her mind wander; they had something to do. And so they walked to Daenora's place; the men would bring the horses, these were too grand for women like the ones they were impersonating.

Inside Daenora saw her fast enough; thankfully the room was not crowded with customers yet. Too early for the past night's men to be up or for the next one's to be here. Within a moment the woman had crooked her arms around hers; it felt awkward. She did not like the woman; no she did not like the woman's business.

"It has been long Iris." Rholarowyn raised an eyebrow but said nothing; she would explain later. "How long? Two years?" Eari nodded. "What can I do for you today?"
Eari explained quickly and the woman beamed shrewdly; she took a look at the two friends with a professional and critical eye.
"You will blend in quite nicely. I am surprised Iris, I never thought you could." She shrugged; she had not meant to ever blend in such a place. "Although the two of you look too tense. But I am sure some men will want time with you before your... "patrons" arrive."
The peredhel raised an eyebrow.
"I'll make sure to let them know you are special merchandise; such beautiful girls as you go for a higher price. Let say..."
"Thirty silvers. All yours."

Daenora's eyes grew and her eyes lit up; there was greed there but also surprise. She had not expected that; paying as she did her girls, it would take her almost a month to get what the Gondorian woman was offering. She shook her head.
"I can't. You know that Iris. I will give you and your friend 10 silver back. I pay all my girls that way. It would raise suspicion amongst the other girls if I did not."

Eari repressed a shiver; she had known this to be the case. That was why she had precisely counted each silver in the purses she gave to Ryomer and Lienoril but that did not make it comfortable.
She sincerely believed there were other ways to make a living for a woman, even one of Daenora's age, but she knew she could not judge her. Daenora was taken by the Dunlendings before the war and a woman in enemy territory had to find ways to survive; that she and Rholarowyn would have chosen death over anything else did not mean the choice the woman made was less courageous.

Daenora helped them mingle amongst the other girls; the matron introduced them as two women in need of money in order to continue their journey to Rohan. They would be here a few days to make what they needed and then on their way. Eari added they had heard this was the best place to be because Daenora was known to be fair and gentle with her girls. Soon they mingled but Eari's mind was ever tense and looking for possible ways out if anything went awry. She imagined her friend's mind would be working in much the same ways but she could not be sure. And a small part of her was worried: what would happen when the men arrived or if some other customers had 30 silvers to spend?

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Even if the large room hadn’t been filled with the scent of stale smoke that clung to the air Rholarowyn still would have had trouble repressing the urge to gag upon entering the scene they were being led into. Older women, young women, some in more revealing outfits, some with and others without heavily made up faces, each one not far from the other but claiming their own territory. Along with a long, wooden bar and several tables for card games there were curtained booths in the more darkened areas. A lone woman sat upon a chair near the far end of the bar and sang an unknown tune accompanied by an out of tune lute.

“Joham agreed to this?” The shieldmaiden leaned in and whispered to her friend.

“For any who know of us this is the last place they would expect us to be.” Eari whispered back.

There was no doubt about that in Rholarowyn’s mind as she did her best to smile politely while they were introduced to the other women. Eventually she and Eari decided it best to split up but both kept an eye on each other. As the hours slipped by and the place began to fill, the shieldmaiden found her place in serving drinks. It was simple enough to engage with the masculine patrons but not linger too long to become one of interest, or at least that had worked up to now.

“What rhymes with splendor?” The man asked staring at his half written page as she placed his beer upon the table and picked up the two coins.

“Splendor?” she repeated unsure.

“Yes, yes, splendor...it has stumped me for days.” He finally answered looking up. “Oh I see,” he continued, “you are new here. Call me Keil” he reached out his hand in greeting.

“I…I am Rho…waine.” She answered surprised but extended her hand.

“Well Rhowaine what do you think? What word would partner well with splendor?”

“Well there is gender…slender…and tender.

“Oh yes…good, good!” He began jotting down words. “Of course there is also spender and lender.”

“What about surrender?” She continued.

The man stopped and looked up truly appreciative. “Would you please join me?” He then slid a couple of coins upon the table. “This is for you, a tip, if you would help me. You see I am a bard and I am working on my next presentation for the upcoming Bard Festival. Are your familiar with those?”

“No…no, I am not.” The woman lied as she covered the coins with her hand, discreetly placed them into her skirt pocket, and then slipped into the booth beside Keil making sure the front door was well in view. “But I will do my best to help you.”

The two engaged in rhyme and poetry for some time, both appearing oblivious to the situation around them until the wooded door opened and Ryomer entered. The moment the door was shut Rholarowyn’s attention turned back to the guest. “I really don’t think broom is the best word to use with consume…”

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm

She noticed Rhoe pick up a tray and serve before she sat in front of a man and engaged in a discussion. Good... So long as she acknowledged Lienoril when he came in, which she trusted her friend to do.

She felt entirely out of place and unlike Rhoe she did not find any pleasant character to speak with. She probably was not really enticing anyways; she was too tense. One of the "girls" approached her.
"You're new?"
She nodded.
"Never done that before have you."
"No," she admitted.
"It's alright. Most of us have never done it before they come here. I mean with the paying part."
She shrugged.
"Why are you doing this?" the woman asked.
"My children." It was not entirely false; she was here because she needed to get as fast as she could on her way to her family.
"They took them away from you?" the other woman's eyes bulged in shock. "I thought this was done under the reign of the King. Seems to me he should get himself back here and put some order. They say he lived on this side of the mountain before the war; and he was one of them rangers. They did not have much back then; more often than not they'd get kicked out of town, like ourselves girls. Do you think having a throne under his buttocks caused him to forget how it's like to be on this side?"
She chuckled despite herself. Highly unlikely that Elessar would forget a century worth of wanderings. Still, she answered.
"Maybe; what with them eating in silver spoons and all."
The woman laughed too.
"I am Brianna..."

They spoke for a while; the woman was in her mid-thirties, much like herself, but it seemed she'd lived a lifetime longer.
"So really, my sorry story is that my father was a good-for-nothing who only had the energy to produce too many children that he could not feed. So I tried to find a living but really there was not much I was good at. So I came here; at least Daenora is good, and I am learning my letters. I have one kid whose an apprentice with the smith; he's a b*stard but he's loved."
"Good. B*stard's just an ugly name. Loving your kids is important." Eari added earnestly as the door open to let in Ryomer.
"Well, if you want your children back, you'd better get to work. Might be the Rohir will want someone like you. Let's give some colours to your cheeks, you're pale as one of them Ringwraiths."

The woman laughed but she could not. Not about that. Still Brianna pinched her cheeks causing her to gasp slightly. They would be redder for sure. She also put her hands to her corset giving it some sort of snap that made her look a little more... awkward. If she had not had her cheeks reddened already she'd have now as she felt a blush creep against her neck.
"You can't be all prude and shy if you want your money Iris. Go and smile."
And with a pat at the bottom of her back, she pushed her towards Ryomer. Instinctively the peredhel stepped back. The woman crooked her arm under hers.
"I'll come with you... for the first step. He looks like a nice man; you can tell from their eyes. He will be gentle."

Ryomer turned at the time; she smiled. Who would have thought? She knew why she was doing this but that did not make it easier. The Rohirrim turned back to Daenora and whispered to her. She pretended not to hear; but the request was made and the price demanded. Ryomer looked satisfied and put down the purse.

"Iris, my love," Daenora said. "Come here."
Brianna pushed her again.
"Looks like you won't need me after all."
She walked to Daenora and the Rohirrim.
"Well Iris, you are in luck. This gentleman desires a few days with you. He has paid handsomely so I expect you to be to his entire satisfaction."
"Yes ma'am. Sir," she curtsied awkwardly, and saw the smirk on the man's face. He would regret that later.
"Your room is on the second floor to your right. A bath shall be brought to you in an hour."
A bath no less? Daenora sure knew how to keep appearances and would hopefully remain as discrete as ever.
Last edited by earendil81 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 pm

“Keil, I see all is going well here.” Daenora observed after she had sauntered over to the table.

“Yes, yes!” The short man chimed in grabbing the shieldmaiden’s had with true appreciation. “She is my muse!” he continued and spread out a table top of loose, scribbled upon pages. “Just look at all of these poems we have done. I shall be a Master Bard in no time!”

Daenora laughed. “Kiel you are the only man I know who comes to my establishment to find inspiration for your poem work, but your money spends the same…”

A large interior door suddenly opened and in walked Lienoril whose had definitely changed his appearance for the occasion. His dark, wavy hair was now combed and reached just below his shoulders and his beard was nicely trimmed. While his pants were still spotted from travel, he sported a clean brown shirt with long sleeves which was covered by an outer black tunic.

“Oh my!” Daenora grinned leaving the table and shot across the room in an instant. “…and you would be?” she asked with much charm.

“Who I am does not matter as much as why I am here.” The Gondorian answered matching her charm and gently placed a kiss on the back of her extended hand.

“Discretion…I like that in a man.” She then moved in slipping under his arm. “Well, as you can see companionship will not be lacking for you tonight.” Daenora then moved her face close to his and whispered. Slowly the two began to move around the room like dance partners in an odd dance. Meanwhile, he was looking at the women with the eye of one searching for the best avaliable as if they were an inventory of horse flesh. After each pass by a women Daenora would whisper into his ear.

“This is Keil our resident poet.” Daenora proclaimed when the two reached the table.

Unsure how to play the situation Rholarowyn attempted the shy approach and kept her eyes focused upon the loose pages of poetry upon the table.

“My dear…” Daenora exclaimed and Rholarowyn felt her face being lifted by the woman’s firm hand. “You are not being polite.”

“I am…sorry.” She spoke softly and then looked up. The look in Lieonril’s eyes caught her off guard. There was humor, kindness, and desire. She unexpectedly held his gaze until she truly felt a flush of heat run through her body. Quickly she looked down and spoke. “I am...Rhowaine.”

The name was spoken and a quick frown shot across Daenora’s face though it was quickly masked with more charm when the Gondorian whispered into the woman’s hear.

An awkward silence filled the air until Daenora announced, “Kiel I am afraid you are losing your poetry partner for the evening.”

The poet mumbled his disappointment as he pulled out a few more coins. “Here you are M’lady Rhowaine, for your stupendous help tonight.”

“Thank you.” She answered shyly sliding out from the booth and into the welcoming arm of Lienoril who then turned from the table with the shieldmaiden at his side. Coins for the transaction were exchanged and then together they crossed the room and exited out the same interior door the Gondorian had entered.

“What a waste!” Daenora sighed loud enough for Keil to hear here.

“You know what they say about the shy ones?” The Gondorian whispered mischievously as he released Rholarowyn’s long hair by removing the bone hair clasp as they were climbing the stairs. The woman held back the urge to shove her elbow into the man’s ribs.

“Do you know what they say about the men of the East?” she shot back in a soft voice. The man stopped at the front of the door. “What do they say?”

“An hour with a man from the East and a woman will want no one else.”

“Hmph…” Was his only reply as he opened the door and let the woman in.

Once the door was closed the blanket heap in the corner came to life.

“Mom.” Nayaran whispered softly and walked excitedly into her arms.

The two separated. Rholarowyn stood up slowly glanced around the room. There was a small bedlike structure in the corner, a chair in the other corner, and a small wooden table with a half filled lantern which barely illuminated the room. On the wall behind the bed and the chair was a window covered with a dark, dungy fabric.

“Supper will be up shortly.” Lienoril announced.

The shieldmaiden turned around to see the Gondorian stripped from the waist up. His skin was darkened from the sun and his chest covered with a light down of curly black hair.

“What are you doing!?!” she yelled out louder than she meant.

“This?” He stood proudly and looked down but when glancing up he saw something in her eyes. His voice then turned serious, “...here, this is for you.” In his hand was the clean brown shirt he had been wearing moments before. “You can’t be comfortable in that corset especially if you are going to get some sleep. I brought this for you to wear.”

The sheildmaiden took it carefully from his hand and noticed the slight pleasent scent of the nearby forest in the cloth.

“Nayaran come here.” Lienoril motioned to the boy who quickly obliged. The two turned their backs and Rholarowyn was able to remove the corset and skimpy shirt in privacy while Narayan told the Gondorian his favorite fable from the East.

“I am finished,” she finally said folding the items she’d removed and then rolling up the extra long sleeves as someone knocked on the door.

Lienoril, who was still shirtless, unlocked the door and retrieved the tray from the servant. Once the door was closed Rholarowyn relocked it and the tray of food was placed on the table.

“You two eat first.” He spoke as he began to push aside the pictures hanging on the wall above the table. Finally he removed one of the pictures completely exposing a small hole in the wall, though it was blocked. With his finger he pushed the barrier knocking a picture off the wall and onto the floor in the room on the other side.

“Ryomer…” he then whispered.

“Mom, why are there holes in the wall?” Nayaran asked innocently before taking a bite of bread. Sitting on the bed next to him his mother answered. “Well because...well...this is not the best...I will explain some of this later, just eat and then you can get some sleep."

“Ryomer…” The Gondorian whispered louder as a shadow from the other room appeared in front of the hole.

“Eari! Where is Ryomer?”

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 pm

"So it appears we are now on first name terms Iris."
She shot the man a dark glance; she did not like the name. Never really liked it, never would; it was the nickname one of the children at home had given her and everybody had used it. What they had never known was that he called her that to anger her and as a perversion of her real name.

The iris was a flower; flowers were meant to be beautiful but silent as every woman was supposed to be. He was the first boy she beat with a blunt sword when she was 6 years old while he was 9. And she got in a lot of trouble for it as she was not supposed to hold a blade. At the time she even wondered if sending her to Lothlorien was meant as a punishment in some way. Still Iris was a good name to hide behind. Better than her real name or the name she chose for herself almost 25 years before. And it had been the name she offered Herger when he first asked her who she was behind Eärendil.

"Well we would if I knew yours, Sir."
He brought his hand to her waist and his eyes twinkled as he said.
"Sir sounds right to me for now."

What a... she rolled her eyes. Rohirrim! Were they all the same?
"I am sure we will have a... good time together my dear."
She glanced back to notice Brianna at the edge of the stairs; she met her gaze... the woman had an encouraging look and smiled. She returned the smile with the slightest shrug. The woman nodded and walked away.

Part of her body still turned towards the lower level, Eari stifled a gasp as Ryomer pulled her up and against the wall. He brought his lips to her neck causing her heart to stop a beat. She bit her lips until she tasted blood. It seemed the audience was not going to stop at Brianna; and Ryomer had noticed the girl coming out of the room before she had. The girl did not so much look at them but not doing anything would have caught her attention.

A door disappeared behind her and she almost fell through into the room. Catching herself not to fall and stepping away from the Rohirrim she finally breathed.
"I am sorry," Ryomer said as he closed the door.
Part of her was fighting the urge to hurt him, another knew very well that he had just saved their charade. That did not make it easier.
"Don't." That's all she had the strength to say.
But it appeared the man was just as embarrassed as she was.

They settled in the room without a word; it was sparse. But what the establishment was meant for did not require more than the bed and small desk - if you could call it that - and a chair. Soon she was rid of the corset, only keeping the blouse that she had worn underneath and the skirts. At least she could breathe normally.

Too soon, a knock came at the door; the bath. She moved fast into the bed, pulling the pin out of her hair so that it tumbled onto her shoulders and down her back. Ryomer took his time though, removing his shirt and untying his trousers slightly as he tousled his own blond mane into something that looked more the part. He opened the door an inch.
"What is it?"
"Your bath milord."
"Ah magnificent."

The bath was brought in along with some panel meant to hide the man. Soon the girls - not really servants, all of them were sharing the chores - were out and Ryomer retreated to privacy. She heard the sigh of contentment as splashes revealed he had plunged himself into the warm water. The man was whistling soon, happy as... a fish in water really. Then... a plunk caught her attention. Instinctively she moved down to grab the dagger that she'd left in her boot. But then a whisper came through the wall.
"Ryomer"

She recognized the voice and walked to other side of the room; a picture had fallen explaining the sound she'd heard.
"Eari, where is Ryomer?"
She laughed slightly.
"Getting off the grime of the road."
"What?"
"He is having the luxury of a bath and enjoying it very much if his humming is any indication."

She would have given much to see Lienoril's face on the other side but the holes were not wide enough for her to actually take a good look, so she had to imagine.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:23 pm

“He has a lot of scars…” the boy whispered to his mom as they both sat on the bed eating the bread and stew. “…like dad did.”

“He does.” Rholarowyn answered quietly while staring at the older as well as the newly healed wounds Lienoril’s upper body revealed. Automatically she evaluated which weapons he had been subjected too.

The Gondorian turned and pretended not to notice the staring pair. “It appears Ryomer is the only one among us who is going to get an actual bath out of all of this.” His voice held the hint of sarcasm as he began to serve up his share of the dinner. Finding an open spot on the floor he then relaxed down onto the hard wooden surface. As they ate, all remained silent, which only amplified the background noises of music, laughing, boasting, and the sounds of various types of pleasure.

“Did you bring the book?” Rholarowyn asked the man whose eyes were now closed as his back was propped up against the wall.

“It’s over there.” He replied pointing to his small leather bag without opening his eyes. Rholarowyn placed the remaining dishes back upon the tray and began her search through the worn leather satchel.

“Lien…” came the whisper from the hole. The Gondorian did not move.

The shieldmaiden flipped through the book. “Nayaran, I want you to read these five pages tonight.” The boy nodded as his mother handed him the opened book and moved the lantern closer to the bed.

“Lien!” The whisper was louder.

Slowly the dark haired man rose from the floor and placed himself near the hole in the wall. Rholarowyn soon joined him.

“How was the bath?” Lienoril asked mocking his clean friend.

“A good bath, a little ale, the company of a good woman… I’d say it’s going to be a good night!” Neither the Gondorian woman nor the man saw what happened next but Ryomer presence was quickly replaced by Eari.

“I hope that leaves a nice bruise!” Lienoril grinned.

The four adults surrounding the small hole got lost in their discussion regarding the next steps of their journey until Nayaran voiced his concern…

“Mom! I think he’s hurting her…no, wait I think she is…”

A single expletive could be heard by all from Lienoril but the sheildmaiden moved first.

With the gentleness of a falling boulder, the shieldmaiden lunged across the room and tackled her son down onto the bed.

To Rholarowyn’s horror she had turned around to see her son standing, tiptoed, upon the bed with some frumpy picture lying haphazardly upon the bedcover. Unbeknown to anyone, Nayaran had found yet another hidden hole in the opposite wall and had been peering through it.

“I told you to read the five pages!” Her anger could not be missed.

“I did!!” The boy affirmed justly pushing his mother off him and away. It was the first time Lienoril, who was now standing above the pair, had seen any spark of defiance or fight in the boy. The woman shot up from the bed and began to pace the room like a caged animal, ranting silently, while she raked her fingers through the long tangles of hair. Lienoril replaced the picture upon the wall and then picked up the Eastron book which had fallen upon the floor.

“You can read this?” He asked the young boy who was now sitting like stone, arms crossed righteously, and tucked into the corner where the bed and two walls met. ‘Eru, have mercy!’ Lienoril thought to himself as he placed the book back on the bed next to the silent boy. He then reached out and swiftly grabbed the arm of the woman who had just turned recklessly into him. “Rholarowyn!”

The firm grip on her arm was all she needed, she swung around with fists ready but with no weapons she was still no match against his sheer strength. Within moments she found herself pinned against the wall, chest to chest, with his one hand covering her mouth and the other forcing her arm awkwardly behind her back. Their eyes focused only the others; one dominant, the other unable to move.

“Woman!” He said loud and purposeful. “This was not what I paid for!” He tightened the force on her arm as she physically protested while he whispered, “Stop…you are not helping yourself…or your son.” Lienoril held her firmly until he finally felt the tension in her muscles relax and saw the anger in her eyes subside just a little. “We are on the same side, alright?” He waited until she acknowledged him with a small nod. “We will deal with what just happened alright?” Again he waited until she acknowledged him. “And you will remain calm until we figure out what to do next, yes?” After her third nod Lienoril slowly, cautiously, released his hold on both her arm and her mouth then took two steps back.

Rholarowyn maintained her promised composure long enough for Nayaran to come running with open arms and into his mother’s embrace, “I am sorry…I just wanted to see what was on the other side.”

“I know,” she replied still flustered, “we will talk about this…later.” Her son nodded in agreement.

The Gondorian watched the two and was thankful that the boy hadn’t interfered which meant he had truly understood what they had discussed earlier in the day.

“I think some sleeping herbs might be in order.” Lienoril finally spoke up.

“Agreed.” Rholarowyn forced a slight smile and stood up. “We’ll need some hot water though.”

“You’ll need to go get that.” The Gondorian stated as he examined the woman’s appearance noting the one positive of their recent tussle was her slightly flushed and ragged look. “Mess up your hair a little more in the back, good, now drape my shirt off one of your shoulders.” Rholarowyn complied. “Alright, once you are in the hall, tell the servant girl that you need to get hot water and that she needs to take you to the kitchen. Do not let her out of your sight and be sure that all they heat up is water. Here take these…” he then handed her two small coins, “…be sure to hand these to the cook once you have the pot in your hands. Then come straight back to the room.”

The shieldmaiden waited until Lienoril unlocked the door with the key and then slipped out into the hallway.

“Nayaran, come here.” The Gondorian said motioning him to the hole in the wall. Once there Ryomer and Eari heard the boy state “You must hide out in Grown-up Party Houses a lot.”

A snicker or two could be heard from the other side of the wall. “Grown up Party Houses?” Ryomer’s voice asked humorously.

“And what would you name this establishment to our young friend here?”

Ryomer chuckled from the other side. “Oh no, Grown up Party House is just fine…yes Nayaran, Lienoril has spent many a days “hiding out” in Grown up Party Houses!”

It was an odd action handing the cook two coins for boiling a small pot of water; however, Rholarowyn had safely completed each action Lienoril had ordered up to now. With no acknowledgement or reply the hardened cooked with her grayish hair pulled back too tight, slipped the two coins into her dingy apron pocket and turned away. The shieldmaiden and the servant girl also turned only to be stopped by a taller, red headed woman who was clearly an established worker with seniority.

“Well aren’t you a surprise?” Her voice feigned friendship as she took a good long look at Rholarowyn. The full bodied woman then reached out touching the cloth of Lienoril’s shirt.

Nothing was said as the shieldmaiden grabbed the woman’s hand and gripped it tightly until the shirt was freed from the intruder’s grasp, though mentally her mind raced.

“You’re a strong one…got fight too…” her voice oozed with artificial sweetness. “Still, not his usual choice.”

Inwardly, Rholarowyn breathed a sigh of relief. It was not she whom this woman recognized.

“Run along,” the woman then excused the servant girl who had accompanied Rholarowyn up to this point. Hesitantly the young woman looked back to the shieldmaiden.

“GO!” The red head ordered and the servant girl then scampered off. “There, much better now we can discuss things alone.”

“Discuss? I have nothing to discuss!” Rholarowyn snapped back.

“Discuss was perhaps not the best word…let me say I have a few things to share…yes, share.”

Rholarowyn turned and began to leave the kitchen. “I need to get back.”

“That is not in your best interest or the interest of you and your, guest!”

The sheildmaiden stopped.

“Now come with me…” The woman continued, “…and I will share with you some of the darker desires of Lienoril’s heart.”

“Lienoril?” Rholarowyn pronounced his name slowly.

“He didn’t tell you his name?”

“No.” Rholarowyn continued with the charade.

“Not to worry my dear, he never does. Now come with me.”

Too much time had passed when Rholarowyn finally returned to the room. Nayaran had fallen asleep on the bed and Lienoril was sitting back in the wobbly, wooden chair sharpening his razor sharp knife for distraction.

“You’ve been recognized!” Rholarowyn spoke up directly while he relocked the door and placed the cold pot of water upon the table.

"By Who?” His voice was awkwardly calm.

“A woman from your past, here…” The shieldmaiden held out her hand which contained a once neatly folded note.

The Gondorian took the letter and moved over by the lantern. Rholarowyn remained where she was, watching. He read the letter once then appeared to read it again. Only when he was finished did he lift his head to gaze out the window.

“Problem?” She asked already know the answer.

The man crossed the room. “Ryomer.” He whispered

“Yes?” Came the familiar voice from the other side

“Ryomer, I cannot stay here.” He then looked at the shieldmaiden but his eerie voice was still directed to the Rohirrim.

“We have to split up…”

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm

She heard Ryomer get out of the bath even though she was concentrating on the next steps. She glanced up; at least he had put some pants on. But he was wearing no shirts; her eyes moved to his face. With his hair wet and hanging about his face he looked to be in his mid twenties. A young man... younger than Lienoril to be sure; but the Gondorian did carry some blood of Numenor so it was always hard to know for certain.

He was of an age with some of the men she trained last she was in the White City in that capacity - almost ten years already - children disappointed to have missed the war and almost praying for some skirmishes in the wild to play the tales of Prince Faramir of Ithilien or Elessar the King. Still he completely deserved the punch in his shoulder and he rubbed it off during their entire discussion, until Nayaran called them to another sort of trouble. Anger ran through her when she heard Lienoril's words to her friend. She tensed, but Ryomer's hand on her shoulder reminded her that it had been her plan to begin with.

She bit her lips when she heard Nayaran qualify this place of Grown-up Party House. It was a bad idea, the child should never be here. And though Ryomer chuckled as he revealed part of Lienoril's past, she found herself wondering what the King thought when he sent them to the North. She looked up at Ryomer a question in her eyes, but he shrugged. A good man. Whatever it was that brought Lienoril to these houses of pleasure it was his tale to say. She could not reconcile Bandoril's temper with that of his brother. They seemed so different. Still after he sent Rholarowyn away he appeared to be taking care of Nayaran.

"You hurt me," Ryomer whispered at one point.
"Really?" she asked with fake innocence. "But milord you asked for it. Rough is what you should expect with one such as me."
He chuckled.
"How in the world do the people think that elves are wise and calm?"
Her turn to chuckle.
"They haven't met me I guess. To be fair, in the reckoning of my father's people, I am but a child still; only my mortal lineage makes me a woman grown. So I would imagine you get the mischievousness of a child in their teens."

He shrugged and was about to reply when a hushed call came through the wall.
"Ryomer, I cannot stay here. We have to split up."
She stood up in shock. Again the Rohirrim silenced her with a glance.
"Fine when? Where do we meet?"

They agreed to meet South of Tharbad. Ryomer and she would remain for a couple of days as planned to avoid suspicion. Lienoril would leave, claiming "Rhowain" for his own... Whatever had transpired downstairs, it would endanger them and it was the best plan. But the Gondorian seemed not willing to speak of it.
"Rholarowyn," she called softly at her friend. She pushed the small radiated star of the Dunedain through the small hole in the wall. "If anything happens show this to the local authorities of wherever it is Lienoril is bringing you. A Ranger will be called; tell them my name. They'll keep you safe until we arrive."

It was but a small protection but one she felt she owed to her friend. And the King would be alerted if one of this star should be appearing on the South Road. He knew it was the road she had taken and the one they would travel to get to Minas Tirith.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Miles of land now separated the trio from the Daenora’s establishment while the crisp air of night surrounded them. The tall trees rose up to the star studded sky which was slowly giving way to the high bank of clouds rolling in. Lienoril was leading while Rholarowyn and her son followed riding double on the large black mare. The boy rode in front surrounded by his mother whose hands held the reins loosely. Only the soft sounds of hoof beats walking a quick pace on the narrow dirt path could be heard. The group had stopped only once allowing the shieldmaiden redress into her traveling clothes; then she had retaken her sword, quiver, and bow.

Daenora had been instrumental in aiding their departure. First by distracting the red headed woman with a client, and then helping to get Nayaran outside of the building unnoticed. Lienoril did “claim” Rhowaine for his own along with the announcement that she would make a suitable servant back home. Daenora was paid off for her additional help though to everyone else it appeared to be the negotiated price for buying the woman.

The rhythm of the horse was soothing for the shieldmaiden as they continued south on the narrow trail. The star of the Dunedain was tucked safely within the pocket her tunic reminding Rholarowyn of Eari’s words and the final half hour in the room, ‘If anything happens show this to the local authorities of wherever it is Lienoril is bringing you. A Ranger will be called; tell them my name. They'll keep you safe until we arrive.’ The sheildmaiden had taken the small token, gave her thanks, and promised her friend they would soon see each other again.

After waking the boy, Lienoril had pulled the shieldmaiden aside while Nayaran went to the hole to say his good-byes to his new friends.

“Did you read the note?” Lienoril whispered to Rholarowyn near the lantern. His eyes were clearly distressed. She remained quiet a second too long. “Do you know what it reads!?!" He demanded still trying to keep his voice down.

“Yes…I know what it says.”

The man waited.

“I know what it says because I wrote it.” Rholarowyn quietly stated. “She cannot write...”

This new revelation sent another chill up his spine. “What else did she say…” He insisted while shifting his gaze to the window which framed the darkened sky beyond, “…what else did she tell you?”

The shieldmaiden glanced over to her son who was now slipping something through the hole and then turned back to the Gondorian keeping her voice low. “She said many things…some things…they may or may not be true…”

The man’s countenance grew rigid. His eyes turned on her.

"Look," the woman held her ground. "I do not understand the meaning of what she had me write and as for what you desire in the darkess of night with another, well, I would have rather not been told."

The paper crumpled in his grasp as his enragement grew. His voice then turned icy. “Stay here!”

Lienoril, still shirtless, swiftly exited the room and once on the other side of the door he took the time to lock it from the outside. While he was gone Rholarowyn redressed into the revealing shirt and corset and repacked what few items in the room would be leaving with them.

The Gondorian returned sometime later and the plan was methodically explained and then executed. Lienoril had not spoken to her since that discussion and had not spoken at all since the stables and then it was only to bark orders to ensure their immediate departure.

Now they rode on, silently, through the night.

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Ryomer had taken her place by the wall after Rholarowyn retreated. The Rohirrim was talking, admittedly to Nayaran but what she was listening to, what she heard was the conversation between her friend and Lienoril.

She was not too happy to be eavesdropping but she needed to make sure the Gondorian was not threatening the shieldmaiden. She was intent on what the two adults of the other room were exchanging so she did not see Ryomer until he stood right in front of her and she started slightly. She raised a finger so he would not talk her head tilted slightly as she continued listening. When she heard the man go out and lock the door she turned to the Rohirrim.

"What?" she asked. The man's eyebrow was raised in an inquiring way.
"What were you doing?"
She shrugged.
"Making sure Lienoril was not hurting Rhoe."
"You?..." he paused. "Of course, you could hear them." She could not tell whether he was awed or upset. Probably a little bit of both; she was somehow spying on a man he trusted. But she would not offer an apology; it seemed Lienoril had a dark past behind him and whether it was part of an act or not he threatened Rholarowyn only a few days before.

Ryomer moved away from her and sat in the small chair that was in the room. Whether he was angry at her, again she could not tell. But none of them said a word for a while; she knew it would not do and that some sort of noise would soon be expected from them. But not until Nayaran was away; dissembling was all fine but the child should not be exposed more than necessary. And since they were leaving...

Lienoril came back and spoke a few words to Ryomer before the three of them disappeared and she was left alone with the man of Rohan. The man looked at her with a smirk.
"So what are we to do?"
She shrugged.
"Play dice?"
He laughed.
"You really are not..."
"Don't say it; I know... what did he say to you?"
"Who?"
"Nayaran, what did he say?"
"You did not hear?"
"No, I was..."
"Listening to something else," he completed. "Well he gave me this. But I don't know what that is."

The man opened his hand on a gem, which blue colour was clear, almost translucent. She caught her breath.
"May I?" the peredhel asked extending her fingers towards the gem.
He nodded and lay it in her palm.

She brought it closer to her eyes turning it this way or the other and smiled.
"What? What is it?"
"Well, it is an elf stone but I haven't seen the likes of it in a while. Did he say where it came from?"
"Mirkwood."
"Eryn Lasgalen? That would explain it. Well it is interesting; that little thing may have something to do with the strength he has shown since we started this trip."

The Rohirrim's face was a mask of incomprehension.
"This stone holds some special properties; it shields and protects the bearer. It is also meant to be calming and soothing among other things." She laughed softly. "That is a mighty gift he was offered this child; I am not certain he realized it. But if he did, he trusts you well."

She took the man's hand and closed it on the gem she had returned to him. She looked at him and said.
"Whatever doubt nags at you, this will clear. Whatever ideals you pursue, this will show you the way to it, if you let it. It is a powerful stone; I am surprised the elves would part with it. Well no I should not; they would have felt the child's future may be troubled."

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby earendil81 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm

If she was completely honest, Eari enjoyed Ryomer’s company. It was something at once entirely familiar and peculiar; two soldiers on a mission and trusting each other to certain duties. Granted she was not looking like a warrior at this time but they had to rely on each other to make sure that this worked and they raised no suspicion.

Only she felt the young man was enjoying too much; especially that morning after their friends departed – something they had not planned – and she was meant to fetch breakfast after what was supposed to have been an… interesting night. At least she didn’t have to pretend that she loved it. Still she spent some time to make sure her hair was messed up yet not showing the tip of her ears. As she opened the door, the Rohirrim who had sat on the bed jumped and grabbed her arm as he said loud enough for the entire neighbourhood to hear – or so it felt.
“Lovely Iris, don’t go just yet. I have another type of appetite…”
She blushed; it was perfect for the act anyway but this hit a little too close to home. It made her think of Herger and some of his outrageous comments; how it had unnerved her when he treated her like a woman and not like she wanted him to. She missed him and so there was no pretend when she shrugged Ryomer’s hand away. She was not here to stay; it was only a means to an end.
“But my Lord, you can’t satisfy these appetites without sustaining yourself with some actual food.”
He stood stunned for a moment before laughing as a man would when he realized that the little shy bird was not so shy after all. He was good at this; maybe too good.

It happened to be a good idea to be loud for there were a few people in the corridor; one brown haired girl smiled to her knowingly. Satisfied customers came back and paid good money. She ran to the kitchen where the cook gave her some hearty food; well more for Ryomer than herself, but there was no need to say they would share. She whispered a quick thank and turned around.
“So it was not terrible, was it?”
She smiled at Brianna; she shrugged.
“I take it he was kind.” She nodded. “Kinder than your children’s father?”
She flinched; she guessed why the woman was doing this but still.
“It’s not the same.” She whispered. “I don’t love him and I am only doing this to get my children back.”
The woman crossed her arms.
“Keep that in mind child.” She would have chuckled at the term but the truth was that she was a child in this place and Brianna was the experienced one. And she was imparting some of her wisdom on her. “Keep your goal in mind. Even when they are not kind but even more so when they are because they could make you forget it. Some girls are still here who could have gone a long time ago. It is too late for them now, but you… you don’t belong here.”
“I won’t forget.” She said firmly. “In fact, I don’t intend to stay too long…”
“It will force you not to get attached to anyone,” the woman completed. “That is the right thing to do. Now go back to him. Maybe he’ll give you something extra.”

She went back upstairs. The girl who had smiled to her was coming out of the room she shared with Ryomer. She was carrying some buckets of water.
“Is he having another bath?” she asked with genuine surprise.
The girl smirked. “No I was emptying the one he took last night. Ya got lucky, that ya did. Been a while I seen such a handsome one. We usually get them men who are drunk or old. You new, what d’ya got that we don’t. You a lady, fallen on hard times?”
“I’m no lady, believe me.” That was true.
“Well your eyes are peculiar; never seen the likes o’ them before. Anyway if he’s in for some more gals call me.”
She gasped slightly. The other rolled her eyes. “Ya new at this right? Some of them like to have more than one gal at a time ya know. And with one as handsome as he is, I’d come alright.”
“Aye of course. If he asks.” What else was she supposed to say?
“Still I say ya’re lucky. Enjoy it. Daenora she makes sure they don’t hurt us alright but some of them they just well, you’ll see.”
“I’ll keep it in mind, thank you.” She pushed the door with her back to enter. She started slightly as Ryomer grabbed the plate from her with a huge grin on his face.
“See, I am handsome and you’re lucky.”
She rolled her eyes; a child really. She poked his chest and pointed at the table without a word. As she closed the door she said – as much for the people outside as for him.
“I brought you something for your appetite my Lord.”
He whipped around almost dropping the mug he had held before laughing.
“Well, who would have thought? I never imagined you’d enjoy that.” Double meaning; in case someone was eavesdropping.

She didn’t answer listening to what was happening on the other side of the door; the sound of the girl’s footsteps was receding and most of the other patrons were still snoring. No one would be listening.
“I don’t. But I know what is at stakes. I chose this place right?”
“Yes, and I wonder why. You don’t blend in at all, although that corset…” he smiled broadly.
“Shut up or I’ll hit you. I’m serious.” He made her think of Herger; totally outrageous and yet rarely in a mean way. “What is it with you Rohirrim? You’re incorrigible. Can’t take anything seriously.”
“Oh I can take things seriously,” he said pulling out some cards out of his bag. Cards it was then. And a loud game too. Oh he was having far too much fun, but she could not begrudge him. They were stuck in this room until the late morning and then again later; he might as well have fun with the act. At least he would get to go outside as he needed to take care of the horses and she’d have to mingle again. She hated being enclosed in such a tiny space; she was made to be outside. She was “more right” in the outdoors. Two days… only two days.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 pm

The rain pounded and the wind howled outside of the abandoned stoned building. Inside the Lienoril, Rholarowyn, and Nayaran all gathered warmth beside a small fire whose flames eagerly lick the fresh wood which had just been placed inside the dingy fireplace. The group was weary having traveled over half the night, just as they had the previous evening due to their early departure from Daenora’s establishment. Rholarowyn and Nayaran had slept from morning to early afternoon in a secluded wooded area while Lienoril kept watch, yet the threatening skies drove the group to leave early, well before nightfall.

The Gondorian had led them knowingly, determined to reach this destination. No reason or explanation was given, in fact the man had remained silent expect when he needed to give some direction or make a request for an important item.

The condition of the building was surprising in that the roof was still well intact. Wooden shutters had been hanging in various states outside the window openings, but being there were only 3 windows, repairs had been easy enough and now the unprotected openings were shielded. The room itself was no larger than a 12 x12 foot stall, and what furniture had been left was now chopped up or had already been fed to the fire. The thick door of wood was set back into place with a few heavy items leaning against it to secure its ability not to move.

Nayaran slept soundly on his bed roll while Rholarowyn sat upright waxing her bow string. Lienoril sat upon his cloak and was propped up by the side wall. It was his turn to sleep yet the man insisted he wasn’t tired. Instead he sat starring off into space. The shieldmaiden had long given up on trying to prod him into any type of conversation so when the sound of his deep voice finally articulated a complete sentence Rholarowyn was jolted out of her own inner thoughts.

“If this doesn’t let up, we will need to stay here for another night.”

“Perhaps it will blow out by morning.” She replied, once looking up.

“Perhaps…”

Through the dim flicker of light she turned to see the man’s face. His eyes held a story and while the details were unknown the shieldmaiden recognized the look. Their eyes met for a moment and then the Gondorian moved away from the wall, stood, and stepped towards the fire. Kneeling down, he poked the fresh embers and added another small plank of the table.

“I could make you a sleeping tea.” The woman spoke to the man’s back whose gaze remained fixed upon the newly growing flames.

“From the East?” He asked with slight distain.

“From Mirkwood!” She answered abruptly.

Neither moved for some time until Lienoril let out a deep sigh, turned, and retook his place sitting upon the floor. Once his back was resting against the wall he glanced down at his hands and continued.

“Rholarowyn…” he finally said and then looked up at her, “I’m sorry…I’m in no position to judge you.”

His apology was more shocking then his confession, yet the woman remained still and watched as the Gondorian then closed his eyes and leaned his head back. It too was now resting upon the hard stone wall. He did not move as she began to heat water and measure out the correct proportion of herbs and powders into a mug. Once the tea was prepared she walked over to the man and knelt down beside him. His hands rested upon his bent knees and gently she placed one hand upon his. It was cold to the touch.

“Here, this will help.” She offered.

Surprisingly the man did not pull his hand away. He did, however, look skeptically at steaming mug in her other hand.

“It will help,” she said again then continued, “drink this and you will sleep soundly… you will be free of the nightmares.”

His pained eyes looked to hers again and when he finally took the mug, she rose and returned to her previous place upon her sleeping roll. With her bowstring waxed, the shieldmaiden took out a few unfletched arrow shafts and began to work. Some time passed before he spoke again. His voice slower, more relaxed, “thank you.”

Rholarowyn looked up and smiled slightly, “you are welcome.”

Lienoril raised the empty mug up as if he was sharing a toast and then set it down upon the floor. Within a few minutes of lying down, the shieldmaiden could hear the deep even rhythm of his breathing.

Now it was her turn to keep watch over them…

Rholarowyn

Postby prmiller » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 am

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!
Variations on a theme: winter here in Calgary...and elsewhere?

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Rholarowyn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 pm

The bleak, grey, light of morning had come yet the rain’s persistence continued. After Nayaran had risen, he kept himself busy with reading, writing, and then helped his mother with some minor food preparation. Rholarowyn had checked on the horses which had taken refuge in what remained of a livestock shelter, but the place was stocked with plenty of dried grass. Obviously this was some place known to Lienoril and perhaps others, who did their best to keep most of it somewhat functional for times of need.

It was almost evening and while Rholarowyn and Nayaran were playing a game from the East, that the dark haired man finally woke. His sleep had been restful and the woman noticed immediately that his demeanor was more at ease. After returning from a brief trip outside, Lienoril took a seat next to the others and observed as the game progressed.

“This is the horse, and here the camel,” Nayaran quickly spoke up eagerly pointing to different pieces. “We are playing the quiet game right now.”

Rholarowyn laughed slightly. “We didn’t want to wake you.”

The man nodded as he picked up one of the pieces from Nayaran’s win pile. “Sheep ankle?”

“Yes!” The boy answered proudly. “It has four sides, and each side means a different animal, see? Horse, goat, camel, or sheep.”

“You have quite a collection.” Lienoril replied after he examined each side and then returned the piece back to the pile.

“I had to leave most of it at home…the one back in the desert.” He finished, looking up at Rholarowyn who saw the faint reflection of sadness in his dark eyes.

“Can you teach me the game?” The Gondorian asked purposely changing the subject.

“Mom! Can I teach him the other game?”

“If he wishes to learn, though go easy on him.” She winked back at her son and then rose to her feet. She left the small shelter with the sound of Narayan explaining the rules.

“We scoop them all up and then toss them into the air.” The scattering of ankle bones hit the floor. “I’ll start, now here are two camels…”

The crisp outside air greeted the woman as she moved well beyond the voices and over to the horses. Threatening clouds still remained but since the rain had stopped the mare and gelding eagerly greeted her only to be disappointed in that she offered no treats. Resting her arms upon the fence, Rholarowyn gazed off into the distance though she focused on nothing but her inner thoughts. She raked her memory regarding tales of Bandoril’s younger brother, her current guide and protector.

“No you can’t do that!” Nayaran voice insisted as he took one of the bones out of the man’s hands. “That was a sheep and a goat, you have hit two of the same remember?”

The Gondorian laughed, “I don’t see how you tell them apart!”

“Look closely, at the ridges, see? Try again.”

Lienoril, found two bones whose upturned sides matched. With a flick of this thumb he did his best to shoot one bone into the other, but instead it missed and quickly rolled itself under Nayaran’s leg.

“My turn now!” The young boy exclaimed after retrieving the wayward playing piece. With ease he flicked the remaining bones into the matching partners and easily won the round. “Want to play again?”

“Sure,” he replied wondering how much better he’d do if it were for money. Some time passed as the man continued to focus. Just as he was starting to get some skill the young boy somberly asked, “Do you have nightmares too?”

Lienoril, suddenly feeling vulnerable, stopped aiming, sat upright, and looked at the boy.

“Last night,” Nayaran began, “my mom, she made you the special tea.”

“No, I haven’t had any for some time now…” His voice trailed off as he pushed down that rising, fearful feeling of recklessness.

“I know,” the young voice interjected. “She won’t have any for along time too, but they always come back.” He then turned and easily tossed up the handful of bones, letting them scatter out upon the floor. “Do you want to go first this time?”

“Why?” The Gondorian heard himself ask aloud.

“Because I went first last time.”

“No,” Lienoril began again, “Why…” he hesitated then almost daring himself he continued, “Why the nightmares?”

Nayaran stopped examining the various positions of the ankle bones and looked up into the man’s eyes. He now examined the man’s face just as his elf friend in Mirkwood had taught him. There was a difference between true sincerity and a false one, he’d been told many times. Concern for others drove one; personal gains for ones own self drove the other. Mindiral, one of the elves from Mirkwood, had taken quite quickly to Nayaran, and the boy to him, as soon as the Westron woman, her son, and young daughter had been sent to them for protection. He had done his best to prepare the young Eastron boy for a life in the West, even giving him a cherished aquamarine stone, to aid in what was sure to be a life filled with unknown opportunities and great challenges.

“It is not for me to say.” The young boy finally answered remembering Mindiral’s words that if he could not discern a person’s intentions, it was best not to add anything more.

The boy’s answer sounded like the words of another, almost scripted, but the Gondorian respected their intent. “Alright, I will go first this time.”

To the young boy’s relief no more questions were asked and the two continued to play until Rholarowyn reentered with a handful of carrots and a wild onion. A short time later they were all eating a stew of rehydrated meat and fresh vegetables beside an ever dwindling loaf of hard bread. It was during this time that Rholarowyn and Lienoril decided that it was best to move on. The worst of the rain had passed and if they pushed hard they could reach the farm of Lienoril’s sister within the next two days.

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm

She had spent the entire night thinking of how she would play her need for an exit of this place... There was no easy way. Too many people in the house - well in truth only three beyond Daenora but that could three creating trouble - knew of her. And if they did it this way it could mean there was no coming back here for her or Ryomer. And he may not like the idea at all; in fact in this she would need his opinion for it would be a difficult one to play out if they did not fully agree on it. She was not certain but she had not been able to think of anything else that satisfied her yet. Maybe discussing it with him would bring up some other possibilities.

In truth she was starting to feel tired; it was almost a fortnight since she last had an actual rest and it was long even for her. But she would not sleep until they were out of here and beyond Tharbad. So when Ryomer woke she sat on the chair; it had taken some convincing for him to take the bed but she could not sleep. Sure she had told him she did not need the sleep but it would do no good if both of them were too exhausted to think straight in this charade.

"Ryomer I have had an idea for our exit but I need to know that you can do it if that is what it takes." she paused. "Truly, I don't know if it is feasible." She shook her head; she was no longer used to devising complicated plans in life threatening situations. Not that it was something she was likely to ever forget, but definitely something that she had not done in a long time. The most devious part of her days lately had been to catch her three years old before she could exit the house and climb the fence into the horse field. Granted Naeriel was extremely sly but she was no Easterling.

She went on explaining to the Rohirrim what dilemma she was facing. There were two possible scenarios for what she intended them to do. Iris needed a reason not to stay but one person at least knew she was here because she had no money to keep her children and they had been taken away, which meant that potentially everybody knew that she needed to get the money before she could get her kids back. She could not be sure Brianna would not have talked. So she had to be thrown out or to feel so threatened that she had to leave even though it meant she would not have enough money. So either Ryomer was going to prove a shadier character than he had been or she would have to attack him, steal some of his belongings and run. The problem in both cases was that the "culprit" risked being caught and lynched.

She was honest with him; she did not believe the first was possible because he had not played that part and he was more likely not to be able to escape, whereas she could slash him, run with what she could and steal the horse away from the stables escaping faster than they could stop her. Who would care about a whore going away with another one's money? And if someone asked why she ran, he could always offer the reason that he had wanted to do something more... exotic... and Iris had been scared and afraid that she was expected to do it anyway because she was paid for it, she had ran away. He would appear as a benevolent man who had enough money to let a horse be taken away or confident enough that the horse would be recognized or reclaimed. She even mentioned that if anyone decided to organize a posse and hunt her she would be in an even more difficult position.

"Neither plan is perfect I know. But unless you can find something else... that's what we'll need to do. What do you say?"

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Ryomer was still trying to grasp Eari’s words as he sat up on the bed and let his bare feet touch the cold floor. He reached for the brown, long sleeve shirt draped over the foot of the bed and slowly put it on. Rubbing his eyes he then looked up at the women and could see the distress etched upon her face. After considering her words, he rose and walked to the window. A light but steady mist was falling from the morning sky. Quietly he turned around.

“Earendil, the others had to leave at Lienoril’s initiation and I think it would look too suspicious if I were to be the cause of our early departure as well, especially since you and Rholarowyn came in together. Your second idea is more convincing one though I don't like the idea of being slashed. Perhaps a nice bruise here,” he pointed to his clean shaven cheek, "...and a slash through my shirt would be convincing enough, though I need to be delayed at least long enough for you to get away and then for me to follow.”

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 am

She might have laughed when the Rohirrim mentioned preferring a "nice" bruise to an everlasting "nasty" scar. But she was very aware that even though the most hideous scars were those that left no trace, one that marked your body was sometimes a constant reminder of those that did not.

She knew he was right; they needed to convince the others and they did not have to hurt each other that badly. She nodded although in truth she was not entirely comfortable at the idea of hitting him. She did not think she would have trouble delaying him but it had to be convincing. And many men tended to forget that women could be fierce when forced into a corner. She would have to wait then for when the place was not crowded with patrons as it would be in early morning or evenings. So many details to think of... And still the risk that one would feel in the mood for heroism.

She pushed her fists into her eyes trying to chase the wariness. There was not much she could do; she would soon need some sleep. But she could not do it just yet; in fact the more tired she looked the better for this particular act, although riding like this might not be the cleverest thing to do. And they were still almost a day and a half out of Tharbad. She also would have to leave her things with Ryomer since she came in with nothing but the clothes on her back. The dagger concealed in her boot would have to be weapon enough until the Rohirrim caught up with her.
She shook her head; she had to stop thinking about the obstacles. There was a time when she rode with a wound that should have killed her for a day and a half. It almost did but she had recovered although the scar had remained. Being tired was nothing compared to that; and she would be riding in a land safer by far than the roads between Ithilien and Minas Tirith were prior to the war.

"Ryomer, do you know where to find the Red Bird inn in Tharbad?" The man nodded. "This is where we will meet." She would be at the inn under her own name. They knew to expect her at this time of the year and she would make sure that the room beside hers would be kept for him. A flash of worry passed over the man's face but he said nothing. Maybe she had imagined it. They agreed he would leave within half a day of her departure giving Daenora ample time to "compensate" him for his losses. They did not go into details with regards to his own excuse as he would probably find something adapted as the situation arose. She needed to trust Daenora would do her part. She was not sure she was happy about it but she had been in worse situations. An image came to her mind and passed; she startled and shook it off unsure of what it was.

She spent some time listening to what was happening outside the room... patrons leaving, girls falling asleep. Soon the place was emptied of most of its inhabitants but for a few helping in the kitchen or with the cleaning of the place... When she heard what she wanted, they put it all in motion.

~~~~~

Lilly was tired and annoyed as she reached the room where the handsome Rohirrim and the new woman Iris had spent the past two nights and a whole day. It was not fair; the woman was new and she was not that special... She was at least in her early thirties; why had the Rohirrim Lord wanted an old bat when he could have any young girl here. They would all be willing... And he was young too and handsome; surely no elderly woman could give him all that he wanted.

She passed the door when something fell inside; it clinked like money in a purse. Then nothing. Maybe it was her imagination; they were probably sleeping after spending a night doing things more pleasant than what Ned the Drunk had done to her. Why did she always get the drunk? At least he fell asleep fast... But then.

"He, what do you think you are doing?" It was the man's voice, surprised or angry maybe.
The woman's raised in answer, scared and breathless.
"I'm sorry Sir. I can't... I have to."
There was a sound with a "hump" followed by a thud like a body falling. She whipped around to see the door open and the woman rushing through carrying a bundle. She shoved Lilly aside running down the stairs whispering "I'm sorry." Lilly rushed back into the room; the man was lying on the floor, unconscious and a red spot on his handsome face; his shirt had been ripped apart by a knife or something of the sort. She looked about and saw that his own things had been rummaged through and coin was on the floor: silver no less. She picked it up and put it into her dress before she yelled.
"Thief!!" She ran back outside and down the stairs after the woman. But there was hardly anyone left in the house. Most of the patrons were working to pay their time here tonight and the girls were sleeping after a night's work. As she stepped outside the woman was on a horse galloping away her hair flying about her face. For a instant Lilly thought she saw pointy ears; but there was no way an elf would find herself in such a place...

Well, the man had no more companion. She pulled some water and went back into the room where she knelt by his head using some cloth to clean his face and freshen him up. The gentleman would be grateful and she might have a night without Ned the Drunk.

~~~~

Eari pushed Autumn as if Mordor's Nazgul were chasing her for the first couple of miles. Then she brought the stallion to a trot. The girl would be witness enough and Ryomer would have find his way out. Before long the rain started pouring; the ride to Tharbad would be long.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

(Ryomer POV)

The mist continued to fall as Ryomer rode on slowly through the darkening day. His head still pounding from the blow Eari had dealt him the day before. Traveling had been slow due to his condition and the constant rain or drizzle that had not let up since the afternoon of the previous day. Furthermore the there was no hope in tracking her since every downpour erased any viable signs of life that had once left their imprint in the gooey ooze of what once was a road.

Gathering his cloak more tightly the Rohirrim’s mind played back the scenes that followed Eari’s departure. He came too surrounded by four women in various states of dress, or undress, who were yelling at increasing intervals of volume like he was some prize they had just gained in a rigged card game. Comical perhaps if it hadn’t been him. It was Daenora who once again took control of the situation once she was summoned, or at least he thought she was summoned.

While the others suspected nothing, Daenora’s deft hand hands attended his wound. When the others had been sent off to attend to the guests, secrets were passed to the young man from the woman who seemed to know more than she should. For what purpose Ryomer did not know until it was midday and Daenora came in to check on him one final time. Lily was placed faithfully by his side. Having mended the shirt she was doing her best to persuade the blonde man to stay, just till the following morning. Daenora, quickly dismissed the girl knowing Ryomer would not let his traveling companion get too many hour ahead of him. Yet, once they were alone her ultimatum came…

A misstep by his large gelding shook the Rohirrim’s attention back to the present. Nightfall was approaching, fast, and it appeared the clouds were about to burst open like a split dam. He reached the town and specifically the stables just before the downpour began. Once the gelding was settled Ryomer made his way to the Red Bird Inn and entered. Wasting no time he approached the bar and quickly inquired about Eari.

“No, no woman as you describe has come through those doors today. Would you like to order a nice bowl of stew?” The barkeep then looked up. “You a fighter? I will have none of that here!”

“No,” the Rohirrim answered quickly, “I met a thief on the road,” he lied.

“Tall man, dark hair?

“Yes,” Ryomer lied again.

The barkeep let out a long sigh. “We thought he’d moved on. A sly one he is. How’s the head?”

“I’ve felt better.” Ryomer finally answered. “Look I’m going to need a room for the night too.”

The barkeep nodded and sent the man over to one of the far booths where he could still watch the door. Five minutes or so went by when a young, dark haired woman approached the table with a bowl of stemming stew, fresh bread, and a mug of a green colored liquid.

“My father sent this over.”

Ryomer lifted the mug to his nose.

“I know,” she smiled. “It smells horrid but it is his elixir for everything.”

“Does it work?”

“Seems to…” She answered placing the other items upon the table. “…and here is your room key. It’s at the top of the stairs, third door on the left.”

He thanked the woman and slipped the key into his tunic. As he began eating he could hear the barkeep telling some of the others about his recent patron and the encounter with the thief on the road.

The lying didn’t concern the Rohirrim as much as the knowledge that Eari had not arrived. She had a strong horse and a half days lead on him.

'Damn!' he thought to himself as he threw the spoon down into the half eaten bowl of stew. We should have never split up, none of us!'

Rholarowyn

Postby Rholarowyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 pm

(Rholarowyn POV)

The fire roared, warming the hearth and beyond though the crowd in the main room did not notice. Half filled trays of food, both cooked and fresh grown food remained untouched upon the table as the hushed voices continued to speak softly. In a room full of strangers, Rholarowyn could sense, and knew well, the raw sorrow and wretched sting that only death could bring.

Lienoril had prepared the shieldmaiden that she and her son might not receive a warm welcome from his sister, Brelia, and her husband when they finally reached the farm, about 10 miles south of Tharbad, however, the three arrived just past midday and less than an hour before the wake. Their admittance into the group of mourners was immediate, even Nayaran blended in well with the small group of children who were present.

Now dusk had fallen and the dark skies were finally clearing making the outside air even more frigid. Neighbors and kin folk bundled up before sharing their final condolences to Brelia. Eventually the house emptied of all who were not staying which left five men, four women, and a handful of children. Once Rholarowyn had finished assisting two of the women with the final clean up Lienoril led the woman and her son to the small, single room house a short distance away. The Gondorian then left the two alone and returned to the main house.

It was well into night when she awoke to a whisper of a familiar yet haunting tune. After listening for some time, Rholarowyn finally eased herself out from beneath the warm covers and with a quick tug pulled on her boots. Having fallen asleep in her clean tunic and pants she still wrapped the frayed, quilted bedcover snuggly around her. Standing she looked down upon Nayaran who was sleeping soundly in a bed beside hers. In the far off corner, close to the fire, Lienoril also appeared to be deeply lost in the land of slumber.

The main room smelled of smoke and still glowed orange from the burning embers which helped to cast long finger like shadows upon the stone walls. With her natural stealth the shieldmaiden slipped out through the front door and closed it softly behind her. Stepping onto the small, wooden porch she was instantly exposed to the radiant light of the full moon.

The lone, grief-stricken song from a flute resonated more sharply through the otherwise silent night air. Each distant note soared across the damp void, piercing Rholarowyn’s emotional armor. Too many times had she heard this song as a child, as a young woman, as a warrior, and as a survivor of the War of the Ring. An old ode of Rohan and one played for the deeply loved, highly revered, and recently departed…a song she’d last heard a lifetime ago.

Drawn like a moth to a flame, Rholarowyn’s feet led her though the wet field and into a nearby grove of tall pines. A soft breeze rustled through the long needles which released a few droplets and sprinkled the lone woman like a soft mist as she quietly passed beneath. When the notes of one lament ended she paused and when another started, she moved on. Finally the silhouette of a man appeared within view. He stood tall but braced his back against the solid trunk of a old, majestic tree.

A small cluster of muted, grey boulders provided a place for the shieldmadien to rest. Once seated, she pulled the quilt more tightly around her and gently rested her head upon her raised knees only then allowing a few tears to escape. His lament was soothing…sorrowful…soulful…and a much needed balm. Time all but stood still and only the sweet notes of the wooden flute continued to move on.

“Have you been here long?” the distressed voice asked softly through the darkness.

The shieldmaiden remained still. She’d been unaware the music had stopped, that he had moved, that he had seen her, that he had approached, that he now stood within five feet of where she was sitting. Every part of her being resisted the necessary journey back to the present. However, ultimately she could not win and gave in by opening her moist eyes and slightly lifting her head.

“May I?” he finally whispered as he motioned to the rock pile beside her.

Wordlessly, she nodded yes.

The two remained silent, side by side, as the moon moved slowly across the ever watchful sky. Some times the night orb would cast its light upon them while other times it respected their privacy by hiding its face behind the nearby tree tops. When the white, evening globe finally turned in for the night by setting behind the far off mountain range, she felt his gaze turn.

“I played those songs once…long ago...” He barely whispered, “…for you too.”

His voice was tender though still filled with grief. It was then that she moved toward him and with great sorrow placed her head upon this stranger’s shoulder. Gently he wrapped his strong arms around her and eventually they both surrendered to their shared tears of pain.

Last edited by Rholarowyn on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 pm

She was angry; there was no other way to describe the feeling. She once had been very well acquainted with the sentiment. It was underneath everything else; not for a long while, although she had been angry when she found out what Elessar had done... But right now the anger was directed against herself. She could not believe she was here; she should not be.

Exhaustion and the weather were to blame of course; but in the end they were only lame and lazy excuses. She had not been able to rely on her eyes since the War; listening was what she had left of her father's race. And she had not even been capable of using that. How could she have missed the sound of the horse's hooves? How could she have missed the sounds that disturbed the forest even in the rain? She knew all these sounds; she lived around them! If she had but listened, ten men would not have surrounded her. And the Valar knew that ten was more than she could handle; even if they were not actual warriors, the sheer number of them was enough to make her pause in any event. Once she might have been proud and desperate enough to try: dying while bringing as many as possible with her would be a glorious thing. Not anymore. And in this particular case, Ryomer had her sword. She only had a dagger and was not dressed adequately to handle the situation. If she had but listened she would have brought Autumn to a gallop and escape; but she had not and now she was here.

The fact that she had hoped they were only a bunch of outlaws was concerning in itself, but she also doubted these were only a band of starving cutthroats. Firstly, there were few left in this region; unlike Fornost or Annuminas, which were still largely requiring more work to bring back order, New Tharbad as they called it was almost at the crossroad of several realms that traded. Secondly, the leader's horse was in a much too good condition; an animal that was being cared for. And his weapons had definitely been properly cleaned and sharpened. Thirdly, though not the least of which, she was in a room that had a bed. She had not sat on it at this point; tired as she was, she was standing by a window looking out on the darkness as night had fallen already. They had not been here long but she knew there were five who had come in with the leader. And there had been two in what seemed to be a two stories house. She had come in with her eyes covered; they had not bothered binding her although it appeared they did not want her to know where she was. But at least it seemed they did not intend to kill her; not just yet.

So she stood, her back to the door; she would hear someone come before they touched the knob. In fact… the steps were calm, the breathing… not so much. One could tell so much from a person’s breathing; this one was not coming for an argument or a fight. If anything there might be a little bit of fear. She should not antagonize the person then whoever they were. A knock. That was surprising. She did not answer; it did not matter though. As she turned, the door opened to reveal a boy, a child really, maybe ten holding a basin in which was a jug that she guessed was filled with water and a bundle of cloth. Was it a way out then? That easy? She smiled; it probably was not reassuring for the boy winced. It was a little surprising. Without looking away from her he moved towards the bed and left the basin on the small table and on the mattress the bundle of cloth that had been inside it.
“Here is a set of clothes. He said to change before he sees you.”
She smiled again and the boy stepped back. He was warned against her.
“Does he now? And what is his name?”
“I cannot say.”
“What is yours?”
“I cannot say.”
“You do not know your own name, that seems unlikely young man…” He would not look at her in the eyes although he would not look away either. “You can tell. I won’t hurt you.” And there it was: the child was a tool. They had sent him because they knew she would not hurt him. And for some reason the anger was gone; it left her with only exhaustion and sorrow as well as a longing for the children she would embrace if they were here.
“Is there anything you can say?”
“These are trousers. He said you would want out of that dress.” And he blushed. He was most certainly not supposed to say that. That revealed too much. It was someone who knew what she was, what she had been.
“Fine, thank you.”
He left the room. A part of her wanted to ignore the clothes but she was cold and the anger was gone. The dress was uncomfortable and wet with the rain. And it was not her. The point of Tharbad was to reclaim her own identity and later her belongings when Ryomer arrived. Now she had neither and the Rohirrim would be worried. He would have arrived at the inn by now, unless Daenora had not let him leave as early as they had agreed.

She discarded the wet clothes and cleaned herself before she took the ones the boy had left for her. Had she been less exhausted she would have noticed the making of the clothes and known what would come next. But she only noticed they were finely made, confirming the notion that these were not a starving band in the wild. Then she stood again by the window knowing full well that sitting or lying down would be her downfall. She needed sleep badly and she would be claimed soon whether she wanted it or not. It was one thing to be stubborn, another to be stupid. She was the one and had once been the other; not anymore if she could help it. But she wanted to know who this man was that she had not known in the rain.

He came soon; first his footsteps, then him. He did not knock; he seemed to know she would hear him. And so there was no surprise on his face when he met her gaze: an appraisal maybe of the fact that she was wearing the clothes he had supplied. It brought her back to another time when drenched a man had provided clothes and looked at her in much the same appraising way. Although then there had been more, so much more… she would like the man to be there now. But he was not and she was tired. She observed him though; tall, almost as tall as a Numenorean in fact. And dark. He might have been of her own lineage but she would know him and she did not. The eyes were like dark pool in which many women might have drowned: a handsome man even with the scar that ran from his eyebrow down his neck. The jaw was decisive and the hands she knew were strong. He had held her as they wound a scarf to blind her and there had been no gentleness there.
“So Helyanwë of Arnor… or is it of Rohan now?”
And then she knew fear. That name was never used. Even Joham had not pronounced it; it was a name of the past, a name she had kept hidden from most for the longest time. Rholarowyn had never heard it. Only the elves called her that still; and family though rarely. She tried to shield the feeling with the anger she had felt before.
“This is not the name I answer to. As you must know.”
He laughed; a crystalline sound entirely unfit for this situation.
“I do. But I want you to realize I know all your names Captain Eärendil of Gondor.”
She struggled to keep control of her voice.
“There is power in that of course. Especially since I do not know yours.”
“It is irrelevant.”
She snorted. “For you it is.”
“Yes. What is relevant is that I knew you were on your way here. And I was not the only one in Tharbad who knew to wait for you.”
She shrugged.
“It is my yearly travel to Fornost and back. Everyone knows this.”
He shook his head.
“No, everyone knows there are a few Rangers traveling the old roads between Minas Tirith and Annuminas each year. But only a handful of people are actually aware that they always are the same people, the few remaining of the Grey company and you.”
“And why do you know this?”
“For now I won’t tell. I also know that you were supposed to travel with four companions. Where are they?”
“I was? No. I travel by myself. I always do as you should know since you are so well informed.”
His eyes became darker if it were possible, clouded with what was possibly anger. Good.
“Do not play Captain. I am here to help you.”
“Are you? You have yet to introduce yourself, you won’t tell me how you know my true name, which incidentally is known to less than a handful of people, and there is also the matter of you ambushing me with no less than ten men on the road. You’ll have to excuse my disbelief.”
“I know you travel with companions because you have no sword; if there is one thing I know about you is you never travel without it. You were dressed as a woman, which you also very rarely do when on the road and with no change of clothes. So obviously you were supposed to meet someone. At the Red Bird Inn I would venture since it is where you stop every other year. But I also know you were supposed to be met en route by a Rohirrim and a Gondorian. They were yours and Rholarowyn of Gondor’s escort. And her child’s.”
She said nothing for a moment. He laughed again.
“I might even have believed you did not know she was alive. But I know you do. Where is she?”
“I don’t know,” which incidentally was the truth. She knew she was with Lienoril and at a place where he had family but only Ryomer knew how to travel there.
“Fine, we’ll have to ask your companion then.”
She looked at him sharply.
“Well I have sent for him at the Red Bird. I told you some people were expecting you. And a group of them was waiting for you there; very ill mannered and intent upon hurting you as it happens. A couple of my men were there in case we missed you on the road. But since it was obvious you had been found before I told them to wait for your friend: Ryomer is that right? He should be here soon.”

Whether he was playing with her or not she could not tell. He was the master of the situation and she had no way of knowing whether she should kill him or not. Not that she could since they had taken her dagger, but she was deeply unsettled. She tried to hang onto the hope that two men would not have been enough to subdue Ryomer unless the blow she dealt him had more impact than it should. And if he came willingly, maybe just maybe he knew them. But which was it?
"In the meantime I suggest you sleep. You look like you need it. How long since you have rested? Three, four days?"

It was more like twenty really, but she was not going to tell him that. Still when he left she did lie down on the bed and let herself be carried within moments into the wandering dreams of her kind.
Last edited by earendil81 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40 pm

(Ryomer POV)

“Is there a problem?”

Ryomer looked up from his bowl to see the Innkeeper’s daughter looking down at small chaotic pattern of splattered stew. His angered gesture had created a dappled mess atop the table and upon his dark blue tunic. The eyes of the other patrons also glanced in his direction.

“No.’ He replied in haste. “Everything is fine.”

With a dishtowel in hand the young woman bent over and expertly wiped the table top down until all evidence of his frustrated outburst was removed. Before handing him the damp rag, Ryomer noticed her clothing. It was typical of a tavern server, an off white blouse with short puffy sleeves and a forest green skirt which was covered by her recently stained apron. Sliding into the booth across from him, her dark brown hair was pulled back neatly and tied with a cord and her crystal green held the desire to please.

“Your friend, the one you were supposed to meet here, I’m sure she is fine, with this weather it’s a wonder anyone has made it into town.”

Her words did nothing to lessen his concern but her smile and the spark in her eye did bring a slight smile to his face. “Thank you!” he said setting the damp towel down close to the end of the table.

“I’m Jinula,” she stated reaching her hand out in his direction.

“Ryomer,” he returned with a gentle handshake.

The woman quickly engaged the Rohirrim in light conversation which he thoroughly enjoyed. Her wit was refreshing and the gleam in her eyes continued to sparkle. So when the door to the Inn opened and the two men walked in, neither Ryomer nor the woman noticed.

“Jinula!” The deep voice demanded attention. Instantly the young woman looked towards her father who then nodded towards the entrance.

“Excuse me!” the she said quickly and slid out from the booth. Ryomer eyes followed her as she approached and then greeted the newcomers with mirth. Her laughter filled the room as he watched the taller man remove his saturated brown cloak. Droplets dripped off the shorter ends of his long, black, curly hair that surrounded his face and were caught in his neatly trimmed beard. “Sintanaro, you look like a drowned rat!” The woman exclaimed and Ryomer had to agree. After Sintanaro’s stocky traveling companion removed his wet wrap Jinula escorted both of the men towards the Rohirrim’s table.

“Ryomer! It was your horse in the barn. You remember Naliond? Whoa…what happened to you?”

“He fought off a nasty thief on the road.” Jinula answered proudly.

“That so?” Sintanaro then shook Ryomer’s hand and the two half hugged each other.

“Ryomer, Naliond, he rode with us once up north a few years back.”

“I remember.” The Rohirrim answered shaking the almost bald, shorter man’s hand.

The three men slipped into the booth and the look of disappointment on Jinula’s face could not be missed.

“Don’t worry my dear,” Sintanaro began with his usual charm. “We’re doing you a favor, one day you will thank me for this!”

Unconvinced the woman half heartedly asked, “You boys want your usual?”

“Please.”

“Yes.”

Reluctantly she turned and headed for the kitchen. “You better leave her a nice tip tonight.” Naliond half-joked as the two men settled in across from the Rohirrim.

“And you!” Sintanaro looked over to the Rohirrim, “Do you not learn! Need I remind you again about Pelargir and the Innkeeper’s daughter…”

“And wasn’t there another in Bree?” Naliond added with a grin.

“Right…you should stick to cards my friend. Those don’t come with parents.”

“Thank you very much for the advice I did not request.” Ryomer shot back with a defiant grin. “And don’t think I didn’t notice she called you both boys.”

The three kept the conversation superficial until the new round of food had been served and eaten, and Jinula had long disappeared into the kitchen. When it was evident that they had blended in well with the small crowd Sintanaro lowered his voice though kept his body posture relaxed and jovial.

“Eärendil won’t be meeting you here tonight.”

“Alright…” Ryomer voiced slowly hiding his surprise. “…then where is she?”

“She is safe. We have her out at the Noble house.” Sintanaro answered quietly and then calmly continued. “Though I am curious to know why you all are not traveling together as that is what the orders were.”

The Rohirrim let out a sigh of relief before he answered. “We ran into a bit problem up at Daenora’s though I’m not sure what happened. Lienoril determined he had to go and we couldn’t all leave together.”

“Daenora...” The dark haired gentleman slowly hissed. “I pay that woman handsomely for her silence AND cooperation.”

“Well she played her part well enough; acted as if she’d never seen either of us before, though she did give me a rather nasty ultimatum before I left.”

“Well, the time to deal with that is later!” Sintanaro asserted. “Rholarowyn and the boy, where was he taking them?”

“To Goronor’s farm, we are to meet up with them there.” Ryomer answered.

Naliond and Sintanaro quickly glanced at each other before Sintanaro continued. “Ryomer, there is other news you need to know… Goronor…well he passed away a few days ago.” He paused for a moment to let this new information sink in. “I know my friend; it was a shock to us too. Goronor was a good man, a strong fighter, and he took to farming well, considering…”

“What happened?” Ryomer’s voice was sorrowful.

“Died peacefully in his sleep.” Naliond answered respectfully.

“His wake was today, though sadly we missed it.” Sintanaro continued. “However, if they made it to the farm they will be safe. We have a few men there as well.”

“For the wake?”

The newcomers nodded in affirmation.

The men remained silent for some time. Naliond finished up the last of the soup with the bread while the Rohirrim let his attention return to his friend and mentor. Recent memories came to mind of a long night sitting with Lienoril at Goronor’s hearth sharing in the stories of old. Sintanaro turned his thoughts towards Lienoril and his latest actions. The Gondorian had made his displeasure at escorting Rholarowyn known when he replaced Bryttar for this trip. Lienoril’s protest had been noted and somewhat understandable since at the time he believed that his brother, Bandoril, was still dead. A deed he blamed on Rholarowyn but was done by the hands of the Easterlings. Yet, it was still decided that he had a certain skill set that would be useful and therefore the orders were given. Now Sintanaro wondered if that had truly been the wisest choice.

“How is she…how is she doing?” The dark haired man finally asked breaking the silence.

“Rholarowyn?” Ryomer inquired once he emerged from his own contemplation. “Well, she is doing alright over all. I mean in some ways she seems calmer, more at ease, but in other ways I think she feels the need to prove herself, prove her loyalty…” The man stopped for a moment and then chuckled, “She can still put up a good fight though, she went off and challenged Lienoril to a duel. Came right into our room and stuck a blade at the man’s throat and wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

The news of the tale brought a round of bittersweet laughter to the table. “What did he do to deserve that blessing?” Naliond questioned once their chuckles subsided.

“I’m not sure; perhaps she felt he threatened her son…”

“Shieldmaidens with children,” Sintanaro shook his head. “This will be a new force to be reckoned with, like a she bear in the woods…well, I’m glad to hear she still has the fire and good for her, it will keep Lienoril on his toes. Anyway…” The dark haired man pushed himself up from the table. “We need to get you back to the Noble house. Wait…” he paused for a moment and pointed to the nasty bruise on the left side of the Rohirrim’s face. “Earendil?”

Ryomer only nodded in affirmation.

“Well, I shall go make peace with Jinula and promise her your attentions on another day.”

“Thanks.” The Rohirrim replied sarcastically as he too rose from the booth and was followed by Naliond.

It was less than an hour later when Ryomer found himself sitting in a dimly lit room on the bottom floor of the old two story house. Once he’d been assured that Earendil had been taken care of and was resting, the weariness of that past few days began to take over. With closed eyes he rested his head against the soft back of the overstuffed chair. Only a few moments later the man entered. He stood tall and his features were dark, and though the room was not completely illuminated the shadow of his scar traced a line from his eyebrow down to his neck. Instantly the Rohirrim was on his feet.

“Ryomer.” The tall man approached with his hand extended. “It is good to see you again though I did not expect it to be so soon.”

The Rohirrim’s hand joined the newcomers in greeting. “Nor I, Sir.”

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Although he was looking at the letter he received some weeks before, the dark man’s thoughts lingered on the woman upstairs as he nursed a mug of ale. She had become a woman over the years, had accepted it apparently. Still the warrior remained, not too far underneath the surface. He had seen the anger beneath the restraint as they took her: anger at being taken without a fight, at not having been prepared for one. That’s why he held her as they bound a scarf about her eyes; he knew what she was capable of in anger.

Unlike Rholarowyn it was difficult to think of Earendil of Gondor as a shieldmaiden: there never had been much of a maid in the soldier at first or even at the last.
She arrived in the White City as a young man and pretended to be so for two years; one had to acknowledge that she kept her secret well. Might even have continued if that blade had not revealed something that could not be a male attribute. She was after all part elf and it was said that their women were only easier to recognize after they carried children. He had the opportunity to see it was not so with all of them but it had held true for this one.
Even when she came back, despite the Stewart’s decree, she did not let anyone treat her as a woman, even a shieldmaiden. At best anyone who did would receive a verbal lashing, at worst a man would “die” in practice. She expected them all to treat her as any other soldier, which is what she considered herself. She never showed weakness and never cried. Men knew that women were generally prone to do so. Not her. Only the one time and only he had been here; not Denethor nor his sons but he.

She had three children now and she had changed; beside the long hair, which was the most obvious thing he was not sure whether she could pass as a man anymore. She had changed. Then so had he; so much in fact she had not recognized him. If he looked deep enough he might find that this hurt him but he was a man who did not look deep if he did not have to. It came with the task he was given before the woman upstairs even arrived in Gondor. He thought that he would like to meet the man who had called forth the woman in the warrior. But what he was doing here was really seeing one of his assignments to its end, even though it was years since it begun.

He heard the door open and Sintarano’s voice addressing Ryomer. He had to finish writing his own letter before meeting with the young man.

~~~

He entered the room; the Rohirrim was seated, exhaustion etched on his face. Still he stood. He let a smile curve his lips as he extended his hand.

“Ryomer. It is good to see you again though I did not expect it to be so soon.”
The Rohirrim’s hand joined the newcomers in greeting. “Nor I, Sir.”

“I am sure you need rest, but I need to know what they have been told.”
There was no other way to do this; Sintanaro had reported Lienoril and Rholarowyn had gone to Goronor’s. They would be relatively safe there, which was not true of where they were. Tharbad may be the place of trade and exchange, the crossroad between Gondor and Arnor, but there was poison here. And too many people this year knew who the Captain traveling from Minas Tirith to Fornost was. That was the way of things when a mayor was removed from his position before the end of his term. Revenge could take many shapes; selling a name was one. And that name was worth a lot of money this year, which is why he had to come here.

Ryomer gave him a full report of what had happened since they last met. Somewhat hesitantly he also reported what Earendil had shared with Joham; something Ryomer probably felt he was not supposed to know or tell since she had confided in the “baker” privately. It was necessary that he know everything though.
The fact that the peredhel did not remember most of her time in the East was actually concerning. It meant that she would resent any protection they had to offer; the fact that she had not taken off without the men and even Rholarowyn was somewhat surprising, another proof she had changed.
It did explain why she had not recognized him though, which in itself was going to be a problem. And it was going to make his task more complicated; that brought him back to the young Rohirrim standing in the room with him.

He looked at the young man; it seemed Ryomer was going to be the bridge here. She had after all spent two days with him in relatively good companionship despite the needed bruise on his face.
“Does she trust you?”
It was not a complicated question. And yet, it was the hardest one, he knew. For though she had left her weapons and clothes with him, she had no choice. And so the question was a necessary one; if Ryomer could not be what he – they really – needed him to be, this entire thing might turn out to be impossible. For he knew how stubborn she could be.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:56 am

(Ryomer POV)

The tone of his voice conveyed the seriousness of the question. 'Did he, Ryomer, have her trust?' He was a Rohirrim, like her husband and Bryttar, both whom were Rholarowyn's cousins, so that did gave him some credibility. Plus he and Earendil were both were solders at heart and he knew that a certain amount of trust was needed and given in situation like this. Finally, she had also taken his input back at Daenora's and decided that a nice blow to the face would do in place of a good slash wound, yet she had knocked him unconscious. For a brief second he felt the pressure of the small, aquamarine stone resting in his tunic and thought of Nayaran and how the Easterling boy had shown his trust in him by entrusting him with the precious Elvish stone.

"No," he finally answwered. "I do not have her trust, not entirely and not in the way that you are asking. There is only one person who is avaliable to us now who may have her trust in the manner you need and that would be Rholarowyn."

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:39 pm

"No, I do not have her trust, not entirely and not in the way that you are asking. There is only one person who is avaliable to us now who may have her trust in the manner you need and that would be Rholarowyn."

He turned away from Ryomer; if the only person the two women trusted were each other, they may have need of Bryttar in the end. But with his wife facing a difficult pregnancy the Rohirrim would not come to them. It was the reason they had to send Lienoril in the first place. This situation was becoming a pile of knots impossible to undo.

He was going to have to reveal more than he had intended to. There were five people left who knew of his common past with Earendil; one was sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith another in Ithilien. Of their company, only Bryttar knew and even telling him had been a carefully weighed decision. But it seemed it was not going to be enough: he was not supposed to be here. His task was supposed to start in Minas Tirith; but when reports had come in that her name was known in Tharbad and some people had inquired about her whereabouts and when to expect her in the city, the King ordered him to come.

She would know Anoriel and that the threat was real but also that those responsible for the safety of her loved ones deserved to be trusted. Only she did not know him, had not recognized him. Maybe confronting Earendil with her past would be the right thing to do but if she was as unyielding as she was before the war, she might break and that he knew the King would neither condone nor forgive.

"Our task is going to be complicated." He finally said. An understatement really and maybe Ryomer would recognize it as such. "We cannot reach Rholarowyn and Lienoril before another day. In the meantime how do you suggest we approach her?"
Once he might have known the answer to that question although it had taken longer than the time Ryomer had had with the peredhel. Yet, again, this question needed to be asked. In some ways, it was also a good thing for the young man to be challenged. When one became a man, there were difficult questions one had to answer, situations one might prefer not to face but that needed to be. He had expectations for the Rohirrim and if Ryomer turned out to be more than a follower, he needed to be prepared for the challenging part.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Rholarowyn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am

(Ryomer POV)

His leader had turned away, but not before the Rohirrim saw a hint of emotion revealed in his eyes. Concern? Sadness? Pain? The Rohirrim wasn't sure as the man rarely reveiled much to anyone. However, two things could be determined from this latest meeting. One was that things were not going according to plan, but more importantly, there was clearly more at stake than he and Lienoril orginally suspected.

Thinking back, Earendil had said just enough during the private meeting at Joham's though at the time she did not know what she had revealed. Joham, Ryomer, and Lienoril quickly realized that she did know this man, his leader, who stood before him now. The two had a shared past, one that took place in the East. More distrubing was how the woman also shared how her memories of that time were still veiled from her mind.

"Sir..." Ryomer finally began, "...without knowing more details my advice would be that whenever possibly share the truth. If the truth cannot be revealed or not all of the truth, then we should determine what would be most helpful to her in the bigger picture. However, my finally suggestion is that whatever you or any of us decide to tell her, we need to do so with compassion."

Rholarowyn

Postby earendil81 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Anoriel prevented a snort; he had asked Ryomer for his suggestion. It would have been demeaning to the man even if it was not meant as a rebuke or critic of his thoughts; it was actually a good idea. But Earendil of Gondor was a difficult character; he remembered when he gave her a truth that he thought would be most helpful for her in the bigger picture and she decided to endanger her life for it. In ways that she had obviously erased from her mind.

He, on the other hand, could not forget the days of agony when she was held in the seraglio of that man. He could not forget how he had to penetrate the place with the help of that girl Shara, pretending to be a eunuch to take Earendil away. For the peredhel had recounted her escape in a way that was not true; it might have become true in her mind but she had not left that place unhurt or not revealed.
She had killed the man for sure, but she had not disappeared as she made herself remember. They had taken her; and obviously revealed what she was: a woman, a soldier, an elf helping Gondor.

"I don't know if compassion will be enough in this case; but when she remembers she will need people she trusts around her." He paused. "What I am about to tell you does not get out of this room. I will tell Lienoril if he proves to me that he can handle this, which so far as I can tell is unlikely just now. But no one else at this point; if she is going to remember it must be in her own time. In that you are right; that much compassion I can offer. The risk is that your attitude towards her will change and she will not like that..."

He waited until the man nodded.

"I was in the East with Earendil before the war; we were three seasons working together. She was young and stubborn, which I understand she still is. She also could easily pass for a man... you may have heard of her first years in Minas Tirith." He did not elaborate, that was not the point. "Even then she was caught, a woman by herself obviously not from these parts. Before she was taken to the leader's seraglio they whipped her in the marketplace. Twenty times." He had counted them hoping she would scream giving them what they expected a woman to do, but she had not. "Within weeks, she did kill the Master of the house, Khalid dan Razul, depriving the Easterlings from a major leader in the battle of the Pelennor fields. Only the guards captured her; Shara found me and told me that I had to come now or Earendil would die. I went and found her..."

He could not forget what he stumbled onto in their insalubrious jails. It was the one image that he would never be able to erase from his mind. The one image that made the rest pale in comparison no matter the horror. And the reason the peredhel had cried. To this day it was the one image he could not face without disgust and horror.

"And the twenty women of the seraglio who had been whipped, tortured, raped and had their throat cut. Because Earendil would not tell the guards who had helped her procure the weapons. Or maybe she told them but they still killed them. They had not hurt her badly just yet but covered her with the blood of the women, that their deaths weigh on her mind forever. It was the only time I ever saw her cry."

He had not told all of it, but it was weighing heavily on him. Ryomer was a young man, the same age he was when this happened. It was more than fifteen years and it weighed on him as if it happened months before. The peredhel had not yielded and had almost broken during their return trip to Minas Tirith. Less than a week after she left with the two brothers for Osgiliath and almost died. He on the other hand was ordered back to Harad where his own duties lay and had not seen her since then.

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light