What A Novel Idea:Pencil...Paper...write!

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

What A Novel Idea:Pencil...Paper...write!

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 pm

What a Novel idea...lets write a book!

Pencil...paper...write! :bookworm:

Sure thing...what do we do first? **scratches head thoughtfully**

Well...I suppose an idea would help... Hue and the other knights shake their heads in agreement....

what audience are you targeting...what is your objective and where would you like to be a year from now with this book?

**We have the idea: Tales of the Mithril Knights

**Our Target Audience: Fantasy readers…along with wanna-be fantasy readers ;)

**Our objective: to collaborate with the writing team and tell the tales of the Mithril Knights and their history: create a new world.

**A year from now? We'll get back to you on this :P

I'm saving different threads for each step of the writing process: the first step beginning with 'collaborative ideas'

I'm adding the conversations from the other thread of the ideas brought up...and the experience we have with many of the MK Guild members :D

oK...It's ready to post in :)

I'll add the notes to the other pages as we collaborate and update...fumegate...reiterate...postulate...and intergrate :lol:
Last edited by Parador~J on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm

COLLABORATION OF IDEAS

An Inderview with Lynn Abbey:authur,co-collaborator of Thieves World

The above website is an excellent example of how young authors got together and wrote Thieves World...Abbey gives good advice in the what to do and not do while working with other authors.

Excellent example of what we're wanting to do...Thank-you, Hue for the heads up on this successful series :)

The following websites are about Robert Heinlein...you guys were talking about him in the MK thread...I though it would be interesting reading up on him with the book project we're doing.

The Heinlein Society

Robert A Heinlein_Wikipedia
Last edited by Parador~J on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

What a Novel Idea: Pencil...Paper...Write!

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Research...research...and LOTS more research :shock:

Links to help in our writing journey:

Creative Writing

Daily Writing tips

How to write a Short Story

L.E. Modestitt_Official Website

The Worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Where Writers Learn (I purchased the book 'How to be a writer...building your creative skills through practice and play

WritingForum: body language and hand gestures
Last edited by Parador~J on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

What a Novel Idea: Pencil...Paper...Write

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Characters in the story
Last edited by Parador~J on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mithril Knights Warriors Guild
~Mithril Knight of Lore
~Mithril Knight / Knight Marshall

~Bearer of the Sun Ring of ~Anar~ - The Spirit of Endurance ^~^'Fëavoronwie'^~^
A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

What a Novel Idea: Pencil...Paper...Write

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 pm

ORGANIZING CONTENT
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

What a Novel Idea:Pencil...Paper...write!

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Last edited by Parador~J on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 pm

OUR BRAVE NEW WORLD
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 pm

PUBLISHING THE BOOK
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I didn't add the posts from the MK thread...we can start from here... :)

When you post ideas I'll then add those ideas to the Collaboration section :)

We can do this...I have confidence and faith in all of our abilities...it's going to be a fun journey :):):)
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby erinhue » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Count me in for the ride :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Parador~J » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 am

:D :drink: :clap: :thumbsup:

With you on board, Hue... what a ride it will be!!! :D

I'll be on this weekend ...last weekend just got out of hand...couldn't control it :lol:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby erinhue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 am

Could be I gots some time this weekend m'self, darlin' :wink:

Thought I'd share a few thoughts on the project.

Firstly if this is to be a Mithril Knights tale we will have to undergo some alterations as the Knights as is are firmly rooted in Middle Earth. I love writing for The Bard and would want to keep the character as is in any new MK adventure. His basic background, mysterious foundling raised by a noble house, is highly transferable. I think the same can be said, with a few tweaks, for Tempest and D'jazi. Our Elf comrads, not to mention our Great Eagle will need a greater degree of tweaking to conform to a non Middle Earth location. I am certain that this can be done since we are starting from scratch with this creation. Why not Great Eagles where ever we are located, right? Since it is uncertain if The Boss is going to continue his "Dirk" character, SB will just have to see where he wants to fit in and as who should he join this project

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:13 am

:lol: Let's face it, I'm lazy. I been writing for The Bard for so long, and he is so close to me in outlook and personality, I just do not think I could come up with another character that wasn't some weak sister version of Erinhue in disguise. :roll: What can I tell ya, that's the simple truth 8)

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 am

:twisted: A guy like me could get ta love being able ta post like this :twisted:

About our yet to be created world. I don't want to get too detailed in the planning here. We need to leave things open for development. We do need to consider including the stable locations for adventure, Mountains, desert, mysterious/haunted place, Ancient ruins of some sort(see mysterious haunted space) and a Great Grand Glorious place, and :twisted: a Domain of Evil.

I see at some point a map being made and given to all participants so we all stay on the same page. I remember doing that with a map of Middle Earth for some long ago RP.

Let's see, that's two cents, twice. I'll be back :wink:

erinhue

Postby elora » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm

First up, great idea and some talented contributors already on board makes it appeal even more. Oh, so shiny! *covetous gleam in eye*.

I'm kinda committed fully at the moment writing a tale with a massive arc and multiple characters with my better half. Between that, and the rest of life, I'd do any other project a lamentable disservice. Not that I do this one I am on a service, by the by. I think of it in terms of degrees of disservice, if you will. I digress. How uncharacteristic.

But I do hope to vicariously enjoy your labours! :)
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby Parador~J » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 pm

:lol: man, Hue...The Bard is timeless wherever we go with the story...he's such a fun character :D

Hey Elora!!...again...it's so wonderful to have you grace these boards again :) :)

Stop in anytime... :hug:

I'll catch up on Legacy this weekend...and Rho's story :D
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Details...details....that's the best part :horse:

I like your idea's Hue...some of the stuff we can keep...we can still have orcs, elves and such...I saw a book where they had hobbits. Need to look further in to this...

I was thinking...to get started...we need to get an outline of the world, characters, places...a history of the Mithril Knights and what the story will entail :thumbsup:

:TORC:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby erinhue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:50 am

We could begin with a sort of intro for each character, such as, they are at home when news comes that they are needed. Assuming that we are using the same characters, or even if we are not, they would/should be diverse enough that they would come from different places in our world much as the Knights come from different areas of Middle Earth.

In this way each of us gets a chance to describe a part of the world, as in the area where we first find their character and some history for the world in the back ground stories of our characters Even if two are in the same location, the writer will give different slants on this.

I see this sort of the way we used to RP here on TORC. When I first started there were no OOC threads and you just posted your part and then fly by the seat of your pants with the next responding post and the story evolved from that. We do need an initial premiss and a general idea for the world so we can all keep a same thread running through our individual pieces.

I think the general rules for The Pony would work for our collaboration efforts here like, no killing another's character, no single sentence replys etc

erinhue

Postby Parador~J » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:15 pm

All the stuff I just wrote I lost! :cry2:

My new laptop...man I love it! But geeze! It does some crazy stuff when I type...and I end up losing my content if I don't copy it and then keep writing. I don't know what the problem is ***feeling disgustingly frustrated*** :P LOL

Trying to laugh it off.... :roll:

Let me start again...on the next post...working on it now...have an idea to see what all of you think...

:bookworm:
~Mithril Knight of Lore

A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:35 pm

I agree, Hue....

1. There should be no problem with keeping our characters intact and their history except with some tweeking of names and places from Tolkien's books. That shouldn't be to hard...

2. 'In this way each of us gets a chance to describe a part of the world, as in the area where we first find their character and some history for the world in the back ground stories of our characters Even if two are in the same location, the writer will give different slants on this.'

Yes, I like this idea...this lets everyone help with the scultping of a new world...

I was thinking...what if we created a history before the history of Middle-earth? It would have to be thousands of years before Tolkiens world...

Need to think this one through...interesting though

3. Once we get started on the story...I'll create a new thread for it...then we'll keep using this thread as our OOC

4. Agree'd...we can use the Pony Rules :thumbsup:

I'll summurize these ideas and post them in the Collaboration thread

I need to switch two of the threads and put 'Brave New World' after the Collaboration thread...we need a world to work off of as we write the story. Too, we'll be adding as we write...

:TORC:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 pm

I was able to get a free book from Book Stand Publishing titled:'The Self-Publishing Checklist'...'how to prepare your manuscript for Print-on-demand Publishing and promote your book'

To name a few famous writers who self-published:

Edgar Rice Burroughs
Zane Grey
Rudyard Kipling
DH Lawrence
Virginia Woolf
Beatrix Potter
Alexandre Dumas
Louis L'Amour
TS Eliot
Frank L Baum

There's many more!

This book is so imformative :)

If you guys would each like a copy...go to bookstandpublishing.com

I'll post some of the contents here as we need it...

Vana...this is a great way to get your poems published :D
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby erinhue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:16 pm

I was thinking...what if we created a history before the history of Middle-earth? It would have to be thousands of years before Tolkiens world...

Need to think this one through...interesting though

Interesting indeed but...

If we did set it at such a time we would not be dealing with the geography of Third/Fourth Age Middle Earth. We would still have to recreate the world from scratch or go back to the pre Third Age Middle Earth, which is still plagerizing Tolkien.

Then again if we were to some how predate Tolkien's history, but since he started way back at the beginning of the beginning, I'm not sure how we would do that.

erinhue

Postby Parador~J » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 pm

It's one of those 'whoa, I have an idea'...and then once it's thought through...you realize it's not such a good idea :lol:

You're right, Hue....to play it safe...it's best to stay far away from Middle-earth :thumbsup:

I'm off the rest of the week...and will work on this tomorrow and update it...

Need to do a post in our MK story so we can get CR and Claymore initiated :D

I've been reading The Writer today...it's about 7 tips of mistakes to avoid when writing a story or novel. Pretty good stuff...I'll post it :)

I've been up since 4 am...I'm off to bed... :zzz:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Parador~J » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm on the website The Writers Magazine...trying to find the article 7 Tips of Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Story or Novel...I have it on my Nook Color...but I'd like to cut and paste the article here...I'll probably have to just type it out...or summerize it.

Hue...I would think the first step we need is to see if the other MK members would like to become part of this project. If not...we wouldn't be able to do this...would we?

After we find out who would like to join in...

1. we need to work on ideas for the story

2. a title for the book

3. create a world :shock:

4. get our characters lined up: names, who they are, where they are from, their history

I'll get a better game plan for writing a book posted...the do's and don'ts...and I have some steps I'll post on getting motivated to write :lol:
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby erinhue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

Why couldn't we? :roll:

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:36 am

IMVHO that order is a little off. Title will come and better once we have answers for the other questions. What we need first is an idea for the story. It does not have to be the idea we want a degree of flexibility here so the story can develope in a natural manner.

If we get a story idea and have an idea on who our characters are at the beginning we have enough to get to work. The world to a major degree will develope as is needed to serve the story.

Think. we know nothing of Rivendel or Gondor or anyplace else at the start of FOTR. We spend time learning The Shire before we know anything of the rest of the world.

With this we, the reader, get to learn and explor the world along with our main characters and have little to know prior knowledg of what to expect. This is a good quality for the story and for the reader. It also allows room for there to be an ocean, should the story require one even if no mention was ever made of one prior to that need.

erinhue

Postby erinhue » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 am

Mithril Knights in disguise or whatever, I intend to write with The Bard. I love the guy and as I said the character can be adapted to many a background scenerio.

If the MK's is a basis for this then we have our characters and their personal backgrounds. Not much need to change any of that outside of a geographic or historic name refference.

If not an MK clone, some sort of similar connection needs to be established between the characters. Again a change in name should suffice. The mission statement of the MK's is the standard contract all hero's make with the world(s) they protect.

erinhue

Postby Parador~J » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

"Why couldn't we?" :roll:

***happily smacks her knee YES! That's what I was hoping you would say, Hue :)

"IMVHO that order is a little off. Title will come and better once we have answers for the other questions. What we need first is an idea for the story. It does not have to be the idea we want a degree of flexibility here so the story can develope in a natural manner"

Agreed! You're right...it needs to develop over time...just need to get the core of this going...and that is 'whats the story going to be about...

I vote to keep MK and the characters in the book....they were what made the storys and the Guild...and I still love Elbren's of finding worthy members and having them go through an initiation of sorts...like the mural. We can come up with a totoally different idea or use Elbren's and tweek it abit...

I'll post more on this tomorrow...gotta hit the hay...have to be up at 12:15 in the AM...and Im feeling pretty tired...after tomorrow...I'll be off fri, sat, sun, and mon :thumbsup:

Talk to you soon...have a good day tomrrow, Hue...and don't forget to go and check out the Buttrefly>>>>>>>>>>>Garden :) :)
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

Postby Tempest » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 am

I do have one question: It was my understanding that the stuff we wrote on THIS site was technically then copyrighted by The One Ring. So, are we allowed to use the material we wrote, or will write, if we post it here?

As for Tempest, she's also a pretty easily transferable character in terms of her background, and the good thing is she gives a context for the bad guys, and the world they come from.
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Rholarowyn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am

I am very intrigued with what you are proposing and might like to join in. :-)

I have two MK characters, Bryttar and Rholarowyn and it would be easy enough to alter their background story away from Middle Earth, but still keep the essence of who they are. (Not sure I'd include both but I do have that option.)

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn