The Writer's Shrine: The Boys are Back

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Re: The Writer's Shrine: The Return of the Hardboiled.

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Unless you knit poems into your wool craft. (Assuming wool craft is a term). Then you would be a true Jedi in my book. And, you already wrote a book. That makes you aces in mine. And how are you up at what is it, 3 AM?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 pm

I am having trouble sleeping whenever we've had no sunshine for a few weeks in a row, I've noticed. I tend to be up all night and sleep too long. It was especially bad in winter, but improved with spring. Now we have had two weeks of grey and rain so that hasn't helped. Also, I had too many ideas floating around my head to sleep.

I keep forgetting I have a book out, but in a way it doesn't count since it is not creative writing. I always thought my first book would be poetry or fiction!

Hehe, World of Wool Craft. :D That should have been my business name. I did actually think about knitting morse code into something recently. It's definitely possible.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm glad that you still have enough patience to put up with me for all these years. You really are one of the best, Silwen, (Feels weird calling you that now :rofl: )

I'm hoping to be back here more. Really. Tired of the stutter starts. Weary of Facebook. There has to be SOMEWHERE for writerly types and wannabes to discuss the noble craft. Maybe not. :(
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:45 pm

POET!!!!!!! Long time, no see! Not much is going on with me either. Every time I sit down to write, I intend to finish transcribing the prologue and start the first chapter of one of my stories, but I keep getting distracted by flashes from other stories. If it was one other story pestering me, I could work on it, but it's 3-5 different ones, so I can't focus and none of my usual tricks (lots of sugar and energy drinks to satisfy my muse) are working. :-(
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey, you got me to delurk. That's saying something! I was getting tired of TORC. :shock:

By the way, I am also hardly doing any reading now, which is very odd. It started right after my PhD, which is normal, I heard. It never really got back to the way it was, though. For a brief while last year I managed to really get into reading again, read three books in a very short time, but then it all stopped again. Very strange. So right now I am waiting to want to continue reading the History of Middle-earth. It's right here next to me and has been there for months now.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:58 pm

POET!!!!!!! Long time, no see! Not much is going on with me either. Every time I sit down to write, I intend to finish transcribing the prologue and start the first chapter of one of my stories, but I keep getting distracted by flashes from other stories. If it was one other story pestering me, I could work on it, but it's 3-5 different ones, so I can't focus and none of my usual tricks (lots of sugar and energy drinks to satisfy my muse) are working.

Please, call me Will. I would've ditched this falsehood of a moniker by now if I didn't have so many white trees. Writing gets harder as we grow older. I'm writing a slow novel set in the Dark Sun D&D universe (Google it for a better detail), but even though it is "glorified fan fiction" ... Dark Sun never did that well so I'm hoping maybe someone picks it up whenever I DO get done with it. :)

So right now I am waiting to want to continue reading the History of Middle-earth. It's right here next to me and has been there for months now.

It's Tari's fault with that Silmarillion quiz. Got me thinking Tolkien again. And I forget who Turin is though I seem to remember him being a bit of an ass. Appropriate, I guess. :mightysquid: :mightysquid:
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Turin is okay. :D One of the books I read most recently was the Children of Hurin. I prefer the Silmarillion as it is, though. I don't think I found anything particularly noteworthy in the CoH. Have you read it?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:25 pm

No, but I have it. I didn't read the one about the Nordic myth either. To be honest, outside of LOTR, I can get into Tolkien all that much. He's way too much a philologist for me.
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:44 am

I've forgotten so much of my Tolkien knowledge, it's unreal. I have quite a few books around the subject, but read them about 10 years ago. I haven't read LOTR lately either. I suspect I only read it once anyway, though I'm not sure. :?

There is a LOTR quiz book on my shelf and I can't answer most of the questions. :oops: That's a bit embarrassing.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LalaithUrwen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:19 am

Silwen, that makes me feel better! I am starting to forget stuff, too. I need to reread LotR and the Sil.

However, I have Tolkien's Beowulf on my list of things to read ASAP. Has anyone else read it yet?
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 am

I haven't read his Beowulf and I have no idea where my copy of Heaney's Beowulf got to. I only got it recently from Canamarth - well, shortly before I left Germany, which was five years ago - and I am not sure where it is now. I didn't take it with me so it is either with Canamarth or my parents threw it away when they themselves moved house. Whenever I move, I lose books! :x

I liked Heany's version and would like to compare it to Tolkien's one day. Though, really I just want the original Anglo-Saxon. :D
Last edited by Silwen on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LalaithUrwen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:53 am

Heany's version is brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to comparing it to Tolkien's.

I hope you find it, Silwen!
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 am

Silwen:

:mightysquid:

How dare you forget the name of Sauron's cat. :P
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:54 pm

I can't believe it's still on page one.
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:01 pm

I can't believe I got a notification when I never get any for my most active thread. :P And here we are again.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm surprised you're not a double ring bearer yet.
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Well, I haven't posted in a few years, I think. I didn't expect to be back, to be honest.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Has it truly been years? Must be true because I'm posting from my cell phone and it's not at all how I remember it. Were cell phones in existence when I last posted?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Re: The Writer's Shrine: The Boys are Back

Postby Silwen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:44 pm

They were, but we just didn't have the fancy ones. :D Mind you, I only caught up with mobile technology this year... And I am typing this on my iPad (please excuse the typos).

I have forgotten so much about Tolkien's universe, it is shocking. I used to know nearly everything. :( I have some of the History of ME on the shelf, still unread. All in all, I have hardly read any books for a long time. What's happened?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Maybe that's why I've been willing to forgive Peter Jackson's version of Hobbit Films. I only very recently watched any of them but I was able to appreciate them in order over a weekend. The story itself was a bit ... deviated ... but Jackson pulled together some places like Angmar, Gundabad, and Dol Guldur which I enjoyed. If anything the films got me into the spirit of re-exploring the general lore again.

Did you see the Hobbit films, Silwen? I'm sure you have an opinion. :P
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:02 pm

I have seen them, but wasn't in a hurry about it. I think the only part of the trilogy I saw on the big screen was the final part. I wasn't fussed because I never liked The Hobbit as a book anyway. Of course I did not like deviations from the book, but I remember so little of the story that I can't tell you in detail what bothered me other than the Tauriel storyline. It has been a while!

ETA: Today Mark's dad asked me to translate Elvish from one of his games. Turns out it was mae govannen written in Sindarin writing. Finally my Elvish dictionary came in handy! I guessed what it was after deciphering 'mae'. :lol:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris