The Writer's Shrine: The Boys are Back

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Re: The Writer's Shrine: I am my hair. Are you?

Postby Silwen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 am

Or perhaps I will contend with your argument if you can state your grounds on what fan fiction is EXACTLY?

That's just what I thought about too. We may not be meaning the same thing when we talk about fan fiction. I don't mind using somebody else's created worlds, but using the same characters? No. That's just not right unless you are simply having fun in RPGs. Although, come to think of it, I wouldn't like it if somebody for instance used Middle-earth in their published novel/story and they weren't JRR Tolkien.

When I think of fan fiction, it is the type of thing I/we used to write in our teens, imagining ourselves in adventures of whatever kind with characters or celebrities we fancied at the time. And I knkow of adults who still do that. :shock:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby elora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:41 am

What's wrong with New Zealand?

Ask the New Zealanders. They're the ones who keep abandoning their country for Australia. Can't help but trip over them here. They're arriving in droves and have been for decades. I suppose Peter Jackson needs the space for all that filming....and then there is the proliferation of sheep and sheep, frankly, smell pretty rank when you add all their mud and rain.

:ew:

I need to get writing again....All my cognitive energy is consumed with work at present and it is dull, dull, dull. Plus unprofitable. They ain't paying me overtime. :hair:

Now, Fan Fiction.... I will happily borrow another person's world and context, and then insert my own characters. I'll use their history and backstory, and perhaps throw in a reference to an established character. But I am not at all comfortable writing established characters. Somehow, I just can't seem to have as firm a grasp of the inner workings of characters I have not shaped myself.

That said, I think anything that is based in the world/context of someone else is inherently fan fiction. Even if all new characters get up to all new events, the background world and context is the work of another. So I see that as fan fiction. That's just my personal definition, mind you.

Now, seen plenty of TRIPE! I am not a purist or revisionist (I straddle the divide in armoured pants as it can get nasty sometimes). I find the utter revisionists just too far removed from the source fiction and often lacking in the substance for the context that underpins the story as a result. Pallid, thin, facile work. I find the purists hypocrites. A purist writing fan fiction is inherently revising it, unless they're retyping cannon. I loathe hypocrisy, so I have an intellectual dilemma.

I enjoy what borrows enough to give it coherency, recognition and substance, but also introduces new perspectives, characters, events for something different. I suppose that's a bit vanilla of me. I like it a little bit different, a little bit same...not too much of either... But there you have it. I am bland when it comes to my fan fiction taste.

And, though I am no sheltered ingenue, genuinely surprised by the Elladan/Elrohir fan/slash fiction. :shock: :twisted:
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Here's my profile with links to the two fanfics that I have finished.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1847195/Haddie-Brice
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby elora » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Ahhhhhhh.....relief! 8)

Writing again after what seems like a very long time but is only 2 or 3 weeks. I suspect the relief is twofold. One, I enjoy the cognitive contortions writing requires of my itty bitty brain. Like a mental workout. Two, I usually surrender something when life requires all of my resources. It's calling choosing your battles. Part of being a grown up. The fact that I have picked writing back up means things are steadying out and that is also a source of relief.

I have found ground that is steadier...thus I can use it as a creative springboard again without fearing it will crumble away beneath my feet before I even manage to take flight.
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm

I have found ground that is steadier...thus I can use it as a creative springboard again without fearing it will crumble away beneath my feet before I even manage to take flight.

Me too. It's the reason I've been a bit -uh- preoccupied of late to contribute here. But that's no excuse people. Dialogue without me. I'm just the angry facilitator. It takes a village to raise a good writer. :shock:

I'm actually stuck writing from a female human character's point of view. It's not easy to do if you want to be believable about it. This is why I study female comic book writers (and fiction writers) for a believable and dynamic perspective. Scoff about the comic book reading if you will (and I used to be right there with you in my haughty Lit major days), but gleaning a feminine perspective not only through dialogue and percieved visual action on an inked page goes a long way to explain a set scene whereas a woman writing exposition would do so from the female author's point of view if not the character's interpretation of surroundings. Of course, with truly gifted writers, the gender difference won't shine through. :?

But this is space opera (quasi erotica) and the female protaganist happens to be a human abducted by extraterrestials who keep her prisoner and she's forced to endure all sorts of havoc while looking for her also kidnapped infant son who was seperated from her by the same aliens. That's one angle (or character view) of this incredibly massive George R.R. Martin like narrative where I hope to have multiple characters with the underlying theme of humanity's place in a populated universe whose denizens don't particularly care for homo sapiens all that much. So much more without giving it away, and it's bad luck to give it away. :angry:
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Me too. It's the reason I've been a bit -uh- preoccupied of late to contribute here. But that's no excuse people. Dialogue without me. I'm just the angry facilitator. It takes a village to raise a good writer. :shock:

I'm actually stuck writing from a female human character's point of view. It's not easy to do if you want to be believable about it. This is why I study female comic book writers (and fiction writers) for a believable and dynamic perspective. Scoff about the comic book reading if you will (and I used to be right there with you in my haughty Lit major days), but gleaning a feminine perspective not only through dialogue and percieved visual action on an inked page goes a long way to explain a set scene whereas a woman writing exposition would do so from the female author's point of view if not the character's interpretation of surroundings. Of course, with truly gifted writers, the gender difference won't shine through and both points of view might be the same. :?

But this is space opera (quasi erotica) and the female protaganist happens to be a human abducted by extraterrestials who keep her prisoner and she's forced to endure all sorts of havoc while looking for her also kidnapped infant son who was seperated from her by the same aliens. That's one angle (or character view) of this incredibly massive George R.R. Martin like narrative where I hope to have multiple characters with the underlying theme of humanity's place in a populated universe whose denizens don't particularly care for homo sapiens all that much. So much more without giving it away, and it's bad luck to give it away. :angry:
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby elora » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

You know, I have the same struggle, Poet!

I really find it difficult to write a male character with the sort of depth, male-soaked perspective that I consider rings "true". Oh I play with it, cautiously, but I have yet to write from a male protagonist's viewpoint because I just can't sink deep enough into a male skin for the writing to feel honest.

There is lots of male protagonist fodder for me to immerse myself in. It's permeated my fiction life (no, that is NOT some jibe about gender politics). But I just can't do it. Feels like wearing shoes the wrong size. I suppose I have yet to develop the mental agility skills. My career is one that is founded on the ability to form empathy in a meaningful, genuine way. To see the world from another's perspective. That is what I do. That is what I have been trained for, and most of my clients have been male. I've spent years looking at the world from their eyes. But when it comes to writing male characters with what I amateurishly call "instinctual maleness" so that they ring true for readers, male or female, straight, gay or bi...I struggle. I really do.

At best, I can develop a really awesome two dimensional male character with some glimmer of that third dimension. But 3D and 4D? Nope. Beyond me, for now. Truth told, though, I've not really sunk my teeth into changing it. When it comes to picking protagonists, I go for the easy ground for me - female. I can add all sorts of things to a female character to render her utterly unrecognisable from anyone I know, and still she will feel comfortable for me.

So I say to you, Poet, cudoes! A space opera with a female protagonist. No easy feat. You are brave...or a masochist...or both. No reason why you can't be both. I recommend it and commend you! :)
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Hmm. I can't have this place getting dusty before 100 posts. Or AFTER even. >-O

Let's see. I KNOW! :rofl:

What's your favorite brand of genre EROTICA????? :shock:

You're welcome. 8)
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Re: The Writer's Shrine: There can be only ONE!

Postby Silwen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Not sure that's a topic for TORC. :whistle:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I agree with Sil, and in answer, I personally try my utmost to avoid it in all forms.

In other news, I've been working on one of my originals, and though it doesn't sound like a big deal, I completed a chapter, and it's a big deal for me. :roll:
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 am

Well done, PB! :horse: Long may it continue.

A friend of mine whom I met during my literature studies years ago has succumbed to the allure of the Kindle. While talking to her about it, I tried to put into words why I just don't like reading with eReaders. It seems I am too tactile to enjoy it: the feel of a book contributes massively to my reading experience. It enriches how I visualise what I am reading, adds depth to the mental image and the sound of words, and it cannot be replicated by an eReader. I found that while reading one of my favourite author's novels on a borrowed Kindle, my reading experience was superficial, my imagination was too superficial. That is the death of what reading is to me! Therefore I wouldn't mind using an eReader to read stuff I don't care about, or perhaps some non-fiction (hard facts, hard reading device - the perfect match), but never fiction or poetry.

I always knew that the feel of things was important to me - for instance, I can only truly appreciate a painting hanging in a gallery if I can touch it and feel the brush strokes. Not that easy in museums and galleries, obviously! I was surprised to find, however, that this also goes for books.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby elora » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 pm

TORC sure ain't what it used to be....but now is not the time to get onto how TORC's version of Sharia Law ruined everyone's fun. Let the tut-tuting and finger wagging begin...there's even an emoticon for it. How thoughtful, in a narrow minded tiny itsy bitsy box kind of way. :nono: >-O :roll: =:)

Hmmmm....I divide books into categories. There are books I will read more than once. This is a very small category. Then there are books I will read once. Just once.

Before e-readers, and living where I did, I would end up with rooms filled with books I had read once. Nowhere to drop them off at. Consigned to packing up what was literary dead weight and cart it about with me in my travels. I owned more boxes of books I would never read again than I did of clothes, music or even stuff I used to make food and eat it. Or alcohol.

My point: waaaaaaaay out of balance.

Enter the e-reader. I don't have to buy books I will never read again and cart them about with me. I don't have to wait 2 YEARS until the publisher decides to release a book here, if at all. I still have the books I will carry with me for the rest of my days. Treasured things. Mathoms. But e-readers have saved my back in this regard.

Plus, I read super-duper fast. In order to take a book to keep me busy for a standard flight in this part of the world, I am carrying at least 2, and they never fit into my handbag neatly and they're heavier than my tablet by far.

So, for me, e-readers rock. They have a purpose that I find endlessly useful.

That may make me a philistine, but I read for my pleasure alone. Simple as that. Judge as you see fit, presuming that you don't have anything better to do with your time. :wink:
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby LalaithUrwen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 am

I'm kind of on the fence with eReaders. I have a Nook, and I like it. I like it for travel, and I like it for light reading (which I actually don't do very often). And that's probably why I don't use my Nook too often. I do like it for something like book club where I need to have the book immediately available to me. (That may or may not be related to procrastination issues. :whistle: )

However, nothing will replace an actual book for me. Like Silwen, I love the feel of them, the smell of them, the look of them. In fact, there's a weird phenomenon where you sort of lose all sense of dimension with the eReader. In a physical book, I know where I am, how much longer I have, where favorite quotes are, where story elements are, etc. It's like book proprioception. I can find a passage in a real book, and I would have no idea where it was in an eBook. (I don't quite have a photographic memory, but it's close.)
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 pm

From Erotica to e-Readers? :angry:

*Sighs* :roll:

If we must. At least they're phonetically similar. For the record I was not eliciting samples of eroticism, I merely wanted to know how much of it featured in our little group's private fiction/poetry writing. :cry:

My take on e-readers is that I have little use for them. I download "books" that I cannot get otherwise into my humble little Android replica. Something about the smell of must and serendipity of the bookworm hearkens me back to dusty tomes in an age where everything else about me has strangely morphed into something tech oriented. Maybe it's all the Space Opera fiction rubbing off on me. :?

Worse still ... I could be waxing post-modern. SHOOT ME NOW. :shock:

I've written nearly 20,000 words in the last fortnight. It's a start. It's clunky. But it's coherent ink on a page laid out in a linear plot. A story is shaping up and for once I feel no pressure about making it good. It's more about fleshing the universe I've imagined out of my mind and into tangibility. I've been cranking out about 1,000 words a day at lunch in the office. I'm feeling the inklings of a writing habit forming in my bonehouse as if I can't go a day without it. I've even given a thought to poetry again ... if only squid limericks. :twisted:
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Re: The Writer's Shrine: The Rise of Baron Prometheus!

Postby LalaithUrwen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Squid limericks are a perfectly decent form of writing. :whistle:

Erotica? I don't write it. <shrug>

And I'm duly impressed by your writing output! <insert cheerleader emoticon that TORC doesn't have>

(I'm half-tempted to write a few lines of cheerleader erotica right here and right now. ;) )
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 am

Save the cheerleader, save the world! :D

As far as erotica in my own writing goes, there is none in my fiction unless you count that one story that seems to be erotica, but then turns out to be about a dead body. :P But I do have a few erotic poems, one of which I still consider to be my best poem to date.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby LalaithUrwen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am

...there is none in my fiction unless you count that one story that seems to be erotica, but then turns out to be about a dead body.

Gosh, if I had a dollar for every time this has happened to me, I'd be rich!

:P
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 am

LalaithUrwen wrote:
...there is none in my fiction unless you count that one story that seems to be erotica, but then turns out to be about a dead body.

Gosh, if I had a dollar for every time this has happened to me, I'd be rich!

:P

Image Should I be worried?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

As far as erotica in my own writing goes, there is none in my fiction unless you count that one story that seems to be erotica, but then turns out to be about a dead body.

:mightysquid: ... for not letting me know about it earlier. Remit to: baronprometheus@gmail.com

Squid limericks are a perfectly decent form of writing.

HP Lovecraft and I both agree. =:)

(I'm half-tempted to write a few lines of cheerleader erotica right here and right now.)

Seriously. If you're going to keep TEASING me like this I'm not sure we can be friends. :blush: (RE: send to email above) :angeldevil:

No, MOD MONKEYS, I'm not condoning erotica or necrophilia on TORC. I'm condoning it at my personal, very far off site email. :nono:

No, in fact I'm not ... (He lies, precious. He lies. Give it. GIVE IT TO USSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!) :D

Ahem ... considering a title change for the thread. I'm open to changing SHRINE to something a little less ominous without losing the marrow of the writing topics we dialogue here. Any suggestions?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 am

A_Simple_Poet wrote:
As far as erotica in my own writing goes, there is none in my fiction unless you count that one story that seems to be erotica, but then turns out to be about a dead body.

:mightysquid: ... for not letting me know about it earlier. Remit to: baronprometheus@gmail.com

You've already read it. :P It was called The Betrayal or Betrayals, something like that.

Ahem ... considering a title change for the thread. I'm open to changing SHRINE to something a little less ominous without losing the marrow of the writing topics we dialogue here. Any suggestions?

Oscar's trash can. :D (Or whatever teh English equivalent of "Oskars Tonne" is.)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Well ... we got 100 reasonably decent posts in to this thing and it hit the skids. :(

I've nothing to say ... anyone? Anyone????? :?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Re: The Writer's Shrine: Now Serving Squid stuffed with Ital

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm working(writing). Get back to ya! :P
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 am

And I'm working (not writing). :D I see we have Italian-stuffed squid here. Sounds familiar. :mightysquid:

I have finally managed to finish reading a book again, which is saying something. Normally, the more I read, the more I write. I really need to get back into reading first to get any kind of inspiration though.

Is there a book or an author whose writing gets you in the mood to write every time?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

Pretty much everything I read makes me want to work on one project or another. :roll:
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby elora » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 pm

"Well ... we got 100 reasonably decent posts in to this thing and it hit the skids"

Geez - I haven't taken a holiday since 2006! I was well overdue one. I refuse to be guilty for adventuring to places beyond internet and cell phone reach. :-P
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby elora » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Bumpity-bump...or boom chicka wow wow! :wink:

Amazing what happens when you take a holiday! Came up with a whole pre-quel to the Legacy arc. It had been rolling about my skull, lonely for little else is rolling in there to keep it company, for months now. Had an idea, it faded. Thought it snuffed out - that happens, probably not that good an idea...cognitive natural selection, if you will. But boom, resurfaced! :D

Shame writing doesn't pay the bills, or garner the necessary funds for further holidays. Oh, the woes of the proletariat!
elora
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:19 pm

GRRRRRR!!!! I wish I could run a patch-cord from my brain, to the computer, so instead of trying to type, the words for my stories would just appear, then I could edit and rearrange as I pleased.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 am

Speaking of editing, I've got to do just that. I told a friend of mine that I used to write a lot - we only met two years ago, so that was a while after I stopped writing and she had no idea - and she said she will keep pestering me to submit some of my work for competitions this year. So here I go, looking through my stash of writing and deciding what to submit. Coincidentally, this March there is a brand new short story competition in my city, so I will send them two of my stories and hope for the best. Last night I read through them and found a few bits that need tweaking. I guess that's what happens if you haven't reaed your own work for years. :shock: Luckily I think that in general those stories are still very good!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Re: The Writer's Shrine: Just ... wow.

Postby A_Simple_Poet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:07 pm

All my writer friends have settled down.
And they seem to be more into dusty poems.
Nobody wants to get high on coffee now.
Everybody wants to write alone.

I myself have seen my better days.
And I still grapple with that fierce blank page.
Still I need a group of friends to hang around.
But nobody wants to post or make a sound.
Cause all my writer friends have settled down.

(Okay, yes ... I stole it from a Hank Williams, Jr. song lyric. Paraphrased really.) So what's going on?
A_Simple_Poet
Ranger of the North

Re: The Writer's Shrine: The Return of the Hardboiled.

Postby Silwen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20 pm

In writing? Not much. In life? Also not much. My health is making it difficult to get things done though writing would be a possibility, but I seem to lack the need to write now.

I am jealous of one of Mark's friends who is now a published writer and has a good publishing deal too. I am surprised by how much that bothers me! Perhaps it wouldn't if I genuinely believed they were better at writing than me. :P

My need to create seems to have shufted from poems and short fiction to my business around knitting instead. I am even contemplating becoming a professional knitting and spinning instructor now.
Silwen
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris