The Last Ringbearer

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

The Last Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:55 am

Has anybody read this book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

How correct is it, factually and is it of any interest to normal LotR-fans?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: The Last Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:57 am

I've got it as an e-book, but I haven't read it yet. I think the idea is interesting. I like thinking about other people's points-of-view in stories, and playing the what-if game because I think it means you understand the story itself more clearly.

Saying that, as it is written from the point-of-view of the bad guys, some people might not like it that much. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby siddharth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:07 am

heliona wrote:Saying that, as it is written from the point-of-view of the bad guys, some people might not like it that much. :)

I'm certainly not one of those. As you said, it's very appealing and interesting to read the story from the POV of a different side.
However if it's more of a fanfic-type thing or has gross inaccuracies, then I am not interested in it.
That's what drew me into asking the question here. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 am

From what I've heard, it's very well-written and not like a fan-fic. (Saying that, I've read some excellent fan-fic, that's turned out to be well-written and better than the source material. [I don't read LotR fanfiction, though.])

I've also got Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien which does seem to be a fan-fic, and I've heard it's not very well-written. But I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment directly (although the summary did strike me as rather fan-ficcy).

The summary says that the author was inspired to write it because his daughters asked where the heroines were in LoTR, and since I have an issue with people constantly complaining that there aren't many/any strong female characters in Tolkien's world (there are plenty of books that don't have strong female characters in them, but they don't get complained about. Also, the women of Middle-earth are very strong, they just don't play a large role in LotR, which quite frankly is realistic, in my opinion, but that's another debate. :D ) it struck me as being like fan-fiction. How it got published is rather surprising to me (although the Tolkien Estate did at one point want all copies to be pulped).

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby frito bugger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:51 am

Would like to read all that,for a laugh,but wouldnt pay a jot for it.
frito bugger
Citizen of Imladris

Postby solicitr » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Lucky for the authors and publisher Russian law doesn't recognize foreign copyrights, or they'd be receiving a rather stiff communication from Blackburn Maier LLC.
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby ngaur » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am

The idea leaves me cold, just as would telling Star Wars from Darth Vaders point of view.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 pm

As I said, that alternative point-of-view is not for everyone. I personally find it interesting, as it leads me to think about the original source material more deeply. It is for that reason that I have found some Harry Potter fabric very thought-provoking.

heliona

Postby Gadget2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 am

By definition, this is fan-fic. Not even remotely interested.
Last edited by Gadget2 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Corsair_Caruso » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Gadget2 wrote:By definition, this is fan-fic. Note even remotely interested.

Aw, some fanfic is actually quite good! I don't know whether or not this falls into that category, but I'm always willing to read fanfiction to see if it is well-written, stirs my emotions, gets me thinking. These are the things I want any fiction to do, and if fan-fiction can do them, then more power to fan-fiction authors!
Corsair_Caruso
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElvenArcher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:47 pm

For the moment, we'll be moving discussion of the 'fanfic' of the Russian Tolkien 're-tellings' to the Scriptorium (where other fanfic is posted). This may change but for now that's the area where you can find fanfic (and discussion thereof). I'm leaving a shadow thread here.
ElvenArcher
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Here's the thread in the Scriptorium, just for ease of navigating to it. :)

heliona

Postby Frelga » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 am

Eh, just posted about it in the Black Arda thread.

It's not exactly written from the POV of the evil guys. It starts with the premise that history is written by victor and therefore the Red Book and other Gondorian sources are not exactly accurate.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris