Elaborating on Dwarves

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Elaborating on Dwarves

Postby GreyWitch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 am

Hi

I'm not sure this is the right forum for my questions, but I don't know where else to put it, since this is related to writing.

I am currently writing a fan fic series set mostly in reclaimed Erebor and I find myself with a lot of unknowns about its layout. For example, would the royal apartments have windows? Or even a balcony? I've seen a few sketches on game-related forums or blogs, but that wasn't made clear there. I have no idea what living quarters could look like in a city built inside a mountain, but I would assume that they need some sort of ventilation, and that maybe the best living quarters (which would be the king's, obviously) would even have openings to the outside of the mountain wall to get fresh air. I'm basing that assumption on the description of Bag End, where the best rooms have windows. That might be a big leap, but it seems logical that Dwarves would follow the same reasoning.

Does anybody agree/disagree or have any better ideas? I would really appreciate some input on this.

Thank you!
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris