My take on Boromir's journey from Gondor to Imladris

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

My take on Boromir's journey from Gondor to Imladris

Postby MithrandirMatheus » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey everyone! Is everything alright?

Here's my idea:

I am willing to write a story about Boromir. It
would take place during The Lord of the Rings, it
would depict his journey, from Gondor to Imladris.

I would create/narrate it, most lileky.

There's some canonical info about what he's been doing while traveling to enlighten me.

He lost his horse, for example. He took 110 days to reach Imladris. He said he went to Imladris seeking the answer(s) for his riddles about Isildur's
Bane. So it might be possible he stopped at many
(familiar) places. Who knows? I could try to fill that gap.

Would you people read it? More importantly, would you help me with English if needed and help me sharing this non-official expanding of the LOTR saga? I will even consider integrating other people's ideas if anyone is interested!

OBS: I'm Brazilian, my native language is Portuguese and I've learned English by myself, that's why I may need all help that could be given!

Thanks in advance, my fellow Tolkien-fans! Cheers!
MithrandirMatheus
Citizen of Imladris

Re: My take on Boromir's journey from Gondor to Imladris

Postby ngaur » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:21 am

Do you mean just the journey? Or everything from the Assault on the bridge at Osgiliath?

Yes there are many familiar places he would likely have stopped by. Most notably Edoras and Bree.

I probably would not read it.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby MithrandirMatheus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 am

I thought about starting the story before the Battle, from the battle until his arrival at Rivendell. But I don't know if it would be a good start (with the battle for Osgiliath).

To be honest, I will write it if there is general interest.
MithrandirMatheus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby BerenVonRictoffen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 am

We know from the Appendices Boromir sets out from Minas Tirith on July 4th, and arrived at Rivendell on the night of October 24th-- a journey of is 101 days.

The phrase "he lost his horse" is somewhat ambiguous, since Eomer tells Aragorn that "Long has Boromir son of Denethor been gone seeking an answer, and the horse that we lent him came back riderless." So the horse didn't actually die, but he did lose it.

This implies that Boromir traveled to Edoras-- likely on a horse of his own-- and was loaned a horse of Rohan; since a man of Gondor can actually travel farther in a day than an ordinary horse carrying a rider, thus Boromir would seek a horse of Rohan which can go farther .
From Meduseld, Boromir traveled through the gap of Rohan, with the horse running off back to Rohan at some point (as they're known to do, as did Hasufel and Arod).
From there Boromir continued his journey on foot to Rivendell.
As he tells Celeborn at Lorien:
When I was sent out as a messenger, I passed through the Gap by the skirts of the White Mountains, and crossed the Isen and the Greyflood into Northerland. A long and wearisome journey. Four hundred leagues I reckoned it, and it took me many months; for I lost my horse at Tharbad, at the fording of the Greyflood.

Take from that what you will.
BerenVonRictoffen
Shield Bearer

Postby ngaur » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:42 pm

You might take the chance to work with some of the characters LotR:s doesn't have much focus on. Such as Theodred. Like Boromir the first son of a ruler and around the same age I think.

Also on further thought, depending on which way Boromir went after Tharbad he may not have come across Bree at all.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby scirocco » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 am

Mods please move to Writing.
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Postby solicitr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:09 am

From Meduseld, Boromir traveled through the gap of Rohan, with the horse running off back to Rohan at some point

The point was Tharbad, where the Greyflood could be crossed by a dangerous ford formed by the ruins of the old bridge. (Oddly, the Nine seemed to have no problem with this crossing)
solicitr
Ranger of the North

Postby White Shadow » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:43 pm

MithrandirMatheus, I don't think you should write for other people, but write what you feel you need/want to. Good luck. :)

scirocco wrote:Mods please move to Writing.

Indeed, I will, because it was more appropriate there, although I will leave a shadow thread in Books. In the future, scirocco, if you see anything else that requires a Mod's attention, even something as simple as this, please would you "report" it using the "report" button (the upside-down triangle with the exclamation mark in it, next to the "quote" button)? It's very easy for us to miss a post bringing something to our attention, particularly if it's not the last post in a thread, but we see the reports almost as soon as we log in.

~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby ltnjmy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

I would love to read a fan-fiction story about Boromir's long journey to Rivendell to Gondor. It would be great and perhaps throw in something about meeting Theodred in Edoras or getting soaked at Tharbad. :)
ltnjmy
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris