Nit-Picky details\questions for writing stories...

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby TheE.I.Cebu » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:00 am

Still wondering about this one!
TheE.I.Cebu wrote:
Here's a question to add also... Strider does not go to the feast that welcomes Frodo back (FOTR) even though Arwen is there. He was talking to Elrohir and Elladan. They had important news for him. What was that news?

And another one...Which is a really stupid question, but since right now I don't have access to any books. (They are off-limits during finals) I was wondering... Faramir stays in Minas Tirith doesn't he? and doesn't he continue being Steward? Is Eowyn presented with a title? When do they have their first child?
Thanks to whomever can figure it out!
Cebu
TheE.I.Cebu
Shield Bearer

Postby WithyWyrm » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:25 pm

No idea about the first one.

Si, Faramir becomes steward of Gondor, but, if memory serves, he moved to his favorite part of the country and became "Prince of Ithilien". I don't believe Eowyn is given a title, other than "Maiden of the Shieldarm".
As for whether and when they had children, I have no idea.
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:09 am

TheE.I.Cebu wrote:Still wondering about this one!
TheE.I.Cebu wrote:
Here's a question to add also... Strider does not go to the feast that welcomes Frodo back (FOTR) even though Arwen is there. He was talking to Elrohir and Elladan. They had important news for him. What was that news?

And another one...Which is a really stupid question, but since right now I don't have access to any books. (They are off-limits during finals) I was wondering... Faramir stays in Minas Tirith doesn't he? and doesn't he continue being Steward? Is Eowyn presented with a title? When do they have their first child?
Thanks to whomever can figure it out!
Cebu

King Elessar officially confirms Faramir as hereditary Steward of Gondor, and makes him Prince of Ithilien, during the coronation. It's implied that Aragorn expects Faramir to help with the clearing out of Minas Morgul; a task which will take decades or more. Eowyn isn't given any specific title, but it could be that she was the Princess of Ithilien after she married Faramir.

Faramir does move to Emyn Arnen, the hills at the edge of Ithilien, within sight of Minas Tirith. Tolkien says in HoME (History of Middle-Earth) v. 12 that a fair new house was built for Faramir in Emyn Arnen, and Legolas designed the gardens, which became quite famous.

Faramir's grandson Barahir is mentioned as the writer of "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" quoted in part in the LOTR Appendices. It's not said whether he inherits the Stewardship or is a younger son. Faramir and Eowyn's son Elboron is only mentioned in HoME, not LOTR itself...

Faramir will probably, as Steward, spend a lot of time in Minas Tirith. I personally assume he'll stay in the Steward's quarters, and often bring Eowyn with him. JRRT says in his LETTERS that Faramir will go to war with Aragorn, in which case Imrahil would stay behind and act as Steward. There are also times when Faramir would stay behind and run the show...

Faramir lives to the age of about 120; dying in (I think) year 83 of the Fourth Age. As far as I know, no mention is made of Eowyn's death date...

In one draft of the Appendix, JRRT said that Faramir and Eowyn married "in the king's house of Rohan" in 3020. (HoME v.12)

In case you didn't know, Eomer marries Faramir's cousin Lothiriel, Prince Imrahil's daughter. They have a son named Elfwine; who supposedly grows up to strongly resemble Imrahil...

RAKSHA THE DEMON 8) , Faramir's archivist
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby WritersWraith » Sat May 07, 2005 8:06 pm

An archivist? Really?
I've been wondering--what does Faramir's 'dwelling' in Ithilien turn out to be? Is it more like a house or a city?
WritersWraith
Citizen of Imladris

Postby *yona* » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:04 pm

Hello!
This thread seems to have slipped for quite a while, but I'm going to put a comment on here anyway. Rivendell's weather intrigues me.
I would think that it would have to have every sort of weather that the rest of the world would get, in accordance with the latitudinal positioning and height above sea level, but perhaps it would be a little gentler there. For one thing, because of the fact that it is a very steep, and narrowish, valley, the the wind would be somewhat cut, compared to the rest of the 'Wild', and so blizzards perhaps only happen very infrequently, though they might occur at intervals.
The same with rain, the storm might be going full fury on the plateau above, but it would only be a hurried downpour in Rivendell.
And of course sunshine would come straight in, but I would imagine, logistically, that sunrises and sunsets would be impossible to see from Rivendell proper because of being in the valley. And the dawn would always come with a goodly period of 'soft light' until the sun rose high enough to shine in, and the same effect would produce a liberal amount of twilight time. Which I supose elves liked, which is convenient!
Well, I guess I'd live there!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby elerrina_narloth » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:29 am

ok, there have been two answers here that are drastically wrong, and it si bugging me! there are not many elf children because elves do not bear children in time of war, which is almost always, read the other tolkien books, they actually give good info. and Saruman got into the shire because the dunadain WERE WITH ARAGORN! the grey company? heard of it? maybe you should read the books!
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris