blame it on the Vicodin

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

blame it on the Vicodin

Postby Arwen740 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:02 pm

Here's a little song I've written. I spend a lot of time resting in bed so every now and then a song comes to me. This one needs a rock melody and I'll get that done soon. Anyway, the lyrics may need tweaking but this is what has come together so far. :)

Vessel of Souls

verse1
In my dreams ride naked horsemen
Coursing through the veins of time
Riders from Ossetian legend
'Cross Sarmatian Steppes they climb
Ancient warriors tell a story
Of a cauldron black as coal
And they take me on a journey
To seek the Vessel of Souls

verse2
Through the shifting sands of visions
To the land beyond the czars
I ride on to distant regions
To rest on a bed of stars
In the Valley of Remembrance
There's a legend I am told
Of a sacrificial penance
To the Vessel of Souls

chorus
Throw my sword into the ocean
And the waters turn to red
Give my body to the cauldron
To the vessel I am fed
By the wind and sword I promise
To have settled my last score
To the ocean's restless mistress
I return the sword of war

verse3
Sonoluminescent visions
Rise above the drifting sands
There must be no more divisions
In between the tribes of man
Ancient warriors come to claim us
To exact their mortal toll
For it is their goal to feed us
To the Vessel of Souls

(Strange things come from dreams, LOL).
Last edited by Arwen740 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

blame it on the Vicodin

Postby Arthedainian » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:32 am

Why do I feel a Jefferson Airplanish vibe to this one?? House at Poohneil Corners or something?

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! :)
Arthedainian
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen740 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:34 am

After midnight ramblings...
Pain I see before me, brighter than the screen. The meds don't work long enough and I am tossed out of bed by the knife in my spine. For so many years I've patiently dealt with it, dutifully done my exercises and gone to therapies. I've been through 4 jobs in the last 3 years. Now I fight hyperventilation. Must stay calm and not shiver. Must wait for awhile to take a pain killer. What a way to lose weight! No appetite, no sleep, not much upstairs. Must think, must deal with it, must get through the night.

The recent operation took care of a disc that has affected nerves affecting internal organs. Now the other disc that hurts like hell, I must wait till I heal to deal with. Must get back to my art and writing. Want so much to draw but have to be patient. It will come with time. Need to rest. I look forward to camping in the mountains again with my Crispy. :) Must look ahead. Must think. Must rest.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen740 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 am

Ah, I didn't see you there, Arth! :)

Thank you.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Terry D » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:54 am

Dearest flower in all the Garden, hear our words of love, Arwen you are our Treasure fair, you were chosen for a different dance!

Arwen your words, your soul... magic!

Melodic voice, souls skip and play,
awaken, dear one, to this, this our day!
Dance in shared song, meander gracefully,
bring your refreshed reflection, swirling slowly.
Songs of joy, of wisdom, of pain, songs merriment,
all in beauty, all in peace, escape temporary torment.

Dance unto the moon's embrace, on fragile wings of colorful dust,
sing liquid into solid, transform those hidden chambers, mysterious.
Weave a womb of silk, words, wishes, in silent catacombs of sacred lust,
sing in shadows, sing in light, transform within our protective shells of trust.

Songs, fluttering on wings, in night of dreams,
as butterflies, softly lay eggs on moonlit leaves.
Dance through silvery shadows, dance with death,
dance of life, deep within, upon the palm of the earth.
Tears, in silver threads, droplets on our cheeks they lay,
glistening crysalises in the dark, dreaming of rising, glory day!

Dance unto the moon's embrace, on fragile wings of colorful dust,
sing liquid into solid, transform those hidden chambers, mysterious.
Weave a womb of silk, words, wishes, in silent catacombs, sacred hush,
sing in shadows, sing in light, transform within our protective shells of trust.

~~~~~excerpt from the Butterfly Garden *April 27, 2002~~~~~

Arwen awakens and smiles as she hears melodic voices skip and play like a trickling brook through the garden. Some voices dance along, sparkling and laughing on the surface, catching the sunlight with their voices. Some voices meander in the cool depths, swirling slowly, gracefully in deep thought. All bring refreshment and reflection to the Earth, songs of joy, songs of wisdom, songs of pain, songs of merriment. All in beauty, all in peace.

In the night of my dreams I heard the fluttering of wings. I watched a moth lay her eggs upon moonlit leaves. She danced through silvery shadows, a dance of life, a dance of death. Soon she would fade among the fallen leaves.
One by one her thread-like children emerged to feast upon succulent plants. Soon fattened on sun-drenched leaves, they dropped one by one to the ground to dig their hidden chambers. Deep within the palm of the earth, cupped in silent catacombs, each caterpillar wove a womb of silk. Like tear drops of the earth they lay, glistening crysalises in the dark, each dreaming of rising into the moon's embrace on fragile wings of colorful dust.
Now unfolding in mysterious transformation within their protective shells, now liquid, now solid, the self is a confusion of change. The soft owl-eyed creatures churn in confinement as they begin to press open their tombs with slender legs. Their tiny wrinkled wings emerge wet and pliant as the furry moths dig their way to the surface. Soon the wings grow and straighten under the cover of night as the moths pump fluid into them. Then they will rise to weave their shimmery night song into the fabric of darkness.

One chrysallis lies still within the earth. Its dreams have been invaded by spores, fungi that feed upon dreams of flight. The night stems of hunger descend to invade the fragile walls of the cocoon, to halt the growth of the moth, to steal its wings. Soon the fleshy stem will emerge from the moist soil, a smooth phallus of death rising into the dead leaves, its cap engorged with the dreams of flight.

Early the next morning a child walks through the forest, her dark eyes anxiously searching the ground. She crouches down to inspect the soil, carefully brushing away dead leaves in the cool shadows. She surprises a sleeping moth and as it flutters drowsily away beneath the trees, the girl smiles. She knows it is near. Soon her keen eyes spot the slender white fungus and her fingers tenderly pluck it from the earth. Moments later she arrives breathless at her father's home. Rushing in she deposits the small mushroom into her mother's hands. The delicate fungus would be added to the others that she has collected and together these would be made into a medicine for her father. Soon his illness will abate as wings of healing unfold within his heart. For this fungus of death carries a dream, a gentle dream of moonlit flights. And this caterpillar was chosen for a different kind of dance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unique Awen, you ARE our most precious seed, of hope, of joy, of loving~kindess,.. dance on dear one, dance and sing with us, your friends, your lovers... dance your "different dance".
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Terry D » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:42 am

Arwen, perhaps this moment's torment, this pain is not meant for debilitating despair, but, to awaken you, to revive your gift? Perhaps this will give you the time to release the songs in your heart? Perhaps a new career? A songstress? Yes, why not try to find some fortunate one to record your musical soul? I believe in you. I know you could write songs that would inspire us, and make us realize what is important, what is fading fast from this tortured world man is creating... your songs shared would be magic!

Try to publish you lyrics! We all believe in you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Butterfly in Willow, fading, fading ever~fast,
she dreams, dancing in shadows, Garden's Past,
remember me, touching you, call the nights sacred rest,
as torment, torture fades within, despair that will not last.

Become the flower in your heart, unfold your petals, golden dust,
wander through this dance of dreams, through solemn shadows slush,
awaken, held by arms serene, in moonlit memories, skin gently flushed,
as morning rises in your veins, daylight surges clear, fade not, rest with dusk.
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Terry D » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:40 am

Arwen740
Butterfly in Willow
Date Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:01 pm
Tapestry of Love

High above the valley, nestled deep within the old forest, there stood a small house. An old woman and her three lovely daughters lived together there. The woman spent her days weaving tapestries to sell in the villages and country bazaars. She would often sing songs to herself as she sat for hours weaving upon her loom.

One day the woman fell ill. She called her three daughters to her and asked for their help. She told them of a dream she'd had of a beautiful tapestry. In the tapestry was woven the picture of a large home surrounded by gardens and streams. There were delicate butterflies and birds flying amongst colorful flowers there. She bade the girls to go out into the world and find beautiful, magical things with which the mother would weave her last tapestry, a tapestry of love for them. The three daughters promised to do this errand for their mother. They promised to not become married until their task was completed.

Soon after the three girls started their journey, the two oldest daughters met two wealthy strangers. The two girls were entranced with the ornate carriages and sumptuous clothing of the two men. The men were eager to have them for their wives so they took the two girls away. And so the youngest daughter continued alone on her journey.

As she walked along the road in the early mornings she often found and collected spiderwebs with wings of butterflies. In the evenings she gathered strands of colorful sunset clouds. Next to these, she carefully placed fragrant flower petals and delicate feathers into her bag. After a time she met a great crane who, after hearing of her errand, gave some of his soft feathers to her. Then he offered to fly her back to her home.

When they both arrived at the girl's home, her mother was overjoyed to see them. The mother set to work at once to weave the tapestry and as she wove, she sang songs to herself. When she had finally finished weaving, the girl took strands of her mother's music and wove it into the fabric. Then it was night and the three lay down to sleep.

While they lay sleeping the tapestry began to grow and stretch until it was much larger than the house. Then it covered the countryside with brilliant colors and patterns. When the old woman, her daughter and the crane awoke the next morning they found themselves inside of a beautiful home surrounded by gardens and streams. They rubbed their eyes in amazement at the wondrous site that greeted them. Butterflies danced among the flowers to the melody of the water. The trees were laden with sweet pears and oranges. They were now living in the tapestry. And because of his great love for the girl, the crane was transformed by the tapestry into a handsome prince. The prince, the girl and her mother lived forever in the new world that they had created. The end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post 322
Snowdog
Mariner
Date Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:04 pm
Now that is Arwen740!
Beautiful story!
Welcome back!
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Arwen740 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:39 am

Gentle Hugs to you, dear Terry d. :)
The garden inspired me so with its deep valley, butterfly trees and tender spirits.
Thank you for sharing some of those memories of the old forest again. :)
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby Julia_elf » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:51 pm

Ah, someone enjoys puzzle pieces from the past, stories within stories and ancient roots. :P :)

I shall always remember the Garden, dear TerryD. :wink:
Julia_elf
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Terry D » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:26 pm

Here's something nice,.. a prayer, I've picked up along the way...

Think in your spirit, feel in your soul, and say with your force of life:

"With love and gratitude,
I offer my loving "thank you" filled with light.
To the Mother Earth, thank you;
To the Water of Life, thank you;
To the precious air, thank you;
To the sacred fire, thank you;
To the stable minerals, thank you;
To the plants, thank you;
To the animals, thank you;
To humanity walking on the path of discovery, thank you;
To all of the angels, thank you;
To the Cosmic Intelligence which created my thought, thank you;
To the ocean of Love which created my sensibility, thank you;
To the Universal Life which impregnated my future with the seed of individuality, thank you;
To all of the beings of the world, I give my "thank you" within Him, the unique Source who unites all beings within the origin and the goal."

Fold your arms on your chest, bow slightly your head, and pronounce the word of conclusion:

"Amen".

nice~nice... "within the origin and the goal"! Nice~nice! :D

Amen and Amen! :)
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Arwen740 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 am

My beautiful writers and lovers of fantasy, art and nature.
I remember this beautiful dream, a valley of peace, friendship,
imagination and fantasy.
I have felt your presence with me for the last few years. I return once
more to conclude my thread here.
Hugs to old friends.
I've posted my lyrics on a site where musicians collaborate. Hopefully
someone will find my little song worth building on.

http://www.forums.myvirtualband.com/read.php?16,15064

I am Goldberry and have posted in the Original Lyrics forum at
my virtual band. I'd love for someone to take my words and
breath life into them. I cannot play, perform or mix my music. I just
hear it in my head, and sing it in the shower, LOL.
I am working now and feeling pretty good. I'm battling a race with
melanoma but hope to keep ahead of the disease. I was taking archery
but was in the sun too much. There was no shade to protect me here in the desert so I quit shooting, for now. Now I'm taking bellydance. :)
Humbly I come to touch the valley walls, to dance in the meadow and swim
in the streams. I dream of forests and golden flowers.
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:41 pm

Arwen my dear friend! :hug: (((HUGS))) :hug:

It is good to see you again! Come, let us dance together, a Turkish delight. I too have gotten into bellydance, but I admit I have slacked off with it. I think it is such a beautiful expression of feeling to dance so. I need to get back into it.

I have read and listened to your song from the twilight link, and I think it is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us! I wish I was more musically inclined to be able to help you with this. I do have to say that your voice is quite enchanting! It would be great to hear you sing the track at a studio!

My thoughts and prayers are with you in beating this evil my friend!
:hug: (((HUGS))) :hug:

And if you should wish to visit again, I have found a way back... back to the Butterfly Garden of old! I remember it well! Come with me and dance and sing, swim in silken scarves among the crystal clear waters!
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby RavenTinuviel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:53 am

Oh Arwen, I showed and played your file for my hubby Daniel, and he liked so much he said he would maybe try and do something with it in an acoustical Gothic style.
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwen740 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:18 pm

How exciting!!! You are such a sweetheart Raven.
I think of this Sarmatian myth/ Arthurian Grail story as
a search for the feminine, the compassionate Goddess, Mother Earth,
the female half of God.
Yes, any and all are invited to play with this song, to try to perform it or embellish. I would be flattered.
Peace
Arwen740
Ranger of the North

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris