If I really went to Middle Earth

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Lady_Larien » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:20 am

Linsul- Are you going to continue posting your story in here or are you going to post it in the RR or both? JW Please post soon!! *waiting patiently* :whistle: :D

~Lari~
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 am

Hi, Linsul! :D :hug: Just dropping in to say hi, and to echo Larien's question. Your story is fantastic! :D
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Lady_Larien » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:05 am

I miss this story :cry2: You are causing me to suffer from "anticipationcitus" Linsul!! lol jk I don't know if you can even tell what that word means hehe :D

~Lari~
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_Larien » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:07 am

hmmm....looks like a BUMP is in order!!

:D :D

~Lari~
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tuima » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:36 pm

Looks like an invasion of IMMIES is in order! Linsul, where have you gone? Do you want to be Quested?
Tuima
Rider of the Mark

Postby *~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Oi! Hi, guys! I am (unfortunately) in a state of confusion. I do not know what to do with the whole english thing, and movie vs. book thing. Hmmmm hmm hmm.
*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~*
Rider of the Mark

Postby prmiller » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:23 am

Now, if I went to Middle Earth
would there be orcs and trolls about?
Would there be spiders, cruel and bold,
would war-cries be what I must shout?
Or will there we an end to that,
and once where epic battles raged,
will there be inns and gentle towns,
where feasts are held, and thirsts assuaged?
Now, if I really went to see,
Osgiliath in shining joy,
would I find streets with banners hung,
and troubadours their songs employ?
Would Minas Tirith gleam as bright
as legends tell from years before,
what would I find in Middle Earth
if should find a magic door?

What would I find in Middle Earth?
I really wish to know.

Bright blessings,
Parm :D
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Lady_Larien » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Linsul yay! you've returned! LOL umm about the english/language thing....if it were ME, I'd probably just do the best I could with making the languages correct etc... b/c you don't want to compromise your main idea (the story)! or leave all of us in suspense! :pull: :lol: But don't waste all your energy in the languages b/c I'm sure that we all won't care THAT much!! :wink: And on the movie vs. the book, I'd go with whatever comes easiest or naturally to you at the time or both intermingled. Those are just suggestion but I hope they help! I REALLY miss your story!!!!!! You rock :hug:

~Lari~

:horse:
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby *~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:36 pm

AHA! Chapter Six is re-written and Chapter Seven is made!

:)

Yes, finally. I know, I know.

Now, could other authors, *coughcoralie!cough* follow me? Yes? No? Please?

A/N: I am going by a mix of movie verse and book verse, just so you know. I love the books, but the movies make it simpler. Sorry to all you book fans- I’ll try to put as much book verse as I can in.

To all my reviewers: I love you all, and thank you so much for your kind words! I hope you enjoy the rest!

Chapter Six: Of Edoras and Acne

I first saw the city at sunset. I had spotted two people on horseback, and was trying to call to them when I reached the hill-top and beheld Edoras, more beautiful and breathtaking than any picture or movie would have been able to convey. The Golden Halls upon the top of that large hill shone in the reddish light of the sunset, looking like what I thought heaven must look like. It was the best thing I'd seen since I'd come here.

I stood still, simply admiring the city, no longer watching the solitary horse with it's two riders. It was just as I had imagined it- only a hundred times better.

The folks at TORC would get a kick out of this, I thought, suddenly remembering all my friends there. I wished they could've come, too. Maybe then I wouldn't've made so many mistakes- or lost those two boys. I felt a prickle of guilt, and looked down.

White flowers dotted the ground at the foot of the hill. There were small, irregular hills down there- burial mounds, I realized. Two men were standing amongst them, one before a mound and weeping, the other simply standing there, comforting the other with his presence.

I lost my breath, and my throat closed. I realized, with the excitement only a Lord of the Rings fan can get, that Théoden, king of Rohan, and Gandalf the White were below.

Thud! I turned to see what had made the sound. The horse I had been following had just lost one of it's riders, and the other, a little girl, clung to the saddle, looking fearfully over at the boy on the ground.

The two men looked up, and Gandalf hurried to them, with a swiftness that seemed odd for someone who was - or at least, appeared to be - so old. Tentatively I made my way down to them.

"Hwaet?" I said, using the Rohirric word for hello.

Théoden looked up. "Hwæt eart thu?"

"Allysandra," I said, hoping I understood him correctly, "Er- I was- attacked- by Wild men. Er... Wild Men," What had Blostma called them? "Wylde menne?" I guessed, knowing that most likely it was not right.

"Wilde ielde sucan!" the little girl had leapt off their mount and was sobbing into her brother's chest. He nodded, and spoke quickly to Théoden in rohirric, who answered equally fast.

Gandalf whispered something to Théoden, who looked at me and nodded. Gandalf then motioned for me to follow him. Suddenly I felt nervous. I hesitated, but decided to go anyways. The girl was placed back on the horse, and her brother led it by the reins behind him. Théoden strode forward and walked beside (and slightly ahead) of Gandalf. Thus I entered Edoras, the great city of Rohan.

They led us up through the main thoroughfare and into the Hall. I was almost trembling with excitement as the guards drew back the door and let us in.

Inside, sat four of the (in my opinion) best people in Middle Earth: the Three Hunters, and Éowyn. I touched my hand to my face, to make sure that I was here for sure.

A bump met my finger.

I blushed profusely as Legolas peered curiously at me, his fair face too much to bear. Acne! Now! In Middle Earth! I groaned, and tried to glare at my traitorous face, which, of course, was impossible.

They sat the four of us (the boy, girl, Lytling and I) down at one of the many wooden tables. Éowyn rushed forward, making sympathetic sounds as we sat. I realized that I must look a sight, all covered with ash and dirt and cuts and bruises. The other two sure did, though they were not coated with ash as I was.

Gandalf spoke, his rough and grumpy voice quickly forming the rohirric words. "Hie swelce secan, hie cweoan, be wilde ielde. Hwa faran ac fetian feorm!"

Éowyn hurried off, returning quickly with three bowls of soup. She looked questioningly at Lytling. "Eart thu hiere modor?" she asked me. I, supposing that she was asking me about Lytling’s mother, shook my head, and she hurried back to what I supposed was the kitchens, returning with milk and an odd, soft gruel. I thanked her, and began to eat, gulping down the food like the two with me.

The others were talking. They were talking in a new language now, a complicated tounge that was totally different from Rohirric; more lyrical, and somehow less interesting. The first person to speak was Aragorn. The voice was Aragorn's, but it was deeper and more dangerous than Viggo Mortensen’s. I found this Aragorn to be more frightening, more intimidating; terrible, but handsome and noble, too.

Gandalf answered in the tounge I assumed was Westron, gesturing at the boy.

Éowyn went and knelt down beside us, speaking softly to first the girl and her brother, then to me. Théoden sat down upon his throne with a great sigh, and Gandalf sat down on his right.

We told her our stories, (though she understood little of mine, thanks to my limited vocabulary), and she rose and spoke. I could not understand what she was saying, but as I watched her face and gestures, I knew what her words must mean. "They had no warning! They were unarmed! Now the wild men are moving through the West Fold, burning as they go, rick, cot, and tree."

"Hwider is Modor?" the little girl asked Éowyn.

"Shhh..." Éowyn put a blanket over the girl's shoulders, trying to comfort her.

Gandalf spoke to Théoden. Again, I (being the obsessive fan that I am) knew well what he said. "This is but a taste of the terror than Saruman will unleash. All the more potently, as he is driven now by fear of Sauron!"

Théoden drew a hand over his eyes, and Gandalf continued to speak. "Ride out and meet him head-on, " he said, placing a hand on the arm of Théoden's throne. "Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight!"

Théoden looked warily at Gandalf. I watched with a mix of awe and horror. Awe, because I was in a room full of the people I had been nuts about since the age of eight, and horror because I knew what would happen next, and was frightened more than ever.

"You have a thousand good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Aragorn spoke earnestly, and his noble face was full with emotion.

Théoden stood, and I crossed my fingers, praying that Théoden would change his mind, or something, and listen to what the others said. Hang the canon! I did not want to be in a battle.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now!" he paced before the throne, “Éomer cannot help us. "

So much for that.

"I know what it is you want of me," he continued, turning to face Gandalf, who had also risen, "But I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not. " Aragorn spoke again. I resisted the urge to go "YEAH!" but I did sit up straighter at this.

Théoden angrily turned and walked to were Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli sat, his face darkening. "When last I looked," he said, the note of challenge clear in his voice, "Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan. "

"Then what is the King's decision?" Gandalf's voice was sharp, and a teensy bit sarcastic.

Théoden turned to him. "We go to Helm's Deep."

Dang it!

Chapter Seven: On the Road Again

I watched Lytling giggle through a mouthful of gruel, her newest and most amusing food source. She was staring at the gathering peoples before us, watching with wide blue eyes totally devoid of bias or cynicism, just a simple curiosity and open delight in the world.

For not the first time, I wondered what her thoughts were at that moment, if they were really any different from an adult’s. I wished that I could remember what it was like to be a baby, what thoughts were contained in their newly-formed minds. What did she see as she looked out at the scene before us?

What I saw was Edoras slowly draining itself of all people, occasionally with the encouragement of a Rohirric soldier. Already the nobles were outside the walls, all mounted and dressed in fine clothing. Only Éowyn was down among her people, helping. The King was given a wide berth by all and the rest of the nobles resident in Edoras were too busy tending to their own needs.

“Alysandra?” A little voice sounded from my elbow. I looked down to see Regen, the little girl from the West Fold. She had clung to myself and her brother since after Theoden’s decision to leave Edoras. She was bewildered by all the activity of the Edoras folk, and was looking worriedly up at me.

“Hwier is Modor?” Where is Mother? She repeated this question, as she had since I had known her. It was a constant mantra for her, revealing how vital her mother was in her life.

“Heo is gemot Helm’s Deep,” I assured her softly, telling her that her mother would most likely meet us at the great stronghold.

She smiled trustingly up at me, and I felt a twinge of guilt for lying.

“Regen! We sculan afaran!” Her brother’s tired voice interrupted our small moment. We must leave!

May I join you? ” I asked in halting rohirric. Regen nodded gratefully , taking my hand and dragging me down to where her brother waited, and then on to the gates.

The boy chattered constantly to his sister as we passed under the gates and out into the fields with a large crowd of people. I could not understand a word he said, but his voice told it all- he was desperately trying to swallow his nervousness at leaving Edoras. I, too, was nervous- Edoras seemed like a small sanctuary midst the hellish battlefield that had been my constant companion since entering Rohan, and I was loathe to leave it. Especially for the battle that lay ahead.

I knew the story, I knew how it would turn out. I mean, wasn’t I one of the most obsessive Tolkien fans anyone had ever known? So why was I afraid?

The truth of the matter was, I knew not whether this was bookverse, movieverse, or some odd combination. I worried that my entrance into this world had thrown off the canon somehow. I promised myself to tread lightly in this world, for fear of dying.

But was it already too late?

~

The purple twilight reigned over the fields, unbroken by any firelight. Fires were banned- the soldiers were nervous enough as it were. No point in drawing attention to ourselves. The whole land was quiet, and we had met not a soul since leaving Edoras. It was enough to drive me insane.

“Uuuuh!” I softly screamed into the cloak I was using as a pillow.

Regen’s brother, Gærs, sat up from his nearby spot. “Hwã!” What?

I made a face. “I’m about to go insane from all this stillness.”

He cocked his head. ““Hwã?”

“I-” I pointed to myself- “ am going to go insane -” I made a really grotesque face and let my eyes grow large and fill with insanity- “because of the silence .” I covered my ears.

His face crinkled up for a second, and he puckered his eyebrows, thinking hard. Then, seemingly abandoning his task of translating, he mimicked my insane look, giggling.

I sighed and went back to screaming, though stopped soon enough, hoping to keep Lytling, who was cuddled against my chest, and Regen, who was pressed in the small of my back, asleep. As I watched Lytling, a soft, warm form amongst the harsh wilderness, so innocent and peaceful in her sleep, I wondered what she dreamed of and wished to dream of it, too.

“We secan findan Modor! We secan findan Mordor! We secan findan Mordor! We secan findan Mordor! We secan findan Mordor! We secan findan Mordor!“ We go to find Mother! We go to find Mother! Regan skipped ahead of Gærs and I, joyful under the blue morning sky.

I was sleepy and uninclined to join her. I had not slept at all, haunted by silent sounds and detailed memories of the burned villages and their dead inhabitants. Gærs was cheerfully awake, however terrifying the sights he may have seen. His eleven-year-old mind was somehow able to leave his memory blissfully blank in such arenas. I envied him this gift, for to me every breath of wind was the enemy, every grass blade that touched me was a wild man’s flame, biting at my flesh.

I had fancied myself brave before, but now I knew that I was no hero, simply a weepy, frightened girl.

I could see the powerful form of Aragorn ahead, astride a horse and clad in dark greens. He was the real hero in this tale. And I hoped very much that he would come through for us all.
*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~*
Rider of the Mark

Postby balrogthane » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:00 am

YAY!!!!!

Most excellent. So glad to see you aren't dead! :thumbsup:

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Dilly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm

Loverly, loverly. Good for you! Hows ya bin this past while?

Dilly
Dilly
Shield Bearer

Postby Eredolyn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:28 am

Wow. I have a delayed reaction of a couple weeks before I actually post something. :shock:
Great stuff, lin! Hey when you say "Regen and Gaers", you're talking about the two kids that rode to Edoras to warn the king and look for their mother, right? If that's the case, then their names are "Freda and Eothane" (that's what they're called in the movie, anyway). Extra glad to see you writing! Yee-ha!

Hey, we're moving on in WFDTOF and we've left the muse pool and seperated into groups again. Since you haven't been on the thread for a while, we kinda shuffled you into the group that's going to meet the Cosairs (you're gonna have to ask us about that) :D. Post on there if you still want to go a-questing! Cheers!
-Ere
Eredolyn
Shield Bearer

Postby Tuima » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 pm

A hearty second to the above! This was great; I'm so glad to see y' ain't dead! Now, you can prove it to us by showing up on WFDtOF... We miss you!
Tuima
Rider of the Mark

Postby *yona* » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm

Hey Linsul!
Post something! Please?
How about Chapter 9? Oh, and whichever way you want to go, (it Is your story!:)) but the Dunharrow thing is Always left out of All the accounts.
I know Eowyn gets included if you all pile off to Helm's Deep, but there could be some, 'I'm stuck in here for ages, with people I can't talk with, this is really boring!' if you went to Dunharrow. Boredom seems to be greatly left out in fanfics. But then that isn't it suprising, after all, is it?
So never mind me, just write something!
Go Linsul!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:43 pm

I am the awfullest TORC'er in the world. Really. I am. Have I ditched you guys enough? *rolls eyes*

And Yona, just for you I'm squeezing Dunharrow, though I gotta warn you, it will be weird, as this is a mix of both canons. So, convos will be moved around, people will exhchange lines, and more and more oddities and confusions will ensue!

Ah, well. Chapter nine will be up soon enough. I could use some help with the Old English..... Ere?
*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~*
Rider of the Mark

Postby *yona* » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:11 am

Linsul! So glad to see yu will be moving with this tale again!
And that will be absolutely fantabulous about Dunharrow part! And the more mixed up the merrier! :clap: It is going to be lots and lots of fun to see your Super-Duper Ultra-Special Linsul Combined-Canon Story Line!
Oddities and confusions abound!

I will anxiously await!

Yona
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Eredolyn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:15 am

*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* wrote:I am the awfullest TORC'er in the world.

Aw, no you're not. :)

*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* wrote:Really. I am. Have I ditched you guys enough? *rolls eyes*

Yes. Now come back!. :P
(Wait....you did come back.....well come back some more)

*~Linsul~*~Songbreeze~* wrote:Ah, well. Chapter nine will be up soon enough. I could use some help with the Old English..... Ere?

*Pulls on scholar robe* Yes? What would you like to know? :D

-Ere
Eredolyn
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Ooh, Linsul! You're not sneaking off on us again, are you? You can't do that. Come back here!
See, here is Eredolyn's helpful offer and it's been here a while, and no Linsul! Ask her the questionsand get on with it! Or, never mind the language, if that's what's bothering you... just write, will you!
Please don't say you've run away again! :cry2:
Yona
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Thalion_Eledhwen » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Amen to that! Write thou flagrant slowpoke! Err...yeah. Can't wait for the next installment. Do keep it up.
Thalion_Eledhwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Thalion_Eledhwen » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Amen to that! Write thou flagrant slowpoke! Err...yeah. Can't wait for the next installment. Do keep it up.
Thalion_Eledhwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby *yona* » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 am

Hear! Hear!
{Linsul, where are you?}
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby WithyWyrm » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:20 pm

[delurks]

Ai, Linsul! Please post! I've been lurking on this story since it began. I'm waiting with baited breath for the next chapter...and four months of baited breath is enough to drive even me nuts!
~WW

[/relurks]
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris