Writers: Pen, Paper, and a Padded cell?

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Postby Urulooke » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:49 pm

Twilight Zone and Poe...interesting combination.

Yeah :D Although usually my stories will tend to be similar to one or the other, but not necessarily both. At any rate, I like my stories to have a Twilight Zone-like twist at the end :wink:

I just accidentally deleted about thirty files from my portfolio. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Goodbye, Meryu and Co.

That sucks......you'll just have to start all over again :D

-Urulooke-Undefined-
Urulooke
Ranger of the North

Postby Minion1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm

So I don't end up losing sections of a story on scrap paper (I've recently lost a one-page roughdraft), I currently keep a 3-ring binder in my bookbag. I jot stuff down whenever.

I say "currently keep" because... Well, amongst my several short stories, novels, novelettes, screenplays, and the narrative poem, each story tends to be worked on in spurts.

I do have one short published and am seeking a publisher for a few others.

Problem: I tend to write stuff experimentally.

For those of you who don't know, that means "hard to find a seller".

I also write fan fiction.

I. e. "impossible and illegal to sell".

Sketches dot my notes and sometimes quizzes. Comments and questions are more likely to end up on exams and quizzes, though.

:bang:

I have two main writing-based habits that my family uses to call me weird.

1. I act out scenes that I think about, walking around and talking to myself. (Sometimes I'll mock-hit myself, too, but we won't go there.) :)

2. If caught in the middle of writing a heart-wrenching scene, I'll be crying--not because I feel terrible, but because I twist my emotions and thoughts to be the character. It makes characterization a breeze, but it can be take a lot of energy.

So, I don't really interact with my characters personally. It generally becomes something more like I don't exist, but the character does... or something. It's hard to explain.

Note: I've also done some dream-based stories and started writing to begin with because I started an original daydream and thought that I'd better write it down. :)

- Minion1
Minion1
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Urulooke » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:25 pm

I actually wrote a dream-based short story too, sort of. I think it's pretty good, but that's just me :roll:

I currently have 4 stories (though one of them is more like an anthology of short short stories) that I have begun but not yet finished....I'm that kind of guy :wink:

-Urulooke-Undefined-
Urulooke
Ranger of the North

Postby WithyWyrm » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:33 pm

I've taken to carrying around a notebook, but I like the fluidity of computer documents--my writing is terrible, and any draft I constantly write and rewrite. Unfortunately, when a document's gone, that's it.

2. If caught in the middle of writing a heart-wrenching scene, I'll be crying--not because I feel terrible, but because I twist my emotions and thoughts to be the character. It makes characterization a breeze, but it can be take a lot of energy.

:P I wish I could get that into character.

Fanfics are illegal, but did you know parodies are not? So it's legal to mock someone but not to flatter them.

~WW
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 am

Hello, this is my first trip here into this place... I've spent almost all my time in the Pony and Guilds and working in the Lucky Fortune in Welcome...

Everything I've read is so familiar... except I am a gramma and don't leave home often..

Have you ever thought of your dreams as character developements?

When doing a role play I actually had a disagreement with another writer... they had their male character spanking a female character and throwing her in a horse trough to teach her a lesson.... my character pulled her out took her into the building and proceded to tell the male character off... I told them that there was no way my character would sit by and watch a woman be abused like that so if they didn't like it let me know 'cause I wasn't changing and I'd rether leave the role play than put up with it...

My daughter kept telling me to chill .. my character had a fight with a woman .. I had to explain that it was different because the fight my character got into was 'cause the woman was trying to kill him... thats self-defence.. the other is abuse..

sorry for rambling but it's nice to find people who have the same things going on as I do..

Borin
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby K.Evenstar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi Borin! :hug:

Thewhitetree wrote:I have the wierdest dreams at night. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm on drugs because of the wierd things I talk about...

Well, I often evaluate my dreams for their story potential. I've planned out 2 short stories based on very strange dreams.

I believe libraries are magic because, after all, there are so many stories they must escape sometimes. I don't even have to open a library book, just go in and sit there to spark off creativity. (My nearest has old, wooden doors that have been made automatic - they must be magic!)

I have a notebook especially for useless information that may be able to wriggle into a story one day to add a touch of authenticity.

I get very strange looks when I talk about "killing people (ie characters) off" in public. Must learn to stop that.

Keve xx
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby Eriugeaf » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:50 am

Sometimes I have visions. I will be just sitting somewhere and then all of a sudden I see a person and then when I try to look closer they're gone. And the weird thing is that they stick in my mind. I use them for characters. And If I see people that have slight differences from normal, eg: blue and brown eye, a weird visible birthmark, ect . . . I make up stories in my mind about them and give them whole worlds. Later on I take down those thoughts in my ideas book, but never actually get around to making the story.

I have never been in the scriptorium before. It scares me to think that there was this whole part of the site I had no idea about, so here I am.

Eri :D
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:46 pm

Haha. Yeah I love to write and alot of people would consider me wierd.

But hey I take that as a complement!

I like being wierd its very fun, embrace your oddness! Make people think your crazy! its fun!

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Virgils_Grinning_Ghost » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:32 pm

The writing life is insatiable. It is depressing, just like anything else. You think you've finished with your masterpiece and then you want more. Even if you are successful, you feel empty...wanting. It was Papa Hemingway who said an astounding truth...

What difference does it make if you live in a picturesque little outhouse surrounded by 300 feeble minded goats and your faithful dog...? The question is: Can you write?

Borin Silversmith wrote:

Have you ever thought of your dreams as character developements?

Only in dreams, are men truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus shall be - Remark attributed to John Keating of the Dead Poet Society

Wait, am I not too, a DEAD POET??? :shock:

Sorry, I'm not deliberatley trying to be depressing, but writing is living. It is literally turning your insides out with either crayon or pretty colored inks.

Any free padded cells around? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Virgils_Grinning_Ghost
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Thalion_Eledhwen » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:10 pm

The problem with padded cells is that there is no one else around to help inspire your story. I suppose if there were a whole bunch of people in the same cell that might work. Hmmm.

I'm scribbling one story and my problem that I'm finding is that it wants to go off in directions completely of it's own choosing. I know what I want to happen, but as I write it starts to veer off somwhere else. Very difficult to keep it on track. Then there's the times when you can't think of what happens next, but you do know what happens six chapters latter. Also a very annoying thing.

I can't say I have weird dreams but my best ideas usually come at night, after I've gotten in bed of course. The lights are out, everyone is asleep, then the characters come prancing into my head doing exactly what I need them to do and I can't write it down. Ah well. I guess I get to dream about them then.
Thalion_Eledhwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Eicys » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:45 pm

Hmm... if the padded cells were made of rubber, it would present a certain oppourtunity with the use of erasable white board markers... the smell alone could create inspiring dreams for anyone :twisted:
Eicys
Shield Bearer

I'm tired. Can you tell?

Postby WithyWyrm » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:13 pm

[disclaimer: I am half asleep and if the following makes no sense, then I'm just a bit crazier than usual...]

I had a dream full of uprooted houses, friends and enemies. There was something about an inheritance, a dragon, Harry Potter, a mysterious uncle, a quest, and a sapphire ring that fell to pieces. And turtles. Lots and lots of muddy brown turtles. :roll:

I rarely try to drag story lines or any other kind of meaning out of my mind's wanderings...

A story I'm working on has three versions that want to meld into a whole but just won't...the main character keeps shifting...and the sub-characters want to go off on different adventures So now I have a story plot spanning some thirty years and nine main characters...and none of them have more than a slice of actual writing to call their own.

Eicys: :shock: That's not good for you...

~WW

==========

I woke up one morning and saw locks of my hair coiled and strewn across the pillow like dark snakes. So...I got up and wrote it into a story. Except there truly was a snake that slithered amid the character's hair and worked a spell on her.

How strange is that?
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Oh, yes. Dreams make the most amazing plotlines. Most of them are Completely unusable, and others will have a unique twist or character that can be worked into other stories, but then every once in a while one comes along custom wrapped.
I once woke up one morning with an amazingly vivid mental image of a piece of action, complete with characters that were one of a kind and played off each other excellently, and backstory that was sufficient but not ovewhelming. Lucky for me I didn't have to work that day, and although I had been planning on writing on some of my other tales that needed it, I knew I had to write this down! So I did. I sat at the computer and got it down, thirteen hours and 8,000 some words later I had a rough draft. I then crawled off to bed, thinking about how my off day was now over, but had been well used, even though I didn't get a single word in on the ones I had wanted to write on.
The thing as a whole covers, in 'story time', about the space of thirty minutes, but boy did it take longer to write! I have not looked at it for a long while, on purpose to let my mind back off, before i decide what to do with it. I am tempted to make it the first chapter of a novel, (another one,) but it could always just stand as a short story. Anyway

WithyWyrm; Brown turtles must be a bad sign. Uprooted houses and rings that shatter, are one thing... but turtles, that's dangerous. :lol:
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby WithyWyrm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Yona: You wrote 8,000 words in thirteen hours straight? I have to admire that.
I rarely spend more than a few hours writing at a time, and then I flit from project to project, nibbling crackers and tea, staring off into space...I'd like to say a lot of planning goes on in my head and I really am working. But a lot of things go on in my head and then right out the back door without so much as a howd'ye do. Havell. Such is life.

The other night I couldn't sleep so I got up and wrote an entire short story; it was probably 600 words or so and rather...odd. But it has to be one of the first I've actually written from beginning to end in one sitting.

~WW
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Postby TheE.I.Cebu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Can we start a writing college? You know, the kind that's set in the English Cotswolds and all the assignments we have are to write write write! Of course there'd be classes on symbolism, character development, setting etc etc etc. And there would be days where you could sit all day and write whatever came to your head! Sigh...that's what I've been doing for most of the day! Which is a bad thing because I'm supposed to be reading my textbook. Sigh. That's all.
(Someone needs to start that kind of college-anyone want to volunteer?)
Cebu
TheE.I.Cebu
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:25 pm

WithyWyrm: I'd love to see your story! At least give us a hint. What was it about? (I hope not turtles! :P Or, on second thought, they might be a real ringer of a story!)
Yes, I had NEVER done that before. It was an extreme strain, the only thing that kept my glued to my seat was the sure and certain knowledge that if I quit the images would go *poof*! And I'd be left with only a beginning. Still it was a good thing I started the very minute I got out of bed, at eight. I had left my mac on sleep from the previous night's attempt to get a few words somewhere, and so it had it's 'engines running' so to speak.
Mostly I can't do anything near a stretch like that; but that stint did show me that it was possible. I learned something valuable there, and now have the courage to try and push the horizons of what I had thought was my limitations, and I am being more and more amazed at what can be done. So I am braver now!
I have really been learning quite a lot about myself and the lengths to which my mind can be pushed when it has a little spark. It's a fun journey, and I am enjoying the whole thing, though at times I run against the 'I can't's! I'll just have to figure out a way to bypass them. Up, over, or through, I'll make it somehow!

Cebu: That college sounds very interesting. If you start one, I think you'll have plenty of applicants! It looks like it would suit a lot of people to a T! I wonder what your students would end up getting degrees in? Would you be turning out PhW's?
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby WithyWyrm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:10 am

Don't forget Rhyme, Verse and Meter 101!

Yona- it was about a girl...and a forest fire...and a kid with a broadsword.
In retrospect it was pretty shabby: No real plot or character growth, the description of the burning forest was inaccurate, and it didn't quite come across right. I'll go back and rewrite it one of these days...

I love this list, so I'm going to copy onto the second page:

Originally posted by Eicys:
You know you're a writer if...

-What others call 'insomnia', you refer to as 'writer's block'
-You feel superior to those who don't use correct punctuation.
-On a boring day, you read your writings.
-While reading the newspaper you subconciously edit it, and are appalled when you find a mistake.
- Whenever you write something funny, you laugh.
-When the person near you asked why you laughed, you try and explain the humor.
-When they don't understand, you start at the beginning, and try to explain the entire story.
-You have notebooks filled with timelines, sketches of characters, doctors appointments, conversation ideas, and math assignments.
-Your idea of playing on the computer is spending a day with your word processor.
-When asked about your obessive behaviour, your comeback starts with the words, "Well, us authors..."

And Finally, you know you're an author if you laugh at this list becase it is true.
WithyWyrm
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:45 am

Withy; Your story summary reminded my of quite a lot of my dreams, they have a lot of cross-over in them, in fact too much to be useable no matter how intrigueing the base plotline is.
But a girl-forest fire... forest fires can occur any where, history, fantasy, and nothing could be more logical then a woods caught fire in the vicinity of a broadsword, after all!
Was it a wettish sort of forest? Or a tall tinder-box-dry sort, that stood on a harsh, wind blown mountain!
Ah, I like the world of imaginings, it's so full of possiblities!
I would love a few more details... if you're waiting for a hint.
So Long!
Yona
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris