Announcing the Writer's Challenge! SPRING.

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Announcing the Writer's Challenge! SPRING.

Postby LadyCoralie » Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm

I posted this on the front page of TORC and thought I would repost here in the Scriptorium as well. Makes perfect sense doesn't it? I would like to announce the Writer's Challenge series that will begin in the Reading Room. We have some wonderful writers that contribute to our site. There are many and varied tales of Middle Earth spread all over our pages here. In fact, I am constantly amazed and thrilled to read all of the different interpretations and tales that our writers come up with. Indeed, the fabric of our Middle Earth is rich with artistic licence.

As a result, I thought it might be a nice idea to create a Challenge Series here. I must admit that this idea was first presented to me via a writer's group that I belong to. So I can't claim it as a completely original idea of my own. ;) Anyway, the idea is to set a different challenge for writers here every few months (or even shorter) whereby contributions are made about a particular subject.

There are many different subject areas that people could write about regarding Middle Earth and all suggestions are welcome. Regarding the first challenge I will set; the subject shall be SPRING. That is a very easy concept for people to grasp and also a lovely one. It would be wonderful if our writers could write a short story (no longer than 500 words) in keeping with the Writing Challenge theme. In this case it is Spring.

Your story could be about anything, and I repeat anything in Middle Earth. There is a veritable wealth of ideas for you to explore regarding Spring, from Hobbits, to Elves, to Man, Dwarves or even plants of Middle Earth! I'm sure you can think of something I haven't even mentioned.

So how about it folks? I'd love to have some entries for this challenge. 500 words is not overly long and it will help to keep the focus of your contribution strong and rich. Just submit them to the Reading Room when they are finished and I will see what I can do about having them published together.

Let the Challenge begin!
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Dubatuluk » Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Is there a time limit on this? (Such as summer? ;) *ducks ufos* ) no seriously. Is there a specific date you wish to have them in by?

~dubs~ (the ever thinking too much about trivial things) :roll:
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu May 11, 2006 10:18 pm

I think by the first of June should be okay. Remember it is only 500 words so it isn't too long. If you think the first is too soon let me know.

Cheers :lol: LadyC
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Fri May 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Do you want us to title them Spring or Writing Workshop? :? Let me know. :D Thanks. :D
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Sat May 13, 2006 9:42 pm

I think they should be titled 'Writing Challenge - Spring' That way as we have our various challenges they can be grouped together. :)
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Sun May 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Okey Dokey! If time can be found I too shall submit. :D

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 am

Oooh. Mine might be longer than 500 words. I'll go look at it. Edit: Yay! Got it fixed.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm

oops...hehe..well, I didn't title it as such, but I did put in a note to the mods that it was for the challenge, so I hope... And it's about 34 words over the max, but that isn't very much. Just a paragraph I think. It still fits on a single page. :P :D
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby *yona* » Thu May 25, 2006 8:14 pm

I can put one in, too, right? I have never sent anything to the Reading Room, and so this would be a first time.
I had to really work at it to trim it to five hundred. But I got it done!
*Am pleased with myself*
500 on the dot. Pretty slick, really. (For me! I write huge rambling stories full of hardships and emotional turmoil. It was tough taking out all those words, and still having the idea. But I limited myself to only one 'scene' and one 'thought', and I hope it came out all right. :| )
Added: I just tried to go and submit the story, and it says I can't. I have to wait until May 31st. Yikes! That is only 24 hours from the deadline, and a week away. And a promising-to-be-hither-dither week to boot. What if I miss it?
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Sun May 28, 2006 11:47 am

I got the same message as Yona...Hopefully I remember to submit it that day. It's my first successful (maybe) short story, and it took me several starts to get it going the right way. It's rather short, 300-odd words, and is about spring but not with a very 'spring'-ish feel to it. Does that make sense? Does it matter?

I really hope I remember to turn this in...:shock:
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Tue May 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been snowed under with assignments at University at the moment. Looks like there is an update process going on with submissions. If you can remember to submit on the 31st of May, cool. If you think you need more time for Spring entries...don't stress too much. I put a deadline for June 1st so people could have a goal to work towards. But if you are struggling, do not fear. I shall probably put up a part two if necessary in Coralie's Corner as well.

Cheers and Happy Writing!
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby *yona* » Wed May 31, 2006 11:38 am

Well, here it is, the 31st, and I still get that 'can't post' message. I am not sure what to do.
How about if I send it in an email to Lady Coralie? Will that work?
I might just do that. Seeing as this is the very last day, and all.
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Yona my Dear, I received your email. I've put it in with the rest that I'm going to publish in Coralie's Corner in the next few days if the RR doesn't come back online soon. I can only think that Jonathan must be as snowed under as I am. I know that he has been working very hard of late. So if it's alright with folks here, I'll put them in my Coralie's Corner spot. So email me any that you can't submit. In the meantime, I published some that were already waiting for approval. I had been holding them back to publish them altogether as part of the writing challenge, but seeing that the RR is still offline, I thought I would go ahead with those as I know some are anxious to read them. They are very good and definitely worth a read. Going to make a cuppa now.

Cheers! :D
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:19 pm

I don't have your email, LadyCoralie! :shock: And I'm won't be around this weekend. If it isn't figured out tonight, can I turn it in next week? Or if anybody can help me, could you please email me at ElanorTheHobbit at gmail dot com? Please? :)

Edit: It'll have to be next week. Sorry. :)
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby *yona* » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:07 am

Thanks Lady Coralie! I'm going to have a look at those aready up!

Elanor, if you go to Coralie's Corner I think you will find the Email Coralie option there. Hope it helps!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:13 pm

I looked in Coralie's Corner and couldn't find that, Yona, but happily the submission was back up so I just turned it in the "normal" way. :) So...it's late, but it's in now.
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:04 pm

Dear All.

I'm sorry your submissions haven't been published yet, but Jonathan is rather busy with things and I'm on the other side of the world...the upside down part that is. :P Anyway, we hope to be talking next week so he can show me the new administration procedures. Then everything will be published asap. Sorry for the delays everyone.

LadyC
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby *yona* » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks for the update, LC! Sounds fine with me, I can certainly appreciate the quirks and hassle a website re-doing must cause. Hopefully things will be straightened out soon.
Have a great time up side down! :horse:
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyCoralie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:54 am

Here's the latest update. The good news is that I can now get into admin and upload stories etc. WHOOPEE! :lol: The bad news is that Coralie's Corner isn't up and running yet and I can't publish the Spring Stories until that's a goer. :cry2: Hopefully Jonathan will be able to iron out bugs and such and get it going soon. Then Spring shall be Sprung! Thanks for your patience all!
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 am

Okay. Spring has finally Sprung folks. Check into Coralie's Corner in about 2 hours from this post and your Spring Writer's challenge entries will be there!

Thanks all for your patience. Enjoy the Read! :lol:
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyCoralie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:19 am

Actually it is up and live now. Came up faster than I thought it would. Problem is that there are strange characters in the text. Can't seem to sort it out so I've written to Jonathan about it. We''l just have to wait for him to clean it up folks.
LadyCoralie
Ranger of the North

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris