Arvariane Estel - i'm making an ending & need some feedback

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Arvariane Estel - i'm making an ending & need some feedb

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 am

hey. so i'm a new member to this community, but recently i read a story called Arvariane Estel: Royal Protector of Hope and it was written about 3 years ago and didnt have an ending.
:idea: so i've decided to make my own ending to this story.

i need some ideas about what to add, what not to add...those sort of things, since this will be my first fanfic. i would especially like some feedback from people who actually read the story so they are on the same page as i am on.

note: if the author of this series, eve_naeband, ever reads this....sorry, i cannot wait any longer for an ending. if you ever decide to make an ending, my own can be an alternate ending.
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Location: Across the meadow, over the river, and through the woods

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi Enaira. Wow! What an interesting concept. Finishing a story that was not yours originally. There are some stories I'd like to do that to, one in particular that was finished, though the ending was unrealistically forced, but I won't go there, and don't have the time or inclination anyway. However, if you do have the time and the inclination to finish an unfinished story, You go girl! Now, I don't have any specific suggestions right now, since I don't remember reading the story. I'll see if I can do that, and then get back here. However, some general suggestions:

Please don't ever try to force situations as the author. Let them happen naturally as they would, were the story to be happening on its own in a real world. Don't make the characters do anything. Let them do it on their own. Your job as the author is to sit back and describe things as they happen. Not to make them happen. Your characters need to be allowed to be real people. They're not the author's puppets. The minute an author starts to manipulate things in a story, begins to force characters to act certain ways that go against their own personalities to force the author's own agenda, that's the minute the reality begins to break for their readers.
Never never break your own rules. If you have a specific rule estabished for your world, great. But you have created a context in which you must now stay. You can't say Elves live forever as long as they don't die in battle, or of grief in chapter one, and then in chapter two, suddenly having an Elf die of old age. That doesn't work.
Do not try to break certain universal laws that don't change. For example, while in your world you can have flying cars or talking animals, or inanimate objects that have souls and a consiousness (like The One Ring) or continents that float in the air, you can't have the "good guy" beating harmless old ladies and small children and puppies, and then go and try to convince your audience that such a thing is okay. It won't work. No matter how fluffy the language you use trying to say such behavior is alright because you're the author and you're saying it is, very very few readers will actually buy that. Because most people have the inherent understanding that beating harmless old ladies, children and puppies is fundamentally, unchangably wrong. And something a truly "good guy" would never do. If that makes sense.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Hey Lalaith-Elerrina! I love your username by the way. :)
Anyways, thanks for all the useful info you have given me about writing the end to someone's fanfic. maybe, when i write it and it is published on the site, you can read it and tell me what you think.
thanks again for your help! wish me luck! :thumbsup:
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 pm

Enaira, I went and looked up the story you mentioned. It was very difficult to find, with the changes to the RR that happened back in June and I'm impressed that you found it. I was able to find only one chapter of that story, and I don't know if she wrote more, but from what it looks like, you could go basically anywhere with it. This Arvariane person is obviously special and destined, and you could do anything you want with that. Just remember to keep it believable and realistic, and I'm sure you'll do great! I look forward to reading it.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey Lalaith-Elerrina, thanks so much for taking the time to look up the story. I know you only found one chapter, so if you have the time and want to read more of it, go to the RR, then under search type in 'arvariane'. that should find you the rest of the story.
guess what? i wrote a chapter! now i'm waiting to get it published. do you know how long that takes?
anyways, i have you to thank for all the tips you gave me. ttyl! :)
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:35 pm

I haven't posted in the RR for nearly a year, but I imagine it takes about two weeks, same as before. Good luck! :hug: If you'd like, email me when it comes up, and let me know. loralee_evans@yahoo.com.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:25 pm

hey! thanks for telling me when it will be published. i can't wait to know what people will think of it. and i'd love to hear what you have to say. i'll email you when its on :)
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:38 pm

Oh goodie! I look forward to it.

Oh, and by the way, if you would like, would you like to consider entering a story in the contest I'm giving on my website? I've extended the deadline to the 1st of November. Click Right Here for info on the contest, to see if it's something you're interested in.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:29 pm

:shock: WOW. i had no idea that you were such a seasoned writer. wow. (i visited your website :) )

so, a contest, eh? well, i've never actually written anything before. this would be my first fanfic (well, ending to a fanfic :) ) are you sure it would be good enough?
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am

oooh, i have another thing to say. today i realized that my fanfic that i wrote got published, but all the italics are missing. the top of the pg. when i was writing said that i should put what i want in italics in these < >
however, it does not seem to work. could you help me out on this one?
thanks lalaith-elerrina! :)
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:38 pm

I think what you need to do is to put an i between these: <> and then this: < / i > (just without the spaces) I'm not sure since I haven't posted in the reading room since the changes were made, but I think that's how it works.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:21 pm

So thats how you make italics....I suppose I'll have to edit it again. It will make a lot more sense once I do. And thanks for the tip! :)
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:48 am

Yep, that's how you make italics. ;) And I think anything you write is good enough for a contest. Even if you don't win, it's good practice for the future, right? :D
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:40 pm

Hey, thanks for believing in my writing abilities. :hug: If I submit something into the contest, does it have to be a whole story or just a chapter? Because I doubt I can finish a whole story before the deadline. :|
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 pm

It can be a chapter of a larger story, just as long as it's fairly able to stand on its own, and is between 1500-3000 words. :D
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Ok. Well, hopefully I will be able to think of something absolutely brilliant. I have to write a couple of stories for school anyway, so perhaps I can twist one into a fantasy version. I hope I can make the deadline! :thumbsup:
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:02 pm

That would be great! And if not, I'll always have more contests in the future. :D
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris