Haradrim?

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Haradrim?

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:37 am

Is Southern Gondor / Near Harad a desert?
And are Haradrim like bedouins? :?
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Location: Across the meadow, over the river, and through the woods

Postby *yona* » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't know. It's a good question! I'm not certain Tolkien specified, but he could have, he wrote a lot of papers and notes and such. I've just not ever heard it mentioned.
Anyway, I'm no help. :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Erumahtar » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:17 am

Hello again, Enaira.

I don't know either. But you can take a look at this
http://www.tuckborough.net/harad.html#Names.

Hope this be helpful.

Till we meet again.

P.S.
I always had the feeling that Rhun was a desert and not Harad, but it's just a feeling. :angeldevil:
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:37 pm

*yona*: It was helpful!!! At least now I know that I can have some fun with them when I write my story. I can let my imagination make up what I don't know, becuase it isnt specified anywhere else. Thanks :)

Erumahtar: Why, hello again :) The website was actually REALLY helpful. In fact, it was so helpful I bookmarked it. :thumbsup: Thank you!
Talk to you later

P.S. I thought that all those southern lands were part of a big desert, starting in Rhun and going all the way to Near & Far Harad. But I guess we'll never know, right?
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Erumahtar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 am

Hello again because we have met before in your thread in the Welcome forum.

I think we can use many names and places about which we know little or nothing in our works. And it doesn't mean we are violating Tolkien's work.
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby ~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 pm

Yes I remember meeting you there.

That's good to know. Because I plan to use people of Middle-Earth that nobody knows much about (i.e. background, history) in my story. :)
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Edmund the Scholar » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:02 am

~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ wrote:
P.S. I thought that all those southern lands were part of a big desert, starting in Rhun and going all the way to Near & Far Harad. But I guess we'll never know, right?

Rhun was a dessert? I thought that is where all the good wine came from. Didn't Thranduil's people trade with the people from Rhun?? Or am I confused?
Edmund the Scholar
Ranger of the North

Postby Erumahtar » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 pm

Edmund the Scholar wrote:
~*Enaira_of_Imladris*~ wrote:

Rhun was a dessert? I thought that is where all the good wine came from. Didn't Thranduil's people trade with the people from Rhun?? Or am I confused?

I don't really know that, but I will check it out and let you know. Or if you find anything, pls write it in here. :)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby sevilodorf » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:35 pm

Since the Haradrim raise/use mumaks I have considered that the land must be capable of supporting huge elephant like creatures. So more African savannah than Sahara desert was my vision.

Or even perhaps closer to the mountains might be Indian junglelike .. perhaps the females of the species are smaller or only the war oliphaunts are large enough to carry war towers.

(I used my own interpretation of Harondor in a fanfic Southern Exposure at burpingtroll.com under adventures)
sevilodorf
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris