A question for Scriptorium regulars

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

A question for Scriptorium regulars

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Hello writers. I would like some feedback, if you please.

I intend to write a serial-based story based around a character and his development. My question is: Is this the appropriate place for such a story? I will be writing his story solo, but may at some time in the future use him for RP over in the Pony. I don't think it belongs in Pony necessarily because I'm not planning on making it a multi-writer cooperative thing. But I'm not sure it belongs here, either. As I understand it, this is mostly for completed works, and not works in progress. Or am I incorrect about that?

Someone please let me know, 'cause I'm itchin' to get this story outta my head.
Rest In Peace, Dirk. 2002-2013
Sig Pic by Lynx

Guild Steward of the Mithril Knights
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 pm

This place doesn't necessarily have to be for completed works. Many a fine hour I've spent in here discussing the finer points of writing, critiquing other people's drafts, having my own stuff critiqued, things of that nature.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby SmaugsBane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 pm

Actually, I've been meaning to bring that up with you. After reading some of your comments, it seems that you are forthcoming and honest in your critiques, as well as knowledgable. That said, anytime you wish offer comments on anything you find of mine, please feel free to pass them along.

That goes for anyone who wishes to give such help.

I ask only one favor, please post only "general" pointers given in the forums and send detailed analyses for specific passages to my email (or FaceBook, or any other of the several inboxes of which you are aware). I ask this in order to prevent band-wagon reviews here. It would be more valuable to me for you to find a flaw and inform me privately, and then another points out the same flaw indepentently, than if it was pointed out publically, and than others' attention was drawn to it.

Also, I am only looking for critiques of style, etc. Grammatical and spelling errors that are obviously typos need not be pointed out. Carelessness I can find for myself upon revision. It's errors in tone, metaphor, pacing, agreement (i.e. with earlier "chapters"), etc. that I need to hear.

Lastly, while praise is very nice to hear, it's much more beneficial to hear honestly given constructive criticism. I won't necessarily agree with all that I am given, nor will I rush to revise upon every negative comment. But all will be taken gratefully into consideration.

Thanks in advance to anyone who utilizes their precious time to read and/or critique my babblings.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 pm

After some discussion and reading, I think I'm okay to write my story here in the Scriptorium.

Please leave any further comments in my story thread (when it show up.)

Thanks.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:12 am

SB, I'm really looking forward to your story. I hope posting it will help you. Me, I only finished one story to date, and the only reason I did finish it was because I posted every bit as it was finished. But you seem to be more determined than I was.

Where's the cheerleader section? ;)

BTW, much as I want to read what you wrote, I feel compelled to ask whether you considered the effect of posting your writing on a public web site on a possible publication.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby SmaugsBane » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Frelga wrote:Where's the cheerleader section? ;)

Whereever you want it to be. I'm not worried about the flow of the story as each post should comprise an entire episode.

Frelga wrote:BTW, much as I want to read what you wrote, I feel compelled to ask whether you considered the effect of posting your writing on a public web site on a possible publication.

This won't be related to the novel I'm working on at all. In fact it doesn't exist yet except in the recesses of my brain. What's going here is just a bit of fan fiction that I have no intention publishing elsewhere, except that the main character may end up in the Pony at some point.

On that subject, however, I am always very cautious with my original stuff. I sometimes feel a little arrogant telling people I'd rather not email them pages. Like it's really valuable property or something. But I would be really angry if my story ended up written by someone who stumbled across the idea while phishing emails.

Only people I truly trust get my manuscripts, and usually via snailmail CD-ROMS.
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am

How I wish I could help you SB, but my duties here are, to be honest,
getting rather, to put it nicely, stretching.

Even so, you have my many cheers, my unfailing belief in your
imaginative powers, and I shall be ever near for an arm around
your shoulder when pages seem to pile, but the plot doesn't seem
to be going anywhere.

It is a lonely road to walk, that of an author, for you must do
the actual writing. However, knowing that there are those
cheering you on along the way, makes the journey less wearisome,
and perhaps, even pleasant.

Be of good cheer!

Your ever-servant,
Parm :)

...you know where to find me :)
I love the worldI am in...
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Sweet brother of the boards, I am so anxious to read what you will write! I know you can do it and it will turn out great!!

So lets get crackin and get the party started!!! :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmaugsBane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 am

Sadly, sagely Parm and sweet sister, time, or more accurately the lack thereof, has prevented me from posting the first installment of my little serial. It is primarily complete, as are all of my projects. However, it is locked away in the safety deposit box that is my brain, as are all my projects. I will commit it to typed words as soon as I can spare the hours. Thanks for your patience!
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Then let, me friend, advise you this,
to jot, to note, to scribble thought,
for what you hoped to search within
may suddenly become as naught.
For even in my treasure house,
all barred and locked with guarded key,
upon returning, stand agog
that all has gone, and thanks to me,
for in my deep and dungeoned mind
I fear I left my key behind.

...and with that I bow, and leave.

Your ever-servant,
Parm :)
I love the worldI am in...
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Well I will await anxiously your first installment then when time affords you the needed opportunity to do so. :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SmaugsBane » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks, Vana.

If you'll have a little patience, I promise this thing'll get off the ground.

Parm, that post was awesome. You made me smile for that is exactly how I am. If I don't get it down in some way, it'll likely be gone forever.

On that note, for any who care, I've purchased a new notebook and have begun to consolidate and re-work my novel's plot and characters as well as the beginnings of the detailed outline that I plan to write from. New plan, new tactics, new notebook. Maybe this'll be the time I actually write the stupid thing. On the flipside, it may take some time away from TORC writings. I hope note, as I plan to use other time during my days that I have been wasting to set up the book. But we'll see.

Thanks for following along and encouraging me, all of you!
Sig Pic by Lynx

SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby SmaugsBane » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 am

Dang! I was really hoping I'd actually posted some of what I was planning here. I guess I need to check the files on the old PC to see if I actually committed any of it to written word. If not, I suppose I can start from scratch. But gee, I really don't want to. (yeah, I said "gee" make something of it!)

Alright. I'm getting excited about this TORC thing again. I think I need to pace myself before I sprain something.
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris