Really horrible fanfiction

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Re:

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Frelga wrote:
Ayslhyn wrote:What is fanfiction unless drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa? It comes to the same.

Using already-written characters and locations is NOT creative writing. It is just using someone else's ideas because you cannot think of your own.

I don't write fanfic, unless RP in the Pony counts. :D

However. The history of world literature is built on fanfiction. :P Shakespeare wrote Homer and Chaucer fanfiction among others.

And if using someone else's locations is NOT creative writing, what then do we say of stories set in the real world?

Just meandering through the forums and I saw this post from the Most Awesome Freglish.

And I'm picking up butt-ends here, but SHEESH... that's a bit harsh - fanfiction isn't creative writing? To be honest I've read some printed-glued-binded books that weren't 'creative-writing' but pieces of total utter trashola. Conversely, I've read some pieces right here in the Pony that have moved me to tears and were beautifully written.

And yes, Frelga's right - Shakespeare must have been a total UTTER HACK. Why, come to think of it, anyone who has written historical biography - PAH! :) I'm getting a bit enthusiastic here.

I'm a writer. I use other people's fictional constructs. I use historical constructs. I use my own constructs, plucked from the vibrant heights and slimy depths of my imagination.

I draw a mustache on reality - everyday. :)

Because it's my reality and no one else's. Not even yours. :D

:horse:
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Re:

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

rwhen wrote:I am always up for a challenge. :D Erm...let me see.

How Rosie Cotton Got her Groove Back?

The Excellent Adventures of Bill the Pony and Ted Sandiman?

One Eagle Flew Over The Coo-Coo's Nest?

My Friend Shadowfax?

Gandalf: The Early Years

Have Deadly Ring, Will Travel?

Sisterhood of the Traveling Elf Pants?

Bridge Over The River Brandywyne?

Pippin: The Musical

Button Up Your Mithril Overcoat?

:lol:

A Farewell to Frodo

The Grapes of Dorwinion.

The Hunt for Red Baron Pizza.

:wink:

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Re: Really horrible fanfiction

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm

The quality of the fan fiction in any given fandom is equal to the negative of the square of the absolute value of the quality of the fandom's canon, or, in mathematical terms, X = -(|Y|)². Therefore, both good and bad canons will have far worse fanfictions. Thusly, from this, we can conclude that all fanfiction is bad.

Enemies of ART!!!11 :):):)

But seriously..using a legitimate historical source is not the same as copying an original. Researching legitimate historical source material and using it in fictive writing is one thing. Copying an entirely imagined source is another.

Chaucer and Shakespeare were using written historical sources NOT imagined worlds. Both may have written about similar material but neither was using a fictive source as such. It was all the knowledge there was available.

Most fanfiction is either tedious wish fullfullment or alarming sexual fantasising. Deeply unattractive.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Denethor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:30 am

Ayslhyn wrote:The quality of the fan fiction in any given fandom is equal to the negative of the square of the absolute value of the quality of the fandom's canon, or, in mathematical terms, X = -(|Y|)². Therefore, both good and bad canons will have far worse fanfictions. Thusly, from this, we can conclude that all fanfiction is bad.

Enemies of ART!!!11 :):):)

But seriously..using a legitimate historical source is not the same as copying an original. Researching legitimate historical source material and using it in fictive writing is one thing. Copying an entirely imagined source is another.

Chaucer and Shakespeare were using written historical sources NOT imagined worlds. Both may have written about similar material but neither was using a fictive source as such. It was all the knowledge there was available.

Most fanfiction is either tedious wish fullfullment or alarming sexual fantasising. Deeply unattractive.

Romeo and Juliet (which Shakespeare borrowed) is fiction in origin.

Do you consider Dante's Divine Comedy bad, given that it is essentially Bible fanfic?
Denethor
Ranger of the North

Postby Luthriel_Greenleaf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Already mentioned, but Legolas by Laura is the best. The dramatic readings had me on the floor.
Luthriel_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Arwenslove » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 am

I love Legolas by laura the dramatic reading. Best line: and then the dark Lord said, "Welcome, Laura!"
Arwenslove
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

Just a little off-topic observation. I'm always amazed at just how different the concept of 'fanfiction'/'deritative works' are here in Japan and over there in the West. Over there, it seems to me that fan creations usually take the form of written text/novels or videos (cf. Anime music videos); here - this being the culture where comics aren't just 'kids' stuff' but is well, almost part and parcel of many people's daily lives - we have dojinshi (Fan videos using pre-existing footage, be it movies or anime or whatever, aren't as much common compared to 'original' ones actually made/drawn by their creators because of copyright - yes, for some reason they're stricter when it comes to that - and everything.)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris