Time Out Of Mind

Writing is a passion many people experience after reading Tolkien's works. Come here to discuss and share your experiences with writing.

Time Out Of Mind

Postby rwhen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 pm

OOC.....this is a story that will unfold by Ayslhyn and myself both in this time and another. Comments are welcome, however...the story has just begun and there is much yet to be told and to read. Thank you and we hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been quite the long time since I chose to try and use the internet. The first experience was horrifying, I typed in "Grand Canyon" and went directly to a woman who offered to do interesting things to me for a specified amount of money. That turned me right off the internet for years. It wasn't until four full years later, after I had made a move to a new city and was awaiting work, that I dared to brave the sinful virtual pathways of the internet again.

It was suggested to me that I try to search for a favorite author, that might yield something interesting and be time consuming. I carefully entered J. R. R. Tolkien and held my breath, wondering what sort of foul den I would be led to this time. To my surprise, the first choice was a website called The One Ring. Sounded good to me. When I opened the page, there was all sorts of goodies to research...papers, movie information, illustrations and would you believe it? Not one foul word or advertisement on how to make my chest suddenly sprout three times its size.

Soon enough I noticed the word that has captured my imagination for eight years now.....messageboard. I rolled the word around and around my brain, straining to fit into the synapse how this would or could be fun or of benefit to me. I threw caution to the wind and entered. It only took about an hour before I was brave enough to start my own thread in a place called invitingly enough, "Welcome".

To my utter and complete delight (I had selected to be notified when my thread had been posted to) I had twenty plus notifications in my email. Everyone was so polite and genuinely warm in their efforts to make me feel comfortable at this strange place, but one post in particular caught my eye. I peered at his name and for the life of me could NOT figure out how to pronounce it, so at that time, I forever embedded the way "I" would always hear his name in my head.

It was a simple enough request. "If you are a Lady interested in meeting a Knight, come to the Knightless Ladies/Ladiless Knights guild." When I read the words, something inside of me lurched. Like an odd but old feeling of a time gone by, I mean really....Ladies? Knights? How fun could this be? I suppose it took me all of ten seconds to make up my mind to go in search of this odd named person. Took an hour to find the thread.

And I made my second post to TORC. "Someone told me to come to this thread if I was interested in meeting a Knight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by rwhen on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:52 pm

My breath caught as my squire passed the message to me.

We were encamped close to Avebury, late autumn, the leaves fell all around us. The year was dying slow but sure, the cycle of the seasons turning towards the dark days of the winter to come.

My squire repeated his message. A woman's name.

Vivien
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Ponyboy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Erm. Sure!

I thought this thread was about Bob Dylan..? :wink:
Ponyboy
Shield Bearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Her pale face reddened as a chill wind blew through the window of her room in the womans sanctuary. The cold stones under her fingertips foretold of a winter to come, a long and deep winter. She pulled the woolen white robe closer to her breast, the long blonde hair cascading gracefully over one shoulder as she rose to move.

The bells for mourning will ring soon,Vivien instinctively felt the vibrations before they were audible. Taking one last long look out at the barren hillocks that surrounded her particular place in the world, she made her way down the long corridor and into position with others of her rank. Priestess. Yes, she would be tested, sooner than later.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 am

The computer was new, a spiffy toy with the disconcerting habit of biting me on the bum when, as I frequently did, I got something wrong.

I'd finally won out over my wife's argument of "What do you need a computer for?" with my earnest pleas that it would be useful for work, we could write letters and do accounts on it and look! it can play music too.

Like hell, what I wanted so badly was really the Internet. I'd used the net at friends houses and I wanted to play in the virtual toystore with a computer of my own.

I already knew about The One Ring, had browsed the site from other computers and joined up quickly. In those pre-movie days the site was hugely busy, lots of threads moving very fast. I quickly got to recognise some of the usernames and began to make acquaintances.

Rwhen and I soon found each other. Despite being a small matter of the Atlantic Ocean's distance apart we had lots in common.

So far we had only chatted on the board but her email was there in her profile. I typed a message and hesitantly hit "send".....
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:35 am

From the time we decided to become Lady and Knight to each other Ayslhyn and I started rhyming all over the boards. One day I got an email from him and that opened a new level of communication for me. It was this magical window called MSN Instant Messaging.

I had never used this sort of new fangled contraption and it was something out of H. G. Wells...talking live to someone in another country? What would they think of next. And...hey, bonus!! It was FREE except for the cost of the internet. How good is that?

I had a job at the time that allowed me some excess time in the day between tasks to be on MSN from work and through many weeks, we slowly got to know each other away from TORC and found that for a Brit and a Yank, we actually shared many loves. One was food. We both are rabid home chefs who love to experiment and we began sharing recipes from our parts of the world.

We also found that we share some ancestry. We are both of Irish descent. This has been the cause of much merry making and talking like an Irish person for a bit. Also Ayslhyn found out of my Southern heritage and he does a mean Southern accent.

To be continued....

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am

Cloak wrapped tightly against the chill wind Sharn made for Kerdan's tent.

The old druid was sitting by the brazier fondling the tabby cat on his lap, murmuring endearments to the flea-ridden creature. He studiedly ignored the young man.

"Well?" Sharn said, impatient with Kerdan's play-acting.
*A deep subject" Kerdan cackled, "for so shallow a mind"
Helping himself to wine Sharn sat on the straw
"What does that old witch want with me?"

"She's dying" Kerdan said "Soon she must name her sucessor. The High Priestess" he eyed Sharn with a glint of malice

"Why should I care ?" Sharn shrugged
Kerdan laughed, showing his rotten teeth
"You know well enough boy"
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 pm

The old crone that looked out at Vivien under hooded rhummy green eyes cackled, "you will never aspire to the red girdle. Green you are and green you will always be." Her boney finger pointed to the girdle that all priestesses wore, indicating their rank. Vivien had rose quickly through the lower ranks in the past five years. White, yellow, blue, brown, black and now the green.

"Your pardon, mother," Vivien lowered her head in a reverence that she did not feel inside, "I did not mean to challenge you but thought to question when I could be put to the required testing. I have fulfilled the requisite years and rituals, yes?" The younger woman did not meet the eyes of the High Priestess, that would be considered insolent.

Before replying, Vivien had to endure the minutes of listening to the wet cough of the current High Priestess, she could almost feel the tearing in her own chest and for a slight moment felt compassion, then she bottled that feeling and remembered the cruel years under the womans iron rule. "You will not have my permission, not ever. I know where you came from and no amount of YOUR twisting of our rituals will ever make you wear red. Get out of my sight." Another coughing spasm was enough to have Vivien quickly leave the room and head back to her small but private quarters.

At least wearing the green affords me a small measure of privacy, Vivien contemplated while chewing on an old wrinkled apple. She picked up the book she had been studying, the one that had brought her to the green girdle. She would need the Red Book if she intended to go to red and Mistress Hanlon would try to see to it that she never got her hands on the book.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Mistress Hanlon smiled mirthlessly as Kerdan entered her chamber
"Blessed be" he said shortly and without warmth.
"Blessed be" she returned equally curt.
"You are going to the Gods" Kerdan sat on the only chair, picked his teeth. "Be sure you do not displease them"
She sat up in her bed
"What do you mean by that?"
He smirked, stroking his beard. He drew a handful of small pebbles from the pouch at his belt. Shaking them over the candle's flame he cast the runes.

Their eyes met.
"The omen is clear" he spat into the fire to avert the evil.
Her old eyes met his "That girl is not to be High Priestess":

"It is written" he said "Her destiny is clear. Deny it and disaster will follow. No blood-kin of yours can lawfully usurp her. This you know"

"Get out" she raged at him "Have you no pity?"
He rose "Only for those deprived of their right. Vivien is the one. This you know"
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:58 am

Hi :hihi: Rwhennie dear! Hail & well met Ayslhyn!

OCC (Although I really don't know what OCC stands for :P ) This story is quite intriguing! Both the 'now' and the story story. I'm no good at RPing.. but I'll enjoy stopping in & reading! Continue m'Lord & m'Lady!

(I don't even remember my first post on here) I know that there was a live Lord of the Rings chat on AOL and when that ended I went looking around for another LoTR group to join. And so it goes... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Ayslhyn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:19 am

:) Hi there Rose. Thank you for your kind comments, you are more than welcome to join in if the fancy takes you, the more the merrier!

OOC means Out Of Character, usually a note or comment in a story made by the writer rather than the character he or she is portraying.

Nice to meet you!
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 pm

*Rosie curtsied to the noble Lord & Lady and climbed onto a stool to have a vineyard and watch the drama unfold*
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 am

Thank you kindly friend Rose!! You are twice times welcome on thread. This story is going to last quite the long time I do believe. We have some backfill to do before the main part really gets going, but I think both my Knight and I shall really enjoy writing and hope you do enjoy the reading of it all. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:59 pm

"Samhain approaches" Kedren said "the feast of the living and the dead"
His eye caught by a young Priestess, her sheaf of golden hair caught by the autumn sunlight Sharn did not reply. He was captivated. She did not look at him.
He noted her green girdle. She was young to wear that. Many priestesses reached middle-age before being awarded green.
Noting his interest the old Driud cackled.
"The Lady Vivien" he said "She I told you of"

"You told me nothing" Sharn countered
"I told you her name" he sniggered
"A name only" Sharn said, his eyes following the graceful figure of the young woman
"That is the daughter of the King" Kedren grinned "illegitimate of course. But no less his daughter"

Kedren paused, Sharn's lineage was known to him
"Shall you light the banfire?"
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

The problem of gaining the Red Book would have to wait for another day. There was the Feast of the Living and the Dead, Samhain to attend. All priestesses were required to perform some sort of services. Many of the lower colors were no more than drudges, others actually cooked, but Vivien, she liked to perform the Cailin Deas, which is a song with dance for the feast.

She did not wear the traditional garment, but the meaning came through either way. As she made her way to the banfire, she noted a man looking her direction. This in of itself was unusual, the priestesses were celebate by very nature of the order, usually she saw people as asexual or no gender at all. His flashing eyes caught her breath and something inside stirred nervously.

Do not look you silly fool, what will the others think. Just get through your song and back to your room, that is all that is required, Vivien ran the thoughts so quickly she stumbled. And there he was, at her elbow assisting her to her feet. She jerked her arm out of his strong clasp, "Do you not know the price for laying a hand on one of the Order?" the words were hissed as she checked for other observers.

"I was merely offering assistance, My Lady," the man smiled genuinely, he knew, of course he knew. "I am called Sharn and you are?"

"Late for the Cailin Deas," the girl turned on her heel and walked with head high in front of those gathered. As she cited the well known rite, her movements were followed by all eyes. No one would eat until the ritual was complete. The dance and chanting went through all seven variations for the seven Kings dead and seven yet to come. As she finished the chant, the dance continued and others of her Order joined in.

"Perfect," she muttered, "time to slip away unseen." But that was not to be. One of the white slipped her a note from the High Priestess. As she read, she caught her lip in her teeth and looked up sharply. There he was, looking at her again. Tossing the note on the fire, she found a place to sit with the other three greens, as would be proper and waited for the feast to begin.

That old crone, wanting me to stay until the Feast was completed. What could she have on her mind? Maybe she is only stalling me from taking the testing or maybe she does not want me to find the Red Book. These thoughts and others carried her through the Feast.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 am

Kedren held his staff aloft signalling silence. The wood was heaped high upon the hill but the banfire was not yet lit. He turned to face the sacred stones.

All watched the last rosy glow of dusk turn into darkness. This was the hour of danger, after sunset but before moonrise when the shades of the dead might return to trouble the living.

At this moment Sharn approached carrying a brand kindled from the sacred fire in the Inner Temple, only two living men could go into that sanctum, the Lord Druid and himself.

Fire to protect, fire to purify and fire to prevent the dead from leaving the Netherworld. He thrust the brand into the piled fuel. It caught at once, the omen was good.

Yellow-belted Priestesses lit torches from the banfire. Soon a circle of fires lit the night.

"Blessed be!" Kedren declared, the sign that the feasting could begin. Meats steamed upon the loaded tables as boar, venison and beeves were brought, piles of fresh-baked bread filled the air with their sweet scent. Dishes of fresh-caught fish with sharp herb sauces vied with the many flagons of the famed ale brewed by the Priestesses.

Vivien smiled. As long as the banfire burned she was free of all Temple rules.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 pm

The High Pristess Hanlon had been carried on her litter to the feast. She watched the ceremonies closely

There were no mistakes. Annoyed by that she called Vivien to her. The young woman bowed

"You hesitated in the song" she complained

"but it was done" Vivien stood up. Her golden hair now lit by firelight and shining red.

The High Priestess merely coughed.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:28 pm

When they had returned the High Priestess to the sanctuary, Vivien could turn her attention to food.

She had always been a very tidy eater, but the food at the feast was something everyone looked forward to. The savory meats and warm fresh breads. The girl could not help but lick the grease as it tried to run down her slender arm. Finally she had eaten her fill and looked at her positioning among the Feast goers.

It was dark enough for her to slip away into the night. "Finally, I can have some time on my own to find the Red Book," she spoke to herself really but was shocked when a reply came from the wooded area off the banfire.

"Time is short, act quickly," it was the same man from the Feast. Now her heart beat more swiftly. What did he say his name is again, Sean? No no that was not right, she would think on it later.

"I know my business Sir.....but thank you." The dark concealed his face, but the eyes, the eyes could be seen smouldering in the reflected light of the banfire. She stole away and back to the sanctuary. She first visited the library where all manner of books were kept. Only the most ancient of text were stored in a small room off the back. Moving quickly, she searched through all shelves and could not find the book. At least two hours had passed when she gave up on the library and headed to the four workrooms. These were used for the practice of the rituals. A thorough search turned up nothing. Then it occured to her, the old hag has the only two copies.

Silently as possible she crept into the sleeping room of the High Priestess one candle still burned next to the bedside. Flattening herself against the far wall, she waited for her heart to calm before searching each corner, nook and cranny. Nothing. She was about to give up when she saw the corner of a reddish colored book peeping out from under the bed linens.

Closing her eyes and steeling her courage, she tip-toed to the bed and lie flat on the stones. When she put one finger on the book it gave a literal yelp. Right book, wrong timing. The High Priestess rose straight up wide awake in her bed, "Who has the audacity to disturb my sleep? There can only be one so bold as to touch my treasures. VIVIEN!!!"

The girl grabbed the book, which again yelped as it had been spelled to do by the old woman. She started backing away, not daring to look at the Mother and not daring to speak. "Come here Vivien. I will not hurt you," she tried to put some tone of friendship in her voice, but Vivien knew better and turned her face towards the wall the book pressed against her stomach, yelping the whole time.

"You will never get away with this, I will see you burn before you usurp my place. LOOK AT ME!!"

Vivien turned with dread in her expression, she knew full well the penalty for sneaking into the bedroom let alone stealing a yelping book, she would die for her sins. If die she must, she would take the old fool with her. "You do not frighten me old woman. I was destined to wear the red and you know it. No amount of temporizing or threats will stop me and I will have my vengence upon you, mark these words." With that Vivien spoke softly to the Red Book which stopped yelping mid-yelp.

The High Priestess sputtered at the use of the magics to counter the spell she had placed and a dread cold feeling began to soak into the depths of her being. This girl must die and soon. "Give me my book."

"No." A simple and soft reply.

"GIVE ME MY BOOK!!!"

"No."

The High Priestess tried to rise from the bed and about succeeded before a coughing spell took her violently. Vivien stood shock still. The fit went on and on and finally ended with a final gasp as the old woman fell backwards in the bed, arms in the air.

Vivien fled the room. Was she dead? Who could last through a fit like that? She would not wait to find out. Securing the door to her own quarters behind her, the girl started reading at once. If in fact the High Priestess has expired, she would want to be the one raised to the red girdle and she would have to know all the secrets of the red.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 pm

The day dawned pale and clear. Smoke still drifted over the fields that had been lit by the banfires of the night before.

The rising bell tolled and the priestesses filed to the temple shivering in the dawn chill.

The Lord Druid stood in the place of Angarahad, the High Priestesses' second. She stood to his right, face impassive. To his left was Sharn, still as a statue.

"The Lady Hanlon has departed to the Netherworld" Kedren announced "Blessed be her shade"

The assembled women echoed him, a chorus of voices repeating his benediction. Kedren's eye settled on Vivien. She stood straight and calm.

"We bury the most reverend Lady this day. Tomorrow will be the Testing" he raised his hand
"Prepare the funeral feast and dig the grave. The Earth will take back what is hers"
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Whoops accidental double post. Ignore
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:20 pm

A silent forms moves into view with a stool, setting it beside Rosie and settling in with a large bowl of buttery salted popcorn, watches wide eyed and listens to the intriguing story as it unfolds.

"This is good, very good!!" A soft voice says to Rosie so as not to interrupt the characters as they relive the story sharing, it with those present. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 pm

OOC - greetings friend Vanadarlin'. I hope you will follow along and enjoy. You are ever welcome on thread and to comment along the way. Apologies to my Knight and others, the muse has been messing with me to a large degree, but here goes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Those bells, will they never stop?" Vivien covered her ears, mostly out of a shame and guilt that she did not feel. They had been tolling for two days now in memory of the passing of Mistress Hanlon. It had already been decreed that the burial would take place this very day and then testing would be completed. A new High Priestess would be named.

Vivien knew that she was not ready. She had barely had a chance to read in the book of the Red. She was however not without resources. The old Mistress had had the right of it afterall. This Green priestess had much more about her than most ever could or would have dreamed her to possess.

All she knew at the moment was that she had to get out of her room. Get fresh clean air in her lungs and clear her mind. Currently it whirled with thoughts of acceptance and the dreaded rejection. "I will not return there, I would be sold into slavery and that I will not allow. Perhaps, should I fail, I would be kept on to serve the new High Priestess." Vivien mused aloud and then shook her head so all negative thoughts would vanish. It didn't work and the walk was a better choice.

Gathering her woolen cloak and gloves, she slipped out the side of the sanctuary and onto the well worn and well known path. It circled past the place of last nights banfire. The girl would have never thought the night to end in murder, if murder it could be called, more like a blessing to put the old girl out of her misery. Up to the tall standing Black Alder, which was her tree, her true and closest totum in the whole of the forest. The Black Alder, known for its beautiful fall colors, the deep penetrating root system and strength for fashioning furniture, was indeed her tree of choice. Now most of the leaves had fallen and blown away...a few stubborn pale orange leaves still clung to the barren branches.

Vivien hugged the tree, tried to pull the healing energy she so needed from it.

"Hello again," that voice spoke downwind of her. She spun around, her back now against her tree. "Do not be surprised to see me, certainly you expected..."

"I expected no such thing," she tried to keep the tremble from her voice. "You again intrude on my private thoughts. This time you have caught me in a very private place. Do you know where you stand?" Vivien looked squarely in the man's eyes, such penetrating eyes...she had even dreamed of them. Her face softened as he took two more steps. She felt his energy, sensed his being. He was not a threat, but he was certainly not a friend either, yet.

"Indeed, I do. I have seen you here before."

"So," she curled her smile up and hardened her eyes, "I see, you are a spy then, do you think to inform the Head Mistress of my activities?"

"I think that hardly possible, don't you?" he smiled genuinely back at her as she was blushing to the roots of her fine blonde hairline.

"You do not know me and it is dangerous, to say the least that you speak so casually and directly to me. I think it is time for you to go." She turned again and faced the tree. Her heart beat wildly against the firm bark, so well known after these years. Vivien strained, but could not hear any retreat. Won't he just go away, this is the most difficult time of my life, the test FOR my life. I can NOT be distracted.

She waited and waited, fearing to turn. Eventually curiosity caused her to swivel. The man was gone. "Well, good," she called to the empty forest. It was then she noticed something folded on a dead alder stump. Carefully she looked around and indeed could not sense or see anyone there. Picking up the material, she turned it over and caught her breath. Embroidered into the seam lines was a crest that she knew, the royal family crest. Her head jerked up as she scanned the treeline.

Certainly he meant this for me. I shall keep it and return it after my testing. The High Priestess has nothing to do with the Royal family and certainly as the High Preistess she would take no man to bed, either formally or in simple pleasure.

Vivien was very careful in retracing her steps, she kept believing that she saw something out of the corner of her eye. But when she would turn her head, there was nothing there. Still, she could not shake the feeling that she was being watched. And the bells.

"Tomorrow, the test. They will see, oh...they will certainly see."

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 pm

The first year was full of all sorts of fun on TORC, fun on MSN and getting to know each other. In time the fullness of how we meshed on so many levels was coming out. Often we finished each other sentances, said just the same thing the other was meaning to say.

It almost became comical....we even have the standard "Great minds," "Fools..." to bottle it all up in a nice and understandable way. Still it happens to this day, all these years later. And everytime, I laugh inwardly.

Not that I don't laugh outwardly either. There are multiple monitor screen cleanings after any long time spent talking on MSN. It seems there is a never ending wealth of information to impart and to listen to.

We have come to learn of each others family, friends and more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

It was dawn. The bells had fallen silent yet every woman named Priestess on Avebury Tor was wakeful.

Kedren would name the Three this day. It was customary for the Lord Druid to choose from the wearers of the Red but it was not unprecedented that a lower-ranked Priestess could be called.

Already the air was chill, frost lay upon the grass. The rising bell tolled, calling the community to their devotions.

Vivien arose drowsily, she had hardly slept this night and felt tired and unready to face the day.

Whoever the mysterious donor of the royal sigil was she cared not. She wanted..needed to hear the judgement of the Lord Druid.

In the hall, cloak wrapped tightly about her slight frame she waited. One word could change her future forever.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:35 am

The Lord Druid, Kedren had given serious thought to the choices for replacing the High Priestess. While there were two Red's who could have risen to the position, both were old and feeble and both had already refused. That left the greens and only three were even worth the effort. Sioban, Catraoine and then what to do with Vivien. The first two were old enough, but lacked a certain .... something. Vivien, had all the earmarks of a High Priestess, but she was far too young and impetuous yet to take the position. In the end, the Lord Druid made up his mind and sent notification that the three greens had been called and to be ready for testing on the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She paced her room restlessly, scrubbing her palms often on her thighs. "It must be this day, it must. I will have to outshine the others, if I want to gain the Red." Her words did little to qwell the nervousness of her stomach acids from churning.

There came a soft knock at the door. The girl jumped up as if she were sitting on a spring and swiftly opened the door. There was the steward of the Lord Druid, Kedren. "They are ready for you, now."

"I will get my cloak and be right with you." She turned to go.

"Now!!" The steward turned and started away, Vivien shuffled along behind and in short time found herself in the temple. All the priestesses were there and the contingent of Druids who would oversee the selection. Taking her place in the front row, she sat close to the two other Greens who were vieing for the coveted position of High Priestess.

Kedren cleared his throat. "Today, we test three Greens. With only two Reds in attendance, both whom have already declined to rise to the level of High Priestess will witness the test for the chosen one." He nodded to the ancient Reds watching.

Silence fell heavily around the temple.

"Sioban. Come forward." The largest in stature of the Greens to be tested stepped forward confidently.

"What are the components for constructing the seventh peril of Philea?"

Vivien strained her brain trying to think of the answer and her mind would not picture the ingredients. She was grateful that this question did not fall to her.

The pale look on Sioban's face was evident as she listed the ingredients. "Winter beet root, eucalyptis sap, goose berries, xanthan and ..... and." The lady struggled, trying to recall the last item.

"You have thirty seconds, Sioban," the Lord Druid pronounced, death on his tongue.

Vivien ticked the seconds off in her mind and just at the last second....

"PARTRIDGE FEATHER."

"That is correct, Sioban. Please take your seat.
Last edited by rwhen on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:39 am

"Catraoine," the High Druid called the next Green forward, she was the oldest of the trio. Hesitantly the woman stood before Kedren.

"Name the Sacred twelve, in order of naming. You have three minutes." The two Reds peered closely at the perspiring Green.

"First there was HP Aleanbh, second came HP Isibeal followed by HP Eabhla," Cataoine closed her eyes trying to envision the names as they appeared chiseled into the sancuary statues of the original twelve priestesses to form the Order.

"Then came HP Sorcha and HP Mailsi after that. The sixth was HP Eimhear and the seventh HP Ceili."

Everyone held their breath. The Reds nodded as each name was given.

"You have one minute left," the deep bass voice caused her to forget where she was in the naming.

"Ummm, HP Grainne took over for HP Labhaoise and then HP Maire was named." Struggling for the last two, Cataoine knew time was running short. and spat out, "HP Roisen and HP Sinead."

The gasp from the Reds told the fate of Cataoine. "You are dismissed. Please pack your things and prepare to leave." The finality of the High Druids tone was crushing for Cataoine and she left the temple in disgrace.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 pm

In time the clunky dial-up Hewlett Packard computer was replaced by a mac. She and I continued to talk and post and still something nagged at me.

I called her my Bene Gesserit lady and we had great fun exchanging quotes from the book (Dune) We would recite the Litany Against Fear together and confuzzle eveyone else.

Something in me did not just get along well with her but KNEW her. It was as if I had known her before in some other time, in another place.

Then I had a dream.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:50 pm

What was that dream about Ayslyn? :)
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

Image You are most welcome at Figments of a DuTchess and Doldriest
drieske
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Yes, I must get my muse back in focus to get on this again.

It takes a special writing to make it happen. Not just something made up, but also pulling together fragments of memory and thought.

Thank you for posting my friend Drieske. :D :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Return to Writing: The Scriptorium of Imladris