Huan's Hounds: The Dog Lover's Guild

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Eilowny » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 am

This seems to have died....but might be the only guild I fit! So here goes, my story about dogs. I've always loved them...my grandparents had a Pomeranian almost exactly my age, so I grew up playing with her. My aunts also had dogs (dachshunds) which we frequently kept. Unfortunately, my parents didn't want to get a dog for us...enter kind angel neighbor who gave us the cutest puppy! There was no question of us kids giving him up, so we have been the proud owners of a beautiful black lab/chow mix for about six years. He is a darling and contrary dog. I will miss him terribly when I leave for college soon... :(
Eilowny
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am

Welcome, Eilonwy! :hihi: Oops, "Eilowny." :oops: We're on the quiet side (hey, even Cat Lovers' is quiet right now!:shock:), but I'm hoping that it'll pick up soon. There's talk about new puppies over in Talk; I'll see if I can persuade some of them to come here.

I don't have a dog; I haven't had one (except for about a week) since I've been on my own, mainly because of the work involved, and the problem of seeing them cared for when one is away. But when I was with my parents we had dogs: a mixed-breed puppy when I was very small (he got hit on the road :(), a mixed-breed spaniel whom we had for about 6 years--she was old when we had to have her put down for cancer (my father had gotten her middle-aged from a coworker), and some Shelties when I was in high school and college, and my father was breeding them for awhile (he had to give it up because of his health).

What my husband and I have right now is two cats. He'd love to have a dog; he grew up almost always having dogs. But as I said before, they're impractical for us right now. We're apartment dwellers and we like being able to go away for weekends on occasion, and most hotels don't take dogs unless they're assist animals. The campground we visit for a large event every year doesn't take animals at all except for assist animals. And boarding costs just too much.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 am

Welcome Eilowny to the doggies guild. I too am without a dog at the moment, but would love to have one again. Doxies are my favorite, but I think I am going to get a Corgi next time, if I can - depends on health and where I end up moving.

How is the Chow mix? My X had a Chow and he was quite a handful, pretty dog, loyal to us, but we had to keep him away from strangers.

Good luck when you set off to the University!!

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 am

I posted this over in Talk, but here it is again for the dog-lovers: last Sunday my husband found on TV a dog show, a local one for us (though I hadn't realized it was coming--I haven't attended one in over 40 years): the Governor's Foot Guard show in Hartford CT. They hold it in the civic center now; when I went, in my teens, it was in the Hartford Armory. It's great to see the local talent; but it comes as a bit of a shock to see the groups and Best in Show held in the exhibition hall just like the breed competitions, when you've gotten used to seeing them on TV in the major shows on the green carpet in the arena. :)

Back when I was in high school, my father was breeding Shelties, and I went with him to all the local shows. He showed a couple of our dogs in breed competition, and our older male in Obedience. Once when we went to the Foot Guard show I dragged a friend along. We had a blast. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Sassyfriend » Thu May 03, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a Malteese/Jack russell terrier. We got her from the humane society.
Sassyfriend
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri May 04, 2012 5:05 am

Oh, she must be cute! :D And feisty too.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri May 04, 2012 6:30 am

I'm trying to imagine this dog and I simply can't. :D Sassy, does she jump a lot? I have a friend who has a Jack Russel and that dog loves to jump straight up in the air!

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Morwenna » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 am

I think it's a terrier thing. A family I knew had some wire fox terriers, and the male would leap off the porch, carom off the sidewalk, and bound over the rosebush hedge--which was as tall as me. :shock:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Re: Huan's Hounds: The Dog Lover's Guild

Postby Lanastus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Wow! I have been gone a while but i thought I would come to my favoriote forum and post here first, since my last post Tarina and I adopted a new pure bred black lab puppie, Domina Illius Nocte, or My lady of the Moonless Night. She is now ten months old and ~50lbs of loveable fur, I will attempt to get a picture of her up after I am home from work.

On a side note, it feels good to be back on torc
Lanastus
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Welcome back, Lan. :)

My parents came to visit this week with their 9 month old Border Collie puppy, Nell. She's absolutely gorgeous and so well-behaved and well-trained. We took her to a hotel as we had to attend my brother's graduation. She's not a city dog and wasn't too keen on wandering the city streets, but she was as good as gold in the car for the journey and also whilst the graduation was happening. She was lovely in the hotel, too. She's such a good-natured soul - you can't not be happy when you're with her. :D (There are some older photos of her in the link in my signature.)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Ashke Verasca » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 am

Hello!

I am proud owner of a huge, almost 100 kilograms dog of Cane Corso breed :) His name is Frodo! He is already six years old but acts like a puppy, really. I sometimes don't know what to do when he jumps on me with whole his weight ^^
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Ashke Verasca wrote:Hello!

I am proud owner of a huge, almost 100 kilograms dog of Cane Corso breed :) His name is Frodo! He is already six years old but acts like a puppy, really. I sometimes don't know what to do when he jumps on me with whole his weight ^^

:Q Sounds like Frodo isn't really an appropriate name! :D

He must be a handful! :D (Pictures? :) )
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Ashke Verasca » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 pm

It was given name by the breeder ;) I think it fitted as I love hobbits but didn't fit since he is so huge ^^

I don't have pictures, I don't have a camera...but like I said with my cats, I will try to figure something out :)
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Corazi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Ashke Verasca wrote:Hello!

Hi Ashke! Frodo sounds adorable. I'm a big fan of Mastiffs in general, they're just so much fun to own. :smile:

And hello everyone!

I've been a longtime dog lover, I think no house is complete without a dog. I currently own an American Staffordshire Terrior mix, more commonly known as a Pitbull. Our friends found he with a broken leg last year, and since they couldn't keep her we did. She's about 55 pound of love but thinks she's either a small dog or a cat! Every night she jumps on my lap and curls up to sleep while I'm watching tv.

I hope this thread starts getting more active. I love hearing about other peoples dogs! :smile:
Corazi
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Oh, Pitbull, I love them, they are very cute :)

My Frodo will eat today a lot of Christmas food. The only day in the year when we give him human food ;)
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:19 am

A couple tenants in our building have AmStafs and they're the lovingest critters you'd ever want to meet.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Ashke Verasca » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:37 am

Amstafs! I had two Amstafs, they were such lovely critters and they shared so much love. What a lost that they lived quite short, I loved them very much <3
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I keep forgetting that my brother-in-law's dog is an AmStaf. She's very sweet and sociable--but she's afraid of my husband!! He never gave her reason, ever, but she shies away from him and barks her head off at him, as if to warn the family against him! I'm usually guilty by association, but sometimes she'll come up to me, very hesitantly. Everyone else, she loves! The family is prone to having large parties, and I never saw her react that way to anyone else.

I wonder if it's because we went into their house once (with prior permission) when they weren't home, and the dog was, and it was the first time she ever saw us. And hubby is very large and tall (but so's their whole family, really) and carries a cane. None of us knows what her prior home life was like. There may be some unpleasant association there.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Ashke Verasca » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Oh my my, I don't know why but my big doggie is so...POSSESSIVE. He grabs us and it's so easy for him since he is so big. Sometimes I am afraid he will hurt me, really! But I love him so much, I couldn't regret him to hug us. HE just try to be friendly and shows love but well, yes, he is strong and big ;)
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Corazi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 am

Morwenna wrote:I keep forgetting that my brother-in-law's dog is an AmStaf. She's very sweet and sociable--but she's afraid of my husband!! He never gave her reason, ever, but she shies away from him and barks her head off at him, as if to warn the family against him! I'm usually guilty by association, but sometimes she'll come up to me, very hesitantly. Everyone else, she loves! The family is prone to having large parties, and I never saw her react that way to anyone else.

I wonder if it's because we went into their house once (with prior permission) when they weren't home, and the dog was, and it was the first time she ever saw us. And hubby is very large and tall (but so's their whole family, really) and carries a cane. None of us knows what her prior home life was like. There may be some unpleasant association there.

It's possibly the cane. With some dogs when there's something different or not normal for them then it's really scary. My cousins dog was afraid of my grandpa's walker for a long time. Hopefully the dog will start realizing that a cane's not a bad thing for her.
Corazi
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Morwenna » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 am

It's that time of year again--the Westminster Kennel Club show! Anyone catch the action last night?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 am

I did! :hihi:

So glad no poodle won best of group. :P
Of course, my Papillon didn't win, but at least it placed. :D
And so did the Pug. :D

Hoping this is they year the Golden gets some dap.

Go Doggies!
Image Eomer Won MoME

TVM Remembers Past Adventures Of MoME!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 51 :D
LOSSES: 52 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Morwenna » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am

My husband agrees about the poodles! :D

I did like that foxhound. But most of my favorite herders never seem to make the final cut. :( (Of course right now I don't remember who all the runners-up were, since I was forcing myself to stay awake at that point.)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 am

*raises hand*

I did. And I will be there tonight too.

I agree with you Calma and Morwenna's hubby...NO POODLES for once.

So far it is good...we will see how the rest goes. My doxies rarely make it to the finals anyway. So, I still watch.

GO DOGGIES!!!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Calma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

:yippie: :yippie: :yippie: :yippie:

The Affenpinscher!!!

Way to go, Banana Joe! :D

I was really hoping the Old English wouldn't take it.
Yeah, got first runner up, but not the crown.

Dang, just once, I wish they would give the Golden more than a look see.
Maybe next year....
Image Eomer Won MoME

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby rwhen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 am

Banana Joe....way to go!! I thought this dog was on from jump.

The crowd seemed to really want the old english too Calma. But it didn't happen.

It was a fun Westminster with loads of back information on all the dogs and more.

It makes my Valentines!! :D Next year!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 am

I was very happy about the Affenpinscher too. He had 'tude from the word go. :D

My other favorite was the foxhound--did you see the head on that critter? :shock:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 am

Yea! Three for Banana Joe! :D
Image Eomer Won MoME

Join the funWith The TVM