Huan's Hounds: The Dog Lover's Guild

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Postby Morwenna » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:52 pm

We had a puppy once who had a floppy ear like Teena's. We nicknamed her Funny Face. When she grew up, her new owners brought her to see us (or rather, for us to see); her ears had straightened out nicely and she was drop-dead gorgeous. No reason it can't happen here! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 pm

It is very common for the ears in GSD's and Shilohs to come up around 10 to 12 weeks, then fall down again when the puppy's permanent teeth start to come in. That was the case with Teena. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of her with both ears up before they went floppy again.

The ears generally come back up and stay up sometime between 5 months and 9 months (which is when teething is finished.) No one has ever explained the connection between teething and the ears going floppy. I suspect it's more coincidence than anything else.

They are showing signs of coming back up again. If something really catches her attention, she will put both of them up, so I'm not at all worried that they will come up eventually. It's a fault if they aren't up by (I think) 1 year of age.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Beautiful dogs Sunsilver dear!!! Yes do share more pictures with us of the dogs and Teena as she grows up. :D
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Sunsilver » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:18 am

Morwenna wrote:Your Ranger is a wonderful dog, and a darn handsome brute as well! :)

No kidding! He has the most beautiful, masculine head...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/ ... adshot.jpg
Last edited by Sunsilver on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Daefaroth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:11 am

REMINDER:

Images in posts should not exceed the limits set for signature pictures, i.e. 300x400 pixels and a maximum filesize of 50 Kb.

If you wish to use a larger image, please provide a LINK to it.

Oversized images will be removed.

Thank you.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:11 pm

But what's wrong with floppy ears? I love the floppy ears. :love:

Boo on the kennel clubs who say ears musn't be floppy! ;)

I gave Charlie her Christmas presents today and she loved them. Although she's about 8 or 9, she sometimes still acts like a puppy. :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Yes, I love floppy ears. That's what my dog Sam had.

Happy New Year!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:48 pm

China came in and took her stocking down and was digging in it. I dropped everything out and she looked to me to open them. I got her some mylar balls and she was excited about those but the catnip in the bag got most of her attention. She started playing with the bag.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:09 am

CR, I'd promised to post here, then missed it. :hug:

We've had dogs all my life...my parents had dogs before they had me! Right now we have an elderly Springer Spaniel with a crooked foot named Shawnacey. She's...nuts. Not so bad now, but she used to steal socks and plastic jugs, get lost in a wind storm, you name it. :D

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Morwenna » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Funny Face the puppy (I make the distinction because long before that we once had a cat named Funny Face) had one floppy ear and one flop-over-the-top-of-her-head ear. This in a breed where the ears are supposed to be three quarters erect! As I said, though, when she grew up her ears went up properly, with no hint that they ever were lopsided.

It was more natural than you might think to nickname her Funny Face, because not only did she have the aforementioned ears, she also had the same lopsided blaze up her muzzle that the cat had had.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:49 pm

When I was really young, my parents had Boston Terriers. The first pair were named Kelly and Lady which I have no memory of. The second pair, which are the ones I remember, were Buster and Star.

I've never been a very a big person, and they both died when I was young, so I had a slightly warped view of their size. After they both died, I didn't see one again until I was an adult. I recognized the breed and stared at it really confused. I couldn't understand why it was so small. :P :roflmbo:
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Sunsilver » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:30 am

Wow, now that's funny, Tarina! :lol:

One of my uncles had a purebred Boston terrier for many years. Someone dumped it at the end of his laneway on the farm.

As farm dogs go, it was spoiled rotten. It even got to sleep on the bed!

Maybe he had such a soft spot for it because the dog really earned his keep. He was a really good rat and mouse catcher.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:09 pm

:rofl:

My grandparents had a boston bull named Patsy. Patsy had a...gas problem. My grandfather would get a whiff of her and say, "Oh, Patsy!" and she'd get up and move away. It got where she'd let loose...and get up and walk away before he got the whiff! :rolf:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tarina » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Ah, the joys of walking a dog in the snow. Especially one fairly low to the ground who loves to barrel through drifts at full speed. :rofl:
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 am

We had the first "dreaded" conversation this morning...should we have Shawnacey put down, or wait? I'm all for waiting a while yet. The question is, is she happy? And how can you tell? If she were suffering, that would be one thing...but how do you define suffering? She's tired, her one hind leg isn't supporting her well, she doesn't want to eat...but is she suffering?

*sigh* :(

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 am

:rose: Iris

Snow: our oldest female Sheltie loved the stuff. She was a placid dog who usually plodded around, ears down, really laid back (Mom used to call her "my little cow"); but get her out into the snow--! UP went the ears, into the drifts she'd bound, leap and roll around; and when we finally called her in, she'd come up the steps looking like a heavily sugared doughnut. We'd have to towel her off before letting her in.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Sunsilver » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:44 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:We had the first "dreaded" conversation this morning...should we have Shawnacey put down, or wait? I'm all for waiting a while yet. The question is, is she happy? And how can you tell? If she were suffering, that would be one thing...but how do you define suffering? She's tired, her one hind leg isn't supporting her well, she doesn't want to eat...but is she suffering?

*sigh* :(

Iris, usually, they'll let you know. One day, the look in their eyes just says, "I can't do this anymore."

As a nurse, I did a lot of palliative care, and, when the patient stops eating, (and there's no reason for it, such as a medication which might be causing nausea) that's almost always a sign the end is very near. Same goes for animals. It's the body's way of starting to shut down.

IF you know an animal really well, you can tell if they're in pain. They wiil be restless. If the pain is in one particular area, they will lick the area, and not want you to touch it.

If she seems comfortable, just let her be. Sometimes, they just go quietly in their sleep, saving you from having to make that dreaded decision.

Towards the end, my German Shepherd, Tasha, didn't want to eat very much, and started to get very thin. I was putting chicken broth on her food to tempt her to eat. She slept a lot, but was still drinking well, and could make it up and down the stairs, and still went out for one short, slow walk with me every day. But sometimes, she'd be lying SO still, I'd get up to check to see if she was still breathing. Eventually, she did just go quietly in her sleep, while being boarded at the vet's. She was 14 1/2, which is a very good age for a dog of her breed.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:47 am

I think that's what we're going to aim for. She eats in fits and spurts, so that's what we let her do...she's drinking okay too, and still rolling in the snow. :) Squatting is hard on her, though. :(

I just hate the idea of digging a grave in the winter...our last two dogs died Dec. 30 and February...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Sunsilver » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 am

Rolling in the snow sounds good... :) She wouldn't do that if she were really suffering.

I've only ever had to put one dog down due to physical problems. My first GSD got arthritis in her spine and eventally couldn't walk, as she lost control of the muscles in her hind legs. She was only 9, and the front end wanted to keep on going. :(

I'll never forget how the day before my husband took her off to the vet for the last time, she had a good roll in the nice, sun-warmed grass... :cry2:

She HAD to be in pain from the arthritis, but she was such a brave lady that she never showed it.

That was hard, really hard....
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 am

We had to have our old spaniel put down when I was in junior high. We'd had her for six years but the vet said she was about 14--that made her about my age or even older!! We had her third-hand so we were never quite sure of her age. Well, she had gotten abdominal tumors, and she'd roll onto her back to show us she had a problem; Mom was adamant that we take her to the vet. Now, she had never been taught to heel, so Daddy had a lead in the back of the car for her for whenever we went anywhere with her. The night we took her to the vet that last time, Daddy just opened the car door without taking her lead and she heeled beside him right up to the vet's door. And that's the last Mom or I ever saw of her. When Daddy came back he told us the vet had said the cancer had spread so much it would have been too risky to try to operate, especially considering her age, and so she was put down. Mom expected that would happen. I was devastated. Well, I got it out of my system; Mom kept her cool because we still had errands to run; but when we got home Mom left everything in the middle of the kitchen table, went off to her room and had a good cry. Ironically, at first Mom hadn't wanted a dog, but Lucky became her constant companion over the years.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

:hug: for you Iris. Losing a pet is always hard. Which was why when we lost Buster when I was 5, my mom never actually told my sister and me what happed to him until we were much older. What actually happened was that he got out of the backyard, got hit by a car, and died. Around the same time we were going to Michigan and Ohio to visit my mom's brothers. So mom told us she took him to a kennel so he would have people to care for him while we were gone. When we got back, she said she didn't feel up to caring for the dog anymore and made arrangements for the kennel to keep him.

On a happy note, I have probably the most patient puppy ever. Tuon turned 1 year old in September, so she's still fairly young. Wiggles has reached the "grab and pull on everything in sight" stage, and that includes Tuon. Wiggles is particularly fond of Tuon's collar and tags, and will try to get them whenever she can. In the process, she'll grab Tuon's tail, ears, and anywhere else she can reach. And Tuon just sits there and lets her. Doesn't snap, doesn't shake her off, doesn't even move away. Of course, Tuon is usually trying to lick whatever part of Wiggles she can reach, but it's still impressive.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 am

:hug: Tarina.

Surprisingly, Shawnacey has actually improved recently. I think she's wearing down, but isn't completely out yet. (she must have listened to my "no graves until spring" lecture).

and hooray for Turon! Dogs and kids are a great combination.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tarina » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 am

Yay for Shawnacey! :D :D

And another bonus for baby and dog combos: Wiggles is not afraid of any dog. Even if it's big, which hers isn't, she isn't afraid. She just wants to grab it and kiss it. :rofl:
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby Sunsilver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:07 pm

She just wants to grab it and kiss it.

NOOOO!!

You've just given the NUMBER ONE reason kids get bitten by dogs, and usually on the face, too!

PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE teach her that is NOT what you do with a strange dog!

Oh, dear heavens, I have OWNED a dog that would bite someone who got too much in her face. It is a very threatening thing to do from a dog's point of view! Luckily, she limited her reaction mostly to a growl and a warning snap, but once she did nail a little girl on the lip, and drew a few drops of blood. (The kid had been warned numerous times by us, but just HAD to find out the hard way... :roll: )
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh, we keep a nice distance between Wiggles and unknown dogs. And with some dogs she knows. Grandma Linda and Grandpa Lee own two maltipoos named Buddy and Ruby. Ruby is very affectionate, active dog (Linda calls her an attention slut) that doesn't mind a Wiggles tugging on ears and such. Buddy would not tolerate tugs and kisses, so she gets to watch Buddy. It's the same thing with the Liri, the cat. Wiggles gets to watch Liri, but can't touch because Liri wouldn't tolerate the grabbing.

If we get permission from a new dog's owner, Lan or I will hold her and help her pet the side of the dog lightly so Wiggles can feel the fur, but that doesn't happen too often. She doesn't have too many opportunities to meet new dogs.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 pm

When I was little, we'd always lived in rentals and appartments, so I had never been around dogs, (except for my Great Aunties' shtzus, which I was allergic to, along with a lot of other things that I have since outgrown) and was TERRIFIED of most dogs I came in contact with, except puppies and ones shorter than my knees.

When we moved to a house where we could have a dog, my parents decided to cure me of my fear and baught a yellow lab pup to grow up with me. I've hardly been scared of dogs since.

I have a soft spot in my heart for labs, but find that they tend to *act* dumb. I have since been in contact with a sheltie and loved the inteligence, like she completely understood what I was saying. I used to hate chihuahuas, (I called them "rat dogs") but have recently been introduced to one and am contemplating getting a long haired one once I'm living some place where I can have a dog.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Large, active dogs used to frighten me when I was a child, probably because of their size combined with their enthusiasm. My playmate's family across the street had a pointer, who scared the bejeebers out of me once when I went over there and the dog was in the yard with no people about. I was maybe about seven, and Soxie was her usual bounding noisy self, but with no people around when she came at me I screamed so, I got yelled at by my playmate's mother. I guess I scared her!! Truth was, Soxie wouldn't hurt a fly. But I just wasn't used to big dogs. We might not even have had our spaniel yet.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Tarina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm

I just witnessed something very funny. Tuon has an orange "stuffed" duck (who's stuffing has been removed) that was lying on the living room floor. Wiggles saw it and scooted her way over to it and grabbed it. Tuon was like "That's mine!" and jumped off the couch. She grabbed it, but in a spot where she didn't get Wiggles' hands, and the two of them played a very gentle game of tug of war. :rofl: Wiggles was laughing and Tuon was obviously having a good time too.
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:37 am

How cute! :D

Shawnacey has a bladder infection. She was bleeding when she peed again, so mom took her to the vet. Otherwise, the vet said she's in great condition for her age and whatever we're doing, we're to keep doing. We just don't know what exactly we're doing!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 am

Tarina, that's great! :D

Iris, I'm glad Shawnacey's doing so well. But that's the way it is with us all: age brings on all sorts of bodily malfunctions. Good luck with her.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth