Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VI

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: Middle-Aged Crazy Guild Part VI

Postby dr_boots » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 am

Hello everyone!

We are having our first "spring" day today :clap: . In the 60s and sunny. Sure lifts up the spirits after all the wintertime blues!

Mooters just put in for my vacation for the week of and the week after the MOOT. Already approved! Hard to believe how quickly it is approaching. Do any of you know yet what days you will be coming and staying? With the snow receding, I've been trying to get an idea of what yard work needs to be done and what damage was done. I am amazed at how many of the solar lights are still lit. Carol (my neighbor) came over yesterday evening to watch some Dr. Who episodes (first I get her addicted to Sherlock and now Dr. Who =:) ) and it was dark when she left and with all the lights out there it looked like a fairyland. Snow is still covering fishissoise so haven't been able to get a good look at the pond.

I guess DOS took best film in scifi/fantasy category at the Empire awards. Jimmy Nesbitt (Bofur) was the host. Aidan Tuner (Kili) took best male newcomer award. More on the awards is over on TORN.

Well this time next week, my DOS DVDs should be on their way. Am really looking forward to seeing all the extras. Hopefully since PJ didn't have very many video blogs out pre DOS, there will be some new "stuff" on the extras. Its supposed to get here next Tuesday and I have that Tuesday off so I guess I know what I'll be doing :D .

Morwenna, is there any hospital say involved with the surgery? It seems like so much is done outpatient now though I would imagine this would require at least an overnight. One thing I've never understood is why they can get you all riled up and anxious about something needing to be done and then make you wait so long to get it done.

Hope Vana is enjoying her sojourn in warmer climes.

Love & hugs
Dr. B
Chaser after loose Greyhounds
Slave to all cats
Proud citizen of MACadamia

"No, my neighbors, never think
that path is a short one; you must
have a lion's heart to go by that way, it
is not short and its seas are deep,
you will walk it long in wonder, sometimes
smiling, sometimes weeping."

-Attar, "Parliament of the Birds"
dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 am

Hubby's are strictly outpatient; in and out. Mine is technically outpatient, but it involves an overnight stay.

I could have rushed it; there was a cancellation for this week, and if I had accepted it I'd be in the hospital right now. But I took the first available one after that instead; it gives me time to get the paperwork all in a row and a physical from my doctor first.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 pm

Well we went and saw and had a great time!! We were in Fernandina Beach, just outside of Jacksonville. The weather was warm but not too humid. We went to the Ocean and waded a bit and looked for seashells and shark teeth (found both). Had a great party for Gram Loretta. She had a car accident about two weeks ago but luckily did not break anything. Someone t-boned her car, it could have been really bad and we could have been going to a funeral instead of a birthday party. Well while we were there we celebrated all of us who had birthdays in March and even the birthdays in April like Ryan's.

His Aunt Judy fed us very well. Lots of great southern cooking. We had a barbecue of Pork, Brisket and chicken! So much food!! Their home is beautiful and right on the water or a brackish area and Ryan got to go kayaking. I got some pictures and was thinking about if we all could have been there walking the beach and having a great time. I sure do miss all of you!

Many of Ryan's family had never met me and I was surprised that they all loved me!!! Several of his relatives hope that we can return before long. His cousin and Aunt & Uncle added us to their FB pages and so we can keep in touch. Ryan is looking into finding a Blog site or something so we can all download our pictures and share stories of their growing up so that we have all the family gossip. I picked up the southern accent very quickly and am now trying to remove it from my vocabulary some. Boy is it hard once you talk that way and it is very natural. ( my mom was from Oklahoma )

Was good to get home though. Got into Seattle at midnight and got home to bed about 2am this morning. China was so happy to see us!!! She slept right up against me so that my arm was around her all night long. Getting the house back to normal today after working for 6 hours. Laundry is running and dinner is served. Now I have a hubby with a fever (I think he got dehydrated and did get a sunburn). Silly man forgot his hat at home.

Morwenna I hope you hubby heals quickly and that your surgery goes well. Will be praying for you!! :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:24 am

Vana, great to see you back! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves.

I have my pre-op clearance appointment on the 15th. They've already started processing the insurance clearance. Now all I have to do is fill out the family leave act paper. And of course follow the pre-op instructions. Gad, it's been so long since I've had anything done, and when they did my arm it was an emergency case. I was a child for everything else! Then it was my parents' headache, not mine! :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Just a quick drop by

Just got an e-mail from Padger to let me know his Mom had passed away on April 1. As he has been reporting she has been ill for a some time and her heart finally gave out. She was a wonderful lady!

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 am

Hello everyone! I am enjoying some time with nunke. Very low key as it is raining and storming. Not at all conducive to doing anything in the garden. Instead she is beating me up at Boggle and rummy. *grin*

Padger I am sorry to hear about your Mother. Please accept my condolences. *hugs*

Morwenna Good luck to you and your husband on the paperwork and the surgeries. I hope all goes well.

Vana So glad you had a fun trip to Florida. And of course they loved you! You are good people!
dr. b Good to hear that you are finally having some Spring! I have some crocuses and daffodils blooming along with the forsythia. Very pretty. Rosie-cat is starting to shed so that is another sign of spring.

Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Hwesta » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 am

News, news! I just checked my email and a friend sent me this link. Someone has written music for all of Tolkien's poems!
I haven't checked it out yet but I figured you all would want to know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrpGHr ... BFF36E5258

Enjoy!
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby nunke » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:19 pm

HELLO EVERYONE!

I am really enjoying my visit with Hwesta. It has been far too long since we got to hang out! She is doing well and didn't even ask for a nap yesterday... in fact, we were watching tv around 10 last night and she caught me dozing and made ME go to bed! It makes me happy to see her feeling better :D

I've sent my condolences to Padger already, but would like to add them here. I've seen a pic of his mom with his daughter and grandchildren, and she seems like such a sweet woman.

I've been enjoying what warmer weather we've had. Seems like winter just didn't want to let go. Now we have arrived, tho, and I've been able to get out and play in my garden some. The daffodyls have started to bloom along with the crocuses. The apple trees are starting to show green tips. I have baby tomatoes, cucumbers, etc under lights in my dining room. The horses and dogs are shedding :roll:

Rhonda, I've missing one of my oldest/biggest fishies, too. Didn't even realize which one was missing until Ryan pointed it out. Never did see any sign of "remains", so I have no idea what happened to it. I was sorry to hear that you lost one of your fish over the winter, and will gladly bring you 2 smaller ones to help replace it :angel: :)

Vana, sounds like you and Ryan had a really nice trip to Florida, and what's not to love about you? I hope he is recovering from his fever/sunburn. I can just imagine you and China curled up. I bet she was purring to beat the band!

Morwenna, I hope you have a smooth experience with your surgery and an even smoother recovery. We will all be thinking about you.

Hero is doing well. She is visiting our sister in Lexington this weekend, I think. Next week she starts a full time job doing data entry. Pray for her as it is 3rd shift and will be a big adjustment for both her and her DH. She is still actively seeking employment as a teacher. She has been working on a book, historical fiction loosely based on some of our ancestors that were involved in the Underground Railroad in SE Indiana.

DISCLAIMER - Don't read this next paragraph without knowing that I GOT THE DATES WRONG! I have apologized and recanted next post down...

MOOT! I have asked for Wed-Sun at work (June 11-15). We may drive up late Tuesday like we did last year, or wait to come on Wednesday. That is my and Hwesta's plan, but I don't know what Hero is thinking. I'm hoping she can come up with us (wouldn't be the same without her). Her birthday is the 11th.

My bedtime alarm just went off, so I'd better wrap this up. Love to all and :grouphug:

nun
Last edited by nunke on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nunke
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Padger I am so sorry to hear this news. I pray that you and your family will find the comfort you need at this time. :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby nunke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 pm

OH MY GOSH!

I AM WRONG, I WAS WRONG! SO SORRY! When I was posting I had Denise next to me and a video playing and was "trying to ride 3 horses at the same time (never a good idea :bang: ) I was looking at the calendar with half my brain. :roll: So sorry for the mix-up and resultant stress.

What I meant to say was "I have asked for Wed-Sun at work (June 18-22)". This, of course, is the week following Hero's birthday, and Father's Day, and is the one we had agreed on, right?

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

nun (the to-be-perpetually-apologizing one)

PS -sorry
nunke
Ranger of the North

Postby NimrodelSong » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi everyone!

Nunke, thanks for the clarification. :) Sus and I plan to be there on Thurs. the 19th, staying through Monday.

Vana, so glad you had a nice trip and enjoyed yourselves. :)
NimrodelSong
Kentucky Woman

Postby dr_boots » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 am

Whew!!!! :Q

Was worried there for a moment. Thought I had got my wires crossed. Thanks Diann. I know how easy it is when you're tired to have those moments of alternative reality..... 8) . Ancient Chinese proverb says those who ride three horses are most likely to .....be very sore in the morning. Thanks for the offer for fishies but I think Margaret has a couple for me. Don't know how well they would have survived the trip from Kentucky either. You got some babies??? Those comets can sure procreate. That one year, Margaret's husband got 22 fishies from my pond.

We are finally getting some decent weather today....at least the sun is shining. Still chilly though. Looks like the ice and snow is melted off the pond so now I have to summon up the courage to go look for the mortal remains of fishyssoise.

Going to lunch with Jill this afternoon. Nothing fancy....just Steak and Shake. Want to go see Captain America something over the next week or two. Really more interested in the concept of the Winter Soldier as we have that graphic novels in the library. And of course DOS arrives this Tuesday....which I have off. Nice congruence and alignment of the stars.

Hwesta, Carol has been coming over just about every evening after she gets supper for Joe. We've been watching Dr. Who episodes. Tonight is the one about Vincent Van Gogh. You remember what a heartbreaker that was.

BTW, here is the link to the funeral home where Padger's mom's memorial is at and you can leave a message for the family there. Her name was Mabel Tichota: http://www.wyuka.com

Well have to go get ready to go to lunch. You all take care and have a good weekend.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:59 pm

dr.b I loved that episode of Dr. Who! Have you introduced Carol to the *shudder* Weeping Angels yet?

nunke What a lavish apology! It must be said that I didn't catch it either. *goes off whistling*

Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Hwesta, Carol (evil devious Carol) placed a stone angel statue in front of the door so it was the first thing I saw when I opened the door to let the dogs in! She had run around the corner of the front porch so she could see my reaction! Her snickering gave her away. Now I just have to think up a suitable revenge. =:)
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Padger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Howdy !!

Thank you all so much for your caring thoughts and words. Mom was one of the sweetest and happiest people I will ever have the privilege of knowing. She had a very nice funeral with many beautiful flowers and a bright sunny day. She will be dearly missed.

Take care and best wishes to you all

* hugs *
Padger
Shield Bearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 pm

:hug: to you Padger!! I will continue to pray for your family!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dimamarthiel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Padger, I am so sorry about the loss of your mom. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Morwenna, prayers for you and your husbands recovery.

Vana, glad your are back safe and sound and that you had a good time. Of course his family loves you!! Any job offers yet?

dr_boots, I've never watched Dr. Who. Is it that good? Glad you are having some spring finally. Here it feels like summer already. It's supposed to be 90 degrees tomorrow. I don't think we have had any winter to speak of and where did spring go? It hasn't rained very much at all. Very scary!

Hwesta, thank you for the link. Will try it soon.

Nunke, you apologize beautifully. :rofl: Hope Hero gets a teaching job soon.

I have tomatoes, strawberries, herbs, blueberries and raspberries growing in my garden. My lemon tree is finally sprouting green shoots. I thought I had lost it to the frost we had and I am so glad that it's still alive! I love Myer lemons!

Got to see the play Wicked on Saturday and it was really good. I wasn't sure whether I was going to like it or not but I did. Quite a different perspective on the Wicked Witch.

So sad about Rowanberry. :( We need to hold our family and friends close because they may not be here tomorrow. :rose:

Hello Nim, Gil, Sidd. and anyone I might have missed. :hihi:
The Bard's Guild~Bard of Renown~Bardic Daughter of the Stars
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel
Bardic Daughter of the Stars

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm

No job offers as of yet but still looking and praying about it. So I know it will happen sometime soon. Thank you for asking Dima!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 am

Padger :hug:

Vana, continued good wishes.

I'm one step closer. I had the pre-admission tests today. They called me back to say that my blood looked thin, that I should have a re-test; but a week from today I'm seeing my regular doctorfor the pre-op clearance, and since he's on the same network as the hospital, they can give me a new blood test over there. Hey, at least I don't look to be in danger of clots!

Last night I filed our income tax. We're getting a nice refund. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone!

I got my DVDs today :D . YAY!!!! Dr. B does happy dance. :clap: :clap: :clap: :happydance: I know what I will be doing tonight! Carol has the flu so no Dr. Who.....wait a minute...that rhymed.

Dima, so glad to hear from you. Unfortunately the only thing sprouting in my garden at the moment is dead leaves. There is probably something coming up underneath. My neighbor has crocuses blooming. They are on the east side of her house so the West Wind doesn't get to them. As for Dr. Who, its the longest running series on TV. Been going since 1963. The current episodes are written and produced by Steve Moffat who does Sherlock. Its part scifi/horror/fantasy and comedy. The doctor is a humanoid alien that travels throughout time and space with a series of human companions. Every three or four years he regenerates into a new "person" retaining many of the previous doctor's memories and some of the personality traits. Series has a lot of heart and has the whole issue of love at its core. Some of the most tender and some of the most humorous moments in a TV series have been in Dr. Who episodes as well as the scariest.

BTW, Hwesta.....Carol really teared up during the Vincent Van Gogh episode as well as Amy's Choice (where they had to determine which reality was a dream and she finally chose between Rory and the Doctor).

Morwenna, it sometimes seems like all the prep work and testing for surgery is worse than the surgery itself. Hwesta had to go through an awful lot before her surgery.

Vana, have you heard anything at all from Home Depot? Did you take any pictures in Florida. Those of us that are starved for some sun and waves would love to see.

Well my hounds are barking at something outside. I am worried about Happy as she has a tendency to drag her right rear foot and that can be a sign of neurological problems.

Take Care on and all.

Love & Hugs
Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Padger. :rose:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey fellow hobbits, dwarves, elves and men! Did anyone else see the interview with Richard Armitage over on TORN. Wonderful news for those wondering what will be in the extended edition of DOS. There is much more time spent in Mirkwood which includes some parts straight from the book. Bombur falling into the river and the other dwarves having to carry him, as well as the dwarves chasing after the white stag. There is also more with Beorn too. This is good news for the Tolkien fans. :thumbsup:

That's all for now!

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am

No I did not see that Dr. B but I will have to go check it out.

You asked recently if I had heard any more from Home Depot. I had not till this morning when I got a call about a different position and if I was interested in going for it. I answered their questions and now wait to see if they feel I am in line to interview for it. The good thing is it is for more money and Monday thru Friday afternoon and evenings. I can handle that very well. Now we wait once more and hope that it comes through.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 am

Hi everyone,

At work and at lunch. Just took a peek out the back door towards the lake and it looks like we're in for a thunderstorm or something. Deep purple sky and just that feel in the air. Don't know if we will get it at the Last Homely House or not. Its a bit north and further from the lake than the library so it may miss MOOTerville.

Vana, I will sure keep my fingers crossed for the Home Depot job. Sounds like it would be pretty good with better hours and higher wages. Did they say what you might be doing should you get the job? Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!

Well the microwave just dinged so my "lunch" :roll: :P (and I use that term with caution) must be ready.

Have a nice rest of the weekend!

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 am

I would be working whats called Pro Accounts. I would be contacting and working with businesses that purchase materials from Home Depot I guess. We will see cause no word on an interview again yet.

But we have several businesses moving into the area... Burlington Coat Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods, looks like a new Walgreen's being built and also I got word that the business I was working for that closed a year ago is now looking for property in the area to build a new store.

We got our copy of DoS and have enjoyed seeing it again!! Does anyone know where the Extended version goes on sale?
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi to everyone .....or at least to those who still post on MAC and to lurkers...

Has anyone seen the previews of the TV show Fargo? Based on the movie of the same name......but.....(drumroll)...Martin Freeman is starring in it! I kept seeing glimpses of him on previous shorter teasers but couldn't be sure. Tonight they had a much longer ad and there he was, no doubt about it. I checked the guide and sure enough it was him....Bilbo (and John Watson) makes it to North Central America. Can't wait to watch and see. Its starts on FX this Tuesday. Previews look good.

Vana, that sounds like a pretty good job for you (just don't let the contractors bully you) and I hope you get it.

Gotta go

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Hwesta » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:26 am

Good grief! Here I was going to post about how beautifully things are blooming, the Virginia bluebells, the redbuds, the spring beauty's covering the front and back yards when I hear on the radio that there is a chance of snow tonight! Yikes! The dogwood trees are beginning to blossom just in time for the the dogwood festival and they are talking snow!

I was able to go for a wildflower ramble last week - not a hike for we were going much too slow -and saw oodles of spring wildflowers. It made me wonder about the Shire in Spring, also Ithellin (sp?) and what wildflowers would be blooming there.

dr. b I'm hoping all your snow has melted off by now. Is anything coming up in your garden? Thanks for the news about Martin Freeman. He is certainly in demand, isn't he?

Vana I am keeping my fingers crossed for you regarding the job search. Good luck.

Nim I had a dream that several of us were at your house - at least it was your house in the dream - for a mini-Moot. :)

Well, this is all for now.
Hwesta
Hwesta
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 am

Fingers crossed, Vana!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:25 pm

AAAACCCCKKKK!!!!!

Its supposed to snow tonight. :P Probably won't be much

but its the principle of the thing. :angry:

I guess I should be used to this sort of thing after having lived here most of my life. Still one holds onto hope.

Carol and I are going to remove fishyssoise from his (or her) watery grave this evening. Too hard to get down to the river right now so will bury him somewhere in the yard outside the fence. He's not a pretty sight. Carol and I are trying to figure out how we can get him out without looking too closely. Maybe we can sweet talk her husband into doing it.

Hwesta, my last patch of snow melted last Monday. Had this one little mound that seemed to hanging on for dear life. All gone now and I noticed some of the willow catkins are starting to appear. That's about all the "spring" stuff I have going on now.

On the few nice days we had I was able to open up the back porch and spend some time out there reading. Even with the jalousies closed I could hear the wind in the trees and the spring peepers down by the river. Going to have to do some serious cleaning out there which entails cleaning the jalousies. This will be the first time I've done it without MM there to help :( . Her and I used to have an assembly line going with me washing the jalousies and her vacuuming the screens and sills. All done to the music of either U2 or Led Zepplin...and sometimes the Pogues or The Clash.

Well its time for me to get back to work. You all take care and have a good day.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots