The Bards' Guild - Let's Sing It One More Time

The varied peoples of Middle-earth at times found unity in their pursuits, and all too often experienced deep rifts. Engage in lively conversations as we banter about the differences between the Alliances, and recruit for our People as well. Remember, keep it friendly.

Re: The Bards' Guild - Let's Sing It One More Time

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Telta felt rather than heard the quiet half-elf appproach her. A few moments passed then she felt a tap on her shoulder. The elf turned a questioning look on her face.

His slightly awkward expanation and apology was unexpected nor was there any need for him to do so. He had nothing to apologize for. She watched him as he spoke and when he complimented her on her looks she was surprised.

Telta could only imagine what she looked like after days of riding. She hadn't even taken the time to refresh herself before entering the guild house. The elf ran a hand through her pale blond hair feeling the tangles and knots the wind had created. She looked down brushing at the dirt and dust that had imbedded itself on her clothes and skin. She stopped realizing just how much the opposite she looked of what Sidhlarion had said.
She started to laugh. A quiet, warm genuine sound. He stepped back his expression one of hurt.

"Sidhlarion Valar I do ask your forgiveness. I am laughing at myself not at you. Your words are kind but there is nothing to apologize for. As for me well I know what I must look like and fair does not apply in this instance."

Her words caused him to blush. She had embarrassed him though she had not meant to. Telta laid her hand upon his arm when he turned away from her, her mood turning serious. He looked at her.

"I have not laughed in quite some time. I was beginning to think I could not." She squeezed his arm gently.

"Thank you."

Letting go she looked out at the horses once more her face a shade redder at the boldness of her action.

"I promised Shadowdancer a good grooming. Perhaps we could talk more. I would like to hear what made you decide to become a bard."

OOC-Thank you Sid I shall certainly be reading the thread and if the muse strikes who knows what may happen. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Lari actually chuckled in his mind. He had meant the fairness within. Long it had been, since he had stopped admiring people from their looks outside. And often he had found, the beauty outside is only to veil the ugliness inside. Not in this case, Lari thought. Though dshelved she looked, she still was fair. Out or in.

But he felt quite at ease, when Telta laughed out. He was always pleased when he was the reason people laughed. He looked at Telta and finally knew, that she was no threat to her. That she could be a good friend.

"I promised Shadowdancer a good grooming. Perhaps we could talk more. I would like to hear what made you decide to become a bard." Telta said.

"I have nothing to do, no place to go. I can do with some company. And some talk." Lari said as they approached Shadowdancer.
"I don't know how or why I became a Bard. It just happened one day. I came across this place. Saw all those wonderful people singing and writing. I do like to make up songs. I presume, that is why. I applied. Masterbard Hue asked me to present some kind of poetry. And I did, so I became a member."

"Sing me a song." Telta smiled and asked him.

It was too sudden. And he always felt uncomfortable singing in front of people. But he had decided not to disappoint this wonderful elf anymore, to build a stronger bond.

"I-I-I will try my best. But I don't think I am a good singer. So please bear with it." He gave a dry laugh.
Telta, now excited, sat back on the grass. And waited like a good audience.

"Since you do know now, from where I come from. And what I have been through, I think you will understand this."

Lari took out his Harp and started with a few notes. And when the sweet music was at the peak he began.

"Beneath the green falling leaves
Covered by the shadows of mighty trees
And wind as blew upon my face
With a soft whisper, a single caress
I wondered if this is the world, the whole of it?

As the days went by, in the peace of night
Beyond a shadow, beyond a fright
Flying birds, soaring high
I knew this is the world I want to know.

When buds and petals opened slight,
When Spring arrived and Winter died,
This life bequeathed to me, by father mine.
Whether morn’s glory or silver sky
Danced and laughed and sang and cried.
For here I will stay forever, thought I.

Alas! Oh great Greenwood, my!
That joy didn’t last forever, why?
The World I had, The World I knew.
Was never meant for me, they lied.
I cried. I cried. That night I cried!
And I have, for you, since every night.

Yet hope I have to return someday
To see you, if not for revenge on them.
Seen a lot of the world outside,
Not as bad as I thought it might.
A strange sensation, a confusing mood.
When I walk through an unseen wood.
Graceful peaks. Slender brooks.
Much to see, much to brood.
But none compare to glory thine.
The green, the life, the silver shine.
Whence the Valar light the sky.

Till then, mighty Eryn Lasgalen!
Fare you well, Fare you well, fare you well….
"
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Telta's situation was a little like Sidhlarion's being alone and with no place in particular to go she had come here. As for company well Shadowdancer did keep her from being to lonely but a good conversationalist he was not. She looked at the tall black horse as he made his way over to her where he stood waiting patiently as he always did. Her trusting companion would wait a bit more while she focused her attention on the bard.

She leaned back and listened to the music Sidhlarion brought forth on the harp the sounds soft and clear his voice in harmony with the tune. He need not worry about not being very good.

The song was sad and it pulled at something inside her. Something she did not want to dwell on. When he finished and the music faded she spoke.

"Such a lovely song yet sad." She stood up. "You put so much of yourself into it. No wonder Hue welcomed you as a member. I am sorry that I missed your audition but I say now congratulations Apprentice Bard Sidhlarion Valenar."
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm

A figure stands quietly amid the trees that lined the area where the big black horse stood. A couple of elves stood by as the one groomed the horse lovingly. The touch was so graceful and caring. The other produced a harp and sang. The song about the lovely Eryn Lasgalen! A tear trickled down her check as she stood by listening and yet not wanting to interrupt the interaction going on. But Vana was so touched by the song of her longed for home. Brushing the tear from her cheek she smiled and stepped into the light and into view of the couple in the way.

"Hail and well met my friends!"

Telta turned to see her old friend and Lari turned to see another lovely lithe figure coming from the trees.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Teltasarewen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Telta must have been tired for she had not heard anything but Sidhlarion's song the gentle breeze blowing through the trees and the soft neighing of Shadowdancer as she groomed him when the half-elf had finished his beautiful song.

" Hail and well met my friends!"

Two heads turned in the direction of the voice. A big smile spread across Telta's face when she saw her dear friend standing there. So surprised and happy to see her that she practically knocked Vana over in her eagerness to greet her friend. The elated elf hugged Vana fiercely then let go realizing just how tightly she had squeezed her. Sidhlarion walked up behind her watching them.

"Vana it's so good to see you. It has been too long. How have you been? Where have you been? What have you been up to? Have you seen Hue? Have you seen the others?" The usually quiet elf fired off her questions quicker than the poor Vana could follow or even have time to answer.
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:45 am

"Hold my friend and I shall tell you all that I can! I have been about walking and enjoying the woods as per my usual self. I have not seen others for some time and as to the matter of Lord Hue, I have not seen him in ages. But it is so good to see you hear once more!!!" with that Vana hugged her friend closely again. "Where have you been for so long?"

The two finally realized that someone else was still standing near silently.

"Oh forgive our rudeness for not acknowledging you as well. I take it you are a friend or apprentice bard? I am Vana, Warrior Bard of Eryn Lasgalen!" Vana curtsied to the young man standing so silently. He smiled back at her and bowed in return. "Your words have touched my heart! Have you been to the woods of Eryn Lasgalen or are those words of another? They are beautiful and very accurate as if you have been there yourself. Thank you for the visions of my home!"
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby siddharth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:31 am

As he finished, Lari saw a hooded figure wtaching them from the bushes. He instantly was alerted, but eased down when the familiar figure of Vana crept out of them. For once, his face lit up, for he had grew to care for this slender elf, who had approached him months ago with a sweet smile and a warm heart.

And he saw Telta running towards her and the friendly affection between the two. And for quite a while the two laughed and talked and laughed again. He decided not to interfere since, as he guessed, Telta was known to Vana long before he had even met her. So he let them be and went back to caressing Telta's beautiful steed, Shadowdancer. The creature was lovely, with a silky smooth skin and dark beautiful eyes.

Then suddenly Vana and Telta came near him. And Vana said "Oh forgive our rudeness for not acknowledging you as well. I take it you are a friend or apprentice bard? I am Vana, Warrior Bard of Eryn Lasgalen! Your words have touched my heart! Have you been to the woods of Eryn Lasgalen or are those words of another? They are beautiful and very accurate as if you have been there yourself. Thank you for the visions of my home!"

Lari's face fell a little. So, she doesn't remember me afterall.
But he soon shrugged the disappointment off. He couldn't blame her for not remembering an apprentice Bard who she had only met at his admittance (though jolly were her memories for him non the less).
He bowed before her and replied graciously. "I am a little astonished for your memory failing to recognise me, My respected Lady. For we have met before, even though for a brief period. Months ago, when I had just been an apprentice. Warm are the shades of that day we met embedded in my memory. Sidhlarion Valenar, to you I bow. Among us Bards you have been a legend. Aye, I have been to Eryn Lasgalen that you speak of, and I was born there, raised there. Fairer than the fairest of woods that lie on Ea. Though many of the souls that dwell nigh it are not as fair now as they were then, when I left." He was about to speak more but was interrupted when Haefa started calling loudly, hungry for some attention from her beloved soul-mate. Lari took leave of the two, and he was glad since he was ever uncomfortable to talk about Eryn Lasgalen "Greenwood" or his past since that fateful day ...

OOC - Good to see you Vanaladiel! Sorry for taking this long! I only post when I have time! Feel free to continue if I ever am absent for a while. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 pm

**Sorry I did not remember that you were using the name Lari here or that you had done your ABC's!**
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby siddharth » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:50 am

You don't have to be. :)

Well, I left you two some space. Keep going! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:14 pm

"Vana I wouldn't know where to start nor do I wish to bore you with my tales." Some of which she would not share for she couldn't bear to speak of them... she thought to herself. "However I can tell you that Shadowdancer has ever been there to take me from place to place in good weather or bad, day or night he never complained."

Vana looked at her a knowing look in her eye. Telta laughed.

"Alright maybe with a little grumbling. Thank you my friend for he is the one thing that has kept me moving. If not for Shadowdancer I'm not sure where I would have ended up." That was not entirely true there was another......

The elf pushed back some stray hair and smiled. She was happy to see her friend after all this time. Vana smiled back and pat her arm then turned speaking to Sidhlarion whom Telta was embarrassd to admit she had forgotten he was there. He was grooming Shadowdancer who had not protested to his administrations.

She thought to make introductions after Vana seemed not to recognize Sidhlarion but the half-elf spoke first. Vana listened and recognition registered on her face as she recalled the time of their meeting. Telta was sure he was going to say more but he was interrupted by Haefa.
The two elves watched as he walked over to the black horse. Her stomach chose that moment to rumble. She rubbed it realizing she had not eaten much in the last few days. It rumbled again only louder this time announcing her hunger to the others. Shrugging her shoulders her face a little pink she spoke.

"Perhaps a bite to eat would not go unwelcome?"
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Vana laughed and said "Come inside and we can round up some food to quiet that grumbling noise within you!" then she headed to the back door and threw it open wide.

"Quick come inside and let us see if we can find anyone else at home." As the others stepped through the door Vana shouted out, "Come my friends and find the welcome of the Bards guild and the Splintered Chamber Pot!" With that the fire place sprang to life with the flames bright and inviting and noises could be heard coming from the kitchen as well as friendly voices .

A soft trill of sound came from above the long mahogany bar of the tap room, where Agarak sat upon his shelf with red eyes sparkling! The smell of food started to drift through the great room. Two shadowy figures stood behind the bar pulling glasses down and filling them with a warm golden liquid then one of the figures drifted over with the tray of drinks presenting each with a glass then drifting off once more to the bar.

"Thank you Flatsom!" Vana nodded though the spirit did not respond but he did nod his head back.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby siddharth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 am

siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Guruthostirn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Hmm, looks like the place got a little dusty while I was gone...

*Picks up a mug with an ancient elvish symbol etched into the surface. A nearby rag is commandeered to wipe away grime and cobwebs*

Looks like I got a little dusty myself.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:11 pm

GURU!!!!! Hi! :D :D :D :D :D
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:36 am

Glad to see you, Guru! Now if our Bard would come here again. I have cookies.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Teltasarewen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 am

Hello Guru!! It's good to see you here.

Cock-Robin would it be possible to have a cookie? I love cookies...and I'm pretty sure Telta does too. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 am

A cookie? Sure, my young apprentice. Have as many as you like!

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Did somebody say cookies?? :P
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 pm

HUE!!!!!!! :hug: PLEASE don't leave us again!!!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:43 am

Wheeee! :D
Lovely to see my seniors back.
This is a joyous reunion! :grouphug: :drink:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Teltasarewen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:42 am

Hue it's great to see you here! :hug: Hope you come around more often. Yeah I know I'm a fine one to talk. :oops:
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:31 am

Awful sorry about the long absence. I got no time anymore or at least it seems that way.

I have a contract that will keep the Center open until the end of this year. After that I am really afraid that it will come to having to close down for lack of funding. I have not given up and am still looking for sources. My fledgling consulting business is moving nicely my reputation keeps the client base healthy Helps with the hustling up more clients too 'cause more will be needed if this becomes my main income.

Dan turned 14 right after Christmas and is growing up real fast, his life is as busy as mine. He's a straight A student and has his band practice and dance lessons and now he has been accepted into an art program for kids at the local college. He loves to draw and they say he has real talent so when this opportunity came up dear old dad got a semi regular gig playing piano to pay for the course. Got a friend that keeps trying to get me to come work for the company he works for, They need someone to head up a grantsmanship program they are developing and he says he keeps throwing my hat into that ring. He says I'd be perfect. Well I don't doubt that, but I've worked in Corporate America for many years long ago or so it seems and it nearly killed me. Not so sure I want to go back to that but then again me and the boy do have that nasty habit of wanting to eat every day.

Well I'm looking at it this way, that was a long time ago, I am different now and know where the traps lie this time around Not ta worry though, I got a nice fat egg nesting in my old 401k from the old corporate job and since I will hit 62 this year, it will be available to tap into and in 3 years it is retirement time. Dan has an account where I put all the insurance money so the kid will have his own start up fund. We'll be fine no matter which way the wind blows. Hmm hadn't thought about it til now but that retiring business sounds right up this old man's ally.

So... How you doin'? :D

erinhue

Postby Teltasarewen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 am

Hey Hue!

For myself I am doing just fine. :D My youngest daughter is on her last few months of college, my eldest daughter has been married for nearly two years and both are doing great. I myself have celebrated anniversary number 29 at the beginning of this month. So all in all everything is running smoothly. Now just get rid of all the snow and -30c temperatures and it will be even better. :D
Teltasarewen
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Dropping in so that you all know I have not died or gone into the West!!! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Hello, friends. Death has visited my my life yet again. My best friend was killed early on the morning of March 24th. Needless to say, I was a mess for a couple days. I've been doing lots better since the funeral Friday, but I still have my moments. I'm just trying to function, and catch up from my week of grief.

I've noticed that I have a tendency to write more/better poetry when I'm in an emotional upheaval (the last one was over a broken heart 2 years ago, the one before that was when my Gram died in 08). This time, It's not getting to where I want it, so a little critique would be appreciated, but please be gentle, this is her poem.

Sister, Friend
Sister,
Not by blood, but of my soul.
We two together made a whole.
Friend,
And more than that, Dear Heart
We were together, even when apart.
Sister--
In Christ, in bond, in song.
By prayer, we made each other strong.
Friend,
Who could always make me smile.
Who always stopped and listened a while.
Sister,
I already miss our deep, deep talks,
Expressed with silly pics and emoticons.
Friend,
Your Minions and penguins make me cry,
You were too young to say good-bye.
Sister,
In Heaven, with no more pain or grief,
You left me here, shaking like a leaf.
Friend,
Who always boldly marched ahead,
You've gone where I can not yet tread.
Sister,
My chest Aches and I can't breathe.
Why did God say you had to leave?
Friend,
I really don't know what to do,
You took a piece of my heart with you.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 am

My friend, I found the writing of poems to be of great help to me when I lost my love. They were none of them any good but it was a great help to expunge that overflow of sad emotion. There is nothing wrong with this, your feelings of loss come through strong. If I were that friend I would consider this a fitting tribute to our friendship. You hit upon the reason it is so hard to get back to "normal" after such a loss. They do indeed take a part of you with them when they cross that sea. My heart goes out to you, Parm may your heart find its healing soon

erinhue

Postby Dimamarthiel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Patriot, that was a beautiful poem. The descriptions of your emotion are perfect. Made me cry.
The Bard's Guild~Bard of Renown~Bardic Daughter of the Stars
Middle Aged Crazy Guild
Dimamarthiel
Bardic Daughter of the Stars

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks, everyone. After a little over a month, I am doing better, but there are days I just want to talk to her, I reach for my phone to text her, then I remember. Those days are hard. *sad smile*

In other news, I've had a drive to write again, mostly due to her. She always encouraged my writing and was following a couple of my originals. After she passed, I was faced with immortality and it struck me that something could happen to me tomorrow, so I've only got today, and If I don't tell my stories, someone else will. And since i want them done right, I had better get them finished. I have decided to finish the one I've been working on the longest (pretty much since I could write, maybe even before). I hope to get a goodly dent in it this week, as I only have one more day to work (Thur) before starting a new job on Monday, and I want to have it finished and in my editor friend's hands by the end of the year. As soon as she's finished with it and I do my second edit, I hope to have it ready enough to start trying to get it published. :-)
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm

For you Heather! :hug: :heart: :rose:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ilyda » Wed May 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Popping in very quickly to say hi. It's been so long! :hihi: Hullo Bards. Good to see you!

Many :hug: to Heather. I have written many poems due to emotional distress. I find it therapeutic to twist anguish (or angst) into art. I hope you've found some comfort in the process too.
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Alliances and Guilds: The Peoples of Middle-earth